Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.

Go down 
+27
Anon
Miss Prince
Seule
Sutremaine
myeerah
lemmingwriter
TheHedonist
Verandering
Mafiosa
Just Chipper
Salamas
Ezri Dax
Delcat
Mikey Go WOOGA
Braigwen
Lady Anne
Keith Fraser
Malganis
The Unoriginal
InkWeaver
Penguin
Dick Powers
Jesus.
Cyberwulf
Lapin
Maximilia
Majin Gojira
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.   Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 6:13 pm

Most stupid laws have a good intention behind them, and occasionally even a valid concern. In this case: Property values. Well, you can't make minorities and ugly people stay out of your neighborhood, but you CAN make sure their houses don't look poor.

This sort of thing is why miniature pseudogovernments like homeowner's associations are a modern plague.
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.   Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 6:36 pm

Ezri Dax wrote:
I call it an infringement on peoples rights to have their garden how they want it.
Well tough fuck, because it isn't all about you. Your right to pour concrete all over your front lawn, stick a dead tree festooned with giblets in the middle and encourage crows to nest in it is secondary to your neighbours' rights to not have a fucking eyesore across the road from them.

This isn't something draconian and unworkable. 40% of the garden has to be covered with living plants. This couple had two years to do that and they either didn't do it or didn't submit the proper documents proving they'd done it.

Quote :
This sort of thing is why miniature pseudogovernments like homeowner's associations are a modern plague.

This is a city ordinance. They're dealing with the proper local authority, not a "miniature pseudogovernment".
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.   Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 6:59 pm

Cyberwulf wrote:
This is a city ordinance. They're dealing with the proper local authority, not a "miniature pseudogovernment".

I am aware of this. HOAs are what happens when busybodies can't get the same deals from the local legitimate government.

Last edited by Penguin on Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Just Chipper
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Just Chipper

PostSubject: Re: Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.   Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 7:00 pm

Quote :
40%
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.   Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 7:05 pm

Ezri Dax wrote:
The question is, what kind of idiot would make up such a ridiculous (and unnecessary) law in the first place? Even more scary is how did said idiot get other people to vote in this bill? I call it an infringement on peoples rights to have their garden how they want it. Many people work long hours and juggle that with a family life, and therefore simply don't have the necessary time to do gardening, not to mention the elderly and disabled who would be physically unable anyway. If their home isn't a listed building that has conditions attached in the deeds, then there is no reason why they shouldn't be allowed to have their garden the way they like and is most convenient for them.
Holy shit. I actually agree with the troll.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Ezri Dax
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Ezri Dax

PostSubject: hat   Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 06, 2010 9:52 am

Cyberwulf wrote:
Ezri Dax wrote:
I call it an infringement on peoples rights to have their garden how they want it.
Well tough fuck, because it isn't all about you. Your right to pour concrete all over your front lawn, stick a dead tree festooned with giblets in the middle and encourage crows to nest in it is secondary to your neighbours' rights to not have a fucking eyesore across the road from them.

That depends on how you define an eyesore, since everyones opinion on an 'eyesore' is different it would be nearly impossible to define in law (and to say that 'eyesore = over 60% paved' is just ridiculously simplistic). I find severely overgrown grass an eyesore but I wouldn't dream of telling my neighbors how often to mow the lawn on their own properties, because that isn't any of my business.

There are plenty of styles of paving that actually look pretty nice. If you don't like paving, that's okay, you don't have to have it in your garden. But what gives you the right to say that somebody else is not allowed to have it? Wouldn't that be the equivalent of somebody else telling you that you MUST have it?

Quote :
This isn't something draconian and unworkable. 40% of the garden has to be covered with living plants. This couple had two years to do that and they either didn't do it or didn't submit the proper documents proving they'd done it.

This still doesn't change the fact that this law is unnecessary and shouldn't be on the books in the first place. I'd bet a ludicrous amount of taxpayers money has been spent on prosecuting this poor couple for what amounts to a completely victimless crime. If I was in their shoes I'd be fighting this law.
Back to top Go down
Mafiosa
You crack me up, little buddy!
You crack me up, little buddy!

