Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Thinking about abortion now a crime.

Go down 
+42
KeyserSoze
Blooferlady
Trioculus
Bamshalam
tachikoma01
Mr.Doobie
gaijinguy
Manny
lemmingwriter
Lady Anne
Just Chipper
Jay/Cris
Knorg
Knight
Somath Cegem
Verandering
Penguin
Ezri Dax
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
ZoZo
TheHermit
Jesus.
TheHedonist
Chaltab
Seule
Ayezur
DarthDarthington
The Alien from Uranus
Mikey Go WOOGA
Ghost in the Machine
Malganis
Miss Prince
bleachedblackcat
Psy-4
Azzandra
rae
Reidmar
Cyberwulf
Delcat
Maximilia
Mafiosa
Anathema
46 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Anathema

Thinking about abortion now a crime. Empty
PostSubject: Thinking about abortion now a crime.   Thinking about abortion now a crime. EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 1:05 pm

In Iowa, Christine Taylor fainted and fell down the stairs. Paramedics told her she was okay, but since she was concerned about her pregnancy, she went to the ER just in case. And then...

Quote :
Taylor confided in the nurse treating her that she hadn't always been
sure she'd wanted this baby...
She'd considered ... abortion before ultimately deciding
to keep the child. The nurse then summoned a doctor, who questioned her
further about her thoughts on ending the pregnancy. Next thing Taylor
knew, she was being arrested for attempted feticide.

Yes. Because she mentioned that, at first, she was unsure about keeping her child, they assumed she threw herself down the stairs to cause an abortion. She was arrested, held for two days, and let go.

I just... This is terrifying.

AP sauce
More In-depth
EDIT: Even more info

Last edited by Anathema on Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mafiosa
You crack me up, little buddy!

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about abortion now a crime.   Thinking about abortion now a crime. EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 1:06 pm

WHAT

WILL COMMENT FURTHER WHEN NOT WTFING

e: okay wait I just thought of something what are the chances of this actually making it through court?
Back to top Go down
Maximilia
My spoon is too big.
My spoon is too big.
Maximilia

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about abortion now a crime.   Thinking about abortion now a crime. EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 1:07 pm

Oh for fuck's sake.
Back to top Go down
Delcat
Good old-fashioned nightmare fuel
Delcat

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about abortion now a crime.   Thinking about abortion now a crime. EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 1:08 pm

But but but but IT'S IMPOSSIBLE NOT TO THINK ABOUT SOMETHING WHEN YOU'RE TRYING NOT TO THINK ABOUT IT

OH GOD GUYS I CAN'T STOP THINKING ABOUT ABORTIONS

AND PINK HIPPOS
Back to top Go down
http://delcat.insanejournal.com
Mafiosa

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about abortion now a crime.   Thinking about abortion now a crime. EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 1:09 pm

Delcat wrote:
But but but but IT'S IMPOSSIBLE NOT TO THINK ABOUT SOMETHING WHEN YOU'RE TRYING NOT TO THINK ABOUT IT

OH GOD GUYS I CAN'T STOP THINKING ABOUT ABORTIONS

AND PINK HIPPOS

OH HELLO I'M THE THOUGHT POLICE

MAFI ORWELL REFERENCE TALLY: ll
Back to top Go down
Anathema

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about abortion now a crime.   Thinking about abortion now a crime. EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 1:11 pm

Mafiosa wrote:
WHAT

WILL COMMENT FURTHER WHEN NOT WTFING

e: okay wait I just thought of something what are the chances of this actually making it through court?

Because the nurse misreported how far along the pregnancy was to the police, and it turns out Taylor was only late second trimester, they can't take her to court.

But if she had been early third trimester, like the nurse reported... I don't know. Third source is really in-depth, if a little tl;dr.

