Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Things You've Learned from Badfic

Go down 
+108
Eeveegou
Nerdanel
Aspergirl
Dixie
ViewSonic
saja
King Bee
SHGCat
Reidmar
KJM
textrix
Summercorn
Mikey Go WOOGA
PendragonGirl
Un1t 0n3
Knorg
Euglena
beepchoc
fapfapfap
Petronella
Nevvy
Nihilist
tim gueguen
dracowaltztard
Azzandra
Realm Walker
V3N0M
Sutremaine
Lapin
Maximilia
PaganPunk
knightwithoutacause
Freezer
littledorrit
CaptainMcNeil
4shadowedice4
Owlish
Sunatic
Ghost in the Machine
Shubby the Lurkette
GeorgeUK
Cunovendus
neris
Vanilla-villa
Mouse
The Scientist
Quijotesca
Lurv
Cyberwulf
Dr. Quinzel
Reepicheep-chan
Exodia's Right Leg
Shinracentric
Anon
Ya-u
Trioculus
mluckw
gaijinguy
Somath Cegem
Baron Chuddlington III
Sorsa A. Jänis
EileenK98
frostflowers
T.S.Orr
Little Egypt
Korora
Melissa
szaleniec
Kevin M
Cactus Wren
Lembech
Soylent Green
Sheba
AverageLurker
Braigwen
Penguin
Dick Powers
Rabid Badger
quamp
Kitsune-chan
rae
Chocho
myeerah
Roo
Lexin
Dr. Professor Science
Fairlight
anangrychocobo
SirDixonDongs
KGarrett
Keith Fraser
Chaltab
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Sara Jaye
Narwhal
ZoZo
chelonianmobile
Miss Misery
Salamas
karmyn31
Wandering Critic
grmblfjx
kleine_kat
Sakurelf
HurriKaty
Miss Prince
unskilled78
Lady Anne
112 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
AuthorMessage
Nerdanel
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

Things You've Learned from Badfic - Page 19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Things You've Learned from Badfic   Things You've Learned from Badfic - Page 19 EmptyTue Nov 26, 2013 6:14 pm

Mouse wrote:
Nerdanel wrote:

As of 1888, there were slave plantations with black slaves in England. The Scotland Yard chased after runaway slaves with dogs. Abolitionists kept safe houses for the escaped slaves and had an underground railway to, I don't know, Scotland?
Shocked

Are you fucking kidding me?! What fandom is this anyway? Because that is truly fail-tastic.

Things You've Learned from Badfic - Page 19 199471
It's a real fic, and the fandom is Kuroshitsuji. I think I should try to find that fic again, as I think it would provide excellent snarking material. It's a Mary Sue fic too. And yes, the author bragged about her awesome historical accuracy.
Back to top Go down
ViewSonic
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
ViewSonic

PostSubject: Re: Things You've Learned from Badfic   Things You've Learned from Badfic - Page 19 EmptyWed Nov 27, 2013 5:34 am

Nerdanel wrote:
Mouse wrote:
Nerdanel wrote:

As of 1888, there were slave plantations with black slaves in England. The Scotland Yard chased after runaway slaves with dogs. Abolitionists kept safe houses for the escaped slaves and had an underground railway to, I don't know, Scotland?
Shocked

Are you fucking kidding me?! What fandom is this anyway? Because that is truly fail-tastic.

It's a real fic, and the fandom is Kuroshitsuji. I think I should try to find that fic again, as I think it would provide excellent snarking material. It's a Mary Sue fic too. And yes, the author bragged about her awesome historical accuracy.
We have a thread for things like this. It's called the Horrible Histories thread.

It's really terrible, though.
Back to top Go down
Eeveegou
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Eeveegou

PostSubject: Re: Things You've Learned from Badfic   Things You've Learned from Badfic - Page 19 EmptyWed Nov 27, 2013 8:12 am

ViewSonic wrote:
Nerdanel wrote:
Mouse wrote:
Nerdanel wrote:

Shocked

We have a thread for things like this. It's called the Horrible Histories thread.

