Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Game of Thrones

Go down 
+14
Just Chipper
Aggie
Jay/Cris
Malganis
kleine_kat
Lady Anne
Somath Cegem
Penguin
Miss Prince
Azzandra
Cyberwulf
Maximilia
rae
Lapin
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Lapin
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Lapin

Game of Thrones Empty
PostSubject: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones EmptyThu Apr 21, 2011 6:53 pm

So who has seen it? I feel like HBO has done a damn good job of the show, and it even got me to read the book (I am halfway through). Sean Bean is a pretty perfect Stark, and the other casting choices are pretty good. The visuals though, those I feel HBO has down pat, with the spectacular opening scene of the Wall and the woods, white and still and frightening as all hell. The Others are the stuff of nightmares, and had me covering my eyes for most of the scene.

Daenerys' hair is throwing me off though. (I know you guys have a better budget than that). Viserys is pretty damn creepy, though I guess he's supposed to be, but Drogo is Ronon! How awesome!

So...am I alone in loving this?
Back to top Go down
rae
Contributor
Contributor
rae

Game of Thrones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 12:30 am

You are so totally not. When I heard Game of Thrones was being made into a series, I groaned, until I heard who had optioned it. I am LOVING it so far, but I also really quite liked the books. I've read all the ones out so far. I love the casting, especially of the Starks and Robert. I am full of squee.

However, there is a godawful article in the NY Times about it. It's not awful because the reviewer didn't like it. It's awful because it's yet another, "Oh, ladies, your poor widdle brains can't handle this," with the implied subtext that the reviewer couldn't understand what was going on, with a bonus of 'girls don't like fantasy.'

Spoilered for long rant about the article:

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Maximilia
My spoon is too big.
My spoon is too big.
Maximilia

Game of Thrones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 1:10 am

It's good. I like most of the casting in it. Not sure about Cersei yet, but I LOVE Jaime and Tyrion. Robb and Theon were good... Sean is BRILLIANT as Eddard, though he mumbles a bit when he gets all SRS BSNS. Viserys was spot on... and creepy...yeah. Good stuff.

The only thing I'm quibbling about ... ok, two things... I always thought of the wights as being sort of slow and clumsy a bit, and Ser Waymar Royce went out like a BITCH in the TV series. In the book, he went down fighting an Other, not one of the wights... off screen. Disappointing. The second is that the pilot was a bit choppy. However, I expect that to smooth out as things progress.
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

Game of Thrones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 6:29 am

Yeah, I don't know which I liked more, the naked whores, Blondie undressing his sister and feeling up her tits, or how every female character is defined in terms of her relationship to a man.

Oh, oh, maybe it was the bit where the blonde one gets raped by Mr Braid while she cries and HE says 'no'. The little boy catching the brother and sister fucking was awesome too and totally justified.
Back to top Go down
Lapin
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Lapin

Game of Thrones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 9:56 am

Cyberwulf wrote:
Yeah, I don't know which I liked more, the naked whores, Blondie undressing his sister and feeling up her tits, or how every female character is defined in terms of her relationship to a man.

The Imp is supposed to like the local ladies of the night, Viserys is supposed to come off as creepy and awful. Neither of these things are being portrayed as admirable. The Imp is mocked for it, with the joke being that he has to pay for it. And Viserys' molesting and abuse of his sister is always portrayed as what it is; cruel and not sexual, but him getting off on the power he has over her, what with her being fucking terrified of him. She has every reason to be afraid, or so she thinks. I actually quite like Dany in the book, because she starts off this way, but eventually, realizes who he is in comparison to her. Viserys pays for every time he made her afraid, with interest.

Quote :
Oh, oh, maybe it was the bit where the blonde one gets raped by Mr Braid while she cries and HE says 'no'.

Okay, point for that, but it was a bit different in the book.

Quote :
The little boy catching the brother and sister fucking was awesome too and totally justified.

That is in the book, and it does have a plot point.
Back to top Go down
Azzandra
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Azzandra

Game of Thrones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 10:47 am

Man, I've read the book. Nothing good ever happens, to anyone. It was a good book, mind, but it was awful, in its own way. I don't know if I can bear to watch the show, even if the huge advertisments taunt me mercilessly whenever I have to take the subway.
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

Game of Thrones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 11:33 am

Oh, well, the fact that an author and not a tv exec said, 'Let's take the warring kingdoms aspect of Lord of the Rings and the winter as evil motif from Chronicles of Narnia and add a load of swearing and graphic sex' totally makes this not a derivative load of shit.
Back to top Go down
Lapin
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Lapin

Game of Thrones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 11:45 am

I like the books. I like the show. You don't have to like it, and you don't have to like that I like it.

