Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Bad Anime Thread

Go down 
+65
CaptainMcNeil
knightwithoutacause
kleine_kat
Gamma Vector
Observed
Orihime
Salamas
Majin Gojira
karmyn31
XLT-100852.0
Maximilia
Sutremaine
EileenK98
theweirdkind
KJM
Yorokobi
Dr. Quinzel
Blazer
Lapin
Freezer
Kitbug
Psy-4
Chris91
mistressminako
Adagio
Reepicheep-chan
Exodia's Right Leg
caffeine addict
Penguin
Lurv
Somath Cegem
Tenda Lucas
Just Chipper
Saleha
Sarin
The Alien from Uranus
Aggie
Kevin M
Indy
Waffles
Miss Prince
Zeiss Manifold
Sheba
Dick Powers
vade
Tungsten Monk
Kari Izumi
Delcat
Mae Bedlam
Raine
Ceres
AngryRobotsInc
Manny
Snake Bandage
myeerah
Verandering
Keith Fraser
Lembech
saeku
gaijinguy
quamp
InkWeaver
Notomys mordax
Mafiosa
I_Lam_Edhellen
69 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

The Bad Anime Thread - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Bad Anime Thread   The Bad Anime Thread - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 4:58 am

Tungsten Monk wrote:
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: yea or nay? Personally, I thought it was pretty bad. Simon was minorly adorable for a while, but once you start playing "spot the phallic symbol" the whole thing becomes just impossible.

I dropped it after the first episode. It was just monumentally dumb.
Back to top Go down
Delcat
Good old-fashioned nightmare fuel
Good old-fashioned nightmare fuel
Delcat

PostSubject: Re: The Bad Anime Thread   The Bad Anime Thread - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 6:36 am

Somath Cegem wrote:
Tungsten Monk wrote:
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: yea or nay? Personally, I thought it was pretty bad. Simon was minorly adorable for a while, but once you start playing "spot the phallic symbol" the whole thing becomes just impossible.

You seem to have made the grave grave mistake of taking this animé seriously in any way shape or form, just what the hell do you think this show is?
Well, to be fair, the impression you get from the fans is that's a dark, gritty show, possibly set in a prison, and laden with BDSM and rape.

...at least, if you hang around /y/. Seriously, on there, Viral is like the biggest vicious assrape target since...well, you, Piggy. I was honestly flummoxed when I saw clips from the actual show for the first time because it was made out to be such a moody angstfest.
Back to top Go down
http://delcat.insanejournal.com
Somath Cegem
Wonderfully English
Wonderfully English
Somath Cegem

PostSubject: Re: The Bad Anime Thread   The Bad Anime Thread - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 7:51 am

Delcat wrote:
Somath Cegem wrote:
Tungsten Monk wrote:

You seem to have made the grave grave mistake of taking this animé seriously in any way shape or form, just what the hell do you think this show is?
Well, to be fair, the impression you get from the fans is that's a dark, gritty show, possibly set in a prison, and laden with BDSM and rape.

...at least, if you hang around /y/. Seriously, on there, Viral is like the biggest vicious assrape target since...well, you, Piggy. I was honestly flummoxed when I saw clips from the actual show for the first time because it was made out to be such a moody angstfest.
There was an episode half set in a prison, viral and simon had a fist fight, it was quite epic but one of the lower key moments, trust the fans to latch on to it.
No, Gurren Lagann is nothing more than Japan does a 'Saturday Morning Cartoon Show' with more fanservicness and a death or 7 because it's japan! (FUCK YOU EPISODES 9 AND 25!)
It's supposed to be The antithesis to Evangelion is you will, taking all the popular tropes of teh time and turning either on there head or taking them further than anybody has ever seen before, like having the poor mopey shouta kid becomes useful once again once he mans up and decides it's not worth moping.

But aye, I love the show for it's over the top characters, battles and plain silliness. To quote Nabeshin "Explosions Fix Everything!"
Back to top Go down
Saleha
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Saleha

PostSubject: Re: The Bad Anime Thread   The Bad Anime Thread - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 7:59 am

Somath Cegem wrote:
You seem to have made the grave grave mistake of taking this animé seriously in any way shape or form, just what the hell do you think this show is? If all you can do is note the protagonist is cute and complain about all the drills go watch Eva instead, seriously, I've never seen somebody miss the point of a show so hard , you think I'm kidding?

