Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Humorous Misspellings

Go down 
+69
Exodia's Right Leg
Drabbler
Reidmar
Summercorn
Petronella
Braigwen
maladroit_mooncalf
Owlish
rae
GeorgeUK
knightwithoutacause
Lurv
your mom
NichoMas
Pengwolf
Shingzyl
Vilecat
Adagio
Ya-u
ellecue
Tony Branston
John Marston
Vanilla-villa
myeerah
Chris91
Ellym
EileenK98
Carrion Crawler
FreakEgg
Root Admin
rachel
ZOMG Rachy
Sutremaine
Blinky
The Unoriginal
Penguin
germankitty
Little Egypt
Cactus Wren
Shisaiga
Glorfindel
Tungsten Monk
Foxfire
karmyn31
ZoZo
Chaltab
Fairlight
KGarrett
grmblfjx
szaleniec
Jay/Cris
Wandering Critic
Sparrow
Toastuh
Seule
chelonianmobile
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
anangrychocobo
Keith Fraser
Lembech
Sheba
Inciter
quamp
Animir
Rabid Badger
Miss Misery
Miraba
aqua mew
Lady Anne
73 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

Humorous Misspellings - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Humorous Misspellings   Humorous Misspellings - Page 7 EmptySun Jul 24, 2011 10:33 pm

maladroit_mooncalf wrote:
Lady Anne wrote:
From a program for a performance of The Phantom of the Opera:

Quote :
A Graveyard in Perris
For those who don't know, Paris is a city in France and the setting of The Phantom of the Opera. Perris is a town in southern California which, while it has a cemetery, is definitely not the setting of The Phantom of the Opera (and the closest thing to an opera house in Perris is the Bob Glass Gym, which has a stage, bleachers, and lousy acoustics).

Actually, they probably meant "Perros", as Perros-Guirec was the burial place of Christine's father.
No, they meant Paris. This particular performance of Phantom was at a high school in Romoland, CA, which is right next to Perris, which is home to a number of the students.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Harley Quinn hyenaholic

PostSubject: Re: Humorous Misspellings   Humorous Misspellings - Page 7 EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 5:04 am

Don't forget the Snark Bat!
Back to top Go down
https://www.fanfiction.net/~breechloader
maladroit_mooncalf
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
maladroit_mooncalf

PostSubject: Re: Humorous Misspellings   Humorous Misspellings - Page 7 EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 4:02 pm

Lady Anne wrote:
maladroit_mooncalf wrote:
Actually, they probably meant "Perros", as Perros-Guirec was the burial place of Christine's father.
No, they meant Paris. This particular performance of Phantom was at a high school in Romoland, CA, which is right next to Perris, which is home to a number of the students.

I'm guessing it was some sort of unconscious association thing, like the time I was talking to someone in California and typed "laugh" where I meant "life" because I had previously been told that my southern accent made the latter sound like the former. I've never been to any of the live shows, so I asked a friend who had and he showed me a program that says "SCENE 5 - A GRAVEYARD IN PERROS".

Back to top Go down
Pengwolf

PostSubject: Re: Humorous Misspellings   Humorous Misspellings - Page 7 EmptySun Oct 02, 2011 1:07 am

From Silent Hill: Scarlet Memories.

Quote :
We were heading to Florida to get my aunt, and my father must have taken a short cut, or he thought. Shortly after I woke we crashed from this odd fog on the road. It was so bazaar though,

Well if it really was you would think there would be a place to buy a weapon.
Back to top Go down
Braigwen
Why yes, I am a Rocket Scientist!
Why yes, I am a Rocket Scientist!
Braigwen

PostSubject: Re: Humorous Misspellings   Humorous Misspellings - Page 7 EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 5:42 pm

Pengwolf wrote:
From Silent Hill: Scarlet Memories.

Quote :
We were heading to Florida to get my aunt, and my father must have taken a short cut, or he thought. Shortly after I woke we crashed from this odd fog on the road. It was so bazaar though,

Well if it really was you would think there would be a place to buy a weapon.

Don't you mean a Wepon? And shouldn't he be on the roof where normal people close?
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Humorous Misspellings   Humorous Misspellings - Page 7 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 8:51 pm

From a Titanic fic set during World War I:

Quote :
"You can't go, Jack. I don't want to wind up a window."
World War I was horrific, but...I'm reasonably certain that no woman wound up a window. There were plenty of widows, but becoming a window was a bit more unlikely.
Back to top Go down
Petronella

Petronella

PostSubject: Re: Humorous Misspellings   Humorous Misspellings - Page 7 EmptyMon Oct 24, 2011 12:43 am

How about My Inner Life, where Jenna and Link fall back "painting" after they have sex?
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Humorous Misspellings   Humorous Misspellings - Page 7 EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 12:41 pm

Not exactly a misspelling, but rather a really poorly written sentence:

Quote :
Lulu, having witnessed the murder of a culinary television star, decides to enter a cooking competition in order to try and uncover who the killer is, while Stephanie helps Ranger investigate a series of break-ins and things start to heat up between them, despite her relationship with officer Joe Morelli's objections.
Boldly mine. Stephanie Plum has a relationship with her boyfriend's objections?