Last edited by Anathema on Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:14 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : I am a failure at typing twice)
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about abortion now a crime.   Thinking about abortion now a crime. EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 1:13 pm

This is such fucking bullshit.
Back to top Go down
Reidmar
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Reidmar

Location : A string of Code in the Interwebz( IF living = true input ragequit)

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about abortion now a crime.   Thinking about abortion now a crime. EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 1:16 pm

Ah ha ha, wow.
Back to top Go down
Delcat
Delcat

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about abortion now a crime.   Thinking about abortion now a crime. EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 1:17 pm

Anathema wrote:
But if she had been early trimester, like the nurse reported... I don't know.
The fact remains that no matter what trimester it was, she went to the hospital to stabilize the baby. If she had really wanted an abortion, she could've waited in the hopes of it miscarrying, or not gone to the hospital at all if it didn't miscarry and try again some other time.

Hey, can Spotts or someone explain how doctor-patient confidentiality works in this situation, please? I know you've gotta report it if you think someone is in danger, but...fuck, shit just seems wrong here. And while you're at it, could you get one of your lawyer buddies to take my pink hippo case? I dun liek rats D:
Back to top Go down
rae
Contributor
Contributor
rae

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about abortion now a crime.   Thinking about abortion now a crime. EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 2:09 pm

I was planning on putting this up when I first saw it. Along with this:

A woman in Florida (who's surprised?) went to the doctor and was judged to be at risk for a miscarriage. He prescribed bed rest. She stated that, as she had two small children, that wasn't possible and she wanted a second opinion.

The second opinion was denied and, since she'd stated she would not remain on bed rest, he had her committed. There is no evidence that bed rest prevents pre-term birth.

Quote :
The doctor said no and called the state which confined her to this doctor’s care in this doctor’s hospital against her will, where she was forced to have a c-section three days later and it was found she had already miscarried.

Sauce #1 Sauce #2

I've seen little better evidence that supports the view that half these fuckers view women as incubators that walk, or that they only care about the HOLY FETUS. Who gives a shit once they're born, amirite?
Back to top Go down
Azzandra
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Azzandra

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about abortion now a crime.   Thinking about abortion now a crime. EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 2:24 pm

rae wrote:
I've seen little better evidence that supports the view that half these fuckers view women as incubators that walk, or that they only care about the HOLY FETUS. Who gives a shit once they're born, amirite?

You know, if I am ever visiting the United States and getting heckled by some fundie, I will loudly proclaim that since I was once a fetus, what they are doing is clearly A CRIME AGAINST LIFE OMG!1!!
Back to top Go down
Psy-4

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about abortion now a crime.   Thinking about abortion now a crime. EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 3:06 pm

I guess her consideration to have an abortion was interpreted as intent to commit a crime.
Back to top Go down
bleachedblackcat
bleachedblackcat

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about abortion now a crime.   Thinking about abortion now a crime. EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 5:31 pm

*takes deep breath*

Ok, so the first time I read this I was on the same side as everyone else here. Then I read on.

I truely think she threw herself down the stairs in a state of madness. In an interview she says that she was talking to her ex and her thoughts went "I can't stand this. This isn't fair." and she suddenly blacked out and she KNEW that she was going down the stairs but at the same time didn't.

We don't know just what her words to the nurses and doctors had been. When they say "was in jail" it can mean anything from "they carted her off" to "they made her stay in the room until they knew what was going on."

They're also not charging her. It said so in more then a few news things.

She needs some mental help. Not because she's a bad person but I think the stress made her snap. And there is a reason behind the law, we shouldn't have women doing things to harm themselves. If they do something to miscarry during the last three months it could really hard their bodies. And yes, it can be used (like every other law in the books) in the wrong way.

She also needs to stop whining. "I wouldn't ever be able to have a job now!" my ass.
Back to top Go down
rae
Contributor
Contributor
rae

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about abortion now a crime.   Thinking about abortion now a crime. EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 5:38 pm

Give me your source for that.

Also, you clearly haven't seen the news reports about her. They probably WILL affect her ability to be hired somewhere.
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about abortion now a crime.   Thinking about abortion now a crime. EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 5:41 pm

bleachedblackcat wrote:
I truely think she threw herself down the stairs in a state of madness.
Based on absolutely nothing.

Quote :
When they say "was in jail" it can mean anything from "they carted her off" to "they made her stay in the room until they knew what was going on."
She was arrested. Charges were considered. This was mentioned SEVERAL. TIMES. In the articles.