And this is what I was expecting after someone "owned up" to hating this thing.
(Even if this was primarily directed at Tungsten, I keep hearing from people "YOU JUST DUN GEDDIT!!!111" when saying I don't like Gurren Lagann.)
Yes, I fully got that this was supposed to be a parody. I just thought the execution was massively lame and not worth watching. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks and all that. Honestly, if you didn't watch tons of what it's parodying... it's nowhere near funny. And even if you have... IMO, it's still not funny. Permanently over the top doesn't always translate to HARRHARR, and that's the only kind of humor going on in this, from what I can tell.

Just Chipper wrote:
Excitedplz Go back and watch up to episode 13 now. I am serious.

... I am not in the habit of watching half of a show to get to the "good stuff" if I can't be bothered to care after a quarter run of it.
Back to top Go down
http://diva-urd.livejournal.com/
Just Chipper
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Just Chipper

PostSubject: Re: The Bad Anime Thread   The Bad Anime Thread - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 10:14 am

Delcat wrote:

Taking a series at face value when what you're seeing is from the POV of yaoi drawing fan-girls isn't really the best idea. Razz

Quote :
Yes, I fully got that this was supposed to be a parody.
I'd call it a homage to Giant Robot Anime, more than anything; I don't see where the 'parody' element comes in, excluding the studio dropping a few characters from other shows they produced and parodying them in certain episodes.

Saleha wrote:
I just thought the execution was massively lame and not worth watching. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks and all that. Honestly, if you didn't watch tons of what it's parodying... it's nowhere near funny. And even if you have... IMO, it's still not funny. Permanently over the top doesn't always translate to HARRHARR, and that's the only kind of humor going on in this, from what I can tell.
Action =/= Comedy. Also; "Even if you have [watched tons of what it's parodying]... IMO, it's still not funny." I fail to understand how you can judge any parodying material's humour if you aren't aware of the context it is parodying. You don't know, yet still assume in your 'opinion' that it's not funny, regardless of what it parodies? Are you trolling, or just an idiot?

I'm aware that Giant Robots aren't everybody's cup of tea [I didn't care for them before watching the show and only care for them slightly more than I used to now], but the show aired, like Somath said, on the Saturday morning block for kids. It was not supposed to be anything more than a fun show, but the show is nicely animated, is directed by one of my favourite Animators and has a number of likeable characters which is why I enjoy it so much.

Quote :
I am not in the habit of watching half of a show to get to the "good stuff" if I can't be bothered to care after a quarter run of it.
That's a fair assessment, and I apologise if my previous post comes across as that of a crazed fanboy. I believe, though, that it goes through a major shift in atmosphere in episode eight, and judging the show from everything before that as what represents it is just unfair and lazy.

Seriously, you come across as a giant 'NO FUN ALLOWED' sign in a ball park, which kind of mystifies me considering you have a Mighty Boosh avatar of all things.
Back to top Go down
Saleha
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Saleha

PostSubject: Re: The Bad Anime Thread   The Bad Anime Thread - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 10:43 am

Just Chipper wrote:

Action =/= Comedy. Also; "Even if you have [watched tons of what it's parodying]... IMO, it's still not funny." I fail to understand how you can judge any parodying material's humour if you aren't aware of the context it is parodying. You don't know, yet still assume in your 'opinion' that it's not funny, regardless of what it parodies? Are you trolling, or just an idiot?

Reading comprehension plz. I have, in fact, watched quite a few Giant Mech shows and see the homage/parody elements for what they are. I just don't think they're as CLEVER and FUNNY as a lot of the show's fans make them out to be. However, some shows manage to be funny and watchable even if they are primarily meant to parody things the viewer does not know about, as is the case with some episodes of Excel Saga, IMO.

Quote :
Seriously, you come across as a giant 'NO FUN ALLOWED' sign in a ball park, which kind of mystifies me considering you have a Mighty Boosh avatar of all things.

... May I read that as righteous fanboy/girl RAEG that I dare to have a different opinion? MY WORK, IT IS DONE! The Bad Anime Thread - Page 4 961878
Back to top Go down
Tungsten Monk
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Tungsten Monk

PostSubject: Re: The Bad Anime Thread   The Bad Anime Thread - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 10:45 am

*shrug* Maybe I, indeed, just don't get it. To each their own. I've watched my fair share of anime, including things involving young protagonists and giant robots, but I honestly thought it was . . . dull. Not exceptional enough in any one way to catch my interest. Spot-the-phallic-symbol was pretty much the only way I could make it interesting, and indeed that provided some much-needed amusement (get English majors in a room with a movie or a book, and it'll happen sooner or later; you should've overheard our discussion about Dracula) but otherwise, it came off as pretty generic.
Back to top Go down
Mafiosa
You crack me up, little buddy!

