Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Shit Hits The Fan In Battle Against Vaccination Denialists

Go down 
+12
Chris91
TheHedonist
ViewSonic
Mr.Doobie
Lady Anne
Penguin
Cyberwulf
bleachedblackcat
Mikey Go WOOGA
Disco Stu
Reidmar
ZOOLANDER
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ZOOLANDER
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
ZOOLANDER

Shit Hits The Fan In Battle Against Vaccination Denialists Empty
PostSubject: Shit Hits The Fan In Battle Against Vaccination Denialists   Shit Hits The Fan In Battle Against Vaccination Denialists EmptySun May 26, 2013 5:05 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Quote :
THE family who lost their four-week-old daughter to whooping cough have revealed the insensitive harassment they have endured at the hands of the anti-vaccination campaigners.

Toni and David McCaffery have broken their silence on the four years of vilification they have endured since baby Dana died in March 2009.

The attacks against the family include anonymous letters, cyber-attacks and heartless, abusive messages telling them to "harden the f ... up".

They have been accused of lying about their daughter's death and being part of a conspiracy to force vaccinations on others.

The irony of this is most of the media have soundly ignored the whole problem until the New South Wales government finally got their shit together (thanks in no small part to the Daily Telegraph) and are passing a law to ban unvaccinated children from daycare centres.

Quote :
Australian Vaccination Network (AVN) founder Meryl Dorey even posted her own anti-vaccination information on Dana McCaffery's memorial website.

Ms Dorey also demanded medical reports from public health officials the day before the four-week-old baby's funeral on March 13, 2009.

When asked by The Sunday Telegraph to comment on these allegations, Ms Dorey declined, saying she would answer the questions on her own website.

Toni McCaffery said: "The lunacy and the venom directed at us has just been torture - it's been frightening, abhorrent and insensitive in the extreme."

Dorey has also been travelling around my state giving seminars, including one in my hometown which I tried to convince the club it was being held at to cancel on ethical grounds. Unfortunately they let it go ahead. Fortunately, the turnout at those seminars was quite low and most people who attended weren't convinced. The AVN has taken some legal hits, too: they're being ordered by the authorities to change the group's name because it misleads the public (an order which they're trying to fight), Dorey herself was recently denied a restraining order against her critics and new powers have been granted to the Health Care Complains Commission to give them the ability to combat vaccine denialist groups who spread misinformation.

Quote :
"Instead of Dana in our lives, we had this madness," Ms McCaffery said, adding she endured two miscarriages in the year following Dana's death at the height of the vilification.

"When someone disrespects your loved one, it hurts. But people mocking your child's death - it's just not human."

Try telling that to people who troll memorial pages on Facebook.

Last edited by xerrofoot on Sun May 26, 2013 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed typos)
Back to top Go down
Reidmar
Reidmar

Location : A string of Code in the Interwebz( IF living = true input ragequit)

PostSubject: Re: Shit Hits The Fan In Battle Against Vaccination Denialists   Shit Hits The Fan In Battle Against Vaccination Denialists EmptySun May 26, 2013 8:25 pm

xerrofoot wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Quit reading after I saw the website name.
Back to top Go down
Disco Stu
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Disco Stu

PostSubject: Re: Shit Hits The Fan In Battle Against Vaccination Denialists   Shit Hits The Fan In Battle Against Vaccination Denialists EmptySun May 26, 2013 10:00 pm

What the fuck is this site now, the Australian Weekly World News?

