Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed

Go down 
+14
Delcat
Maximilia
Exodia's Right Leg
Miss Prince
ZoZo
grmblfjx
Aggie
gaijinguy
Mafiosa
rae
Theaphelia
Bamshalam
Cyberwulf
Raine
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Raine
Challenge Winner!
Challenge Winner!
Raine

Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed Empty
PostSubject: Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed   Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed EmptyWed Oct 07, 2009 4:45 pm

Story here

Quote :
Apparently enough time had elapsed since Michael Jackson’s death that a cheeky comic tribute to him and the Jackson 5 seemed in good taste. At least it seemed that way a troupe of Aussie TV performers, who rounded out last night’s performance as the “Jackson Jive” in full-on blackface. The crowd ate it up, but an American judge who knew better ground the show to a halt until somebody apologized.

It wasn’t supposed to be like this for Harry Connick Jr. or the iconic Aussie variety series Hey Hey It’s Saturday, for whom the midweek show represented a much-anticipated reunion special. But there they were: The Jackson Jive, all Afro wigs and black face paint, led by their late superstar brother, Michael, done up with a pasty clown visage and aviator sunglasses. Not cool, said Connick: “If they turned up looking like that in the United States, it’d be like Hey Hey There’s No More Show,” the crooner spat, giving the group a score of zero in the episode’s mock-talent competition.

The host brought Connick — who’d appeared on the show before — back out after the break for an official mea culpa: “I know that to your countrymen, that’s an insult to have a blackface routine like that on the show, so I do apologize.” Connick thanked him, adding, “I know it was done humorously, but we’ve spent so much time trying to not make black people look like buffoons, that when we see something like that, we take it really to heart.” As if this weren’t the year two-thousand-and-freaking-nine. “If I knew that was going to be part of the show, I probably - I definitely - wouldn’t have done it.”

The "tribute" to him? Here it is:

It wasn't acceptable then, and isn't now. I feel my country is full of idiots, that's for sure. Some of the comments on the Youtube videos are proof of that...

Quote :
typical... why do americans have to be so politically correct it was done as a laugh. Australia have a sense of humor. He's only said anything so he doesnt get in trouble back in the land of the 'free'! Dont ever invite him back.

Quote :
The fact is this is AUSTRALIA and the majority of watchers find it entertaining we should no apologise because we offend another nation. Do we apologise to middle eastern countries for our TV showing semi-naked women? Don't get me wrong - I absolutely love America but I do not believe their culture should influence our nation.

Quote :
There is nothing racist about this. It is a parody only of the Jackson Five, not black people in general. Quite besides that, Michael Jackson hasn't been black in a long time. Race and skin colour are simply not of any significance to us here, and are certainly not an indicator of a persons merit. That is why we feel comfortable joking about it. Other countries should take note and learn from us.

Haha, yeah, let's just forget about what the government did to the Aboriginal community by taking their children away well into the 70-80s and trying to reeducate them to be "more white". Australia might have a lot of comedians that send up their own cultures/race, but it still doesn't make things like this skit acceptable - especially in the face of an equal rights advocate.

Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed 846489
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed   Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed EmptyWed Oct 07, 2009 4:51 pm

I got as far as 0:57 before my brain went "HOLY JESUS CHRIST BLACKFACE ACTUALLY MEANS BLACK FACE HERE THEY LOOK LIKE GOLLIWOGS WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK HOW CAN ANYONE BE STUPID ENOUGH TO THINK THAT'S IN ANY WAY ACCEPTABLE"

Quote :
Race and skin colour are simply not of any significance to us here

Spoken like a true dumb chalky.
Back to top Go down
Bamshalam
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Bamshalam

PostSubject: Re: Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed   Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed EmptyWed Oct 07, 2009 5:01 pm

Cyberwulf wrote:
Quote :
Race and skin colour are simply not of any significance to us here

Spoken like a true dumb chalky.
They got me at "Other countries should take note and learn from us." LOL WAT. IT'S FUCKING CLASSICAL BLACKFACE.

And by the by, dumbassed youtube commenters, if you're depicting American people in your racist skits, you sure had better damned well take American racial perceptions into account.
Back to top Go down
Theaphelia
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Theaphelia

PostSubject: Re: Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed   Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed EmptyWed Oct 07, 2009 5:04 pm

Even if it weren't in bad taste, it's still not all that funny.
Back to top Go down
rae
Contributor
Contributor
rae

PostSubject: Re: Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed   Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed EmptyWed Oct 07, 2009 5:09 pm

I started the video, thinking, "Surely this is an exagger-- Oh. My. God."

