Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed

Go down 
+14
Delcat
Maximilia
Exodia's Right Leg
Miss Prince
ZoZo
grmblfjx
Aggie
gaijinguy
Mafiosa
rae
Theaphelia
Bamshalam
Cyberwulf
Raine
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Delcat
Good old-fashioned nightmare fuel
Good old-fashioned nightmare fuel
Delcat

Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed   Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 08, 2009 2:54 pm

I had no idea D: I'm sorry, carry on.
Back to top Go down
http://delcat.insanejournal.com
Raine
Challenge Winner!
Challenge Winner!
Raine

PostSubject: Re: Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed   Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 08, 2009 4:24 pm

Mafiosa wrote:
Snoof wrote:
Mafiosa wrote:
Holy christ. The fuck is wrong with you Australia!
Australia has serious, serious issues with racism. Witness the recent attacks on Indian students in Australian universities, or the Cronulla riots a few years ago.

It says a lot that the One Nation party, with a platform of RACISM RACISM RACISM, did frighteningly well back in the Queensland elections in 1998, and the Howard government was always happy to capitalise on the fear of ZOMG ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS.

Australia: The American South in island form.

Yeah, but Pauline Hanson and the One Nation party has been nothing but mocked since then.
Back to top Go down
Chaltab
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Chaltab

PostSubject: Re: Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed   Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 08, 2009 4:39 pm

Maybe it's because I'm not black, but the whole blackface thing doesn't offend me--I understand that it's not acceptable because it may offend others, but it's not something I'd get angry about unless it was clearly meant to demean black people. I don't think this was, it was just poor judgment.

However... there was nothing funny about the skit to begin with. So saying "Americans have no sense of humor" is an incredibly stupid way to defend it.
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed   Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 08, 2009 4:41 pm

Chaltab wrote:
Maybe it's because I'm not black, but the whole blackface thing doesn't offend me--I understand that it's not acceptable because it may offend others, but it's not something I'd get angry about unless it was clearly meant to demean black people.

But stuff like this doesn't take place in a vacuum. Blackface minstrelry has a history, and you can't divorce it from that history.
Back to top Go down
Chaltab
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Chaltab

PostSubject: Re: Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed   Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 08, 2009 4:59 pm

Yeah, though there are a lot of things I wish could be divorced from their sordid histories.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed   Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 9:47 am

Wow.

"I see them broom for me and you, and I think to myserf, what a wundafor wurrrrrd."
Back to top Go down
Verandering
The Gender Offender
The Gender Offender
Verandering

PostSubject: Re: Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed   Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 10:18 am

I'm totally missing something here, because while I recognise it as archaic (or well so I thought) and ignorant, I'm missing historical context. Allow me to wiki...

... Oh Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed - Page 2 724940
That's extremely bad taste. I don't have sound so I couldn't hear it, but it wasn't even amusing to watch mute, really.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed   Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Red Faces over Blackface - Harry Connick Jr not impressed
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2