Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead

Go down 
+15
Penguin
Maximilia
Chris91
Disco Stu
spork
Cyberwulf
bleachedblackcat
Jay/Cris
Mr.Doobie
Reepicheep-chan
grmblfjx
TheHedonist
Reidmar
Mikey Go WOOGA
ZOOLANDER
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
ZOOLANDER
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
ZOOLANDER

Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead Empty
PostSubject: Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead   Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 4:23 am

Article and comments here

Quote :
TOWNSVILLE soldiers have been ordered not to have a beer with their mates after the dawn service on Anzac Day.
A direction from Brigadier Shane Caughey, Commander 3rd Brigade, was issued last week to ensure soldiers stayed sober enough to participate in Anzac Day marches that are scheduled to occur between 9.30am and noon.

"The reason this direction was provided was to ensure all serving members are able to participate with the community in community Anzac Day activities," he said.

The only alcohol any of the 3500 serving soldiers of 3rd Brigade can consume before noon is some rum added to their coffee as part of traditional gun fire breakfast activities within each unit, before the dawn service.

Sounds fairly reasonable, right? Getting pissed out of your gourd while in uniform (and technically on duty, even if only for ceremonial reasons), isn't going to do the Army's public image any favours.

Quote :
Soldiers caught drinking between the dawn service and the completion of the Anzac Day march are expected to face disciplinary action. The order has caused outrage with soldiers wanting it overturned so they can have a beer with their mates, many of whom fought alongside each other in Afghanistan and Iraq.

A serving soldier, who wished to remain anonymous, said it was "un-Australian" to ban Diggers from having a beer with each other after the dawn service.

"I'm old enough for my country to send me overseas and shoot people but apparently I can't be trusted to have a few beers with my mates on Anzac Day," he said.

"This is the first time in my 18 years in the army that this has ever happened. It's un-Australian and has to be dealt with."

The drinking culture in this country really pisses me off. OK, you want to have a beer with those you served with. SO HAVE YOUR BEER IN THE AFTERNOON, IT'S NOT LIKE YOU WERE BANNED FROM DRINKING FOR THE ENTIRE DAY! "wah wah wah, it's un-Australian!" I don't drink at all except for urgent pain relief, does that make me un-Australian? What a crock of shit. If you can't wait six fucking hours between beers (from the dawn service to the end of marching), you have a drinking problem. We're getting worse than the Irish.

Quote :
Brig Caughey said soldiers would then be able "to move to the RSL and other establishments to raise a glass to mates and colleagues old and new, near and far".
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead   Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 12:52 pm

Clopper wrote:
I don't drink at all except for urgent pain relief

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Alcohol isn't URGENT. It takes a short time to sink in. And you'd have to drink quite a lot of it for it to kill pain as well as Advil. And there are probably a dozen other reasons that Advil would work better.

That is SO STUPID that, even coming from you, I feel like I'm being trolled.
Back to top Go down
Reidmar
Reidmar

Location : A string of Code in the Interwebz( IF living = true input ragequit)

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead   Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 1:35 pm

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
This.
Back to top Go down
TheHedonist
TheHedonist

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead   Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 1:51 pm

Yeeeeeah 'self-medication' through alcohol is really just an excuse to take the occasional bender, in my experience. Try again.
Back to top Go down
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead   Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 1:56 pm

TheHedonist wrote:
'self-medication' through alcohol is really just an excuse to take the occasional bender, in my experience.

...I can't tell whether that's supposed to have homosexual subtext, or not, or whether that's actually point-blank what you're saying.
Back to top Go down
Reepicheep-chan
Important Person
Important Person
Reepicheep-chan

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead   Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 1:59 pm

^ Teehee <3
Back to top Go down
Reidmar
Reidmar

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead   Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 2:06 pm

grmblfjx wrote:
homosexual subtext.
Hedon/Cris anyone?
Back to top Go down
TheHedonist
TheHedonist

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead   Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 4:24 pm

grmblfjx wrote:
TheHedonist wrote:
'self-medication' through alcohol is really just an excuse to take the occasional bender, in my experience.

...I can't tell whether that's supposed to have homosexual subtext, or not, or whether that's actually point-blank what you're saying.

Quote :
bend-er
n
1. Informal a drinking bout
2. Brit derogatory slang a male homosexual
3. (Miscellaneous Technologies / Building) Informal a makeshift shelter constructed by placing tarpaulin or plastic sheeting over bent saplings or woven branches

I meant 1, not 2, dear :p Though that could've been phrased a hell of a lot better.

In retrospect all of your readings are pretty much on the money, though.

Edit:
Reidmar wrote:
grmblfjx wrote:
homosexual subtext.
Hedon/Cris anyone?
OMG someone ships me with someone?

Clearly I have arrived.
Back to top Go down
ZOOLANDER
ZOOLANDER

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead   Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 11:11 pm

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Clopper wrote:
I don't drink at all except for urgent pain relief

Alcohol isn't URGENT. It takes a short time to sink in. And you'd have to drink quite a lot of it for it to kill pain as well as Advil. And there are probably a dozen other reasons that Advil would work better.

Three reasons why it's not stupid:

1) The medication I take for panic attacks is processed directly by the liver, which means alcohol tolerance goes through the floor. I only need a couple of glasses of wine to tone down back and joint pain when it gets too much. 2) OTC pain meds can only get you so far and stuffing down large amounts of ibuprofen is a bad idea because it's acidic. 3) Cheap Italian bubbly is tastier than pills.

