Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Square Enix CEO Resigns!

Go down 
+16
Eeveegou
WD40
Sparrow
Wolf
rae
ZOOLANDER
Aggie
Reepicheep-chan
Disco Stu
Hot Cancer
grmblfjx
Jay/Cris
Mikey Go WOOGA
Cyberwulf
TheIan
Rulke55
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Rulke55

Square Enix CEO Resigns! Empty
PostSubject: Square Enix CEO Resigns!   Square Enix CEO Resigns! EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 12:12 pm

Taken from BlisteredThumbs

Not long after the CEO of EA has resigned now Square Enix has done the same, is the gaming landscape changing?

Quote :
ust a week after John Riccitiello resigned from his position at Electronic Arts, another major publisher is seeing its head step down. This time it is Square Enix CEO Yoichi Wada, who “will be replaced by current representative director Yosuke Matsuda.”

This decision is almost certainly tied to the catastrophic losses that Square revealed this morning, totaling some 10 billion Yen ($105 million) for the fiscal year. This “extraordinary” failure is spurring management restructuring throughout the entire company. More details are likely forthcoming, but the biggest contributing factors seem to be big budget software releases and diminishing arcade returns. Presumably, the former is more true of massive investments like Crystal Tools titles, as opposed to their successful distribution of Western games like Deus Ex and Tomb Raider, which were profitable.

We will keep you informed as this story develops.

Taken from Blistered Thumbs

Quote :
Square Enix announced today their massive net loss for the fiscal year and subsequent release of former CEO Yoichi Wada, but the news is still grim for the Japanese gaming giant. While the reasons for their over ¥10 billion ($105 million) net loss by the company is still in the dark, new information has surfaced regarding the “weak” sales of major console titles released by Square this year.

“Weak” is a complete misnomer regarding the numbers for three big players by the company. Sleeping Dogs, Hitman Absolution, and Tomb Raider had a combined total of approximately 8.55 million units sold during the fiscal year, with Hitman: Absolution leading the charge at a usually healthy 3.6 million units on its own. Only Sleeping Dogs, the untested IP, failed to break 2 million units sold. What’s worse, the numbers above don’t count digital distribution, meaning that adding in more sales through the likes of Steam means they still didn’t hit their projected goal.

And yet, Square is quite to say that the sales for all three games are below their projections. According to the briefing filed by Square, “Despite the high critical acclaim, [the games listed] failed to meet each target. In particular, North America sales force was ineffective, ending up with 2/3 of number of units sold in Europe.”

This is not the first time Square has cited poor sales, despite the numbers deceptively not matching up with such statements. Tomb Raider: Underworld snagged 1.5 million units sold back in 2008, yet Eidos was disappointed by the titles performance at that time. Crystal Dynamics was also hit with layoffs shortly thereafter.

This is also not the only case of a gaming budget being overly ballooned. Many will recall EA’s Frank Gibeau citing that Dead Space 3 needed about 5 million units sold to continue to justify investing into the Dead Space franchise. The now defunct 38 Studios Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, was able to ship 1.5 million copies within four months, yet needed to make double that to generate any kind of profit.

There seems to be a massive epidemic regarding cost of development these days. If gaming budgets are growing to the lofty heights of nearly $10-$20 million or more, it would not be surprising to see 3.4 million units sold as “weak,” according to Square Enix. It also means the industry has a spending problem that needs to stop, so that such budgets don’t begin to cripple studios in the process.

Thoughts?

Link -Weird

Last edited by theweirdkind on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added link)
Back to top Go down
TheIan
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
TheIan

PostSubject: Re: Square Enix CEO Resigns!   Square Enix CEO Resigns! EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 3:50 pm

So long as the next Kingdom Hearts game comes out and the next Final Fantasy game isn't a corridor with shit-storytelling and battle system, change is awesome!
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: Square Enix CEO Resigns!   Square Enix CEO Resigns! EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 4:51 pm

Link?
Back to top Go down
Rulke55

PostSubject: Re: Square Enix CEO Resigns!   Square Enix CEO Resigns! EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 5:36 pm

I can't link not been here long enough, check BlisteredThumbs...
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Square Enix CEO Resigns!   Square Enix CEO Resigns! EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 8:26 pm

Rulke55 wrote:
I can't link not been here long enough, check BlisteredThumbs...

It's easy.