Quote :
They're also not charging her.
Because she was in her second trimester and not her third trimester.

Quote :
And there is a reason behind the law, we shouldn't have women doing things to harm themselves.
BULL FUCKING SHIT. This isn't about the woman. It's about teh kewt ickle baaaaybeeeee. It criminalises pregnant women who obtain medically necessary abortions and the doctors who carry them out.

Are there other laws that seek to criminalise people hurting themselves? Can cutters be arrested under the "no self harming laws" and put in jail?

Quote :
She also needs to stop whining. "I wouldn't ever be able to have a job now!" my ass.
Eat shit.
Back to top Go down
bleachedblackcat
bleachedblackcat

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about abortion now a crime.   Thinking about abortion now a crime. EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 6:10 pm

Ok so I was slightly wrong she said she almost blacked out not that she did black out.

Quote :
Taylor said her husband, who lives in Maryland, left her after she became pregnant with her third child last summer. She said she was despondent after a Jan. 19 telephone conversation with him.

"He was saying some very hurtful things and told me he wants to be free," said Taylor, a Maryland native. "And here I was alone, pregnant with two young kids, with no family around or support. I just thought, 'It's not fair.' ... I was so upset and frantic I almost blacked out, and I tripped and fell."
I'm sorry but if I had heard that from the woman while treating her I might have also called the police. If a women showed up with brokn ribs and said "Oh I fell down the stairs and by the way my husband and I fight all the time." would you realy think she fell down the stairs?

Also:

Quote :
According a police report, nurse Tiffany Prickett said Taylor told her in the emergency room she did not want the baby. "She had asked Christine if she just didn't want the kid tonight, and Christine told her that she hadn't wanted the baby all along," the report said.

Quote :
Are there other laws that seek to criminalise people hurting themselves? Can cutters be arrested under the "no self harming laws" and put in jail?
Yes and no. They can get arrested but get put in a place to get mental help.

How is she not going to get a job ever again? People who have done things far, far worse then what she was accused of get jobs. I do feel bad for her, the whole thing was overblown and they should not have put her in a jail cell. They should have given her help and support, like people do when they attempt to kill themselves.
Back to top Go down
Miss Prince
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Miss Prince

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about abortion now a crime.   Thinking about abortion now a crime. EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 6:15 pm

bleachedblackcat wrote:
Ok so I was slightly wrong she said she almost blacked out not that she did black out.

Quote :
Taylor said her husband, who lives in Maryland, left her after she became pregnant with her third child last summer. She said she was despondent after a Jan. 19 telephone conversation with him.

"He was saying some very hurtful things and told me he wants to be free," said Taylor, a Maryland native. "And here I was alone, pregnant with two young kids, with no family around or support. I just thought, 'It's not fair.' ... I was so upset and frantic I almost blacked out, and I tripped and fell."
I'm sorry but if I had heard that from the woman while treating her I might have also called the police. If a women showed up with brokn ribs and said "Oh I fell down the stairs and by the way my husband and I fight all the time." would you realy think she fell down the stairs?

I'd consider the idea that he pushed her.

Which he can't do over the phone.
Back to top Go down
bleachedblackcat
bleachedblackcat

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about abortion now a crime.   Thinking about abortion now a crime. EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 6:27 pm

Miss Prince wrote:
bleachedblackcat wrote:

Quote :

I'd consider the idea that he pushed her.

Which he can't do over the phone.

Sorry I should have been more clear. The broken ribs one was a husband and wife together and it happens thing. I'm trying to point out that the nurse couldn't have been sure that the woman had really fallen. Maybe she thought calling the police would get help (which it didn't but still). I doubt she was all "OMG THAT POOR BABY!!!" at the time. My mom's a nurse and she's called the police on people because she was scared that they would try and hurt themselves.
Back to top Go down
Delcat
Delcat

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about abortion now a crime.   Thinking about abortion now a crime. EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 7:13 pm

bleachedblackcat wrote:
Quote :
Yes and no. They can get arrested but get put in a place to get mental help.
Are you stating that SHOULD happen, or that COULD happen?

