Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Why, Gody, Why did this game end this way?

Go down 
+41
Reepicheep-chan
Miss Prince
Braigwen
Somath Cegem
grmblfjx
Reidmar
Dr. Professor Science
Mr.Doobie
InkWeaver
Verandering
VileCorp
Spooky
Indigo
KGarrett
Root Admin
Kitbug
Mafiosa
theweirdkind
Delcat
Jossarian
crazzycat
Alhazred
Maximilia
Chaltab
Mikey Go WOOGA
Atramentua
Penguin
Lysander
Alana
DarthDarthington
Notomys mordax
unskilled78
Animir
AngryRobotsInc
Manny
Miraba
Electron Blue
rae
saeku
myeerah
King Bee
45 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
King Bee
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
King Bee

Why, Gody, Why did this game end this way? Empty
PostSubject: Why, Gody, Why did this game end this way?   Why, Gody, Why did this game end this way? EmptySat Jun 13, 2009 11:01 am

Kingdom Hearts II, everybody can have Keyblades now even though in the first game it was a huge deal that Sora was running around with it.
Back to top Go down
myeerah
Contributor
Contributor
myeerah

PostSubject: Re: Why, Gody, Why did this game end this way?   Why, Gody, Why did this game end this way? EmptySat Jun 13, 2009 11:10 am

Digital Devil Saga I: You fall in a plothole.

The Secret of Monkey Island 2: It was a dream? Really? C'mon. Really?
Spoiler:

Gabriel Knight 3: A classic adventure mystery series filled with thoughtful puzzles (and one joke of a blunder) and you end up knife-fighting a demon?! Sad, Jane Jensen. Very sad.

Jak 3: WTF ottsels?
Back to top Go down
saeku
Fapmaster
Fapmaster

PostSubject: Re: Why, Gody, Why did this game end this way?   Why, Gody, Why did this game end this way? EmptySat Jun 13, 2009 11:30 am

myeerah wrote:
The Secret of Monkey Island 2: It was a dream? Really? C'mon. Really?

Best ending of all time or worst ending of all time. There is no middle ground.
Apparently Ron Gilbert was planning to finish MI as a trilogy, but LucasArts refused his story for the third game. Personally, MI2 is one of my all-time favourite endings because it was totally unexpected and open-ended. Unfortunately, MI3 sort of turned away from its awesome implications.
Back to top Go down
rae
Contributor
Contributor
rae

PostSubject: Re: Why, Gody, Why did this game end this way?   Why, Gody, Why did this game end this way? EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 7:54 am

Conker's Bad Fur Day. I got to the ending and it felt like a bad hang-over (which is, admittedly, sort of appropriate) and actually threw my controller down. I haven't played the second because the ending of the first pissed me off so bad.
Back to top Go down
Electron Blue
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Electron Blue

PostSubject: Re: Why, Gody, Why did this game end this way?   Why, Gody, Why did this game end this way? EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 10:26 am

Mirror's Edge. Okay so it does have a rather awesome song, but there's NO FUCKING RESOLUTION. It gives you a nice view of the city from atop a skyscraper then BAM. Credits. Where are the guys who were shooting at you a minute ago? How do you get down? WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING TO HAPPEN NEXT?

It's like they turned the turning point of a longer game into an ending.
Back to top Go down
Miraba
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Miraba

PostSubject: Re: Why, Gody, Why did this game end this way?   Why, Gody, Why did this game end this way? EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 10:49 am

The Mirror's Edge end sounds like it was supposed to be a really cool opening, then someone decided if it would be good there, how awesome would it be as an ending? Or not.
Back to top Go down
Manny
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Manny

PostSubject: Re: Why, Gody, Why did this game end this way?   Why, Gody, Why did this game end this way? EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 10:52 am

Final Fantasy X.
Spoiler:

FFX and X-2 have the most ridiculous premises for a plot I have ever seen in the Final Fantasy franchise. The games are beautiful and wonderful to play, but they suffer serious Metal Gear Solid Syndrome.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fanfiction.net/~lazerth
Miraba
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Miraba

PostSubject: Re: Why, Gody, Why did this game end this way?   Why, Gody, Why did this game end this way? EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 10:54 am

Manny wrote:
FFX and X-2 have the most ridiculous premises for a plot I have ever seen in the Final Fantasy franchise. The games are beautiful and wonderful to play, but they suffer serious Metal Gear Solid Syndrome.
Ooh, there's another idea for a forum topic. I can't think of anything as ridiculous as MGS though. scratch
Back to top Go down
AngryRobotsInc
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
AngryRobotsInc

PostSubject: Re: Why, Gody, Why did this game end this way?   Why, Gody, Why did this game end this way? EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 11:06 am

I actually rather liked the plot to FFX, and thought that, for Square, they handle the themes they had going relatively well. I also liked that the ending was bittersweet, and that the two love interests didn't end up together, which isn't something often happens in those sort of JRPG stories.

