Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Nightclub faces backlash over sexist cocktail names

Go down 
+21
SirDixonDongs
rae
Aggie
bleachedblackcat
Lady Anne
Cyberwulf
Reidmar
WD40
V3N0M
Chris91
Mikey Go WOOGA
TheHedonist
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Mr.Doobie
grmblfjx
Jay/Cris
Disco Stu
Sparrow
ZOOLANDER
Reepicheep-chan
Penguin
25 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
ZOOLANDER
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
ZOOLANDER

Nightclub faces backlash over sexist cocktail names Empty
PostSubject: Nightclub faces backlash over sexist cocktail names   Nightclub faces backlash over sexist cocktail names EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 1:33 am

Sauce: Linkovich Clickonsky

Quote :
A BRISBANE nightclub is at the centre of a social media storm over its promotion of drinks with sexist names.

Spectrum Daiquiri Bar in Fortitude Valley has earned condemnation by the in-your-face names and descriptions of by naming two of its cocktails Winey Bitch and Red-Headed Slut.

South-east Queensland: Australia's Florida. Same climate and everything.

Quote :
The club has attracted thousands of complaints on Facebook and Twitter in the past three days, with the overwhelming majority attacking the owners for alleged misogyny.

Facebook, it seems, is attracting connoisseurs of both fine wine and fine whine. Nightclub faces backlash over sexist cocktail names 723337

Quote :
"As if Fortitude Valley wasn't tacky or dangerous enough.These names demean women in an area where drinking and violence go hand in hand," Liz Catt posted.

"Bravo, Spectrum. In a country where alcohol is a major factor in both domestic violence and sexual assault, you manage to combine them all in your drink names," Nicole Jameson said.

And yet no-one said a damn thing about the Screaming Orgasm, the perfect storm of sugared alcohol and sexual references. Hypocrites.

Quote :
In a statement, Spectrum's owners said they were reviewing the names and descriptions of the drinks, with a decision to be made in due course.

One thing I can never understand about incidents like this is why they didn't look at the drink names to begin with and think "what am I going to end up saying with that?"

Personally, I prefer red-headed sluts bent over my couch as opposed to sitting in a daiquiri glass, but as always YMMV.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Nightclub faces backlash over sexist cocktail names   Nightclub faces backlash over sexist cocktail names EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 3:34 am

It's good to know that Australia is doing so well that they so much free time that they can complain about shit like this. Good for them.
Back to top Go down
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

PostSubject: Re: Nightclub faces backlash over sexist cocktail names   Nightclub faces backlash over sexist cocktail names EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 4:25 am

xerrofoot wrote:
And yet no-one said a damn thing about the Screaming Orgasm, the perfect storm of sugared alcohol and sexual references. Hypocrites.
See, the funny thing about that is that men can have orgasms too (which you may or may not have known), meaning the term isn't gender specific and can't be sexist. Crude, sure; cheesy, awkward, stupid; but not sexist.
Back to top Go down
ZOOLANDER
ZOOLANDER

PostSubject: Re: Nightclub faces backlash over sexist cocktail names   Nightclub faces backlash over sexist cocktail names EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 8:34 am

grmblfjx wrote:
xerrofoot wrote:
See, the funny thing about that is that men can have orgasms too (which you may or may not have known), meaning the term isn't gender specific and can't be sexist. Crude, sure; cheesy, awkward, stupid; but not sexist.

I'm quite familiar with orgasms, thank you. But do you mean to tell me that men can't be sluts? (Or man-whores, if you prefer.) Sounds like the old double standard rearing its head again.

Mikey wrote:
It's good to know that Australia is doing so well that they so much free time that they can complain about shit like this. Good for them.

I've heard of Americans dialling 911 over less. Dry
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Nightclub faces backlash over sexist cocktail names   Nightclub faces backlash over sexist cocktail names EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 8:51 am

xerrofoot wrote:
I've heard of Americans dialling 911 over less. Dry

And I've heard of Australians who're you. Dry
Back to top Go down
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

PostSubject: Re: Nightclub faces backlash over sexist cocktail names   Nightclub faces backlash over sexist cocktail names EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 9:27 am

xerrofoot wrote:
do you mean to tell me that men can't be sluts?
Oh, sure, 'slut' is totally not a gender-specific term, which is why you made sure to tell us what kind of red-headed slut you'd like bent over your couch.
Back to top Go down
Reepicheep-chan
Important Person
Important Person
Reepicheep-chan

PostSubject: Re: Nightclub faces backlash over sexist cocktail names   Nightclub faces backlash over sexist cocktail names EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 10:12 am

This is great news! Man, I would love it so much if all those terrible misogynistic mix-drink names would just vanish.
Back to top Go down
ZOOLANDER
ZOOLANDER

PostSubject: Re: Nightclub faces backlash over sexist cocktail names   Nightclub faces backlash over sexist cocktail names EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 11:44 am

grmblfjx wrote:
xerrofoot wrote:
do you mean to tell me that men can't be sluts?
Oh, sure, 'slut' is totally not a gender-specific term, which is why you made sure to tell us what kind of red-headed slut you'd like bent over your couch.

Does it matter?
Back to top Go down
TheHedonist
TheHedonist

PostSubject: Re: Nightclub faces backlash over sexist cocktail names   Nightclub faces backlash over sexist cocktail names EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 12:07 pm

xerrofoot wrote:
Does it matter?
Seeing as it's a clearly gendered term and the place is being criticized for sexism, yes.

People think you're either a troll or an autist but I, currently, am of the mind that you're just an idiot.