Are there Americans loudly defending the Australian 'right' to blackface yet?
Back to top Go down
Bamshalam
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Bamshalam

PostSubject: Re: Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed   Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed EmptyWed Oct 07, 2009 5:11 pm

No, it's pretty much all Australians so far.
Back to top Go down
Raine
Challenge Winner!
Challenge Winner!
Raine

PostSubject: Re: Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed   Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed EmptyWed Oct 07, 2009 5:22 pm

I should just point out that the guys in the skit actually talked to the producers beforehand about it, yet they still let it go through.

Many people are saying this is all an over-reaction, but in hindsight it would have been better just not to have done a skit like this at all.
Back to top Go down
Mafiosa
You crack me up, little buddy!

PostSubject: Re: Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed   Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed EmptyWed Oct 07, 2009 5:28 pm

Holy christ. The fuck is wrong with you Australia!
Back to top Go down
gaijinguy
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
gaijinguy

PostSubject: Re: Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed   Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed EmptyWed Oct 07, 2009 5:39 pm

Cyberwulf wrote:
I got as far as 0:57 before my brain went "HOLY JESUS CHRIST BLACKFACE ACTUALLY MEANS BLACK FACE HERE THEY LOOK LIKE GOLLIWOGS

What's a "golliwog?"

EDIT: Looked it up. YIKES.

Yeah, every iota of shit the Aussies get for this will be deserved. I think I get what they were trying to do, but that line is way, way too easy to cross. Discretion is the better part of valor.

Last edited by gaijinguy on Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Aggie
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Aggie

PostSubject: Re: Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed   Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed EmptyWed Oct 07, 2009 5:44 pm

gaijinguy wrote:
What's a "golliwog?"
Golliwog
Back to top Go down
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

PostSubject: Re: Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed   Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed EmptyWed Oct 07, 2009 5:47 pm

Theaphelia wrote:
Even if it weren't in bad taste, it's still not all that funny.

This. I mean, I didn't even get what was supposed to be funny here.
Back to top Go down
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

PostSubject: Re: Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed   Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed EmptyWed Oct 07, 2009 5:53 pm

Did I set my alarm wrong and wake up in 1935? Shocked
Back to top Go down
Mafiosa

PostSubject: Re: Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed   Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed EmptyWed Oct 07, 2009 5:55 pm

ZoZo wrote:
Did I set my alarm wrong and wake up in 1935? Shocked

You've got to warn everyone about Hitler!
Back to top Go down
Miss Prince
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Miss Prince

PostSubject: Re: Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed   Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed EmptyWed Oct 07, 2009 5:59 pm

I really don't think the apology went far enough, either, and I don't think the host really understood the problem. It's not "oh, we offended our American judge," it's that the people they were depicting are/were black Americans, and to use something that was a symbol of black oppression in America TO DEPICT BLACK AMERICANS is really, really wrong.

Not that I think blackface is cool for people of any nationality but that's a trickier argument so I'll let it stand here.
Back to top Go down
Exodia's Right Leg
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Exodia's Right Leg

PostSubject: Re: Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed   Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed EmptyWed Oct 07, 2009 7:02 pm

Argh. The comments reproduce the same kind of retarded crypto-racism I see in my own countrymen all the time. "Oh, we're not racist, so we can use all the offensive and demeaning stereotypes we want". NO.
Back to top Go down
Maximilia
My spoon is too big.
My spoon is too big.
Maximilia

PostSubject: Re: Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed   Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed EmptyWed Oct 07, 2009 10:22 pm

Ok, I hate Michael Jackson. However, this was just... in really bad taste. At first I was like, "Eh..." but then the "TRIBUTE TO MICHAEL JACKSON !" popped up, at which point I had to shake my head. As Miss Prince pointed out before, using something that was used to oppress black people/performers to HONOR a black person... and the comment that he hadn't been black in a long time? Buh?
Back to top Go down
Bamshalam
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Bamshalam

PostSubject: Re: Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed   Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed EmptyWed Oct 07, 2009 10:36 pm

gaijinguy wrote:
Cyberwulf wrote:
I got as far as 0:57 before my brain went "HOLY JESUS CHRIST BLACKFACE ACTUALLY MEANS BLACK FACE HERE THEY LOOK LIKE GOLLIWOGS

What's a "golliwog?"