PostSubject: Re: The Bad Anime Thread   The Bad Anime Thread - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 10:45 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Somath Cegem
Wonderfully English
Wonderfully English
Somath Cegem

PostSubject: Re: The Bad Anime Thread   The Bad Anime Thread - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 11:01 am

Saleha wrote:
And this is what I was expecting after someone "owned up" to hating this thing.

Tbh, I was more ranting because you seemed to have gone into the show thinking "aw cute kid" and then started complaining when the drills started turning up which frustrated me simply because it's a show about robots and drills, not adorable kid being adorable, of course you were gonna hate it.

The reason I got at you for not getting it is that obviously you didn't and decided to deride it in spite of this, complaining about a giant robot show for having giant robots in it is like complaining about having Gay sex in your yoai, just plain dumb, topic over, moving on.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: The Bad Anime Thread   The Bad Anime Thread - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 11:08 am

Somath, we get it. Gurren Lagan is your religion and you can't stand the thought that people might not like it for the things about it that give you a boner. Drop the sanctimony.
Back to top Go down
Just Chipper
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Just Chipper

PostSubject: Re: The Bad Anime Thread   The Bad Anime Thread - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 11:09 am

Saleha wrote:
Reading comprehension plz. I have, in fact, watched quite a few Giant Mech shows...
Now, see, you need to look up 'reading comprehension' and actually learn what the phrase means. You would have actually needed to have made that point earlier on in the thread for you to accuse me of lacking it. You're instead confusing reading comprehension with a benefit of the doubt. At no point in your post did you say that you actually watched any other shows to base your point off. Oh well, at least you answered my question of whether you're shit-posting or just stupid, though [hint: it's the latter].

Quote :
Quote :

... May I read that as righteous fanboy/girl RAEG that I dare to have a different opinion?
Ahaha, because my post was just laced with ANGER and RAEG as opposed to, y'know, bemusement. Obviously, the only negative tone of posting is that of hatred. Oh man my butt is so hurt i need to lie down

Quote :
MY WORK, IT IS DONE! The Bad Anime Thread - Page 4 961878
>implying you can troll
>hilariousreactionimage.jpg

EDIT: vvv YES.

Last edited by Just Chipper on Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Zeiss Manifold
Ants got into everyone
Ants got into everyone
Zeiss Manifold

PostSubject: Re: The Bad Anime Thread   The Bad Anime Thread - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 11:11 am

Can we all just agree that Double K is awesome and leave it at that?

Last edited by Zeiss Manifold on Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
gaijinguy
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
gaijinguy

PostSubject: Re: The Bad Anime Thread   The Bad Anime Thread - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 11:12 am

This is going to turn into one of those threads, isn't it.

I was entertained by TTGL, but unfortunately, TVtropes spoiled a lot of it for me. I'll probably finish watching it in a few weeks.
Back to top Go down
Saleha
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Saleha

PostSubject: Re: The Bad Anime Thread   The Bad Anime Thread - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 11:15 am

Somath: Tungsten and I are two different persons. Thank you very much.

Chipper:

Quote :
And even if you have... IMO, it's still not funny.

This? Is called an implication. I implied that I had in fact watched the homaged/parodied material and still did not find the show to be funny or clever.

And clearly calling people who have a different opinion "stupid" and humorless, calling their posts "shit" and talking down to them shows polite bemusement and not the FANBOY RAEG you try to so vehemently deny. Try again.
Back to top Go down
Just Chipper
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Just Chipper

PostSubject: Re: The Bad Anime Thread   The Bad Anime Thread - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 11:21 am

Saleha wrote:
Chipper:

Quote :
And even if you have... IMO, it's still not funny.

This? Is called an implication. I implied that I had in fact watched the homaged/parodied material and still did not find the show to be funny or clever.
... no, not really. Your implication is loose and unclear. Again, you're mixing reading comprehension with a benefit of the doubt.

P.S. at no point have I suggested that this show is 'clever'. :B

Saleha wrote:
And clearly calling people who have a different opinion "stupid" and humorless, calling their posts "shit" and talking down to them shows polite bemusement and not the FANBOY RAEG you try to so vehemently deny. Try again.