1.) Copy the URL
2.) Find that little button above the text box when you're posting that looks like a link of a chain (It's between the Flash thingy and the Image thingy)
3.) Click on that button
4.) If you can't figure it out from there you should probably destroy your modem with a ball peen hammer, as a courtesy to the rest of us.
Back to top Go down
Rulke55

PostSubject: Re: Square Enix CEO Resigns!   Square Enix CEO Resigns! EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 9:14 pm

Okay, one I figured posting links of any sort was forbidden until you had been a member for more than seven days, secondly no need to be condescending. Thirdly I could not destroy my modem even if I wanted too, since it's in a college building with tons of other computer software, I am on a college server.

But fine hold on here's the links:

Oh wait I can't and did what you said, but just in case you don't believe me... here

Quote :
New members are not allowed to post external links or emails for 7 days. Please contact the forum administrator for more information.

So I recommend searching these on google

Square Enix Suffers Massive Losses, CEO Resigns

Square Enix Notes “Weak” Sales for Console Hits

Otherwise next time before snarking, why not check, since snark without checking just shows you to be the clueless one.

But anyway if you must have links you will get them when I can post links without having to hack apart a URL.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Square Enix CEO Resigns!   Square Enix CEO Resigns! EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 11:46 pm

Rulke55 wrote:
Okay, one I figured posting links of any sort was forbidden until you had been a member for more than seven days, secondly no need to be condescending. Thirdly I could not destroy my modem even if I wanted too, since it's in a college building with tons of other computer software, I am on a college server.

But fine hold on here's the links:

Oh wait I can't and did what you said, but just in case you don't believe me... here

Quote :
New members are not allowed to post external links or emails for 7 days. Please contact the forum administrator for more information.

So I recommend searching these on google

Square Enix Suffers Massive Losses, CEO Resigns

Square Enix Notes “Weak” Sales for Console Hits

Otherwise next time before snarking, why not check, since snark without checking just shows you to be the clueless one.

But anyway if you must have links you will get them when I can post links without having to hack apart a URL.

First, I was completely unaware about that seven day waiting period. It's probably something to prevent spammers that has been implemented since I joined.

Second, I'm always condescending. It's a side effect of perfection. Excitedplz
Back to top Go down
Jay/Cris
The Word Police
The Word Police
Jay/Cris

PostSubject: Re: Square Enix CEO Resigns!   Square Enix CEO Resigns! EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 6:48 am

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:

That would make me very extremely perfect.

Nice.

Back to top Go down
http://www.crisiks.livejournal.com
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

PostSubject: Re: Square Enix CEO Resigns!   Square Enix CEO Resigns! EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 7:03 am

Rulke55 wrote:
no need to be condescending.
Don't mind him, he just gets really excited when he feels like he knows something other people don't.

Considering how many people have said something to the effect of "just joined, can't post links yet" just in the last couple of months, this isn't your proudest moment, Mikey.
Back to top Go down
Hot Cancer
Playwright
Playwright
Hot Cancer

PostSubject: Re: Square Enix CEO Resigns!   Square Enix CEO Resigns! EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 8:05 am

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
It's a side effect of perfection. Excitedplz

In my case, yes.

In your case, it's the side effect of recieving an elevated social status because people like Clopper have emerged to take over the bottom rung around here. You're still wrong about nearly everything and have the same mental faculties as a bucket of piss.
Back to top Go down
Disco Stu
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Disco Stu

PostSubject: Re: Square Enix CEO Resigns!   Square Enix CEO Resigns! EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 12:41 pm

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:

Social status on a really low-rung, tight-knit webforum: +1

Mikey doesn't know what to do, because it's like, he's not getting as much negative attention as he used to, and while he's mellowed out a LOT, it's actually kind of cute.

This clueless awkwardness is kind of cute.

Back to top Go down
Reepicheep-chan
Important Person
Important Person
Reepicheep-chan

PostSubject: Re: Square Enix CEO Resigns!   Square Enix CEO Resigns! EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 3:05 pm

He did pretty effectively make this thread all about him though, so he has that going for him.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Square Enix CEO Resigns!   Square Enix CEO Resigns! EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 7:10 pm

Jay/Cris wrote:
Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:

Nice.

There aren't degrees of perfect. It's like being pregnant, you either are or you aren't.

