Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

"Arbeit Macht Frei" sign stolen from Auschwitz lager.

Go down 
+10
Delcat
Spotts1701
Thanos6
Sloth
Mafiosa
unskilled78
darkangelofglory
Jay/Cris
Seule
The Unoriginal
14 posters
AuthorMessage
The Unoriginal
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
The Unoriginal

"Arbeit Macht Frei" sign stolen from Auschwitz lager. Empty
PostSubject: "Arbeit Macht Frei" sign stolen from Auschwitz lager.   "Arbeit Macht Frei" sign stolen from Auschwitz lager. EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 11:56 am

Exactly what it says on the tin.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Seule
My Mescaline
My Mescaline
Seule

PostSubject: Re: "Arbeit Macht Frei" sign stolen from Auschwitz lager.   "Arbeit Macht Frei" sign stolen from Auschwitz lager. EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 12:12 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Jay/Cris
The Word Police
The Word Police
Jay/Cris

PostSubject: Re: "Arbeit Macht Frei" sign stolen from Auschwitz lager.   "Arbeit Macht Frei" sign stolen from Auschwitz lager. EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 4:55 pm

But what would you do with it?

(I mean, sure, you could hang it above your doorway, but c'mon. "Abandon All Hope, Ye Who Enter Here" is classier.)
Back to top Go down
http://www.crisiks.livejournal.com
darkangelofglory

darkangelofglory

PostSubject: Re: "Arbeit Macht Frei" sign stolen from Auschwitz lager.   "Arbeit Macht Frei" sign stolen from Auschwitz lager. EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 5:03 pm

Jay/Cris wrote:
But what would you do with it?

(I mean, sure, you could hang it above your doorway, but c'mon. "Abandon All Hope, Ye Who Enter Here" is classier.)

This, and if you weren't going to do anything with it, where would you keep it? This isn't exactly something you can stick in a cabinat.
Back to top Go down
unskilled78
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: "Arbeit Macht Frei" sign stolen from Auschwitz lager.   "Arbeit Macht Frei" sign stolen from Auschwitz lager. EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 5:17 pm

I imagine it would be either sold to some collector of Nazi items, or melted down as part of some grand scheme to destroy evidence of the Holocaust.
Back to top Go down
Mafiosa
You crack me up, little buddy!
You crack me up, little buddy!

PostSubject: Re: "Arbeit Macht Frei" sign stolen from Auschwitz lager.   "Arbeit Macht Frei" sign stolen from Auschwitz lager. EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 6:51 pm

Put it on your coffee table for that touch of SS!

Makes a great conversation piece! So long as the conversation is "Holy shit are you a Nazi?"
Back to top Go down
Sloth
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Sloth

PostSubject: Re: "Arbeit Macht Frei" sign stolen from Auschwitz lager.   "Arbeit Macht Frei" sign stolen from Auschwitz lager. EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 7:36 pm

I wonder if some supervisor in the area thought it'd be funny to hang it over his office door...
Back to top Go down
Thanos6
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Thanos6

PostSubject: Re: "Arbeit Macht Frei" sign stolen from Auschwitz lager.   "Arbeit Macht Frei" sign stolen from Auschwitz lager. EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 7:38 pm

...lager?
Back to top Go down
Spotts1701
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Spotts1701

PostSubject: Re: "Arbeit Macht Frei" sign stolen from Auschwitz lager.   "Arbeit Macht Frei" sign stolen from Auschwitz lager. EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 7:53 pm

Thanos6 wrote:
...lager?

German word for "camp", I think.

On-topic, I can't believe this but I'm inclined to agree with Unskilled. Because you can't sell it, can't really display it, and melting it down would cost more than the raw metal is worth...what other possible conclusion can we draw as to why this was done?
Back to top Go down
Delcat
Good old-fashioned nightmare fuel
Good old-fashioned nightmare fuel
Delcat

PostSubject: Re: "Arbeit Macht Frei" sign stolen from Auschwitz lager.   "Arbeit Macht Frei" sign stolen from Auschwitz lager. EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 7:55 pm

Spotts1701 wrote:
On-topic, I can't believe this but I'm inclined to agree with Unskilled. Because you can't sell it, can't really display it, and melting it down would cost more than the raw metal is worth...what other possible conclusion can we draw as to why this was done?
Easy. Michigan has both a town called Hell and a town called Paradise. Guess which one regularly has its road sign stolen and relocated to the front yard of any given high school or college?
Back to top Go down
http://delcat.insanejournal.com
KGarrett
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
KGarrett

PostSubject: Re: "Arbeit Macht Frei" sign stolen from Auschwitz lager.   "Arbeit Macht Frei" sign stolen from Auschwitz lager. EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 9:02 pm

That or the person stole it just so they could say they stole it.
Back to top Go down
Sheba
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sheba

PostSubject: Re: "Arbeit Macht Frei" sign stolen from Auschwitz lager.   "Arbeit Macht Frei" sign stolen from Auschwitz lager. EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 9:41 pm

Thanos6 wrote:
...lager?
That's one helluva big beer...
Back to top Go down
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

PostSubject: Re: "Arbeit Macht Frei" sign stolen from Auschwitz lager.   "Arbeit Macht Frei" sign stolen from Auschwitz lager. EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 1:59 am

Spotts1701 wrote:

Agreed. So far, the only two things I can imagine are

a) some sort of, hm, neo-nazis trying to do away with "all the memorials to Jews" or something, and

b) some crazy, rich collector hiring dodgy people to get the ultimate collector's item. Or dodgy people thinking they can find some crazy collector.
Back to top Go down
darkangelofglory

darkangelofglory

PostSubject: Re: "Arbeit Macht Frei" sign stolen from Auschwitz lager.   "Arbeit Macht Frei" sign stolen from Auschwitz lager. EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 2:34 am

grmblfjx wrote:
Spotts1701 wrote:

Agreed. So far, the only two things I can imagine are

a) some sort of, hm, neo-nazis trying to do away with "all the memorials to Jews" or something, and

b) some crazy, rich collector hiring dodgy people to get the ultimate collector's item. Or dodgy people thinking they can find some crazy collector.

You forgot c) drunk teenagers. I can just imagine the next morning: "Ahh, damnit, hangovers suck so -- hey, Dominik, what the hell is that?"
Back to top Go down
Thanos6
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Thanos6

PostSubject: Re: "Arbeit Macht Frei" sign stolen from Auschwitz lager.   "Arbeit Macht Frei" sign stolen from Auschwitz lager. EmptySun Dec 20, 2009 7:32 pm

Good news.

Quote :
WARSAW, Poland – Polish police found the infamous "Arbeit Macht Frei"
sign that was stolen from the gate of the former Nazi death camp of Auschwitz
after an intensive three-day hunt and arrested five suspects, police
said early Monday. The sign was found cut into three pieces.
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: "Arbeit Macht Frei" sign stolen from Auschwitz lager.   "Arbeit Macht Frei" sign stolen from Auschwitz lager. EmptyMon Dec 21, 2009 11:37 am

I'm glad they found it. I hope they can repair it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Arbeit Macht Frei" sign stolen from Auschwitz lager.   "Arbeit Macht Frei" sign stolen from Auschwitz lager. Empty

Back to top Go down

"Arbeit Macht Frei" sign stolen from Auschwitz lager.
Page 1 of 1