Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

5.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Washington, United States East Coast

Go down 
+18
Somath Cegem
Trioculus
WD40
Verandering
Eeveegou
Penguin
Cactus Wren
Jesus.
Quijotesca
Mikey Go WOOGA
bleachedblackcat
Lady Anne
Braigwen
Lapin
Jay/Cris
Drabbler
Miss Misery
Owlish
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Owlish
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Owlish

5.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Washington, United States East Coast Empty
PostSubject: 5.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Washington, United States East Coast   5.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Washington, United States East Coast EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 12:25 pm

HOSHIT guys I just felt an earthquake! I'm all the way up here in freakin' Connecticut and my house shook. Hope all of you in affected areas are ok. So far there doesn't appear to be any significant damage....

Quote :
Reports are coming in that an earthquake just hit Washington, New York, Philadelphia, Boston and Cleveland. The U.S. Geological Survey said an earthquake of a 5.8 magnitude hit Virginia near the town of Mineral.

In Washington, people spilled out onto the streets and reports came in that the earthquake was strong enough in Virginia to break glass and shake products off store shelves.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Quote :
(CBS/AP)

WASHINGTON - A 5.9 magnitude earthquake centered northwest of Richmond, Va., shook much of Washington, D.C., and was felt as far north as Rhode Island and New York City.

The quake sent hundreds of people spilling into the street a block from the White House, with other buildings evacuated in North Carolina and tremors felt as far away as New York City.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the earthquake was 3.7 miles deep. Shaking was felt at the White House and all over the East Coast, as far south as Chapel Hill, N.C. Parts of the Pentagon, White House and Capitol were evacuated. The quake was in Mineral, Va., in Louisa County.

The Pentagon was later deemed safe for reoccupation.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Miss Misery
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Miss Misery

PostSubject: Re: 5.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Washington, United States East Coast   5.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Washington, United States East Coast EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 12:45 pm

I work in downtown DC and the earthquake shook the building, scaring the everloving shit out of everyone. Thankfully no damages or injuries that I could see.
Back to top Go down
Drabbler
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Drabbler

PostSubject: Re: 5.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Washington, United States East Coast   5.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Washington, United States East Coast EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 12:55 pm

I was sitting on the couch using the computer. I thought it was either a truck going by or one of my neighbors doing something. And then a few seconds later, it was over.
Back to top Go down
Owlish
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Owlish

PostSubject: Re: 5.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Washington, United States East Coast   5.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Washington, United States East Coast EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 1:50 pm

Miss Misery wrote:
I work in downtown DC and the earthquake shook the building, scaring the everloving shit out of everyone. Thankfully no damages or injuries that I could see.

Hope you and coworkers are ok! Are things returning to normal down there?
Back to top Go down
Miss Misery
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Miss Misery

PostSubject: Re: 5.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Washington, United States East Coast   5.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Washington, United States East Coast EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 1:53 pm

Owlish wrote:
Miss Misery wrote:

Hope you and coworkers are ok! Are things returning to normal down there?

Yeah, everything is fine. The building was evacuated for a while, but now we're back inside and back to work! LOL
Back to top Go down
Jay/Cris
The Word Police
The Word Police
Jay/Cris

PostSubject: Re: 5.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Washington, United States East Coast   5.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Washington, United States East Coast EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 1:58 pm

So... an earthquake hits the US and nobody dies?

Why, God, why!?
Back to top Go down
http://www.crisiks.livejournal.com
Lapin
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Lapin

PostSubject: Re: 5.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Washington, United States East Coast   5.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Washington, United States East Coast EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 2:19 pm

Haha asshole. I'm fine too. I was in my lab and we started shaking. At first I was like "Construction?", but then this Marine in the class goes "It's an earthquake, all of you evacuate, now!" They pretty much took over the whole situation and got everyone out and situated. Even did a headcount.

Even the prof was listening to them.

We sat outside for a bit, then were all sent home. The animals were pretty freaked out when I got home.

Services are all up for me, obviously, but there have been gas leaks and structural damage. FAUX News caused a bit of a ruckus on Twitter when they tried to start the rumor that the monument was leaning. The National Cathedral has suffered some damage, I don't know how much, but it seemed to be cosmetic, from the description. The zoo is fine too, though the animals were a little shook up. I know of one reported death.

This was my first earthquake, so I was a little anxious, but everything seems to be recovering okay. Hope everyone is okay, but I was actually popping to make sure Miss Misery was okay, since I know me and her are in the same area.
Back to top Go down
Miss Misery
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Miss Misery

PostSubject: Re: 5.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Washington, United States East Coast   5.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Washington, United States East Coast EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 2:25 pm

Lapin wrote:
but I was actually popping to make sure Miss Misery was okay, since I know me and her are in the same area.

Aaawww....thanks. *blush* Just fine and dandy over here. I'm glad to you're okay too. Smile
Back to top Go down
Lapin
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Lapin

PostSubject: Re: 5.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Washington, United States East Coast   5.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Washington, United States East Coast EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 3:37 pm

Miss Misery wrote:
Lapin wrote:
but I was actually popping to make sure Miss Misery was okay, since I know me and her are in the same area.

Aaawww....thanks. *blush* Just fine and dandy over here. I'm glad to you're okay too. Smile

Yeah, you were a bit closer, weren't you? The epicenter was apparently in the very center of Virginia. D.C. seems pretty worried about all the buildings, but I haven't heard about anything being damaged beyond repair.
Back to top Go down
Braigwen
Why yes, I am a Rocket Scientist!
Why yes, I am a Rocket Scientist!
Braigwen

PostSubject: Re: 5.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Washington, United States East Coast   5.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Washington, United States East Coast EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 3:50 pm

Apparently, two reactors at the North AnnaGenerating Station were taken offline because of the earthquake.