You aren't pregnant, are you? scratch

grmblfjx wrote:
Rulke55 wrote:
no need to be condescending.
Don't mind him, he just gets really excited when he feels like he knows something other people don't.

Considering how many people have said something to the effect of "just joined, can't post links yet" just in the last couple of months, this isn't your proudest moment, Mikey.

Who said that? Square Enix CEO Resigns! 203843

Hot Cancer wrote:
Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:

In my case, yes.

In your case, it's the side effect of recieving an elevated social status because people like Clopper have emerged to take over the bottom rung around here. You're still wrong about nearly everything and have the same mental faculties as a bucket of piss.

Please, I've never been on the bottom rung. There has always been someone like Harley or Chrissy or Skillet or Clopper. Those losers come and go, Mikey is forever. Cool

Reepicheep-chan wrote:
He did pretty effectively make this thread all about him though, so he has that going for him.

I didn't mean to, I swear.

By which I mean, I wasn't even trying, I'm just that cool. It's true, it's true.

PS: From now on, I'm going to be shoehorning in pro wrestling references into ever post.
Back to top Go down
TheIan
TheIan

PostSubject: Re: Square Enix CEO Resigns!   Square Enix CEO Resigns! EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 8:36 pm

Wow. It's finally happened.
Mikey's more full of shit than Knorg's outhouse.
Back to top Go down
Jay/Cris
The Word Police
The Word Police
Jay/Cris

PostSubject: Re: Square Enix CEO Resigns!   Square Enix CEO Resigns! EmptySun Mar 31, 2013 4:55 am

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Jay/Cris wrote:
Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:

Nice.

There aren't degrees of perfect. It's like being pregnant, you either are or you aren't.

It's the 21th century. Of course there a degrees of perfection, just as much as you can be a little bit pregnant. Like, you're only a little bit pregnant if you just bought the morning after pill.
Back to top Go down
http://www.crisiks.livejournal.com
Aggie
Aggie

PostSubject: Re: Square Enix CEO Resigns!   Square Enix CEO Resigns! EmptySun Mar 31, 2013 6:10 am

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:

PS: From now on, I'm going to be shoehorning in pro wrestling references into ever post.

The ramipercussions of that could be quite dire.
Back to top Go down
ZOOLANDER
ZOOLANDER

PostSubject: Re: Square Enix CEO Resigns!   Square Enix CEO Resigns! EmptySun Mar 31, 2013 6:54 am

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:

Second, I'm always condescending. It's a side effect of perfection.

Oh, get your hand off your dick. If Chris91 (who is in his fucking forties, as I discovered a few days ago) can't shape up, you never will. Cool

Hot Cancer wrote:
Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:

In my case, yes.

Bitch, please. I was never bottom rung.

TheIan wrote:
Wow. It's finally happened.
Mikey's more full of shit than Knorg's outhouse.

We don't always see eye to eye, Ian, but when we do it's a beautiful thing.
Back to top Go down
Hot Cancer
Playwright
Playwright
Hot Cancer

PostSubject: Re: Square Enix CEO Resigns!   Square Enix CEO Resigns! EmptySun Mar 31, 2013 2:46 pm

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Please, I've never been on the bottom rung.

Clopper wrote:

Keep telling yourselves that.
Back to top Go down
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

PostSubject: Re: Square Enix CEO Resigns!   Square Enix CEO Resigns! EmptySun Mar 31, 2013 3:01 pm

No, I actually agree with Mikey. He may be the eternal class clown, but he's not bottom rung. There's always been someone like Clopper to take that place.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Square Enix CEO Resigns!   Square Enix CEO Resigns! EmptySun Mar 31, 2013 5:33 pm

Jay/Cris wrote:
Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Jay/Cris wrote:
Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:

Nice.

It's the 21th century. Of course there a degrees of perfection, just as much as you can be a little bit pregnant. Like, you're only a little bit pregnant if you just bought the morning after pill.

But seriously, you aren't pregnant, right? One of you is plenty and I'd hate for you to lose the monopoly on this whole "snarky homosexual" thing that you do.

Aggie wrote:
Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:

The ramipercussions of that could be quite dire.

Did you just make a Santino Marella reference?

Nice. Cool

xerrofoot wrote:
Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:

Second, I'm always condescending. It's a side effect of perfection.