EDIT: Looked it up. YIKES.

Yeah, every iota of shit the Aussies get for this will be deserved. I think I get what they were trying to do, but that line is way, way too easy to cross. Discretion is the better part of valor.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I know you already had this question answered for you like, twelve times, but I needed an excuse to post Mr. Popo in this thread.
Back to top Go down
Delcat
Good old-fashioned nightmare fuel
Good old-fashioned nightmare fuel
Delcat

PostSubject: Re: Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed   Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed EmptyWed Oct 07, 2009 11:15 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

That having been...appropriate screencapped, be careful, guys. While this is just plain unbelievable , it's unfair to attribute it to the entirety of Australia. You can see a lot of horrified faces in the crowd shots, and studios always goad their audiences into "appropriate" reactions, cues which would be easily taken by people so shocked they didn't know how to respond. And YouTube commenters are stupid and offensive in all nations. I'm not saying this is anything but galling, mind, or that those who don't see it that way have any excuse, I just don't like seeing country-wide generalizations flying around. I mean, this isn't actually a country-wide...thing...is...is it?

As a side note, did anyone notice the font? Chalk up one more mark against MS Comics Sans.
Back to top Go down
http://delcat.insanejournal.com
Raine
Challenge Winner!
Challenge Winner!
Raine

PostSubject: Re: Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed   Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed EmptyThu Oct 08, 2009 12:28 am

Delcat wrote:
[I'm not saying this is anything but galling, mind, or that those who don't see it that way have any excuse, I just don't like seeing country-wide generalizations flying around. I mean, this isn't actually a country-wide...thing...is...is it?

It's not, I'm sure. But I have to admit I've seen quite a few disturbing comments along the lines of "HAVE WE LOST OUR SENSE OF HUMOUR?!?!?", even in the media today. Australia hasn't lost its sense of humour, it's just that this isn't a laughing matter. There's plenty of other ways to get a laugh than through being an insensitive douchebag.

Unfortunately, Australia has this cultural idea that we're all in a world away from such issues. Racism? Doesn't exist because we're a "multicultural society"! Yet, take a look back in our history and it really isn't a pretty one. Only a few years back we had the Cronulla Race Riots. So it seems most people don't tend to think the issue exists simply because it's an "American thing". Something like this really should be seen as more offensive rather than laughed or shrugged off as not being important.
Back to top Go down
Snoof
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Snoof

PostSubject: Re: Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed   Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed EmptyThu Oct 08, 2009 3:21 am

Mafiosa wrote:
Australia has serious, serious issues with racism. Witness the recent attacks on Indian students in Australian universities, or the Cronulla riots a few years ago.

It says a lot that the One Nation party, with a platform of RACISM RACISM RACISM, did frighteningly well back in the Queensland elections in 1998, and the Howard government was always happy to capitalise on the fear of ZOMG ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS.
Back to top Go down
Mafiosa

PostSubject: Re: Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed   Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed EmptyThu Oct 08, 2009 8:45 am

Snoof wrote:
Mafiosa wrote:
Australia has serious, serious issues with racism. Witness the recent attacks on Indian students in Australian universities, or the Cronulla riots a few years ago.

It says a lot that the One Nation party, with a platform of RACISM RACISM RACISM, did frighteningly well back in the Queensland elections in 1998, and the Howard government was always happy to capitalise on the fear of ZOMG ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS.

Australia: The American South in island form.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed   Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed EmptyThu Oct 08, 2009 10:05 am

It's only racism when America does it.
Back to top Go down
gaijinguy
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
gaijinguy

PostSubject: Re: Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed   Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed EmptyThu Oct 08, 2009 12:26 pm

I do have half a mind to post the Japanese Louis Armstrong impersonator, just to see what kind of reaction it gets.
Back to top Go down
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

PostSubject: Re: Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed   Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed EmptyThu Oct 08, 2009 12:35 pm

gaijinguy wrote:
I do have half a mind to post the Japanese Louis Armstrong impersonator, just to see what kind of reaction it gets.
I always greet that one with stunned laughter and confusion. Put it up!
Back to top Go down
gaijinguy
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
gaijinguy

PostSubject: Re: Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed   Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed EmptyThu Oct 08, 2009 1:04 pm

Ask and ye shall receive.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed   Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed Empty

Back to top Go down

Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next