Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.

Go down 
+27
Anon
Miss Prince
Seule
Sutremaine
myeerah
lemmingwriter
TheHedonist
Verandering
Mafiosa
Just Chipper
Salamas
Ezri Dax
Delcat
Mikey Go WOOGA
Braigwen
Lady Anne
Keith Fraser
Malganis
The Unoriginal
InkWeaver
Penguin
Dick Powers
Jesus.
Cyberwulf
Lapin
Maximilia
Majin Gojira
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Miss Prince
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Miss Prince

Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.   Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 10:43 am

in b4 "the UK isn't racist like those Americans"

I realize that the UK's experiences with suburbs and racism are different from the US's, but I can just see this whole thing toppling off a cliff into "whose country is the most racist" wank like that Australian blackface thing.
Back to top Go down
Anon
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Anon

Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.   Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 11:11 am

Cyberwulf wrote:
Ezri Dax wrote:
Quote :
This isn't something draconian and unworkable. 40% of the garden has to be covered with living plants. This couple had two years to do that and they either didn't do it or didn't submit the proper documents proving they'd done it.

This still doesn't change the fact that this law is unnecessary
It isn't unnecessary.

Quote :
I'd bet a ludicrous amount of taxpayers money has been spent on prosecuting this poor couple
Who were given two years to comply with the rules and didn't bother.

Quote :
If I was in their shoes I'd be fighting this law.
Because you're a fucking dumbass.

Penguin wrote:
HEY

I'M A STUPID FUCKHEAD WHO THINKS THIS IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RACISM

BRB HUFFING AIRPLANE FUEL AND THEN LIGHTING MATCHES

Ezri Dax wrote:
That said, a dead tree with meat hung on it isn't exactly what I'd call a nice garden...
In your ideal world, there'd be plenty of things you wouldn't call "a nice garden". And you'd get to deal with all the vermin, stink, and general nastiness with absolutely no recourse.
Cyberwulf, let me introduce you to a concept called planning permission. It is generally enough to maintain a nice neighbourhood and ensure that the neighbours rights to "not have a fucking eyesore across the road from them" are respected, without needing to tell them how much of their front garden should be covered in grass. The city ordinance may not be "unnecessary" but it is excessive and overly controlling.
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.   Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 12:43 pm

I think property values need to be lowered. Then housing would be more affordable and there'd be fewer homeless people.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Mafiosa
You crack me up, little buddy!

PostSubject: Re: Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.   Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 12:45 pm

I don't think we should live in houses anymore PROBLEM SOLVED
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.   Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 12:51 pm

Anon wrote:
Cyberwulf, let me introduce you to a concept called planning permission.
OH MY GOD I NEVER KNEW THAT IT'S NOT LIKE I MENTIONED EARLIER THAT I WORK WITH PLANNERS, YOU KNOW, FOR THE LOCAL AUTHORITY AND EVERYTHING AND EVEN CITED REGULATIONS HERE RELATED TO WHAT COLOUR ROOFTILES AND TYPE OF MASONRY ARE ACCEPTABLE IN RURAL HOUSING

MOMMY I DON'T WANNA READ IT'S THE WEEKEND

GOD GAVE ME EYES BUT I DON'T USE THEM BECAUSE IT RUNS THE BATTERY DOWN
Back to top Go down
Ezri Dax
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Ezri Dax

PostSubject: Re: Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.   Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 1:35 pm

Cyberwulf wrote:
Anon wrote:
OH MY GOD I NEVER KNEW THAT IT'S NOT LIKE I MENTIONED EARLIER THAT I WORK WITH PLANNERS, YOU KNOW, FOR THE LOCAL AUTHORITY AND EVERYTHING AND EVEN CITED REGULATIONS HERE RELATED TO WHAT COLOUR ROOFTILES AND TYPE OF MASONRY ARE ACCEPTABLE IN RURAL HOUSING

Obvious troll is obvious.
Back to top Go down
Miss Prince
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Miss Prince

PostSubject: Re: Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.   Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 1:56 pm

Lady Anne wrote:
I think property values need to be lowered.
Welcome to the housing market crash.