Here's hoping it was all just because of rattled nerves.

Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: 5.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Washington, United States East Coast   5.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Washington, United States East Coast EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 6:29 pm

I guess an earthquake on the east coast is scary, since it doesn't happen very often. Here in California, most of us just go, "Whatever," and keep on doing whatever we were doing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Owlish
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Owlish

PostSubject: Re: 5.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Washington, United States East Coast   5.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Washington, United States East Coast EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 6:40 pm

Jay/Cris wrote:
So... an earthquake hits the US and nobody dies?

Why, God, why!?

Hey, we had a decently-sized earthquake practically on Capitol Hill, and it couldn't take out a single one of those batshit Tea Bagger blowhards? At least put a temporary hold on their scheming to kill off the poor and elderly once and for all.

You can't tell me none of you thought about karmic (or divine, whatever) retribution. Come on. Colbert
Back to top Go down
Lapin
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Lapin

PostSubject: Re: 5.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Washington, United States East Coast   5.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Washington, United States East Coast EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 6:46 pm

No, I thought about the historical buildings that could suffer damage and the Metro riders being in danger.

D.C. has weathered worse than the Tea Party, and it will continue to weather worse. It's a tough city.
Back to top Go down
bleachedblackcat
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
bleachedblackcat

PostSubject: Re: 5.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Washington, United States East Coast   5.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Washington, United States East Coast EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 8:24 pm

Lady Anne wrote:
I guess an earthquake on the east coast is scary, since it doesn't happen very often. Here in California, most of us just go, "Whatever," and keep on doing whatever we were doing.

Hahaha both my grandparents live in California and are going "God people back East are wusses!" We had a large one while I was living with them, no one even went outside because it wasn't big enough for us.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: 5.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Washington, United States East Coast   5.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Washington, United States East Coast EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 8:46 pm

Insignificant earthquake causes tremors vastly inferior to a Cannon Fart, idiot East Coasters lose their shit. News at 11.

No, seriously, if it isn't at LEAST 6.5, don't even bring it up. It's like a goddamn stiff breeze.
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: 5.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Washington, United States East Coast   5.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Washington, United States East Coast EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 9:44 pm

bleachedblackcat wrote:
Lady Anne wrote:

Hahaha both my grandparents live in California and are going "God people back East are wusses!" We had a large one while I was living with them, no one even went outside because it wasn't big enough for us.
I was just reading about how the land east of the Rockies has a different composition than that of the far west, and this is why an east coast earthquake shakes so much harder than one of the same magnitude on the west coast.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Lapin
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Lapin

PostSubject: Re: 5.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Washington, United States East Coast   5.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Washington, United States East Coast EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 10:01 pm

bleachedblackcat wrote:
Lady Anne wrote:

We get hurricanes, not fucking earthquakes. Y'all handle all the fire, we get all the water. That was the deal damn it. They want to trade off? They can take the whole hurricane season.
Back to top Go down
Quijotesca
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Quijotesca

PostSubject: Re: 5.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Washington, United States East Coast   5.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Washington, United States East Coast EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 10:23 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: 5.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Washington, United States East Coast   5.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Washington, United States East Coast EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 10:41 pm

^
I love you I love you I love you

Post Count +1
Back to top Go down
Jesus.
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Jesus.

PostSubject: Re: 5.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Washington, United States East Coast   5.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Washington, United States East Coast EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 11:44 pm

I definitely felt it. The floor shook and everything swayed. I was confused, like I thought my neighbors upstairs were moving crap, but then I remembered that every once i a while, NYC gets mini earthquakes. So it was whatever.

But in the city, people were evacuating because NYC doesn't usually get earthquakes, so when the buildings start to shake, people tend to think bombs or something. Thing is, some people felt it and some people don't. Only one of my coworkers felt it out of the 5 that were there and they were all making fun of her until they started evacuating the other stores. She was like IM NOT HIGH GUYS SERIOUSLY

Back to top Go down
Cactus Wren
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Cactus Wren

PostSubject: Re: 5.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Washington, United States East Coast   5.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Washington, United States East Coast EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 12:17 am

Best comment so far, from Twitter via Time.com:

"There was just a 5.8 earthquake in Washington. Obama wanted it to be 3.4, but the Republicans wanted 5.8, so he compromised."
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: 5.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Washington, United States East Coast   5.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Washington, United States East Coast EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 1:39 am

Yeah uh

Running for the exits in an earthquake is seriously dumb. Also, lmfao @ quojthingy's post.
Back to top Go down
Eeveegou
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Eeveegou

PostSubject: Re: 5.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Washington, United States East Coast   5.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Washington, United States East Coast EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 9:28 am

[quote="Quijotesca"][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/quote

This should have just ended the conversation. You fucking got me man, I actually snickered aloud and there was nobody else in the room. Stay classy, bro.
Back to top Go down
http://eeveegou.deviantart.com
Verandering
The Gender Offender
The Gender Offender
Verandering

PostSubject: Re: 5.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Washington, United States East Coast   5.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Washington, United States East Coast EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 10:17 am

Quijotesca wrote:
[ image ]

I lol'd.
Back to top Go down
Lapin
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Lapin

PostSubject: Re: 5.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Washington, United States East Coast   5.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Washington, United States East Coast EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 10:43 am

Verandering wrote:
Quijotesca wrote:
[ image ]

I lol'd.

I'm still giggling.

Everyone seems to have completely forgotten now, at least. Ah, D.C. Such a short-term memory. Besides, no natural disaster in our recent memory will ever top Snowmageddon.

Last edited by Lapin on Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 5.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Washington, United States East Coast   5.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Washington, United States East Coast Empty

Back to top Go down

5.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Washington, United States East Coast
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next