It's really terrible, though.
Well, you know if schools in the US are still using outdated and bogus curriculum about Christopher Colombus, then sure, build all of the underground railways to Scotland that you want.
Back to top Go down
http://eeveegou.deviantart.com
ViewSonic
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
ViewSonic

PostSubject: Re: Things You've Learned from Badfic   Things You've Learned from Badfic - Page 19 EmptyWed Nov 27, 2013 9:06 am

Hey, Nerdanel. Did the author honest-to-God think that the Underground Railroad was, you know, underground? Or a railroad? Because that would be even more hilarious.
Back to top Go down
King Bee
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
King Bee

PostSubject: Re: Things You've Learned from Badfic   Things You've Learned from Badfic - Page 19 EmptyWed Nov 27, 2013 10:21 am

A girls in living in the 1950s/1960s wore T-shirts, leather jackets, and torn skinny jeans as oppose to blouses, skirts, dresses, and sweater vests.
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Things You've Learned from Badfic   Things You've Learned from Badfic - Page 19 EmptyWed Nov 27, 2013 12:35 pm

ViewSonic wrote:
Hey, Nerdanel. Did the author honest-to-God think that the Underground Railroad was, you know, underground? Or a railroad? Because that would be even more hilarious.
A couple of years ago, one of the students at the high school I work for was doing a project on the Underground Railroad. She was very frustrated with not being able to find any pictures of the tracks. (This is what happens when you download your paper off the Internet instead of doing your own research.)
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Nerdanel
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Things You've Learned from Badfic   Things You've Learned from Badfic - Page 19 EmptyWed Nov 27, 2013 2:00 pm

ViewSonic wrote:
Actually, no. I got the impression that the author had learned about slavery in her American History class just recently, but failed to understand that those old-timey things might not have been the same everywhere in the universe.

Or maybe she thought the Victorian London was in Alabama or something. I don't know.
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Things You've Learned from Badfic   Things You've Learned from Badfic - Page 19 EmptyWed Nov 27, 2013 5:23 pm

Nerdanel wrote:
ViewSonic wrote:
Actually, no. I got the impression that the author had learned about slavery in her American History class just recently, but failed to understand that those old-timey things might not have been the same everywhere in the universe.

Or maybe she thought the Victorian London was in Alabama or something. I don't know.
It would still be History Fail, because slavery was abolished in the U.S. in 1865.
Back to top Go down
Nerdanel
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Things You've Learned from Badfic   Things You've Learned from Badfic - Page 19 EmptyWed Nov 27, 2013 8:07 pm

Lady Anne wrote:
Nerdanel wrote:
It would still be History Fail, because slavery was abolished in the U.S. in 1865.
It could also have been canon research fail. Maybe she didn't realize that her story was taking place in the autumn of 1888 based on the canonical events to which her Mary Sue added herself. As far as I remember, I don't think the exact year was mentioned until quite late in the anime, although since Episode 4 the year would have been easy to figure out with a brief look at Wikipedia. But well, maybe she assumed Jack the Ripper was a fictional character.

(I think the most likely answer is that she was completely ignorant of both 1865 and 1888, among many other things.)
Back to top Go down
Cunovendus
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Cunovendus

PostSubject: Re: Things You've Learned from Badfic   Things You've Learned from Badfic - Page 19 EmptyThu Nov 28, 2013 4:00 am

Lady Anne wrote:
Nerdanel wrote:
ViewSonic wrote:

Maybe she reasoned that it must have taken longer to spread to the rest of the world, especially since the English are all evil. I don't know much about the anime, but is slavery even mentioned in it, at all?

Also, I doubt it would have been called "underground railroad" because we don't say "railroad" in the UK. We never use that term. We call it the "railWAY", we get the "train" to places, and we follow the "rail tracks". Never the "railroad".

In fact, this reminds me of another common thing I've learned from fanfiction: every country in the world uses American spelling and terminology for everything! English cars have "licence plates" (instead of "number plates" or "reg numbers"), we drive on the "highway" (instead of "motorway") and we use "cell phones" (instead of "mobile phones"). Not only that, but uniquely American brand names like "Hot Topic" can be found available everywhere in the world.
Back to top Go down
IsItSafe?

IsItSafe?

PostSubject: Re: Things You've Learned from Badfic   Things You've Learned from Badfic - Page 19 EmptyThu Nov 28, 2013 3:16 pm

Cunovendus wrote:
Lady Anne wrote:
Nerdanel wrote:
ViewSonic wrote:

Maybe she reasoned that it must have taken longer to spread to the rest of the world, especially since the English are all evil. I don't know much about the anime, but is slavery even mentioned in it, at all?

Also, I doubt it would have been called "underground railroad" because we don't say "railroad" in the UK. We never use that term. We call it the "railWAY", we get the "train" to places, and we follow the "rail tracks". Never the "railroad".