(By the way, this is from the description of the novel Finger Lickin' Fifteen as presented on the Titlewave website).
Back to top Go down
Owlish
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Owlish

PostSubject: Re: Humorous Misspellings   Humorous Misspellings - Page 7 EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 10:33 pm

From the same fic:

Quote :
His body was covered in a light sheath of sweat
Yeah, literally sweating your own body suit is not normal or healthy. Please see a doctor.

Quote :
A ray of sunshine illuminated him, making him look anglican.
The sunlight made him look like a member of the English church?
Back to top Go down
Summercorn
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Summercorn

PostSubject: Re: Humorous Misspellings   Humorous Misspellings - Page 7 EmptyThu Nov 24, 2011 7:57 am

Backstreet Boys fanfiction where Nick had a row with Kevin.

Quote :
Nick slammed the front door angrily and kicked off his sneakers. He ran upstairs to his bedroom. He took off his sweater and hurled it at the wall. Then he threw his shit onto the bed.
The context says 'shirt', but, oh, the mental image!

Harry Potter summary that has the loveliest misspelling of 'destiny', I've ever seen.

Quote :
Harry has finished his first year at Hogwarts. He's learned some magic, he's made some friends and now he's at last learning the dark secret of his density.

Slightly off topic, when subtitles are added live there are bound to be some errors. I was once watching Sky Sports where presenter Richard Keys was interviewing soccer manager Gordon Strachan. They were discussing soccer player Craig Bellamy, who had been substituted in a match and had stormed off the pitch and down the tunnel to the locker room with all the panache of a spoiled two-year-old.

Interview went like this:-

Keys: When you were Bellamy's manager, did you ever have to substitute him?

Strachan: Yes, I did.

Keys: Did you get a big reaction?

Strachan: Yes. He's a very passionate player.

Subtitles substituted 'erection' for 'reaction. Changes the whole tenor of the conversation.
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Humorous Misspellings   Humorous Misspellings - Page 7 EmptyFri Nov 25, 2011 10:26 pm

From a Titanic fanfic set in the 1920's:

Quote :
Rose decided she needed more rogue on her knees.
Guess those rogues in the 1920s were pretty small and lightweight, if a woman could balance more than one on her knees.
Back to top Go down
Reidmar
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Reidmar

Location : A string of Code in the Interwebz( IF living = true input ragequit)

PostSubject: Re: Humorous Misspellings   Humorous Misspellings - Page 7 EmptyFri Nov 25, 2011 10:58 pm

Wandering Critic wrote:
I have to wonder how many of these mistakes (fanbrat, student, or otherwise) are the result of people trusting their spelling checkers too much. The "correct all" feature is just plain terrifying.

For instance, mine presents "tuba" as the first choice to replace "toba", and if you remember that these people don't read, you can see where they could get "toba" instead of "toga" ... they're not writing words, they're transcribing sounds, and "b" and "g" can be fairly easily mistaken for each other, especially in some regional accents.

We wouldn't make that mistake because we read. We look at a word and say hey, that doesn't look right. Then we change it until it does. It may not be so much a matter of meaning, even, as it is pattern recognition. Humans are good at that. People who couldn't tell you the first thing about the breed standard for collies would spot something wrong (even if they weren't sure what) in a picture of a collie with the wrong coat colors, or maybe big floppy hound ears. We read, so we do that with words, too. Too many people today don't read any more than they're forced to, and they don't understand that the written language is something all its own, not just a transcription of sounds.

Of course, just writing down the sounds doesn't work. Imagine someone from Yorkshire, someone from Jamaica, someone from Nashville, and someone from Edinburgh all trying to read the phonetic transcription of what each other has said. You can't convince the phonics-raised fanbrats of that, though. So they mistake their and there and they're, they use ur for your or you're indiscriminately, and their Roman Patricias wear purple tubas ... and anyway, only the Emperor got a purple tuba; ordinary Senators had to make do with a purple stripe ... maybe around the bell? Also, if you wear it, that's a Sousaphone, not a tuba. And I think I need more sleep.
Your name suits you, you could have just said "People today tend to try as hard as humanely possible to NOT read as much as they can. Humorous Misspellings - Page 7 896582
Back to top Go down
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

PostSubject: Re: Humorous Misspellings   Humorous Misspellings - Page 7 EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 1:19 am

Reidmar wrote:
Wandering Critic wrote:
Actual post
Your name suits you, you could have just said "People today tend to try as hard as humanely possible to NOT read as much as they can. Humorous Misspellings - Page 7 896582
Yes, they could be like you and make vapid, pointless, oversimplified and overgeneralized one-line spam posts with a generous dose of Captain Obvious on the side.