Because if you're stating it SHOULD happen, we're about to have a whole 'nother talk here together.
Back to top Go down
rae
Contributor
Contributor
rae

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about abortion now a crime.   Thinking about abortion now a crime. EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 8:08 pm

How is saying one time that your name is ruined (It is. I can get you peer reviewed articles stating that people will remember her name and 'baby killing' and nothing else about the case) constitute whining. Lack of work is a legitimate fucking concern for many, many people, especially single mothers. It's hard -- damned near impossible -- in some places for pregnant, single mothers to get a job, ones who don't have anything bad attached to their name.

Given that this nurse VIOLATED HER RIGHTS, I don't think she's a very good fucking source for what Taylor did or did not say. She's going to say anything to cover her ass now that she VIOLATED A PATIENT'S RIGHTS. Let me say that again: VIOLATED HER RIGHTS because she thought that she might be considering a crime. Thinking about an abortion is (thank fuck) not (yet) illegal in America. The nurse broke the law to protect THE HOLY FETUS. That's what this comes down to. If she wasn't concerned about her baby, why the fuck would she go to the ER in the first place? In other words, the nurse heard 'abortion' and leaped to conclusions, just like you're doing.

I'm reading the same article you linked, but I feel like we're reading two different articles.
Back to top Go down
Mafiosa

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about abortion now a crime.   Thinking about abortion now a crime. EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 8:28 pm

How dare this woman fall down the stairs. Honestly, what a whiner.
Back to top Go down
Malganis
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Malganis

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about abortion now a crime.   Thinking about abortion now a crime. EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 9:25 pm

rae wrote:
I was planning on putting this up when I first saw it. Along with this:

A woman in Florida (who's surprised?) went to the doctor and was judged to be at risk for a miscarriage. He prescribed bed rest. She stated that, as she had two small children, that wasn't possible and she wanted a second opinion.

The second opinion was denied and, since she'd stated she would not remain on bed rest, he had her committed. There is no evidence that bed rest prevents pre-term birth.

Quote :
The doctor said no and called the state which confined her to this doctor’s care in this doctor’s hospital against her will, where she was forced to have a c-section three days later and it was found she had already miscarried.

Something else I think that may contribute to this is the whole "the doctor is God and his whims/pronouncements must be obeyed" mentality that until recently was very, very common in the U.S. (I say "his" because up until relatively recently the majority of doctors were men.)

I've seen a lot of (anecdotal, but I do believe that they count for something) cases on anti-circ and size acceptance sites/fora of doctors outright bullying and emotionally abusing patients or parents of patients because the people did not want to have their son circ'ed or did not lose weight, or whatever, and ANY questioning of the doctor's pronouncements was taken as an affront to the doctor's authority, and one that could not be left unchallenged.
Back to top Go down
bleachedblackcat
bleachedblackcat

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about abortion now a crime.   Thinking about abortion now a crime. EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 9:31 pm

*shrugs* I'm sorry that I'm offending everyone. I just don't see why everyone is mad at the nurse when the police are the ones who did the fucked up stuff. The nurse had every right to think that the woman might have hurt herself.

The Florida thing? Why the hell didn't that doctor get sued for everything he owned plus some? How the hell do you force a c-section on someone?
Back to top Go down
Ghost in the Machine
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Ghost in the Machine

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about abortion now a crime.   Thinking about abortion now a crime. EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 9:49 pm

bleachedblackcat wrote:
How the hell do you force a c-section on someone?

Have her committed (which he did) and that prevents her from making her own medical decisions. Whoever was appointed her guardian then approved the doctor's treatment plan.

Last edited by Ghost in the Machine on Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Lousy typing on my part.)
Back to top Go down
Miss Prince
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Miss Prince

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about abortion now a crime.   Thinking about abortion now a crime. EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 9:58 pm

I find the forced C-section the most overwhelmingly fucked-up part of this.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about abortion now a crime.   Thinking about abortion now a crime. Empty

Back to top Go down

Thinking about abortion now a crime.
Page 1 of 7Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next