Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Twilight: The Death of Feminism

Go down 
+116
Merrrrrr
Drabbler
mluckw
WD40
alexis
PendragonGirl
Lurv
Adagio
kelley28
Aggie
Kirby
theromangeneral
SirDixonDongs
Raine
Xervexagon
DarthDarthington
KeyserSoze
Jesus.
Reidmar
TheHedonist
Kitbug
Yorokobi
Glen
Shingzyl
Mr.Doobie
Spooky
Sarin
Sheba
Cyberwulf
Sutremaine
Obskeree
Mikey Go WOOGA
Jay/Cris
frostflowers
Bamshalam
Knight
Nevvy
Mafiosa
Anon_Lurker
Little Egypt
Exodia's Right Leg
Braigwen
kleine_kat
Reepicheep-chan
Spotts1701
Snoof
Notomys mordax
Mr. Comic Book
Yattara
Dr. Professor Science
Q
Kevin M
Jocelyn
EileenK98
Princess Muse
Manny
Tungsten Monk
grmblfjx
moonyprof
Cactus Wren
Waffles
The Unoriginal
InkWeaver
I_Lam_Edhellen
Chaltab
gaijinguy
KGarrett
Avari
Dick Powers
Penguin
Seule
Mae Bedlam
DaiLinn
Miss Prince
Psy-4
Saleha
Tillian
szaleniec
unskilled78
bad_idea_bear
ZoZo
NastyHobbitses
Ceres
SokMunkie
Blooferlady
Fairlight
Pixi
fishstickhater
Snake Bandage
Deutschtard
Chris91
VB
Somath Cegem
KelinciHutan
anangrychocobo
Keith Fraser
Narwhal
Anathema
Verandering
Lexin
Salamas
Inciter
Sparrow
Root Admin
theweirdkind
Solitia
rae
DeeDee
Lapin
Nurvingiel
Rabid Badger
Maximilia
myeerah
Trioculus
Miss Misery
Lysander
120 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 20 ... 24  Next
AuthorMessage
Narwhal
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Narwhal

Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 16 EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 9:52 am

I'd also like to point out that the real draw in these books is not the fact that Edward is perfect and gorgeous. The draw is that Edward is perfect and gorgeous and obsessed with the Mary-Sue self-insert character. These books are nothing more than a narcissistic fantasy. The eroticism is derived from the man's obsession with the woman, not the woman's obsession with the man. Ask any of the fans. Edward is at his "hottest" when he's being "protective" because he simply can't bear to lose her and must gaze upon her as she sleeps and blah blah blah.

Bella (a.k.a. any loser reading this stupid fucking book) is lauded as being more intelligent than her peers, beautiful but OH SO HUMBLE at the same time, and lusted after by every guy that looks at her. All the girls want to be her friend so that they can be popular. All the cute boys and even some of the ugly ones want to ask her to the school dance. She so Sueper Special that she manages to melt the ice around Edward's heart and earns his undying devotion and obsession. He wants her so bad that it's a constant struggle for him not to drain her dry or, metaphors aside, sex her up.

Meyer squawks on about choices and the importance of them, but at the end of the series Bella has her cake and eats it too. She has a beautiful baby that she doesn't really have to work hard to take care of and won't be saddled with for long, she can still associate with her friend Jacob, and she becomes an insanely powerful and beautiful vampire. She never has to worry about growing up. She never has to worry about things like college and aging and money and what she's going to do with her life. Hell, she doesn't even have a hard time resisting human blood. Everything is tied up with a neat little bow and she gets to spend the rest of eternity worshipping and being worshipped by Edward.

The real thrill for these girls is the idea that somebody so powerful is stupidly in love with the Bella Suit and whatever reader is wearing it in her fantasies. Meyer has written the ultimate self-indulgent daydream. The more I think about it, the more I realize that the sexism is almost incidental. Meyer is so hideously immature that this is her ultimate fantasy. Being young, beautiful, completely without responsibility, and the center of some gorgeous man's universe. Wouldn't that seem like an exciting prospect to you if you were a put-upon Mormon housewife raising a litter of kids?

She has four sons and some boring-ass husband that she met when she was a child. It's obvious she was a total knockout when she was younger and is very self-conscious about the fact that she's aging. But Bella will never grow old and lose her beauty. Bella doesn't have to deal with dirty diapers and soccer practices and grocery store tantrums because Renesmee is fully self-aware and will only take 6 years to grow to maturity. Bella gets along famously with her husband's family, no shitty in-laws here. Bella doesn't have to make any decisions or do any work because Edward takes care of everything and has a fuck ton of money.

I think this series was her way of gilding her own cage. It's what her life would look like if she was allowed to play God for five minutes.
Back to top Go down
Braigwen
Why yes, I am a Rocket Scientist!
Braigwen

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 16 EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 10:31 am

I almost have the urge to read that on camera and post it on You Tube just to see the wank that gets started.

I so want to, its that brilliant. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 16 EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 11:15 am

Mythandariel wrote:
I almost have the urge to read that on camera and post it on You Tube just to see the wank that gets started.

I so want to, its that brilliant. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
DO IT!
Back to top Go down
Braigwen
Braigwen

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 16 EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 11:27 am

ZoZo wrote:
Mythandariel wrote:

DO IT!

May I mention that I am WGW member and Twihards retaliate at their own risk? I would love to watch the wank and flailing fits of fail.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 16 EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 11:32 am

Just don't make it sound like an Internet Tough Guy I DARE YOU FAGGOTS thing.
Back to top Go down
Sheba
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sheba

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 16 EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 11:49 am

Mythandariel wrote:
ZoZo wrote:
Mythandariel wrote:

DO IT!

May I mention that I am WGW member and Twihards retaliate at their own risk? I would love to watch the wank and flailing fits of fail.

Please do. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 16 EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 12:07 pm

Sigh.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The Air Force's relationship with the Twilight series is almost official now. FML.
Back to top Go down
Keith Fraser
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Keith Fraser

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 16 EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 1:52 pm

I would like to wholeheartedly support the idea of Mythandariel reading out Narwhal's rant on YouTube, preferably with some background to give it context (i.e. part of/a summary of the exchange that led up to it). Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 16 8638

Last edited by Keith Fraser on Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Correctly attributing rant...)
Back to top Go down
Lysander
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Lysander

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 16 EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 3:22 pm

Narwhal wrote:
Meyer has written the ultimate self-indulgent daydream.

Yes, everyone comments on how Bella was "born thirty, and gets more middle aged every year", which is really fucking convenient when you're a middle-aged author writing a teenage Mary Sue.

It's actually kind of funny when the mask slips. Like Bella having a sudden onset of mid-life crisis on her 18th birthday.
Back to top Go down
Narwhal
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Narwhal

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 16 EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 3:45 pm

Hell, Bella even gets to have a daughter. According to the wikipedia article Meyer has 3 sons, not 4. My bad. But still, it fits.
Back to top Go down
Braigwen
Braigwen

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 16 EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 4:33 pm

Narwhal wrote:
Hell, Bella even gets to have a daughter. According to the wikipedia article Meyer has 3 sons, not 4. My bad. But still, it fits.

It's also another way to lash out at the patriarchy since daughters aren't normally viewed in the same light as sons are.
Back to top Go down
Narwhal
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Narwhal

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 16 EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 4:51 pm

She's in way too deep to even acknowledge that there is a patriarchy. It's just more evidence that she uses these books as a way to build herself a better life.
Back to top Go down
Braigwen
Braigwen

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 16 EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 6:29 pm