A rough translation:

Saleha wrote:
I don't know what aloof means lol y so butthurt [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Mafiosa

PostSubject: Re: The Bad Anime Thread   The Bad Anime Thread - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 12:04 pm

Sure is >implying in here.
Back to top Go down
Just Chipper
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Just Chipper

PostSubject: Re: The Bad Anime Thread   The Bad Anime Thread - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 12:31 pm

In looking back on earlier posts, I realise I'm being a dense ass. Sorry. Razz You can all have your thread back now.

Also, Raine: I've decided to download Quasar, though I'm gonna leave watching it until Friday night/the weekend. The Bad Anime Thread - Page 4 588739

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Raine
Challenge Winner!
Challenge Winner!
Raine

PostSubject: Re: The Bad Anime Thread   The Bad Anime Thread - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 4:13 pm

Zeiss Manifold wrote:
Can we all just agree that Double K is awesome and leave it at that?

I was about to link to that too. Awesome buddy cop AU is awesome.

Just Chipper wrote:

Also, Raine: I've decided to download Quasar, though I'm gonna leave watching it until Friday night/the weekend. The Bad Anime Thread - Page 4 588739

Spoiler:

I swear, if you enjoy it you're only going to make me curious and I will be forced to kill you. Upset
Back to top Go down
caffeine addict

PostSubject: Re: The Bad Anime Thread   The Bad Anime Thread - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 1:35 am

Isn't it spelled Qwasar or Qwazar or something? I remember thinking it was a stupid title before I even knew of it as "that breastfeeding anime."
Back to top Go down
Raine
Challenge Winner!
Challenge Winner!
Raine

PostSubject: Re: The Bad Anime Thread   The Bad Anime Thread - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 1:50 am

caffeine addict wrote:
Isn't it spelled Qwasar or Qwazar or something? I remember thinking it was a stupid title before I even knew of it as "that breastfeeding anime."

It's Qwaser. Chipper and I had a hard time finding it too.
Back to top Go down
Manny
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Manny

PostSubject: Re: The Bad Anime Thread   The Bad Anime Thread - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 12:49 pm

As TV Tropes said, your mileage may vary when it comes to Gurren Lagann; you hate or love it.

As for my girlfriend and I, we love Cegem forever for introducing us to it with the animated GIFs of Kamina and Simon he used to have in his signature.

Never have we laughed so hard, cried so bitterly, or screamed so triumphantly while watching anything.

ANYTHING.

It was the most fun the two of us have ever had watching anime. It was manliness incarnate. It was pure adrenaline. It was a story of hope, and we will never forget it.

Spoiler:

Yes, the anime was completely unrealistic, and hilariously dumb. But that's why we love it. As Kamina said, it goes beyond the impossible. That is the human dream.

My drill is my soul.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fanfiction.net/~lazerth
Just Chipper
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Just Chipper

PostSubject: Re: The Bad Anime Thread   The Bad Anime Thread - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 2:33 pm

As promised:

Seikon no Qwasar Episode 1 Review

I need a very stiff drink.
Back to top Go down
Saleha
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Saleha

PostSubject: Re: The Bad Anime Thread   The Bad Anime Thread - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 4:17 pm

Just Chipper wrote:
As promised:

I just read your review, and am about ready to donate my paycheck to the good cause of getting you shitfaced. That sounds at least as bad as Eiken. Magical breastmilk and public underage booby molestation plus phallic symbols everywhere? WTF, Japan?

Oh. Yeah.
Back to top Go down
Raine
Challenge Winner!
Challenge Winner!
Raine

PostSubject: Re: The Bad Anime Thread   The Bad Anime Thread - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 6:03 pm

Just Chipper wrote:
As promised:

And that was the censored version? D: I'm sorry I put you through this. Ugh, just the thought of Yui's voice being in this breaks my mind.

EDIT: I happened upon some uncensored version screencaps looking through a review site. Ugh... it's even worse than I could have possibly imagined. The Bad Anime Thread - Page 4 556166

Last edited by Raine on Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Exodia's Right Leg
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Exodia's Right Leg

PostSubject: Re: The Bad Anime Thread   The Bad Anime Thread - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 8:47 pm

The DMC anime.

Why is Dante acting like a poor man's Alucard? Why is he using his guns, and not his sword, as his primary weapon? Who is that girl? Why is the show SO FUCKING DULL?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Bad Anime Thread   The Bad Anime Thread - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Bad Anime Thread
Page 4 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next