I'm not going to argue with you. You don't like it. Okay. I get it. I won't fangirl about it if we're in the chat together. But let me enjoy it with other people.
Back to top Go down
Miss Prince
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Miss Prince

Game of Thrones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 11:54 am

No opinion on this either way since I haven't seen the show or read the books, but you did post this on a snark forum, Lapin. People disagree with antidotes all the time.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

Game of Thrones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 12:20 pm

Miss Prince wrote:
No opinion on this either way since I haven't seen the show or read the books, but you did post this on a snark forum, Lapin. People disagree with antidotes all the time.

There is no snark here.
Back to top Go down
Miss Prince
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Miss Prince

Game of Thrones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 12:22 pm

I just meant it's a place oriented toward expressing negative opinions, and Antidotes has never been a squee-only zone.

We don't really do funny much anymore.
Back to top Go down
Somath Cegem
Wonderfully English
Wonderfully English
Somath Cegem

Game of Thrones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 12:53 pm

Miss Prince wrote:
I just meant it's a place oriented toward expressing negative opinions, and Antidotes has never been a squee-only zone.

It was always supposed to be, it's just people like shoving their disaproval for a chosen form of entertainment in those that like it's faces, instead of, ya know, making a sperate thread in the realivent part of the forum (in this case TV) and complaining about it there like is intended, most will just try and muddy the enjoyment of others.
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

Game of Thrones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 1:57 pm

Somath Cegem wrote:
Miss Prince wrote:

It was always supposed to be, it's just people like shoving their disaproval for a chosen form of entertainment in those that like it's faces, instead of, ya know, making a sperate thread in the realivent part of the forum (in this case TV) and complaining about it there like is intended, most will just try and muddy the enjoyment of others.
Oh fuck off, McGee. Remember when Harley posted a Peach/Bowser fic as an Antidote and we all had a good laugh?

Lapin, I'll say whatever I want, wherever I want, about this pile of horseshit. I watched this show hoping I'd like it. I saw the clips of Sean Bean looking all horrified on the trailers for Sky Atlantic and I thought "Woo, Boromir! I must see what this is like." What I got was something that's derivative and lurid (by the way, is there actually a sentence in the book saying "Bran saw the Queen and her brother rutting like pigs"? Because that scene could've been more subtle) with very little in the way of decent female characters. I question its status as an Antidote.
Back to top Go down
Lapin
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Lapin

Game of Thrones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 2:23 pm

Question away. It won't change that I like it.
Back to top Go down
Somath Cegem
Wonderfully English
Wonderfully English
Somath Cegem

Game of Thrones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 3:53 pm

Cyberwulf wrote:

Oh fuck off, McGee. Remember when Harley posted a Peach/Bowser fic as an Antidote and we all had a good laugh?

Yeah I do, you'll also recall I didn't join in, and just ignored her and let her get on with it.

Cyberwulf wrote:
Lapin, I'll say whatever I want, wherever I want, about this pile of horseshit. I watched this show hoping I'd like it. I saw the clips of Sean Bean looking all horrified on the trailers for Sky Atlantic and I thought "Woo, Boromir! I must see what this is like." What I got was something that's derivative and lurid (by the way, is there actually a sentence in the book saying "Bran saw the Queen and her brother rutting like pigs"? Because that scene could've been more subtle) with very little in the way of decent female characters. I question its status as an Antidote.

I still don't see why you think you can call it horse shit, it was well scripted, well acted, well cast and very very true to the source material, we haven't had any strong female characters yet because they are yet to arrive or have yet to become what we who have read the books love.
And yes there was a bit in the book were bran see the twins going at it, it's discribed as a ten year old would see it because it was told from Brans POV in book.
You are basing an series based on a 827 page book, a famously slow burning book as well, on an episode that covers maybe 50 pages, you are quite blatently jumping the gun and are only robbing yourself by refusing to give this show a chance.
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

Game of Thrones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 4:40 pm

I know it had plenty of titties for you to look at, McGee, but it's still derivative horseshit. Seriously, tell me it's not Lord of the Rings BUT WITH LOTS MORE GRIT AND REALITY YEAAAAHHH. Fuck me, I haven't even mentioned the super special pet wolves yet.

Quote :
you are quite blatently jumping the gun and are only robbing yourself by refusing to give this show a chance.
Well gee McGee, tell me how many episodes of whores and rape I should sit through before I make my final decision. Tell me why the hell I should waste my time on a show that thoroughly failed to impress me with its first episode. I have better things to look at.
Back to top Go down
Somath Cegem
Wonderfully English
Wonderfully English
Somath Cegem

Game of Thrones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 5:39 pm

Cyberwulf wrote:
Tell me why the hell I should waste my time on a show that thoroughly failed to impress me with its first episode. I have better things to look at.

