Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Things I Learned at the Movies

Go down 
+79
Hot Cancer
The Scientist
Lady Anne
Reepicheep-chan
Exodia's Right Leg
WD40
Petronella
Mouse
zootie
GeorgeUK
grmblfjx
Cunovendus
pgm1962a
Kevin M
Sutremaine
Chris91
Indigo
Jossarian
Freezer
Mr.Doobie
Shingzyl
Barton
Waffles
Yattara
crazzycat
frostflowers
Mary Sue
Raine
Cactus Wren
Mikey Go WOOGA
Dr. Professor Science
kleine_kat
unskilled78
Wandering Critic
Dick Powers
Aggie
The Unoriginal
Keith Fraser
Froggy22651
Electron Blue
Raziel the Wise
Inciter
Maximilia
DarthDarthington
Root Admin
Sakurelf
SokMunkie
KGarrett
Penguin
Roo
Trivia
EileenK98
gaijinguy
Chocho
LeeLee
Jay/Cris
The Bitter One
Rabid Badger
Jenny Islander
Avari
Miss Misery
InkWeaver
rae
Manny
Sheba
Salamas
anangrychocobo
Lembech
KelinciHutan
Lexin
Melissa
DeeDee
fishstickhater
Spotts1701
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
ZoZo
Fitchsticks
Fairlight
I_Lam_Edhellen
83 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Melissa
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Melissa

Things I Learned at the Movies - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Things I Learned at the Movies   Things I Learned at the Movies - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 10:49 am

Didn't Freddy Kruger kill a guy in a wheelchair? It might not count, since he could walk in the dream world. And X-Men 3 might not count since it wasn't technically a horror movie.
Back to top Go down
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

PostSubject: Re: Things I Learned at the Movies   Things I Learned at the Movies - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 11:22 am

Melissa wrote:
Didn't Freddy Kruger kill a guy in a wheelchair? It might not count, since he could walk in the dream world. And X-Men 3 might not count since it wasn't technically a horror movie.
I think the guy in a wheelchair in The Texas Chainsaw Massacre got it, too.
Back to top Go down
DarthDarthington
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
DarthDarthington

PostSubject: Re: Things I Learned at the Movies   Things I Learned at the Movies - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 1:55 pm

ZoZo wrote:
Melissa wrote:
I think the guy in a wheelchair in The Texas Chainsaw Massacre got it, too.

I already mentioned that one.
Back to top Go down
Froggy22651

Froggy22651

PostSubject: Re: Things I Learned at the Movies   Things I Learned at the Movies - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 1:57 pm

As a superpower, the ability to hurl bolts of lightning at opponents is never an instant kill. At the least, it's a flashy form of torture, and at the worst, you have to juice someone for up to a minute to kill them. It never causes your heart to, like, stop beating.

On that same note, electricity is magic. It can do everything from bringing the dead back to life to giving a computer sentience (and often insanity).
Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Harley Quinn hyenaholic

PostSubject: Re: Things I Learned at the Movies   Things I Learned at the Movies - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 4:02 pm

A stab wound is something you can shake off. It's not agonisingly painful - you can go on fighting quite easily.

Stab wounds are not grit-your-teeth-and-bear-it wounds. They are "OH SHIT SHIT SHIT ARGH FUCK!!!" wounds.

The shoulder is not a safe place to be stabbed. It's like the hip for the arm, and there's a major artery there along with complicated muscles and a major joint. You could lose the use of your arm.
Back to top Go down
https://www.fanfiction.net/~breechloader
KGarrett
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
KGarrett

PostSubject: Re: Things I Learned at the Movies   Things I Learned at the Movies - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 6:50 pm

Or bleed to death, if/when the artery is hit.
Back to top Go down
DarthDarthington
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
DarthDarthington

PostSubject: Re: Things I Learned at the Movies   Things I Learned at the Movies - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 8:46 pm

Children are godmoding pricks. The only aversions to this are usually in schlocky horror films (The Toxic Avenger, Maximum Overdrive, Planet Terror) or tearjerkers/high dramas (Schindler's List, Walk the Line), though there are other exceptions.

Someday I want to compile a list of all movies where children beneath the age of 15 die or are explicitly implied to be dead (IE, no "Earth blowing up = dead children" unless it actually shows children being immolated or we hear a parent mourning their exploded kid.)
Back to top Go down
Rabid Badger
And This is Why I Need Medication
And This is Why I Need Medication
Rabid Badger

PostSubject: Re: Things I Learned at the Movies   Things I Learned at the Movies - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 9:43 pm

DarthDarthington wrote:
Children are godmoding pricks. The only aversions to this are usually in schlocky horror films (The Toxic Avenger, Maximum Overdrive, Planet Terror) or tearjerkers/high dramas (Schindler's List, Walk the Line), though there are other exceptions.