Shut the fuck up and get back on topic, Mikey, because you have no fucking idea what you're talking about.

Hedonist: You try dealing with doctors who have no fucking idea why your joints randomly hurt and refuse to give you anything better than diclofenac (forcing you to either booze up, or if the booze doesn't work, head for the ER when things get REALLY bad), then you can talk.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Mr.Doobie

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead   Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 1:55 am

How hardcore you are, Clop. You win the Hardcore Punx Crown of Eternal Virginity +2. How does it feel?
Back to top Go down
Jay/Cris
The Word Police
The Word Police
Jay/Cris

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead   Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 4:08 am

Reidmar wrote:
grmblfjx wrote:
homosexual subtext.
Hedon/Cris anyone?

Why am I the last in this ship-name?
Back to top Go down
http://www.crisiks.livejournal.com
bleachedblackcat
bleachedblackcat

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead   Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 6:27 am

Quote :
1) The medication I take for panic attacks is processed directly by the liver, which means alcohol tolerance goes through the floor. I only need a couple of glasses of wine to tone down back and joint pain when it gets too much.

I really hope that you're trolling. Otherwise I have to say that joint pain might be bad, but ending up with a fucked up liver isn't going to be doing you any favors either.
Back to top Go down
Reidmar
Reidmar

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead   Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 7:32 am

Jay/Cris wrote:
Reidmar wrote:
grmblfjx wrote:
homosexual subtext.
Hedon/Cris anyone?

Because He-cris sounds funnier than Crisdon. Colbert
Back to top Go down
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead   Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 8:40 am

bleachedblackcat wrote:
Quote :
1) The medication I take for panic attacks is processed directly by the liver, which means alcohol tolerance goes through the floor. I only need a couple of glasses of wine to tone down back and joint pain when it gets too much.

I really hope that you're trolling. Otherwise I have to say that joint pain might be bad, but ending up with a fucked up liver isn't going to be doing you any favors either.

"My liver is already weakened! This is my chance for the final blow!"

Reidmar wrote:
Jay/Cris wrote:

Because He-cris sounds funnier than Crisdon. Colbert
The order of names more often than not implies who's the dominant partner, and/or top v. bottom. Being concerned with the sound of it is nice and all, but you just specifically said how you imagine their sexings and overall relationship dynamic.

Jussayin'.
Back to top Go down
ZOOLANDER
ZOOLANDER

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead   Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 11:09 am

bleachedblackcat wrote:
Quote :

Not trolling. Don't worry about my liver, though, I usually don't keep booze in my flat and I only bother to buy some if the pain's been bad for a while (and I haven't had any painkillers long beforehand) but not bad enough for the ER. It's not something I do every time.
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead   Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 2:16 pm

xerrohoof wrote:
1) The medication I take for panic attacks is processed directly by the liver, which means alcohol tolerance goes through the floor. I only need a couple of glasses of wine to tone down back and joint pain when it gets too much. 2) OTC pain meds can only get you so far and stuffing down large amounts of ibuprofen is a bad idea because it's acidic. 3) Cheap Italian bubbly is tastier than pills.

[...]

Hedonist: You try dealing with doctors who have no fucking idea why your joints randomly hurt

xerrohoof wrote:
I usually don't keep booze in my flat and I only bother to buy some if the pain's been bad for a while

This is all sooo good to know.

bleachedblackcat wrote:
Quote :

Don't listen to her, HopClop. You drink all the booze you want.
Back to top Go down
ZOOLANDER
ZOOLANDER

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead   Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 2:39 am

Cyberwulf wrote:

Cool, then I can spew in your mailbox. Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead 294254 Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead 294254 Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead 294254 Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead 556166 Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead 831506
Back to top Go down
spork
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
spork

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead   Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 3:53 am

Can't believe those soldiers started drinking whine. I never drink whine, it's much worse for your health than beer. Wink
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead   Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 3:08 pm

oh god please tell me you're not serious
Back to top Go down
Reidmar
Reidmar

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead   Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 4:27 pm

Cyberwulf wrote:
oh god please tell me you're not serious
Hate to break it to you but he's serious.
Back to top Go down
spork
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
spork

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead   Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 11:53 pm

Quote :

Xerrofoot: I have a drinking problem.

Cyberwulf: NOOOO, seek help please!

Xerrofoot: Stop being mean to me. Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead 309696

Cyberwulf: ..

Spork: *brain melting dumb joke about misreading Xerrofoot*

Cyberwulf: Quit it, you idiot!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

She really cares about you, Xerrofoot. Can't you see?
Back to top Go down
ZOOLANDER
ZOOLANDER

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead   Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 3:46 am

Oh yeah, I can really feel the love. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
spork
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
spork

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead   Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 5:53 am

There is a saying that the opposite of love is indifference.

Cyberwulf wrote:
I can only read this as basic good advice, albeit served with plenty of sarcasm (but that helps to get a point across sometimes). Given what you said to her before, it's touching that she still worries about your health. Someone who didn't care wouldn't have bothered to say anything, methinks.

Also, "HopClop"? Man, I wish someone called me that. <3
Back to top Go down
Reidmar
Reidmar

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead   Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 1:22 pm

spork wrote:
QFT.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead   Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 12:33 pm

spork wrote:

We will if you furiously masturbate to a children's cartoon wherein the majority of the characters are underage equines. Colbert
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead   Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead Empty

Back to top Go down

Soldiers ordered not to drink beer for part of ANZAC Day, turn to whine instead
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next