PostSubject: Re: Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.   Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 06, 2010 10:09 am

who fucking cares
Back to top Go down
Jesus.
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Jesus.

PostSubject: Re: Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.   Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 06, 2010 10:24 am

Ezri Dax wrote:
Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 2 832557

What part of "property values" don't you get? The aesthetics keep up a certain standard of living. So do politics, resident statistics, etc. The city gets their tax dollars from these people, and the squeaky wheel (namely, the complainers) get the grease (namely, this lawn thing handled). They don't want a peice of their community keeping up to standard. There are laws like this anywhere, and for some it's just understandings because they want to keep up the level of the neighborhood and keep it A Nice Place To Live (tm).

Seriously, have none of you people heard of a gated community?
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.   Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 06, 2010 10:51 am

HEY

I THINK CITIES SHOULD MAKE IT ILLEGAL FOR NIGGERS AND SPICS TO MOVE IN

THEY ALWAYS LOWER PROPERTY VALUES WHEN THEY MOVE IN

FUCKING UP OUR RESALE MAN WHITEYS STICK TOGETHER

Seriously when did property values become a human right?
Back to top Go down
Delcat
Good old-fashioned nightmare fuel
Delcat

PostSubject: Re: Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.   Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 06, 2010 11:21 am

Cyberwulf wrote:
stick a dead tree festooned with giblets in the middle and encourage crows to nest in it
Holy shit, now I want to try that. You think I could get vultures? I bet I could get vultures! Oh man, I am going to the butcher's right now fuck yeah man
Back to top Go down
http://delcat.insanejournal.com
Verandering
The Gender Offender
The Gender Offender
Verandering

PostSubject: Re: Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.   Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 06, 2010 11:23 am

You're all arguing about grass here. Grass. I just... Thought you should know.
Back to top Go down
TheHedonist
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
TheHedonist

PostSubject: Re: Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.   Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 06, 2010 11:26 am

Verandering wrote:

And here I thought it was basically legal in California Trollface
Back to top Go down
lemmingwriter
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.   Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 06, 2010 11:32 am

Delcat wrote:
Cyberwulf wrote:
stick a dead tree festooned with giblets in the middle and encourage crows to nest in it
Holy shit, now I want to try that. You think I could get vultures? I bet I could get vultures! Oh man, I am going to the butcher's right now fuck yeah man

We have turkey vultures around here. Would that work for you? They tend to congregate around the auto parts yards, fyi. Bring your own cages. Be warned though: those suckers are freaking huge.
Back to top Go down
Delcat
Delcat

PostSubject: Re: Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.   Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 06, 2010 11:36 am

lemmingwriter wrote:
We have turkey vultures around here. Would that work for you? They tend to congregate around the auto parts yards, fyi. Bring your own cages. Be warned though: those suckers are freaking huge.
Psssht, what could possibly go OH GOD MY PRECIOUS LADYGIBLETS

(We actually have turkey vultures around here too, they're awesome :D)
Back to top Go down
myeerah
Contributor
Contributor
myeerah

PostSubject: Re: Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.   Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 06, 2010 1:06 pm

Delcat wrote:
lemmingwriter wrote:

Delly, hon, you realize this isn't the unerotic euphemism thread, right?
Back to top Go down
Ezri Dax
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Ezri Dax

PostSubject: Re: Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.   Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 06, 2010 1:16 pm

Delcat wrote:
Cyberwulf wrote:

I wouldn't have to worry about getting vultures, since we don't have those in the UK. However, If I had a dead tree with meat hung on it I might be able to attract smaller birds of prey such as Kestrels or Owls. That said, a dead tree with meat hung on it isn't exactly what I'd call a nice garden... However if any of my neighbours decided to help out the local wildlife in that way I'd have absolutely no objections.
Back to top Go down
Delcat
Delcat

PostSubject: Re: Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.   Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 06, 2010 4:03 pm

Ezri Dax wrote:
However, If I had a dead tree with meat hung on it I might be able to attract smaller birds of prey such as Kestrels or Owls.
And raccoons. And dogs. And bears.
Ezri Dax wrote:
However if any of my neighbours decided to help out the local wildlife in that way I'd have absolutely no objections.
Raccoons. And dogs. And bears.

Seriously, motherfucking bears.
Back to top Go down
Verandering
The Gender Offender
The Gender Offender
Verandering

PostSubject: Re: Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.   Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 06, 2010 4:42 pm

TheHedonist wrote:
Verandering wrote:

And here I thought it was basically legal in California Trollface

well sweetie, you were wrong Trollface
Back to top Go down
Sutremaine
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sutremaine

PostSubject: Re: Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.   Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 06, 2010 4:50 pm

Delcat wrote:
Ezri Dax wrote:
However, If I had a dead tree with meat hung on it I might be able to attract smaller birds of prey such as Kestrels or Owls.
And raccoons. And dogs. And bears.
No raccoons in the UK (foxes, yes), most gardens can be sealed against dogs, and certainly no bears. The most vicious things we have are boar, and they're hidden in one of the forests. And also vegetarian.

You could attract birds of prey indirectly by putting out food for the things they eat, although I think I'd prefer the house sparrows that hang out in the back garden.
Back to top Go down
Seule
My Mescaline
My Mescaline
Seule

PostSubject: Re: Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.   Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 06, 2010 5:29 pm

i saw a massive fucking eagle yesterday

it was eating either a very very large rat or a small cat

shit was so majestic
Back to top Go down
lemmingwriter
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.   Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 06, 2010 6:17 pm

Delcat wrote:
lemmingwriter wrote:

Between the parts yards, the freeways, and the reservoirs/collection basins, we have almost any kind of bird of prey you could want. Turkey vultures, a couple of kinds of owls, red-tail hawks, and kestrels. Then there are the large waterbirds--egrets, herons, pelicans--so if you want imposing birds, we have imposing birds.
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.   Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 06, 2010 8:27 pm

Ezri Dax wrote:
Quote :

This still doesn't change the fact that this law is unnecessary
It isn't unnecessary.

Quote :
I'd bet a ludicrous amount of taxpayers money has been spent on prosecuting this poor couple
Who were given two years to comply with the rules and didn't bother.

Quote :
If I was in their shoes I'd be fighting this law.
Because you're a fucking dumbass.

Penguin wrote:
HEY

I'M A STUPID FUCKHEAD WHO THINKS THIS IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RACISM

BRB HUFFING AIRPLANE FUEL AND THEN LIGHTING MATCHES

Ezri Dax wrote:
That said, a dead tree with meat hung on it isn't exactly what I'd call a nice garden...
In your ideal world, there'd be plenty of things you wouldn't call "a nice garden". And you'd get to deal with all the vermin, stink, and general nastiness with absolutely no recourse.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.   Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 6:45 am

Cyberwulf wrote:
Everything flies over my head because I'm the world's shortest mental midget

Oh, okay. Here, let me make this absolutely clear: "Property values" are not an excuse to make a law about anything. Much of the other stuff that people keep bringing up, because they have a ridiculous idea of how these laws work, don't apply here. If someone is going to "stink up a neighborhood" by leaving chunks of meat in the trees or dump toxic waste in their own yard, they'd be subject to other environmental protection/public health laws.

The amount of grass or plants or whatever in your yard is strictly relevant to making it look pretty, which only has to do with property values. And oh by the way that's why neighborhoods don't like incoming poor people (who are often minorities) moving in. Not only do they lower property values by their sheer presence due to potential buyers' xenophobia, working long hours for crap wages often means they don't have nearly the time and energy to deal with this shit.