Someday I want to compile a list of all movies where children beneath the age of 15 die or are explicitly implied to be dead (IE, no "Earth blowing up = dead children" unless it actually shows children being immolated or we hear a parent mourning their exploded kid.)

Not a movie, but there was an episode of Torchwood (Sleeper) in which the trope was subverted when the mother got taken control of by aliens. You didn't actually see the baby die, but you did see her let go of the pram, which rolled into heavy traffic; then there was a crash, and people screaming. It was fairly obvious to anyone watching the pram was hit by a car and the kid killed.
Back to top Go down
Keith Fraser
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Keith Fraser

PostSubject: Re: Things I Learned at the Movies   Things I Learned at the Movies - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 12:12 am

DarthDarthington wrote:

An example of the Earth quasi-blowing up and children explicitly dying appears in SDF Macross/Robotech when the Zentraedi bombard the Earth's entire surface into rubble from orbit. We see cities going up in flames and people being blown away, including a small child who a soldier tries to shield from the blastwave. I was watching the American TV dubbed/edited version (Robotech) when I saw it, and my jaw dropped when I realized this would have been shown on American kids' TV in the early 80s.
Back to top Go down
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

PostSubject: Re: Things I Learned at the Movies   Things I Learned at the Movies - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 2:54 am

Rabid Badger wrote:
DarthDarthington wrote:

Not a movie, but there was an episode of Torchwood (Sleeper) in which the trope was subverted when the mother got taken control of by aliens. You didn't actually see the baby die, but you did see her let go of the pram, which rolled into heavy traffic; then there was a crash, and people screaming. It was fairly obvious to anyone watching the pram was hit by a car and the kid killed.
See also: the recent Torchwood miniseries.
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: Things I Learned at the Movies   Things I Learned at the Movies - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 8:05 am

DarthDarthington wrote:

Well, there are a few movies based on Steven King novels that have kids die. King'll kill a kid, no problem. Pet Sematary comes to mind. There's also It, The Mist and Salem's Lot. Carrie had teenagers die. Since many of them had cars, they were probably over 16. Same with Christine. They're horror films, but I don't know if I'd call them schlocky. King has apologized numerous occasions for Maximum Overdrive.
Does it count if it was based on a true story? (Schindler's List and Walk the Line both were.) The film Ray had a really scary scene where Ray hallucinated (can blind people hallucinate?) that his brother's dead body was in his suitcase.
Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Harley Quinn hyenaholic

PostSubject: Re: Things I Learned at the Movies   Things I Learned at the Movies - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 9:56 am

In the Pitch Black movies, kids died.
Back to top Go down
The Unoriginal
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
The Unoriginal

PostSubject: Re: Things I Learned at the Movies   Things I Learned at the Movies - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 11:51 am

Didn't the girl who had been rescued in Alien 2 die at the very start of Alien 3? The rescue pod crashed, and only Ripley was pulled out alive.

Also: No one ever has a headache just because. Either it's a hangover, or a brain cancer in its early stage.
Also: your hair will not be flat and greasy after you've been lying in a hospital bed for weeks. Even patients in a coma get their hair done weekly, by nurses.
(Well, you have to justify the IC bill somehow)
Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Harley Quinn hyenaholic

PostSubject: Re: Things I Learned at the Movies   Things I Learned at the Movies - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 2:02 pm

If you have a happy ending to a relationship in one movie, it won't last to the sequel. They either split up, or somebody dies. This is because babies and happy, stable relationships get in the way of the plot.

Observe Batman. The films end with him hooking up (except Batman Returns). By the next, they've gone their seperate ways.

And Transformers. William Lennox, possibly the only decent human character, is fighting to get back home to his wife and child. By number two, he's hardly mentioned. Because that happy marriage would get in the way of the plot.
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: Things I Learned at the Movies   Things I Learned at the Movies - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 3:53 pm

The Unoriginal wrote:
Didn't the girl who had been rescued in Alien 2 die at the very start of Alien 3? The rescue pod crashed, and only Ripley was pulled out alive.