Fucking, ew
Back to top Go down
ZOOLANDER
ZOOLANDER

PostSubject: Re: Shit Hits The Fan In Battle Against Vaccination Denialists   Shit Hits The Fan In Battle Against Vaccination Denialists EmptySun May 26, 2013 11:03 pm

The world doesn't bloody revolve around the USA, you arrogant Yank.
Back to top Go down
Reidmar
Reidmar

PostSubject: Re: Shit Hits The Fan In Battle Against Vaccination Denialists   Shit Hits The Fan In Battle Against Vaccination Denialists EmptyMon May 27, 2013 7:59 am

xerrofoot wrote:
Colbert Pot, meet kettle, kettle meet pot.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Shit Hits The Fan In Battle Against Vaccination Denialists   Shit Hits The Fan In Battle Against Vaccination Denialists EmptyMon May 27, 2013 9:58 am

xerrofoot wrote:

Yes it does.

Besides, unless Raine comes back, NO ONE here cares about the pissy little issues Australia is dealing with. The Americans don't give a shit, the Europeans don't give a shit, and the goddamn Canadians don't give a shit.
Back to top Go down
bleachedblackcat
bleachedblackcat

PostSubject: Re: Shit Hits The Fan In Battle Against Vaccination Denialists   Shit Hits The Fan In Battle Against Vaccination Denialists EmptyMon May 27, 2013 12:42 pm

Quote :
Dorey has also been travelling around my state giving seminars, including one in my hometown which I tried to convince the club it was being held at to cancel on ethical grounds.

Don't know how things work over there, but in America we have the whole freedom of speech thing. Which means that Nazis can give seminars on stuff as long as it's not on "LETS KILL EVERYONE!!!!111"
Back to top Go down
Disco Stu
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Disco Stu

PostSubject: Re: Shit Hits The Fan In Battle Against Vaccination Denialists   Shit Hits The Fan In Battle Against Vaccination Denialists EmptyMon May 27, 2013 2:30 pm

xerrofoot wrote:

What makes you think I'm an American, you wallaby
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: Shit Hits The Fan In Battle Against Vaccination Denialists   Shit Hits The Fan In Battle Against Vaccination Denialists EmptyMon May 27, 2013 3:11 pm

Follow some of the links in that article, like this one. Anti-vacc people are not only ignorant, they're callous pieces of shit. The worst part is that they're placing their own innocent children at risk.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Shit Hits The Fan In Battle Against Vaccination Denialists   Shit Hits The Fan In Battle Against Vaccination Denialists EmptyMon May 27, 2013 6:55 pm

Cyberwulf wrote:
Anti-vacc people are not only ignorant, they're callous pieces of shit. The worst part is that they're placing their own innocent other people's children at risk.

Colbert
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Shit Hits The Fan In Battle Against Vaccination Denialists   Shit Hits The Fan In Battle Against Vaccination Denialists EmptyMon May 27, 2013 9:08 pm

Cyberwulf wrote:
Follow some of the links in that article, like this one. Anti-vacc people are not only ignorant, they're callous pieces of shit. The worst part is that they're placing their own innocent children at risk.
Quite true. Young infants who get whooping cough have a high mortality rate. The vaccine isn't 100% effective (I got a whooping cough booster in 2011, then caught whooping cough in 2012), but if everyone gets the vaccine, it lowers the risk of transmission in people for whom it is ineffective by a lot (herd immunity). Whooping cough is highly contagious (by the time I was diagnosed, several students, the principal, and the guy who appraised the damage on my car after someone hit it in a parking lot were also sick). I'd been coughing for four weeks by the time I was diagnosed (the first doctor I saw said I had a cold, and I took her word for it, even though it didn't feel like a cold; the second one I saw said I had a cough--no shit; and the third one acceded to my demand to be tested for whooping cough after the district nurse listened to me cough, gag, and make strange noises and said I should be tested). By the time the test results came in, I was leaving for the winter break, three weeks long, and so there was no question about not allowing me to come to work--I was off anyway. I reported it to the district and my doctor reported it to the health department, but I was never asked to stay quarantined. Oddly enough, I felt fine except for the cough, so I went right on going to work for those four weeks--and so far as I know, the district has no policies on any diseases except pinkeye and tuberculosis (you can't come to work if you have either).
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Mr.Doobie