Oh, get your hand off your dick. If Chris91 (who is in his fucking forties, as I discovered a few days ago) can't shape up, you never will. Cool

I don't follow your logic here. It's probably because I'm not autistic, and you are very autistic.

grmblfjx wrote:

No, I actually agree with Mikey. He may be the eternal class clown, but he's not bottom rung. There's always been someone like Clopper to take that place.

It's clear that you love me, but alas, we can never be together because I don't date Europeans.

On an unrelated note, it seems beggars can be choosers.
Back to top Go down
Rulke55

PostSubject: Re: Square Enix CEO Resigns!   Square Enix CEO Resigns! EmptySun Mar 31, 2013 5:37 pm

Um so rather than forum politics could we instead get back to the point at hand. Square Enix have got to shape-up or ship-out really at least with their RPGs which seem more like they focus more on graphics than stories.

Now here's a query are better graphics killing Square Enix ability to make good compelling stories in RPGs?
Back to top Go down
TheIan
TheIan

PostSubject: Re: Square Enix CEO Resigns!   Square Enix CEO Resigns! EmptySun Mar 31, 2013 6:15 pm

Rulke55 wrote:
Um so rather than forum politics could we instead get back to the point at hand. Square Enix have got to shape-up or ship-out really at least with their RPGs which seem more like they focus more on graphics than stories.

Now here's a query are better graphics killing Square Enix ability to make good compelling stories in RPGs?
Graphics =/= good games necessarily.

Arguably, Sonic '06's cinematics are pretty, but the whole of the game was unfinished glitchy garbage so broken the higher-ups at Sega had to have been smoking some strong shit to greenlight the fucker in the first place.

I will agree that Bioshock Infinite is a pretty game, and I've heard-tell it's received nothing short of praise. I myself would honestly like to play it (and its previous games at some point).

If the game's story fall short, it's the fault of the story, not the graphics. Your game could have this great, well-done atmosphere (I.E. Dead Space 1, Shadow of the Colossus, Amensia: Dark Descent, etc, etc, etc) but if the story sucks, (Like Final Fantasy XIII, hoo-boy is that a clusterfuck!) then it's not the fault of the graphics, it's the fault of the story. The graphics are only a means to convey the storytelling.
Back to top Go down
rae
Contributor
Contributor
rae

PostSubject: Re: Square Enix CEO Resigns!   Square Enix CEO Resigns! EmptySun Mar 31, 2013 6:16 pm

Rulke55 wrote:
Um so rather than forum politics could we instead get back to the point at hand.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Get used to it. This is what we do.
Back to top Go down
Wolf

Wolf

PostSubject: Re: Square Enix CEO Resigns!   Square Enix CEO Resigns! EmptySun Mar 31, 2013 10:06 pm

xerrofoot wrote:
Technically correct. You can't be called bottom rung, but in your case it's because you fell off the bottom of the ladder entirely.

Rulke55 wrote:
Um so rather than forum politics could we instead get back to the point at hand.
I see you're new around here. Hi.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wolvesmark.blogspot.com/
Sparrow
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Sparrow

PostSubject: Re: Square Enix CEO Resigns!   Square Enix CEO Resigns! EmptySun Mar 31, 2013 10:17 pm

Rulke55 wrote:

As rae pointed out, forum politics are sort of the bread and butter of this place, though you're always welcome to try to change things.

I'm not too sure what you mean by your question - do you mean that Square Enix has neglected storytelling in favor of making games look prettier? If so, are you implying this is being done intentionally or that they are unwittingly improperly allocating resources when crafting the games? In other words, do you think the developers are simply saying "NEED MOAR PRETTEH. PLOT COME LATER?" and then going from there or do you think they're simply running out of budget by the time it comes to pay the writers?

If you are trying to either argue that pretty graphics = shit story or that pretty story = pretty graphics, either equation is wrong. Ian pointed it out - graphics are simply one of the means for conveying storytelling. But you also need writing. music, etc (because if the score doesn't match up, that causes its own problems). Square Enix's games have gotten prettier, indeed, but I'm not so sure I'd blame the graphics directly - the allocation of resources concerning the graphics, sure. But not the end product of those resources, if that makes sense.
Back to top Go down
http://sparrow779.livejournal.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Square Enix CEO Resigns!   Square Enix CEO Resigns! Empty

Back to top Go down

Square Enix CEO Resigns!
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next