Also: No one ever has a headache just because. Either it's a hangover, or a brain cancer in its early stage.
Also: your hair will not be flat and greasy after you've been lying in a hospital bed for weeks. Even patients in a coma get their hair done weekly, by nurses.
(Well, you have to justify the IC bill somehow)

Sometimes people in movies get headaches from stress. Like the "Eet's not a too-muh!" line in Kindergarten Cop. The coma patient in Monkey Bone gets his hair and beard groomed by his girlfriend. Those are the only exceptions I can think of.
Back to top Go down
SokMunkie
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
SokMunkie

PostSubject: Re: Things I Learned at the Movies   Things I Learned at the Movies - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 5:04 pm

Melissa wrote:
Ray had a really scary scene where Ray hallucinated (can blind people hallucinate?) that his brother's dead body was in his suitcase.
Well since he wasn't blind from birth, I would think it's possible.
Back to top Go down
The Unoriginal
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
The Unoriginal

PostSubject: Re: Things I Learned at the Movies   Things I Learned at the Movies - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 6:26 pm

Melissa wrote:
Sometimes people in movies get headaches from stress. Like the "Eet's not a too-muh!" line in Kindergarten Cop. The coma patient in Monkey Bone gets his hair and beard groomed by his girlfriend. Those are the only exceptions I can think of.
You're right, I had forgotten that. Probably because stress headache in movies is cured by a single Excedrin chewed on the go. When I get 'stress headache', it's either Aulin and a darkened bedroom or a bullet to the head - they're that bad.
Back to top Go down
DeeDee
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
DeeDee

PostSubject: Re: Things I Learned at the Movies   Things I Learned at the Movies - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 12:11 am

If some mysterious "researcher" tries to recruit you for a "study" that involves you and an eclectic group of people spending the night in some notorious or supposedly haunted location, don't agree to it.

All computer viruses feature some sort of fancy animation such as a worm slithering across your screen. And they all result in your computer dying suddenly.

If a single father has a girlfriend or fiancee, she will be a complete bitch who hates his children and wants his money.

And the dad will always end up with the nicer woman who loves his kids.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Things I Learned at the Movies   Things I Learned at the Movies - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 10:46 am

"Caprica Six" snapped a baby's neck to spare it the coming nuclear holocaust in the beginning of BSG.
Back to top Go down
I_Lam_Edhellen
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
I_Lam_Edhellen

PostSubject: Re: Things I Learned at the Movies   Things I Learned at the Movies - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 11:43 am

Find some electromagnetic energy, and that means you've got a ghost on your hands. Things like desk lamps and power outlets never produce it.

If premature aging was caused by a virus/nanobots/magic spell, once said things are removed, you go back to appearing your actual age, no matter how hunch-backed, bald, and arthritic you became. Oh, and the hair will grow back, no matter how long it was, to the same length it was before the aging.
Back to top Go down
http://www.realelvish.net
Aggie
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Aggie

PostSubject: Re: Things I Learned at the Movies   Things I Learned at the Movies - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 4:51 pm

Does The Day After count as a horror movie? If so, there were a few shots of children getting trampled and vaporized.

If I recall correctly, The Blob also had a child being killed.
Back to top Go down
LeeLee
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
LeeLee

PostSubject: Re: Things I Learned at the Movies   Things I Learned at the Movies - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 9:29 pm

They kill the little boy in Sleepy Hollow. My mom hates that movie.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Things I Learned at the Movies   Things I Learned at the Movies - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 08, 2009 4:45 am

Every bullet carries a Death Curse that is cast on the victim on impact. People rarely actually have to bleed out from the wound or sustain significant damage to the central nervous system: A shot to the abdomen is instant death.

Harley Quinn hyenaholic wrote:
A stab wound is something you can shake off. It's not agonisingly painful - you can go on fighting quite easily.

Stab wounds are not grit-your-teeth-and-bear-it wounds. They are "OH SHIT SHIT SHIT ARGH FUCK!!!" wounds.

The shoulder is not a safe place to be stabbed. It's like the hip for the arm, and there's a major artery there along with complicated muscles and a major joint. You could lose the use of your arm.

A lot of how someone reacts to a wound depends on that person's tolerance, and often how much adrenaline and other chemicals are running through their system at the time. The same wound that would make you squeal like a stuck pig might make someone else grunt, or they might not even notice in some situations.

It's actually common practice now after firefights to check over everyone else in your unit, even if they look perfectly fine, as they might be wounded but not know it yet.
Back to top Go down
Maximilia
My spoon is too big.
My spoon is too big.
Maximilia

PostSubject: Re: Things I Learned at the Movies   Things I Learned at the Movies - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 08, 2009 8:34 am

A bullet has enough mass and velocity to throw people back fifteen feet. Trufax. And if there is a window behind them, they are going through it, no matter what.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Things I Learned at the Movies   Things I Learned at the Movies - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 08, 2009 8:35 am

Maximilia wrote:
A bullet has enough mass and velocity to throw people back fifteen feet.

The person launching said projectile, however, will at worst suffer a little muzzle flip.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Things I Learned at the Movies   Things I Learned at the Movies - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Things I Learned at the Movies
Page 4 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next