PostSubject: Re: Shit Hits The Fan In Battle Against Vaccination Denialists   Shit Hits The Fan In Battle Against Vaccination Denialists EmptyMon May 27, 2013 9:40 pm

Penguin wrote:
Cyberwulf wrote:
Anti-vacc people are not only ignorant, they're callous pieces of shit. The worst part is that they're placing their own innocent other people's children at risk.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Shit Hits The Fan In Battle Against Vaccination Denialists   Shit Hits The Fan In Battle Against Vaccination Denialists EmptyMon May 27, 2013 10:22 pm

Lady Anne wrote:
Cyberwulf wrote:

Quite true. Young infants who get whooping cough have a high mortality rate. The vaccine isn't 100% effective (I got a whooping cough booster in 2011, then caught whooping cough in 2012), but if everyone gets the vaccine, it lowers the risk of transmission in people for whom it is ineffective by a lot (herd immunity). Whooping cough is highly contagious (by the time I was diagnosed, several students, the principal, and the guy who appraised the damage on my car after someone hit it in a parking lot were also sick). I'd been coughing for four weeks by the time I was diagnosed (the first doctor I saw said I had a cold, and I took her word for it, even though it didn't feel like a cold; the second one I saw said I had a cough--no shit; and the third one acceded to my demand to be tested for whooping cough after the district nurse listened to me cough, gag, and make strange noises and said I should be tested). By the time the test results came in, I was leaving for the winter break, three weeks long, and so there was no question about not allowing me to come to work--I was off anyway. I reported it to the district and my doctor reported it to the health department, but I was never asked to stay quarantined. Oddly enough, I felt fine except for the cough, so I went right on going to work for those four weeks--and so far as I know, the district has no policies on any diseases except pinkeye and tuberculosis (you can't come to work if you have either).

First of all, thank you for explaining Cyberwulf's and Penny's points in the LONGEST fucking possible manner.

Secondly, a silly and off topic question: would antibiotics commonly prescribed for bronchitis, such as Azithromycin or Clarithromycin, also cure whooping cough?
Back to top Go down
ViewSonic
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
ViewSonic

PostSubject: Re: Shit Hits The Fan In Battle Against Vaccination Denialists   Shit Hits The Fan In Battle Against Vaccination Denialists EmptyTue May 28, 2013 7:31 am

I thought australians were supposed to be polite and efficient?
Back to top Go down
TheHedonist
TheHedonist

PostSubject: Re: Shit Hits The Fan In Battle Against Vaccination Denialists   Shit Hits The Fan In Battle Against Vaccination Denialists EmptyTue May 28, 2013 8:17 am

ViewSonic wrote:
That's Canadians you're thinking of.
Back to top Go down
Chris91
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Chris91

PostSubject: Re: Shit Hits The Fan In Battle Against Vaccination Denialists   Shit Hits The Fan In Battle Against Vaccination Denialists EmptyTue May 28, 2013 9:29 am

Reidmar wrote:
xerrofoot wrote:
Colbert Pot, meet kettle, kettle meet pot.

You took the words right out of my mouth, Reid. Yeah

Disco Stu wrote:
xerrofoot wrote:

What makes you think I'm an American, you wallaby

Probably the same mental deficiency that makes xerrobrains think it's OK to lust after underage girls and make rape jokes.

ViewSonic wrote:

Xerroballs would be a jerk no matter what his nationality was.
Back to top Go down
the asylum
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
the asylum

PostSubject: Re: Shit Hits The Fan In Battle Against Vaccination Denialists   Shit Hits The Fan In Battle Against Vaccination Denialists EmptyTue May 28, 2013 11:25 am

TheHedonist wrote:
ViewSonic wrote:

Well that's us too, except we dont throw jars of piss at people. I wonder how many people will know what we're talking about
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Shit Hits The Fan In Battle Against Vaccination Denialists   Shit Hits The Fan In Battle Against Vaccination Denialists EmptyTue May 28, 2013 1:12 pm

the asylum wrote:
TheHedonist wrote:
ViewSonic wrote:

Well that's us too, except we dont throw jars of piss at people. I wonder how many people will know what we're talking about

I do.