In fact, this reminds me of another common thing I've learned from fanfiction: every country in the world uses American spelling and terminology for everything! English cars have "licence plates" (instead of "number plates" or "reg numbers"), we drive on the "highway" (instead of "motorway") and we use "cell phones" (instead of "mobile phones"). Not only that, but uniquely American brand names like "Hot Topic" can be found available everywhere in the world.
This is further complicated by American phrasing becoming more common in English speech. When I hear English people saying "You do the math", I want to rip their kneecaps off.

I did once offer to Anglo-check a Harry Potter fanfiction. To be fair, the writer was actually good and was trying hard on the details - she just came up with a few turns of phrase that no English person would ever use. Badfic writers, on the other hand, will either not bother, or chuck in every random English reference they've ever heard of (secure in their knowledge that everyone in the UK is either a member of the nobility or a cockney sparrow, we all live in London and dress entirely in tweed).
Back to top Go down
Nerdanel
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Things You've Learned from Badfic   Things You've Learned from Badfic - Page 19 EmptyThu Nov 28, 2013 5:18 pm

Cunovendus wrote:
There is indeed slavery in the anime, "The Maiden Tribute of Modern Babylon" style, entirely illegal and very much underground. (The things you can find in stuff classed as shounen...)

By the way, I found the fic in question. It had gained a new chapter, and in that chapter Ciel tells Ndele, our African heroine, that slavery had already been abolished in England. That's an utter and complete retcon, as is the claim in the author notes for that chapter that she had really been meaning for slavery to have been illegal all along. Chapter 1 shows otherwise, with the Scotland Yard officer talking about abolitionists and all.

I've been thinking that I probably should post the fic in New Releases.
Back to top Go down
Raziel the Wise

PostSubject: Re: Things You've Learned from Badfic   Things You've Learned from Badfic - Page 19 EmptySat Nov 30, 2013 6:05 pm

Lady Anne wrote:
Nerdanel wrote:
ViewSonic wrote:

Unless they're convicts.
Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Harley Quinn hyenaholic

PostSubject: Re: Things You've Learned from Badfic   Things You've Learned from Badfic - Page 19 EmptyFri Dec 27, 2013 1:30 pm

When I was writing with my asshole of a co-author I learnt something from him...

* Apparently the unarmed hero has a massive advantage over the asshole who is practiced with a shiv.

No. If you've got a weapon you have a GIGANTIC advantage over anybody unarmed, no matter how shitty your weapon is. Christ, you're punching with your fists, they're punching with their fist full of shiv; who's really going to win?

That guy fucking SUCKS at fight scenes. What the hell happened to tension and getting more development time with the hot nurse because you got injured? Goddamn ass-bandit...
Back to top Go down
https://www.fanfiction.net/~breechloader
Ghost in the Machine
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Ghost in the Machine

PostSubject: Re: Things You've Learned from Badfic   Things You've Learned from Badfic - Page 19 EmptyFri Dec 27, 2013 3:20 pm

Harley Quinn hyenaholic wrote:
If you've got a weapon you have a GIGANTIC advantage over anybody unarmed, no matter how shitty your weapon is. Christ, you're punching with your fists, they're punching with their fist full of shiv; who's really going to win?

Uh... no. Pretty much every form of martial arts that has ever been invented is based on the fact that you can defeat a person with a weapon without having one yourself. It all depends on the relative strengths and skills of those involved.
Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Harley Quinn hyenaholic

PostSubject: Re: Things You've Learned from Badfic   Things You've Learned from Badfic - Page 19 EmptyFri Dec 27, 2013 3:45 pm

Weapon-based martial arts > Unarmed martial arts.

Unarmed - damn good for defence.

Weapon-based - deadly

It pisses me off when the writer equates 'narrow dodging' with battle tension.

Back to top Go down
Ghost in the Machine
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Ghost in the Machine

PostSubject: Re: Things You've Learned from Badfic   Things You've Learned from Badfic - Page 19 EmptyFri Dec 27, 2013 4:07 pm

Weapon-based - deadly

No real argument about that, however, what you actually wrote and what I replied to was this.

If you've got a weapon you have a GIGANTIC advantage over anybody unarmed, no matter how shitty your weapon is.