Lady Anne wrote:
Then housing would be more affordable and there'd be fewer homeless people.
Welp, that didn't go as expected.
Back to top Go down
Jesus.
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Jesus.

PostSubject: Re: Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.   Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 1:58 pm

Ezri Dax wrote:

Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 3 961878
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.   Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 4:45 pm

Ezri Dax wrote:
Cyberwulf wrote:
Anon wrote:

Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black?
Back to top Go down
Ezri Dax
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Ezri Dax

PostSubject: Re: Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.   Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 5:06 pm

Lady Anne wrote:
Ezri Dax wrote:
Cyberwulf wrote:
Anon wrote:

Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black?

Maybe, but at least when I troll I do so with style, and usually without resorting to ranting in CAPSLOCK. [/unintentional thread hijack]

Back on topic; people should be allowed to have their own garden however they like it without having draconian and unnecessary laws dictate to them.
Back to top Go down
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

PostSubject: Re: Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.   Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 5:15 pm

Ezri Dax wrote:
at least when I troll I do so with style, and usually without resorting to ranting in CAPSLOCK. [/unintentional thread hijack]

Back on topic; people should be allowed to have their own garden however they like it without having draconian and unnecessary laws dictate to them.

Ok, point 1: Cyberwulf wasn't trolling. She was actually making a point. You may have noticed she often makes points via hyperbole and allcaps.

Point 2: You said it wasn't actually trolling, but the truth. In any case, I'd really, really hoped you wouldn't give us the ol' I KNOW HOW ITS DONE LOOKIT MEE I'M SO GOOOOD shit again.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.   Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 7:56 pm

I can't believe Cyberwulf is a big enough hypocrite to call people classists because they don't want the amount of salt in foods regulated, but will support blatant classism like this.

Oh wait, I totally can believe it.

I don't know how it is in Ireland, but in America, we have property rights. If you aren't doing physical harm to someone else, you can do pretty much whatever you want with it. If you don't like it, I'm going to tell you the same thing you say about people who whine about fatties, turn your head so you don't have to look at it.

Oh, and stop being a cunt. Colbert
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.   Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 9:32 pm

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
I can't believe Cyberwulf is a big enough hypocrite to call people classists because they don't want the amount of salt in foods regulated, but will support blatant classism like this.

Oh wait, I totally can believe it.

I don't know how it is in Ireland, but in America, we have property rights. If you aren't doing physical harm to someone else, you can do pretty much whatever you want with it. If you don't like it, I'm going to tell you the same thing you say about people who whine about fatties, turn your head so you don't have to look at it.

Oh, and stop being a cunt. Colbert
This thread continues to astound me. Now I agree with Mikey. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.   Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 10:31 pm

I don't know why everyone is surprised when they agree with me. I get the "I can't believe I agree with Mikey [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] " line every month or two. Colbert
Back to top Go down
Psy-4
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction

PostSubject: Re: Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.   Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 11:22 pm

Even a broken clock shows the right time twice a day.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.   Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 11:51 pm

My point is people are surprised it shows the correct time twice a day. Razz

Also, what if it's a twenty-four hour clock? Colbert
Back to top Go down
Psy-4

PostSubject: Re: Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.   Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 12:11 am

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Also, what if it's a twenty-four hour clock? Colbert
Then you need to go back to school and learn rudimentary math and logic. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Anon
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Anon

PostSubject: Re: Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.   Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 12:26 am

Cyberwulf wrote:
Anon wrote:

You didn't say you worked with planners. You said that where you came from authorities decided to control what colour roof tiles can be used when building houses. You never said anything about being on the local planning committees.

My point is that while some laws governing property development are necessary, the city ordinance in question goes above and beyond that. The development shown in that photograph wouldn't even have needed planning permission.
Back to top Go down
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

PostSubject: Re: Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.   Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 5:27 am

Anon wrote:
You didn't say you worked with planners.