Or they could, you know, actually say something.
Back to top Go down
Reidmar
Reidmar

PostSubject: Re: Humorous Misspellings   Humorous Misspellings - Page 7 EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 8:12 am

grmblfjx wrote:
Reidmar wrote:
Wandering Critic wrote:
Actual post
Yes, they could be like you and make vapid, pointless, oversimplified and overgeneralized one-line spam posts with a generous dose of Captain Obvious on the side.

Or they could, you know, actually say something.
True, but then that would require other people actually... you know, caring about what they have to say. Colbert Which seems to be missing from most of today's society with a placed, tl;dr from most of the websites I have visited lately.
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Humorous Misspellings   Humorous Misspellings - Page 7 EmptySat Dec 31, 2011 12:25 pm

Someone drew a picture of a guy with a giant penis in one of the English books. Under it, someone wrote:

Quote :
U NEED A CONDOR
Never underestimate the entertainment value of taggers who can't spell.
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Humorous Misspellings   Humorous Misspellings - Page 7 EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 6:53 pm

I ran across this one today:

Quote :
Two dogs were humphing in the street.
I wonder how a dog humphs. Usually they just bark, growl, and whine.
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Humorous Misspellings   Humorous Misspellings - Page 7 EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 9:42 pm

One of the boys at the school I work for is trying to write a romance novel. Here is a line that I had to work very hard at not laughing at.

Quote :
The site of her heving beasts made him want to humph her.
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Humorous Misspellings   Humorous Misspellings - Page 7 EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 5:56 pm

From an otherwise excellent Earth's Children fic:

Quote :
He passed his spear down their line and asked them to step forward to where he had tied a dear killed that morning to a tree.
Bolding mine. If it was so dear, why was it killed?

From a review of the same story:

Quote :
I swear, your writing is sending me through the gamete of emotions !!
A gamete (from Ancient Greek γαμέτης gametes "husband" / γαμετή gamete "wife") is a cell that fuses with another cell during fertilization (conception) in organisms that reproduce sexually. (from Wikipedia)

Scientists would like to study this reviewer, because never before have gametes been produced by fanfic (released, yes, at least with males, but produced? Not so much.)
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Humorous Misspellings   Humorous Misspellings - Page 7 EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 8:42 pm

Quote :
Obviously some of these reviewers have no sense of hummer!
Well, not everyone can sing.
Back to top Go down
knightwithoutacause
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
knightwithoutacause

PostSubject: Re: Humorous Misspellings   Humorous Misspellings - Page 7 EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 1:25 pm

From a Kannazuki no Miko fanfiction I read:

Quote :
Her kiss although it was forceful, wasn't viscous but compassionate

I thought I wouldn't find all that many fanfics, much less badfics for Kannazuki no Miko. I was wrong.
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Humorous Misspellings   Humorous Misspellings - Page 7 EmptyMon May 21, 2012 8:18 pm

This is a picture of an actual university commencement program:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Drabbler
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Drabbler

PostSubject: Re: Humorous Misspellings   Humorous Misspellings - Page 7 EmptyMon May 21, 2012 10:50 pm

Hook 'em!
Back to top Go down
Exodia's Right Leg
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Exodia's Right Leg

PostSubject: Re: Humorous Misspellings   Humorous Misspellings - Page 7 EmptyThu May 24, 2012 8:06 am

Some of those people make the same kind of mistake when texting.

It's... kind of strange to have English as a second language and still have better grammar than the average American internet user.
Back to top Go down
Reidmar
Reidmar

PostSubject: Re: Humorous Misspellings   Humorous Misspellings - Page 7 EmptyThu May 24, 2012 11:03 am

Exodia's Right Leg wrote:
Some of those people make the same kind of mistake when texting.

It's... kind of strange to have English as a second language and still have better grammar than the average American internet user.
I. Personally find it hilarious.
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Humorous Misspellings   Humorous Misspellings - Page 7 EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 1:23 pm

Today, a fanbrat decided to stop writing their story for a while, so they added this to the summary:

Quote :
ON HIGHAGUS
It sounds like a disease.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Humorous Misspellings   Humorous Misspellings - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

Humorous Misspellings
Page 7 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum