Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

6.3 Earthquake kills more than 200 in ChristChurch, New Zealand

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Braigwen
Why yes, I am a Rocket Scientist!
Why yes, I am a Rocket Scientist!
Braigwen

6.3 Earthquake kills more than 200 in ChristChurch, New Zealand Empty
PostSubject: 6.3 Earthquake kills more than 200 in ChristChurch, New Zealand   6.3 Earthquake kills more than 200 in ChristChurch, New Zealand EmptyTue Feb 22, 2011 11:39 am

Latest here.

Quote :
One of New Zealand's largest cities lay in ruins Tuesday night after a powerful earthquake killed at least 65 people, toppled buildings and left scores trapped beneath chunks of concrete.
Hundreds of rescuers were headed to the scene to aid in the search for survivors, according to CNN affiliate TVNZ.

The quake was even strong enough to topple the huge stone cathedral that the city was built around.

Quote :
The 6.3-magnitude quake struck Christchurch during the lunchtime rush. Frantic rescuers scrambled to reach those trapped beneath the rubble hours after the earthquake hit. Dazed, bleeding residents wandered through streets strewn with debris and piles of concrete.

Quote :
A Japanese school said its students and teachers visiting the city were trapped under the rubble. Two students have been rescued so far and were receiving treatment, the school said. The trapped are communicating by mobile phone.
The 21 students and two teachers were eating lunch when the earthquake struck, said Sayaka Kawai, an employee at the Toyama Foreign Language School.

There are only seven students and one teacher accounted for. Japan is sending rescuers to aid New Zealand authorities stretched to the breaking point.

The New Zealand Red Cross and Salvation Army are taking donations to pay for rescue efforts and food and shelter. The Red Cross site has been having problems keeping up with the traffic but the Salvation Army link is up at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Rabid Badger
And This is Why I Need Medication
And This is Why I Need Medication
Rabid Badger

PostSubject: Re: 6.3 Earthquake kills more than 200 in ChristChurch, New Zealand   6.3 Earthquake kills more than 200 in ChristChurch, New Zealand EmptyTue Feb 22, 2011 7:49 pm

Apparently, 2011 is official 'Let's Kick the Crap Out of Austrlia and New Zealand' Year. As if the floods weren't bad enough.

I'm worried because a guy I met on Ebay when I bought some Dr. who stuff off him was leaving his home in Canada and moving to New Zealand, which is where his wife was born. I don't know whether they've left yet or not-I really hope they haven't. He was one of the best sellers I'd ever dealt with and just an all-around nice guy. He'd decided to retire, and had promised his wife they'd move back to her home when he did.

Wherever you are, Frank, I hope you and Aileen are safe.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: 6.3 Earthquake kills more than 200 in ChristChurch, New Zealand   6.3 Earthquake kills more than 200 in ChristChurch, New Zealand EmptyTue Feb 22, 2011 9:42 pm

This is what they get for not wearing pads.
Back to top Go down
karmyn31
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
karmyn31

PostSubject: Re: 6.3 Earthquake kills more than 200 in ChristChurch, New Zealand   6.3 Earthquake kills more than 200 in ChristChurch, New Zealand EmptyWed Feb 23, 2011 1:33 am

I got a message on Tumblr from Fuzzy's ex about the earthquake. But as far as I know he's in Aukland and that's on the other island. My uncle also has a friend in Aukland so whenever I hear about anything in New Zealand I worry about Jamie and Fuzzy.
This is awful. Earthquakes are pretty common there, but this is devestating. It seems to be located in one general area, though.
I hate this year.
Back to top Go down
Raine
Challenge Winner!
Challenge Winner!
Raine

PostSubject: Re: 6.3 Earthquake kills more than 200 in ChristChurch, New Zealand   6.3 Earthquake kills more than 200 in ChristChurch, New Zealand EmptyWed Feb 23, 2011 1:55 am

I haven't heard anything yet, but I know people from there and my church has a branch over there full of some of the nicest people I've ever met.

I hope so much nobody I know got caught up in this. It's already enough that I knew people who died in the floods.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 6.3 Earthquake kills more than 200 in ChristChurch, New Zealand   6.3 Earthquake kills more than 200 in ChristChurch, New Zealand Empty

Back to top Go down

6.3 Earthquake kills more than 200 in ChristChurch, New Zealand
Page 1 of 1