And Canadians aren't efficient. Colbert
Back to top Go down
Jay/Cris
The Word Police
The Word Police
Jay/Cris

PostSubject: Re: Shit Hits The Fan In Battle Against Vaccination Denialists   Shit Hits The Fan In Battle Against Vaccination Denialists EmptyTue May 28, 2013 1:30 pm

ViewSonic wrote:

Jesus Christ, that is a long and ugly signature. Play with your font sizes and text alignments or something.

Also, if you have short posts, it helps if you space out the sentences.
Back to top Go down
http://www.crisiks.livejournal.com
ViewSonic
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
ViewSonic

PostSubject: Re: Shit Hits The Fan In Battle Against Vaccination Denialists   Shit Hits The Fan In Battle Against Vaccination Denialists EmptyTue May 28, 2013 1:37 pm

I'M NOT A CRAZED GUNMAN, DAD.

Also, thanks for the advice. I am still a n00b here.
Back to top Go down
Disco Stu
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Disco Stu

PostSubject: Re: Shit Hits The Fan In Battle Against Vaccination Denialists   Shit Hits The Fan In Battle Against Vaccination Denialists EmptyTue May 28, 2013 2:30 pm

Gawd. I hate this new mobile version of this forum. I was scrolling up. Realized I had been quoted. Got excited. Felt a tiny connection. It was Chris91.

Felt my excitement shrink to nothing.

And felt bad to admit it. Not because Chris is a bad poster- I could care less, that man has a heart of gold

I just confused him for someone else and got nostalgic :')

Can't put a finger on who, however...
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Shit Hits The Fan In Battle Against Vaccination Denialists   Shit Hits The Fan In Battle Against Vaccination Denialists EmptyTue May 28, 2013 7:22 pm

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Secondly, a silly and off topic question: would antibiotics commonly prescribed for bronchitis, such as Azithromycin or Clarithromycin, also cure whooping cough?
Sad to say, no. Whooping cough is just something you have to live with until it resolves itself.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Reidmar
Reidmar

PostSubject: Re: Shit Hits The Fan In Battle Against Vaccination Denialists   Shit Hits The Fan In Battle Against Vaccination Denialists EmptyTue May 28, 2013 8:43 pm

Disco Stu wrote:
Gawd. I hate this new mobile version of this forum. I was scrolling up. Realized I had been quoted. Got excited. Felt a tiny connection. It was Chris91.
Felt my excitement shrink to nothing.

Fucking lol'd, I have no idea why this is so funny, damnit Stu.
Back to top Go down
ViewSonic
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
ViewSonic

PostSubject: Re: Shit Hits The Fan In Battle Against Vaccination Denialists   Shit Hits The Fan In Battle Against Vaccination Denialists EmptyWed May 29, 2013 4:56 pm

Wait...there's a xerrofoot AND a xerrobrains? Holy hell.
Back to top Go down
ZOOLANDER
ZOOLANDER

PostSubject: Re: Shit Hits The Fan In Battle Against Vaccination Denialists   Shit Hits The Fan In Battle Against Vaccination Denialists EmptyWed May 29, 2013 5:11 pm

Xerrofoot is my user name, xerrobrains is what Chris likes to call me. (Before that he was calling me "Snotty McAsshole".) Doesn't matter either way, I have him on ignore.

Also, yeah, Canadians are the polite ones. We're the overly-casual but friendly ones.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shit Hits The Fan In Battle Against Vaccination Denialists   Shit Hits The Fan In Battle Against Vaccination Denialists Empty

Back to top Go down

Shit Hits The Fan In Battle Against Vaccination Denialists
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next