While I liked the gameplay of X-2, I didn't like that it took that ending, and forced it to be a happy one, which I think ruins the emotional impact of X's ending.
Back to top Go down
Animir
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Animir

PostSubject: Re: Why, Gody, Why did this game end this way?   Why, Gody, Why did this game end this way? EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 11:12 am

Electron Blue wrote:
Mirror's Edge. Okay so it does have a rather awesome song, but there's NO FUCKING RESOLUTION. It gives you a nice view of the city from atop a skyscraper then BAM. Credits. Where are the guys who were shooting at you a minute ago? How do you get down? WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING TO HAPPEN NEXT?
King's Quest: Mask of Eternity did the same thing. Sure, it showed the lands going back to normal and all that, but that's it. Nothing on the aftermath, nothing on what happened to Connor, the guy you've been controlling for the past forty hours, not even another cameo by King Graham (which would have been nice, since this is supposed to be a fucking King's Quest game).
Back to top Go down
Manny
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Manny

PostSubject: Re: Why, Gody, Why did this game end this way?   Why, Gody, Why did this game end this way? EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 11:28 am

AngryRobotsInc wrote:
While I liked the gameplay of X-2, I didn't like that it took that ending, and forced it to be a happy one, which I think ruins the emotional impact of X's ending.

I couldn't agree more!

After calming down and reading your post, you made me realize that the reason X's ending was ruined for me is because of X-2's ending.

I hate stupid retcons. Don't you hate stupid retcons, Captain?

Why, Gody, Why did this game end this way? 199471

I thought so.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fanfiction.net/~lazerth
unskilled78
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Why, Gody, Why did this game end this way?   Why, Gody, Why did this game end this way? EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 12:43 pm

The actual end of Fallout 3 (It has technically been retconned by DLC)
Back to top Go down
Notomys mordax

Notomys mordax

PostSubject: Re: Why, Gody, Why did this game end this way?   Why, Gody, Why did this game end this way? EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 11:33 am

Worst game ending EVER-- Ghosts'n Goblins.

Not only is the game a nightmare to beat, but at the end, after defeating the final boss you are informed that

"it was only a nightmare sent by Satan"

and in order to get the 'real' ending you need to play through the WHOLE damned game again.
Back to top Go down
DarthDarthington
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
DarthDarthington

PostSubject: Re: Why, Gody, Why did this game end this way?   Why, Gody, Why did this game end this way? EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 12:32 pm

rae wrote:
Conker's Bad Fur Day. I got to the ending and it felt like a bad hang-over (which is, admittedly, sort of appropriate) and actually threw my controller down. I haven't played the second because the ending of the first pissed me off so bad.

Yeah, I never liked the ending to that game either.

The 'second' is just a port/remake for another system - I don't think they change the ending. Haven't played it so, so I don't know.
Back to top Go down
Electron Blue
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Electron Blue

PostSubject: Re: Why, Gody, Why did this game end this way?   Why, Gody, Why did this game end this way? EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 1:47 pm

Miraba wrote:
The Mirror's Edge end sounds like it was supposed to be a really cool opening, then someone decided if it would be good there, how awesome would it be as an ending? Or not.
Well really, it should have been the turning point of the game, like Surface Tension in Half-Life - the stakes are higher, the tasks riskier, the challenges greater - but instead it just...ends. It's like if Half-Life ended when the marines knocked him out after On A Rail.
Back to top Go down
Alana

Alana

PostSubject: Re: Why, Gody, Why did this game end this way?   Why, Gody, Why did this game end this way? EmptyMon Jun 29, 2009 2:53 pm

myeerah wrote:
Jak 3: WTF ottsels?