So, in reality, it often really does come down to racism.
Back to top Go down
Ezri Dax
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Ezri Dax

PostSubject: Re: Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.   Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 10:19 am

Penguin wrote:
Cyberwulf wrote:
Everything flies over my head because I'm the world's shortest mental midget

Oh, okay. Here, let me make this absolutely clear: "Property values" are not an excuse to make a law about anything. Much of the other stuff that people keep bringing up, because they have a ridiculous idea of how these laws work, don't apply here. If someone is going to "stink up a neighborhood" by leaving chunks of meat in the trees or dump toxic waste in their own yard, they'd be subject to other environmental protection/public health laws.

Exactly, which means there is no requirement for an additional law. Since we're talking about people being allowed to pave over their own gardens in peace, public health doesn't even apply to this case. As for property values, I just don't understand why paving would necessarily reduce the value of a house anyway. Surely a low maintainence garden, for some, would actually be a selling point? Gardens, like anything else, are not a one type fits all.

Quote :
The amount of grass or plants or whatever in your yard is strictly relevant to making it look pretty, which only has to do with property values. And oh by the way that's why neighborhoods don't like incoming poor people (who are often minorities) moving in. Not only do they lower property values by their sheer presence due to potential buyers' xenophobia, working long hours for crap wages often means they don't have nearly the time and energy to deal with this shit.

So, in reality, it often really does come down to racism.

How exactly are poor people a race? Here in the UK there are poor people of EVERY race, and rich people of every race too. In honesty even if I didn't fall into the 'poor' category, I wouldn't want to live in a rich neighbourhood anyway, I have no time for snobs. Not all rich people are snobs, of course, but enough are that I wouldn't want to live in a rich area. There is much more important things to worry about in life than glaring at what your neighbour is doing with his own property. To be honest if anyone IS worried about how others in their neighbourhood have their gardens then sorry but that means they have really really sad lives.

It has a lot to do with snobbery but nothing to do with racism.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.   Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 10:35 am

Ezri Dax wrote:
Exactly, which means there is no requirement for an additional law. Since we're talking about people being allowed to pave over their own gardens in peace, public health doesn't even apply to this case. As for property values, I just don't understand why paving would necessarily reduce the value of a house anyway. Surely a low maintainence garden, for some, would actually be a selling point? Gardens, like anything else, are not a one type fits all.

Pretty, well-manicured lawns give off the impression that the neighborhood is full of conscientious people who don't break into your house. A dead, paved lawn combined with other architectural blemishes give the place a more rough and tumble, make sure you lock your doors at night atmosphere. That's just the way it is. People feel more secure about moving in with the pretty.

Ezri Dax wrote:
How exactly are poor people a race?

They're not, and that's not my point. But particularly in the US, the poor are most likely to be comprised of a demographic that one could describe, "usually not white." Yes, there are millions of poor white people, but:

Quote :
It has a lot to do with snobbery but nothing to do with racism.

Wrong. Well, racism is another form of snobbery, but let me explain why this sort of thing happens. Take the US in the 1960s and 70s, for example. Black people stuck in inner-city apartments started moving out into the suburbs, heavily white-dominated neighborhoods. Ever wonder where "there goes the neighborhood" comes from? Yeah. Black people moved into the neighborhood, property values started going down because people with money (who were still more often white than black) didn't want to buy houses there anymore. On one hand, this drove down the prices of new houses, making them more affordable. On the other hand, the racists started cooking up all sorts of ideas to keep their neighborhoods homogenized. One of them was cooking up ordinances to make sure that white suburbanites had the upper hand. Meanwhile, if you've been stuck in an apartment your whole life, as has the rest of your family, and suddenly have a chance to move out into the suburbs... are you really going to be all that up to speed on maintaining a house with a yard? Even if you have the time and ability, house repairs and lawn work can get ahead of you fast. So you start getting ticketed by local busybody ordinances because you don't have the ability to do it yourself or the money to pay someone... you see where this leads?

California's always had a problem with this in particular. It's not an issue that goes away if you slap your hands over your ears and say LA LA LA THERE ARE RICH PEOPLE OF OTHER COLORS TOO LA LA LA
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.   Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Apparently, California requires you to have a pretty yard by law.
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next