Go back to page One, do not pass Go, do not collect $200, read her first post again.
Back to top Go down
Anon
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Anon

PostSubject: Re: Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.   Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 10:52 am

grmblfjx wrote:
Anon wrote:

Go back to page One, do not pass Go, do not collect $200, read her first post again.
*Reads it carefully.* Oh, yeah. She does make a remark on it at one point, towards the end of her post. Never mind. Some kind of laws for the protection of the local environment are necessary. The law under discussion isn't. If that development had been done in Cyberwulf's county, it wouldn't even have been brought to her attention as it wouldn't need planning permission. This was the point. You can't just claim that any random law that local authorities come up with for this purpose is automatically justified. A law requiring that 40% of your garden be covered with plant life, when you're located in the middle of a desert, is sheer stupidity regardless of what you were trying to achieve.

Last edited by Anon on Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mafiosa

PostSubject: Re: Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.   Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 6:32 pm

Maybe they should have just installed a fucking drip system instead of ripping up the lawn and making it look like ass for the next unfortunate who had to buy it.

e: also orange county isn't desert and that couple put down wood chips instead of grass do you even know what goes under the wood chips it's fucking sheets of plastic why didn't they just salt the earth and finish the job
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.   Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 8:27 pm

Anon wrote:
grmblfjx wrote:
Anon wrote:

*Reads it carefully.* Oh, yeah. She does make a remark on it at one point, towards the end of her post. Never mind. Some kind of laws for the protection of the local environment are necessary. The law under discussion isn't. If that development had been done in Cyberwulf's county, it wouldn't even have been brought to her attention as it wouldn't need planning permission. This was the point. You can't just claim that any random law that local authorities come up with for this purpose is automatically justified. A law requiring that 40% of your garden be covered with plant life, when you're located in the middle of a dessert, is sheer stupidity regardless of what you were trying to achieve.
If you're located in the middle of a dessert, you should cover 40% of it with chocolate.
Back to top Go down
Anon
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Anon

PostSubject: Re: Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.   Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 1:25 am

Mafiosa wrote:
Maybe they should have just installed a fucking drip system instead of ripping up the lawn and making it look like ass for the next unfortunate who had to buy it.

e: also orange county isn't desert and that couple put down wood chips instead of grass do you even know what goes under the wood chips it's fucking sheets of plastic why didn't they just salt the earth and finish the job
Sorry, my mistake. I assumed that it was because no one bothered to correct Majin Gojira when s/he said the same thing earlier on in the thread. Also, from the product descriptions of landscaping fabric, it doesn't have to be that bad.

Either way, given that Orange county is prone to water shortages and there are other ways to maintain a nice environment, the city ordinance in question is a stupid law. Yes some laws for this purpose are necessary, but they should also be drawn up using a degree of common sense, which doesn't appear to have happened here.

The problems aren't all related to water usage either. Yes, the fact that Orange county has laws under which a grass lawn maintained using large amounts of water is fine, despite its problems with water shortages, means that the law in question isn't doing its job properly. The bit where that eyesore they currently have would also be fine if they could provide proper documentation showing that 40% of it was covered with plant life is another failing of that particular law.

Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.   Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 6:37 am

They could cover 40% of it in cacti. They seldom need watering, they make pretty flowers in the spring (and sometimes other times of year), and, if planted strategically, make potential burglars and stalkers think twice about hiding near the house.
Back to top Go down
Malganis
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Malganis

PostSubject: Re: Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.   Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 9:08 am

Anon wrote:
Either way, given that Orange county is prone to water shortages and there are other ways to maintain a nice environment, the city ordinance in question is a stupid law. Yes some laws for this purpose are necessary, but they should also be drawn up using a degree of common sense, which doesn't appear to have happened here.

The problems aren't all related to water usage either. Yes, the fact that Orange county has laws under which a grass lawn maintained using large amounts of water is fine, despite its problems with water shortages, means that the law in question isn't doing its job properly. The bit where that eyesore they currently have would also be fine if they could provide proper documentation showing that 40% of it was covered with plant life is another failing of that particular law.

If what Anon says is true about water shortages in Orange county... this. It just smells of stupid bureaucratic shit to me.

Lady Anne does have a good suggestion about cacti, though. Since they're not an imported species living unnaturally in an environment they were never intended to live in without human assistance, anyway.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.   Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next