The advantage only applies if your opponent's skill level is low enough not to compensate for you being armed. It does not apply to 'anybody unarmed', particularly if you don't know how to use the weapon in question. It is not an absolute.
Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Harley Quinn hyenaholic

PostSubject: Re: Things You've Learned from Badfic   Things You've Learned from Badfic - Page 19 EmptyFri Dec 27, 2013 4:54 pm

I guess you're right. However... it was Sonic vs Shadow. They're supposed to be on the same skill level. And the same goes in all badfic - when people are supposed to be on a similar skill level, and somebody suddenly gets a huge power boost JUST because they're the hero.

Thus, in badfic being the Hero makes you stronger than your enemy, regardless of their usual canon strength.
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: Things You've Learned from Badfic   Things You've Learned from Badfic - Page 19 EmptyFri Dec 27, 2013 5:40 pm

Ghost in the Machine wrote:

Weapon-based - deadly

No real argument about that, however, what you actually wrote and what I replied to was this.

If you've got a weapon you have a GIGANTIC advantage over anybody unarmed, no matter how shitty your weapon is.
Actually, what Harley wrote was

Apparently the unarmed hero has a massive advantage over the asshole who is practiced with a shiv.

Practiced is the key word there. Against someone with a knife who knows what they're doing, a skilled defender will get off about three blocks before getting cut. However, if you're "punching with a fistful of shiv" I'm taking you down with gauntlet fall and then stepping on your fingers.
Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Harley Quinn hyenaholic

PostSubject: Re: Things You've Learned from Badfic   Things You've Learned from Badfic - Page 19 EmptyFri Dec 27, 2013 6:28 pm

Thanks for noticing, Cy. I'm not talking about a guy who just picked up a piece of glass off the floor, but the character was supposed to be used to improvised weapons. And my ex-co just had his 'hero' character defend easily, and indeed fight him to a relative draw.

He sucks at writing fights. He also sucks at writing sex because that's as dominant and one-sided as the fights. In fact he sucks at writing any character except for the 'Alpha Male' personality, and even that escalated into obnoxiousness. He can't pace a deep and meaningful relationship; hell, he couldn't pace what should have been an increasingly abusive relationship without blowing off all the worst stuff straight away.

And that's the sort of thing that I've learnt. In badfic, the power of heroism will make battles a breeze for you, and every sexual encounter is equally as awesome as the one before.

I'm so glad I'm rid of him.
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: Things You've Learned from Badfic   Things You've Learned from Badfic - Page 19 EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 8:33 am

Thanks for noticing, Cy. I'm not talking about a guy who just picked up a piece of glass off the floor, but the character was supposed to be used to improvised weapons.
We-ell, define "used to improvised weapons". Had the character ever had any proper training? Someone can be "used to" improvised bladed weapons and still have basically one move - say, an overarm downward stabbing action. That could serve them very well, until they encounter someone who actually knows some martial arts, and then all of a sudden they're on the floor and their knife-arm's being broken.
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Things You've Learned from Badfic   Things You've Learned from Badfic - Page 19 EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 12:47 pm

If a person gets raped, they've been unfaithful to their twu wuv (unless said twu wuv is the rapist; then the rape will make them fall in love).  Rolling Eyes 
Back to top Go down
Eeveegou
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Eeveegou

PostSubject: Re: Things You've Learned from Badfic   Things You've Learned from Badfic - Page 19 EmptyMon Dec 30, 2013 10:37 am

Lady Anne wrote:
If a person gets raped, they've been unfaithful to their twu wuv (unless said twu wuv is the rapist; then the rape will make them fall in love).  Rolling Eyes 

Just like in the Bible.
Back to top Go down
http://eeveegou.deviantart.com
King Bee
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
King Bee

PostSubject: Re: Things You've Learned from Badfic   Things You've Learned from Badfic - Page 19 EmptyMon Dec 30, 2013 4:49 pm

In slash, it's always important to emphasize how much one character is taller than their partner/boyfriend, even if they're only taller by a smidgen or in other cases, are actually the same height.

Last edited by King Bee on Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Things You've Learned from Badfic   Things You've Learned from Badfic - Page 19 EmptyMon Dec 30, 2013 5:25 pm

King Bee wrote:
In slash, it's always important to empathize how much one character is taller than their partner/boyfriend, even if they're only taller by a smidgen or in other cases, are actually the same height.
Empathize? Do you mean emphasize?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Things You've Learned from Badfic   Things You've Learned from Badfic - Page 19 Empty

Back to top Go down

Things You've Learned from Badfic
Page 19 of 20Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next