Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Tetris Effect: "Oh, the sun's up..."

Go down 
+57
Sutremaine
Jossarian
Maximilia
Siroi
Jay/Cris
Somath Cegem
TokioDizneeland84
Alex89
Fitchsticks
Kevin M
Nevvy
GamemasterAnthony
Penguin
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Poke_Freak
darkling
Lapin
Bamshalam
TheHermit
Inciter
Mafiosa
theweirdkind
Aggie
Alana
Dr. Professor Science
Nurvingiel
Tillian
Braigwen
bleachedblackcat
Root Admin
Filth
Lexin
DarthDarthington
KelinciHutan
Mae Bedlam
Raine
InkWeaver
Freezer
Chocho
Sparrow
Snake Bandage
Kremlin
Trivia
Lembech
myeerah
Ceres
Kitbug
Manny
unskilled78
Miss Prince
ZoZo
Electron Blue
grmblfjx
Animir
Miraba
AngryRobotsInc
Delcat
61 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Delcat
Good old-fashioned nightmare fuel
Delcat

The Tetris Effect: "Oh, the sun's up..." Empty
PostSubject: The Tetris Effect: "Oh, the sun's up..."   The Tetris Effect: "Oh, the sun's up..." EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 11:07 am

"I started playing it around noon, and emerged from my room sometime later to find that the authorities had declared me legally dead."
Zero Punctuation on Peggle

So named after (and quote-snatched from) the equivalent page on TV Tropes (WARNING: TV Tropes itself may well be the ultimate example of this trope), the Tetris Effect is caused when a game is simply too addictive to stop playing. A popular thread on the Fucking Insane Board brought back to life here, I could say it's because people were enjoying themselves and having fun, but there's really one big reason I'm posting...

KITBUG. YES, YOU, WITH THE PLANTS VS. ZOMBIES LINK. YOU OWE ME MY LIFE BACK. I AM A POPCAP SLAVE NOW.

So yeah I need to water my Zen Garden now
Back to top Go down
http://delcat.insanejournal.com
AngryRobotsInc
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
AngryRobotsInc

PostSubject: Re: The Tetris Effect: "Oh, the sun's up..."   The Tetris Effect: "Oh, the sun's up..." EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 11:11 am

I can generally spend hours on any RPG that has at least a slightly indepth customization system. Also, Harvest Moon, The Sims (any of the 3), and any of the Mega Man games.
Back to top Go down
Miraba
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Miraba

PostSubject: Re: The Tetris Effect: "Oh, the sun's up..."   The Tetris Effect: "Oh, the sun's up..." EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 11:12 am

I thought the Tetris Effect was when you'd been playing so long you started to rearrange things you saw to make horizontal lines. Or that when you closed your eyes you'd still see the pieces dropping.

I've experienced the DDR Effect (falling arrows when I close my eyes) and the Assassin's Creed Effect (looking for handholds on every building).
Back to top Go down
Animir
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Animir

PostSubject: Re: The Tetris Effect: "Oh, the sun's up..."   The Tetris Effect: "Oh, the sun's up..." EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 11:16 am

Dwarf Fortress does this to me a lot:

Okay, I'll just get the workshops and storerooms set up, then I'll stop.

Oh, hey, migrants. Gotta get them settled, then I can stop.

I can get dinner once I get the moat finished.

Can't stop now, gotta see what this guy with the strange mood is going to produce.

Quit? In the middle of a goblin ambush? Surely you jest!

Then when I finally do go to bed, I see all my little dwarfs running around hauling rocks when I close my eyes. Best game ever.
Back to top Go down
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

PostSubject: Re: The Tetris Effect: "Oh, the sun's up..."   The Tetris Effect: "Oh, the sun's up..." EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 11:26 am

Miraba wrote:
I thought the Tetris Effect was when you'd been playing so long you started to rearrange things you saw to make horizontal lines. Or that when you closed your eyes you'd still see the pieces dropping.

I've experienced the DDR Effect (falling arrows when I close my eyes) and the Assassin's Creed Effect (looking for handholds on every building).

I used to have that with Minesweeper soooooo bad. Your brain tries to come up with the numbers, too, and that's usually a fuck-up.
Back to top Go down
Electron Blue
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Electron Blue

PostSubject: Re: The Tetris Effect: "Oh, the sun's up..."   The Tetris Effect: "Oh, the sun's up..." EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 11:35 am

Alien Shooter 2. I started playing around 10 PM on the Gun Stand mode. I emerged around 1 AM. My poor sleepless restless eyes.
Back to top Go down
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

PostSubject: Re: The Tetris Effect: "Oh, the sun's up..."   The Tetris Effect: "Oh, the sun's up..." EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 11:43 am

That quote about Peggle applies to me. There was a period when I quit smoking simply because I was too busy playing Peggle.
Back to top Go down
Miss Prince
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Miss Prince

PostSubject: Re: The Tetris Effect: "Oh, the sun's up..."   The Tetris Effect: "Oh, the sun's up..." EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 12:09 pm

grmblfjx wrote:
Miraba wrote:

I used to have that with Minesweeper soooooo bad. Your brain tries to come up with the numbers, too, and that's usually a fuck-up.