No no, please, just quit on it now, go on, go. Cause I'll tell you want, it gets no better from your view, murder, suicide, rape, maiming, blackmail, betrayal, incest. This is what A song of Ice and Fire is, a fantasy book with all the nastiness of a middle age setting left in( and then taken up to 11 in places) there is no way in hell you would like the books so why the hell would you like this? Off you bugger and leave the rest of us in peace.
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

Game of Thrones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 10:02 pm

Now I want to see this show, but I don't have HBO. Upset
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Maximilia
My spoon is too big.
My spoon is too big.
Maximilia

Game of Thrones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 11:42 pm

Cy, if it was so awful, why did you watch it all the way to the end?
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

Game of Thrones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 3:08 am

What's your point, Max? That clearly I didn't find it awful because I watched the whole episode? Even though I've explained what I found awful about it? Shit, if you liked it so much, why the fuck do you care what I think?

McGee - do you even understand how stupid it is to shove your nose in the air and sniff "oh you didn't give it a chance"? But thanks for admitting it is just Lord of the Rings with more GRIT and REALITY YEAH.
Back to top Go down
Somath Cegem
Wonderfully English
Wonderfully English
Somath Cegem

Game of Thrones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 8:48 am

Cyberwulf wrote:
But thanks for admitting it is just Lord of the Rings with more GRIT and REALITY YEAH.

Yeah, just like Lord of the Rings.

Except there's no hobbits, or elves, or dwarves, or goblins/orcs, or wizards, or a dark lord, or items of magical power, or a quest to save the world, or aqnything that makes Lord of the Rings, well, Lord of the Rings, yes, you are right, it's exactly like Lord of the Rings except gritty and edgey.
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

Game of Thrones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 10:40 am

Somath Cegem wrote:
Cyberwulf wrote:
But thanks for admitting it is just Lord of the Rings with more GRIT and REALITY YEAH.

Except there's no hobbits, or elves, or dwarves, or goblins/orcs, or wizards, or a dark lord, or items of magical power, or a quest to save the world, or aqnything that makes Lord of the Rings, well, Lord of the Rings, yes, you are right, it's exactly like Lord of the Rings except gritty and edgey.
It sounds like a medieval fantasy for adults.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

Game of Thrones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 11:35 am

Somath Cegem wrote:
Cyberwulf wrote:

Oh, Somath, you silly goober. It has Sean Bean in it for, like, two episodes. So of course it's Lord of the Rings only gritedgious.
Back to top Go down
Maximilia
My spoon is too big.
My spoon is too big.
Maximilia

Game of Thrones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 5:11 pm

Cyberwulf wrote:
What's your point, Max? That clearly I didn't find it awful because I watched the whole episode? Even though I've explained what I found awful about it? Shit, if you liked it so much, why the fuck do you care what I think?

McGee - do you even understand how stupid it is to shove your nose in the air and sniff "oh you didn't give it a chance"? But thanks for admitting it is just Lord of the Rings with more GRIT and REALITY YEAH.

...no. I was just wondering why you watched it since some of the things you would have found offensive were in the first half or so. That's all. SORRY FOR BEING CURIOUS.
Back to top Go down
kleine_kat
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
kleine_kat

Game of Thrones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones EmptyMon May 02, 2011 8:06 am

I must say it was a bit confusing to me. I haven't read the books, and there were a lot of characters, most of whose names I either missed or didn't quite catch. For instance the old guy who died, he wasn't the old king, right, but some old advisor who was the husband of Eddard's wife? That was a bit confusing.

I didn't really get why Dany didn't tell her brother to sleep with the savage himself instead if he wanted to get an army so badly, and that it was a really bad idea to tell your sister you'd have her raped by the entire army if you actually wanted her to do something for you, but I hope the brother's hold over her will be explained later. At the moment she's a snivelly character who barely seems capable of speech--but again, she might just end up being kick-ass, and I'm more than curious enough to keep watching.

So yeah, a bit confusing. I foresee Loads of dirty sex , nakedness and nasty people. But no more so than True Blood, really, and I'm really looking forward to the second episode. And I must say that Lena Headey is a hell of a lot more convincing as the Bitch queen than as Sarah Conner -- even if her dye job could be more convincing Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Game of Thrones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones   Game of Thrones Empty

Back to top Go down

Game of Thrones
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next