Not that these three things are mutually exclusive. I just feel bad making fun of someone with a disability.
Back to top Go down
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

PostSubject: Re: Nightclub faces backlash over sexist cocktail names   Nightclub faces backlash over sexist cocktail names EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 1:38 pm

xerrofoot wrote:
Does it matter?
Whether you want to fuck men or women or both? Suit yourself. My point is that 'slut' is a term generally used for women, just like 'jerk' or 'dick' describe men (and I'm not going to have an argument with anyone about whether those words are the same level of offensive; my point is that they're gender-specific), and you saying "I'd like a redheaded slut bent over my couch" relays the idea of a woman unless you specify otherwise. Hence, gendered.
'Orgasm' can't be sexist, because it's not assigned to a specific sex.

Also, y'know, it's not a slur. Both 'bitch' and 'slut' are derogatory.

And while I'm at it: I understand what you're trying to say, that "men can be sluts, too", but I disagree in the sense that 'slut' describes someone as being promiscuous and promiscuous as being inherently bad, which I don't believe in.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Mr.Doobie

PostSubject: Re: Nightclub faces backlash over sexist cocktail names   Nightclub faces backlash over sexist cocktail names EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 2:25 pm

Quote :
But do you mean to tell me that men can't be sluts?

.... what?

Are you saying only sluts have screaming orgasms?
Back to top Go down
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

PostSubject: Re: Nightclub faces backlash over sexist cocktail names   Nightclub faces backlash over sexist cocktail names EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 3:07 pm

Does it count if you have a lot of sex, but always with the same guy?

Asking for a friend.
Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Harley Quinn hyenaholic

PostSubject: Re: Nightclub faces backlash over sexist cocktail names   Nightclub faces backlash over sexist cocktail names EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 4:36 pm

There's nothing wrong with being a slut! How can you people say such a thing?!
Back to top Go down
https://www.fanfiction.net/~breechloader
TheHedonist
TheHedonist

PostSubject: Re: Nightclub faces backlash over sexist cocktail names   Nightclub faces backlash over sexist cocktail names EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 4:53 pm

Harley Quinn hyenaholic wrote:
There's nothing wrong with being a slut! How can you people say such a thing?!
They're not saying that sleeping with a bunch of people is a bad thing all on its own, Harl.

They're saying that the word has a negative connotation.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Mr.Doobie

PostSubject: Re: Nightclub faces backlash over sexist cocktail names   Nightclub faces backlash over sexist cocktail names EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 5:27 pm

grmblfjx wrote:

Does it count if you have a lot of sex, but always with the same guy?

Asking for a friend.

Is the guy Tyler Perry or does he have dissociative personality disorder?
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Nightclub faces backlash over sexist cocktail names   Nightclub faces backlash over sexist cocktail names EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 8:14 pm

Gumball wrote:
I disagree in the sense that 'slut' describes someone as being promiscuous and promiscuous as being inherently bad, which I don't believe in.

Because you're a whore, clearly. Colbert
Back to top Go down
Sparrow
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Sparrow

PostSubject: Re: Nightclub faces backlash over sexist cocktail names   Nightclub faces backlash over sexist cocktail names EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 9:54 pm

Pointless post. This thread reminded me that I have a friend who does owe me a Red-Headed Slut and a Screaming Orgasm from one of the local bars the next time she's in town.
Back to top Go down
http://sparrow779.livejournal.com/
Disco Stu
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Disco Stu

PostSubject: Re: Nightclub faces backlash over sexist cocktail names   Nightclub faces backlash over sexist cocktail names EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 2:08 am

I like Kissing Sluts and Redheaded Sluts a LOT.
Back to top Go down
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

PostSubject: Re: Nightclub faces backlash over sexist cocktail names   Nightclub faces backlash over sexist cocktail names EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 5:57 am

Mr.Doobie wrote:
Is the guy Tyler Perry or does he have dissociative personality disorder?
No.

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
I've been sleeping with the same guy for more than a decade. I get around, yeah.
Back to top Go down
Jay/Cris
The Word Police
The Word Police
Jay/Cris

PostSubject: Re: Nightclub faces backlash over sexist cocktail names   Nightclub faces backlash over sexist cocktail names EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 10:37 am

grmblfjx wrote:
Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
I've been sleeping with the same guy for more than a decade. I get around, yeah.

But you're not married. You're not married!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.crisiks.livejournal.com
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

PostSubject: Re: Nightclub faces backlash over sexist cocktail names   Nightclub faces backlash over sexist cocktail names EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 11:29 am

And that makes me a whore? Well, shit, he owes me ten years worth of wages, then.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Mr.Doobie

PostSubject: Re: Nightclub faces backlash over sexist cocktail names   Nightclub faces backlash over sexist cocktail names EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 2:43 pm

I thought the question is, are you a slut? If I remember the finer points of schoolyard debates from elementary school, sluts don't get paid, but whores do!

These differences are very important, see?
Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Harley Quinn hyenaholic

PostSubject: Re: Nightclub faces backlash over sexist cocktail names   Nightclub faces backlash over sexist cocktail names EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 7:17 pm

At least being a whore is profitable...
Back to top Go down
https://www.fanfiction.net/~breechloader
TheHedonist
TheHedonist

PostSubject: Re: Nightclub faces backlash over sexist cocktail names   Nightclub faces backlash over sexist cocktail names EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 8:39 pm

TBH being a slut is pretty much its own reward.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Nightclub faces backlash over sexist cocktail names   Nightclub faces backlash over sexist cocktail names EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 8:45 pm

Gumball wrote:
And that makes me a whore? Well, shit, he owes me ten years worth of wages, then.

Has he ever bought you a meal or drink or anything? That was your payment.

Observe.

TheHedonist wrote:

TBH being a slut is pretty much its own reward.

Yes but whore = slut + money.

Clearly, whore is the better option. Colbert
Back to top Go down

Nightclub faces backlash over sexist cocktail names
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next