Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.

Go down 
+27
Anon
Miss Prince
Seule
Sutremaine
myeerah
lemmingwriter
TheHedonist
Verandering
Mafiosa
Just Chipper
Salamas
Ezri Dax
Delcat
Mikey Go WOOGA
Braigwen
Lady Anne
Keith Fraser
Malganis
The Unoriginal
InkWeaver
Penguin
Dick Powers
Jesus.
Cyberwulf
Lapin
Maximilia
Majin Gojira
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
lemmingwriter
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.   Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 9:48 pm

Malganis wrote:
Anon wrote:
Either way, given that Orange county is prone to water shortages and there are other ways to maintain a nice environment, the city ordinance in question is a stupid law. Yes some laws for this purpose are necessary, but they should also be drawn up using a degree of common sense, which doesn't appear to have happened here.

The problems aren't all related to water usage either. Yes, the fact that Orange county has laws under which a grass lawn maintained using large amounts of water is fine, despite its problems with water shortages, means that the law in question isn't doing its job properly. The bit where that eyesore they currently have would also be fine if they could provide proper documentation showing that 40% of it was covered with plant life is another failing of that particular law.

If what Anon says is true about water shortages in Orange county... this. It just smells of stupid bureaucratic shit to me.

Lady Anne does have a good suggestion about cacti, though. Since they're not an imported species living unnaturally in an environment they were never intended to live in without human assistance, anyway.

We are considered to be under drought conditions (at least, we were before the winter started) here. I'm not far from the city in question, and IIRC, the city ended up dropping the whole damn thing.

I think that yes, property values should be considered. We used to live in a neighborhood where this one family had no grass, just scattered patches of weeds and debris. Enough people complained to the city, so Code Enforcement did something about it. I believe they cited them.

But there should be common sense to it. If the replacement is both unoffensive from a curb appeal standpoint and efficient in terms of water and upkeep, then it should be okay. I'm with Lady Anne--plant stuff that's native and drought-tolerant. Or landscape 40% of it with plants, and the other 60% with some of that synthetic turf; the 40% keeps the city happy, and the 60% saves water.

And if the city wants documentation, give it to them. Period. Give the system what they want, shut 'em up, and go on your merry way. Why make things so damn hard?
Back to top Go down
The Alien from Uranus
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
The Alien from Uranus

Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.   Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 5:46 pm

ITT: All the reasons I enjoy living in the boondocks.

Really, though. I can understand having laws that dictate a minimal level of appearance and cleanliness if you're living in a place owned by someone else, a gated community, or a government-run housing complex. The best thing to do is to READ THE DAMN RULES before you move in. If they have regulations you don't agree with, don't sign the contract and look elsewhere.

For instance, other laws regarding what you can and cannot do in your own home: Pet owners are not allowed to keep more than four animals (excluding fish tanks; number may vary). Many people break this law without anyone giving a shit, but it's still a law, and you CAN be fined if someone reports it. In city limits, you also cannot mass burn things, have a fun afternoon of target practice in your backyard, or let your dogs run loose outside your house. These laws exist because there are other people that live in close proximity to you that could be hurt from your dumb shit.

These are laws common in most cities in the United States. If you do not LIKE these laws, move out of the city limits.

Lady Anne wrote:
They could cover 40% of it in cacti. They seldom need watering, they make pretty flowers in the spring (and sometimes other
times of year), and, if planted strategically, make potential burglars and stalkers think twice about hiding near the house.
OMG, YES. They could make a really nice landscape with pretty rocks and cacti.
Back to top Go down
Dee

Dee

PostSubject: Re: Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.   Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 5:06 am

Am I the only one who thought of the X-Files episode where Mulder and Scully go to this Utopian neighborhood in California to investigate the disappearance of a home owner? Turns out they were murdered by the garbage monster for not complying with the ordinance.

I think the Orange city government is on to something. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.   Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4