Oh my god yes. D: Pants. Why pants? I was looking forward to seeing
Spoiler:

Goddamn. Way to make all Jak's efforts in TPL worthless, Dax. :|
Back to top Go down
Electron Blue
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Electron Blue

PostSubject: Re: Why, Gody, Why did this game end this way?   Why, Gody, Why did this game end this way? EmptyFri Jul 31, 2009 5:32 am

Just finished System Shock 2 and it kind of ends the same way Bioshock did - two levels of completely linear mayhem, frustration and new gameplay mechanics and because it's System Shock it was WAY TOO HARD and I had to cheat. The ending itself suffers a bit, as your player character utters one of the most aggresively unnecessary lines in the history of gaming, but still, it was a good game and I liked it moar than BioShock.
Back to top Go down
Lysander
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Lysander

PostSubject: Re: Why, Gody, Why did this game end this way?   Why, Gody, Why did this game end this way? EmptyFri Jul 31, 2009 10:53 am

I would add KOTOR2, but I already know why it ended that way.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Why, Gody, Why did this game end this way?   Why, Gody, Why did this game end this way? EmptyFri Jul 31, 2009 10:57 am

King Bee wrote:
Kingdom Hearts II, everybody can have Keyblades now even though in the first game it was a huge deal that Sora was running around with it.

Thus spawning some of the worst badfic ideas for a KH2 fic I have ever seen.
Back to top Go down
Atramentua

Atramentua

PostSubject: Re: Why, Gody, Why did this game end this way?   Why, Gody, Why did this game end this way? EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 9:49 am

Technically this can be averted with the Broken Steel add-on, but I wasn't very fond of the Fallout 3 ending. Even the guidebook I was reading confessed that it was "an embarrassment of an ending," which was almost surreal.

I third Conker's Bad Fur Day. Man, that ending was depressing. I guess I would appreciate the ending under different circumstances, but the game up until that point was one delightfully obscene episode after another.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Why, Gody, Why did this game end this way?   Why, Gody, Why did this game end this way? EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 10:41 am

The worst thing about Fallout 3's ending was if you try to reuse Fawkes.

"No this is the culmination of your story HURRRRR"
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Why, Gody, Why did this game end this way?   Why, Gody, Why did this game end this way? EmptySat Aug 08, 2009 12:43 am

^
No kidding. When you first met, he was happy to waltz into a highly radioactive area that would have ACTUALLY killed you in a matter of seconds simply to get that spiffy item thing.

But you COULD make Sarah Lyons do it? WTF?
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Why, Gody, Why did this game end this way?   Why, Gody, Why did this game end this way? EmptySat Aug 08, 2009 4:37 am

And it's totally not a goal worth sacrificing yourself over, because the Wasteland has been getting on just fine with slightly radioactive water for nearly 200 years now.

All you're doing is making it easier for people in less-civilized places without access to water purification survive.

Like Raiders.

Good job, hero.
Back to top Go down
Lysander
Lysander

PostSubject: Re: Why, Gody, Why did this game end this way?   Why, Gody, Why did this game end this way? EmptySat Aug 08, 2009 6:32 am

Penguin wrote:
And it's totally not a goal worth sacrificing yourself over, because the Wasteland has been getting on just fine with slightly radioactive water for nearly 200 years now.

DC's built on a swamp; it has apparently been nuked to the point where it's a hardscrabble desert. Which doesn't really make sense, unless something is killing off virtually all the lifeforms that's trying to live there. The idea is, once it cleans the poison out of the water table, it won't be a "wasteland" anymore, life will thrive, hugs, rainbows, and blowjobs for everyone, ect.

I liked the original ending of Fallout 3. At least, I liked what they were trying to do. You enter the game world at your birth, and leave at your death, but it's not that the wasteland kills you, so much as you kill the wasteland. It's powerful stuff, if you think about it. Too bad they fucked it up so completely by giving you radiation-resistant buddies and not explaining shit about anything that you're supposed to be doing.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Why, Gody, Why did this game end this way?   Why, Gody, Why did this game end this way? EmptySat Aug 08, 2009 7:41 am

...I had a very long reply, my login timed out and it ate the whole thing. FUCK.

TL;DR version: BethSoft basically tried to take the original Fallout games and wrap a little bit of their take around it, and ultimately produced a fun game, even if the end product is as strange and mutated as the Ghouls.

...which were originally a product of FEV. Not just an accident of radiation. But, y'know. Whatevs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why, Gody, Why did this game end this way?   Why, Gody, Why did this game end this way? Empty

Back to top Go down

Why, Gody, Why did this game end this way?
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next