All of this plus Guitar Hero tracks. And Rock Band, too.

As for games-I-can't-stop-playing, I just finished my second playthrough of Persona 4, and I have clocked 196 hours on that file. Life, I haz none.
Back to top Go down
unskilled78
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: The Tetris Effect: "Oh, the sun's up..."   The Tetris Effect: "Oh, the sun's up..." EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 12:52 pm

Once I determined how the weapon shop/weapon storehouse concept worked on Far Cry2, and bought myself a sniper rifle, I was hooked. It only got worse after I upgraded from the 1903 to the Dragunov, and it reached its peak after I got the AS50 (I have a guide, so I knew to take out convoys ASAP). I like the Desert Eagle in that game, but my primary happy-gun is the .50 Cal sniper rifle.
Back to top Go down
Manny
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Manny

PostSubject: Re: The Tetris Effect: "Oh, the sun's up..."   The Tetris Effect: "Oh, the sun's up..." EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 1:14 pm

KITBUG IS TO BLAME FOR ME MISSING THE LAST MONTH OF MY LIFE. IT IS CLEARLY ALL HER FAULT.

Yeah so I'm gonna go through Last Stand for the quadrillionth time now see you guys tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fanfiction.net/~lazerth
Kitbug
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Kitbug

PostSubject: Re: The Tetris Effect: "Oh, the sun's up..."   The Tetris Effect: "Oh, the sun's up..." EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 1:16 pm

I am innocent of all wrong doing, YOU GUYS YOU CAN'T PIN THIS ON ME.

I've been having too much ADD for games so nothing is grabbing me completely. XD
Back to top Go down
http://kitbug.livejournal.com
Delcat
Delcat

PostSubject: Re: The Tetris Effect: "Oh, the sun's up..."   The Tetris Effect: "Oh, the sun's up..." EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 1:23 pm

grmblfjx wrote:
Miraba wrote:

It's a symptom of the syndrome, not the syndrome itself. Read the page if you dare.

Likewise, though, I was so desperate to be playing Plants vs. Zombies during school that I started doodling plants in my notebook. Before I knew it, I had drawn an entire game board and thirty-five minutes of the most bullshit-entrenched class I've ever been in had magically gone by. It was AWESOME but kind of sad.

...especially since I lost.

...I felt like winning a game I was drawing myself would be godmoding, okay? Jeez.
Back to top Go down
http://delcat.insanejournal.com
Ceres
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Ceres

PostSubject: Re: The Tetris Effect: "Oh, the sun's up..."   The Tetris Effect: "Oh, the sun's up..." EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 1:37 pm

That's happened to me with Sims 2. I've been known to leave it on for hours, mostly because loading it back is a pain in the ass.

Meanwhile, for Kingdom Hearts 2, I got it on launch day and almost beat it in two days. When I realized I was halfway done, I started to pace myself to make the crack last.
Back to top Go down
myeerah
Contributor
Contributor
myeerah

PostSubject: Re: The Tetris Effect: "Oh, the sun's up..."   The Tetris Effect: "Oh, the sun's up..." EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 1:57 pm

The original Sims was like that for me. I'd spend all day avoiding housework by having my digital self...do housework.

I have no current addictions, but that's because my PS2 is still packed from the move. Otherwise, I'd be all over Digital Devil Saga 2.
Back to top Go down
Lembech
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Lembech

PostSubject: Re: The Tetris Effect: "Oh, the sun's up..."   The Tetris Effect: "Oh, the sun's up..." EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 3:10 pm

Spore and the Paper Mario 1 and 2 series for me. I managed to go an entire day without eating because I lost track of time.

Ever since I got those debug Badges for Paper Mario TTYD, shit's gone deliciously crazy. 12 points of damage to every enemy? Superb action commands without lifting a finger?

Just...don't use anything like Power Bounce. :downs:
Back to top Go down
Trivia

Trivia

PostSubject: Re: The Tetris Effect: "Oh, the sun's up..."   The Tetris Effect: "Oh, the sun's up..." EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 3:33 pm

There might have been a scattered days that I only remembered to eat because I saw my sims eating.

Also, my fiance and I had to stop playing WoW after we pretty much stopped doing anything else but.

We were like, "What do we even DO now?" It was sad times.

(so we got a 360 >.> )
Back to top Go down
Kremlin

Kremlin

PostSubject: Re: The Tetris Effect: "Oh, the sun's up..."   The Tetris Effect: "Oh, the sun's up..." EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 3:41 pm

AudioSurf is my cocaine. Why, God, why did you allow me to use my own music to play a game? And for 9.99 USD, too.
Back to top Go down
Snake Bandage
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Snake Bandage

PostSubject: Re: The Tetris Effect: "Oh, the sun's up..."   The Tetris Effect: "Oh, the sun's up..." EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 4:25 pm

Pokemon games for the DS have that effect on me. I recently bought Pokemon Platinum and beat it after a little over two weeks. It would've been less if I didn't have something slightly resembling a life. Goddamn Platinum, I still have to play it at least two hours a day or I crack.

And Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia... I completed the main game, the goddamned browser and played every mission I could in FIVE DAYS. I just couldn't put the stupid thing down, I just wanted to draw circles with the styler over and over and over again...
Back to top Go down
Sparrow
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Sparrow

PostSubject: Re: The Tetris Effect: "Oh, the sun's up..."   The Tetris Effect: "Oh, the sun's up..." EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 4:30 pm

Sims 1 or 2 (when I get 3, it'll be just as bad. But I am broke Sparrow at the moment)

Cave Story.
Back to top Go down
http://sparrow779.livejournal.com/
Miss Prince
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Miss Prince

PostSubject: Re: The Tetris Effect: "Oh, the sun's up..."   The Tetris Effect: "Oh, the sun's up..." EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 4:36 pm

Delcat wrote:
grmblfjx wrote:
Miraba wrote:

It's a symptom of the syndrome, not the syndrome itself. Read the page if you dare.

Actually, Miraba's right; the "Tetris Effect" refers to the weird shape-seeing, attempting-to-apply-game-mechanics-to-everyday-life symptom. It has a Wikipedia article that appears to predate the TVTropes article (actually, it might predate TVTropes altogether).
Back to top Go down
Chocho
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Chocho

PostSubject: Re: The Tetris Effect: "Oh, the sun's up..."   The Tetris Effect: "Oh, the sun's up..." EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 4:50 pm

Sparrow wrote:
Sims 1 or 2 (when I get 3, it'll be just as bad. But I am broke Sparrow at the moment)

I wouldn't be too sure about that.

Sims 1 and 2 had me hooked so thoroughly that after playing a few hours, I'd start thinking about "satisfying my needs" and actually made action lists in my head, sims-style. I got Sims 3 on release day and haven't played much. As matter of fact, I am much more enamoured with my brand-new Wii Fit. Too many bugs for now, not as computer-friendly as advertised and kinda blah. I might change my mind once the worst bugs have been fixed and the mods start pouring in.

Fucking FreeCiv. The worst thing is, it's also installed on our university computers.

Then there's this rather old building game "Zeus". I don't know how often I have completed all missions in God Mode, but it doesn't get old. I wish it'd run on Bootcamp!XP.
Back to top Go down
Ceres
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Ceres

PostSubject: Re: The Tetris Effect: "Oh, the sun's up..."   The Tetris Effect: "Oh, the sun's up..." EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 5:43 pm

Word on Sims 3. I played, got bored and started wishing I'd been playing Sims 2 instead.
Back to top Go down
Sparrow
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Sparrow

PostSubject: Re: The Tetris Effect: "Oh, the sun's up..."   The Tetris Effect: "Oh, the sun's up..." EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 5:51 pm

Ouch. Okay, no Sims 3 for Sparrow until at least the first expansion pack. The bugs should be fixed by then, hopefully (and I'll have money). (Though that'll just make my Sims 2 addiction worse in the meantime...)
Back to top Go down
http://sparrow779.livejournal.com/
Ceres
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Ceres

PostSubject: Re: The Tetris Effect: "Oh, the sun's up..."   The Tetris Effect: "Oh, the sun's up..." EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 6:19 pm

Pirate Cat doesn't pay for downloads. Arr!

(Seriously, Pirate Cat would be royally pissed if money had exchanged hands for Sims 3. It's just. that. lame.)
Back to top Go down
Lembech
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Lembech

PostSubject: Re: The Tetris Effect: "Oh, the sun's up..."   The Tetris Effect: "Oh, the sun's up..." EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 11:11 pm

Miss Prince wrote:
Actually, Miraba's right; the "Tetris Effect" refers to the weird shape-seeing, attempting-to-apply-game-mechanics-to-everyday-life symptom. It has a Wikipedia article that appears to predate the TVTropes article (actually, it might predate TVTropes altogether).
I remember thinking like that when I was a Kindergarten (hell they had tetris-shaped blocks to make matters worse). Back then, the Brick Boy reigned supreme and it couldn't fit in your pocket even if you tried.

Oh, and the Sims 3 may be a bit fun, but it's damned tedious and glitchy. It's like Sims 2 Pets expansion pack glitchy, as it already gave me this lovely little glitch which claimed two uninteractable victims on my lawn and they WILL NOT GO AWAY. Makes me kinda glad I didn't buy it... :whisper:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Tetris Effect: "Oh, the sun's up..."   The Tetris Effect: "Oh, the sun's up..." Empty

Back to top Go down

The Tetris Effect: "Oh, the sun's up..."
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next