Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

CNN Wants to Profile White Men for Shootings

Go down 
+22
Jay/Cris
theweirdkind
lemmingwriter
Rabid Badger
Reepicheep-chan
Disco Stu
Cyberwulf
Eeveegou
Hot Cancer
Mr.Doobie
Lady Anne
Penguin
V3N0M
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Owlish
TheHedonist
Cunovendus
bleachedblackcat
grmblfjx
ZOOLANDER
WD40
Mikey Go WOOGA
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

CNN Wants to Profile White Men for Shootings - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: CNN Wants to Profile White Men for Shootings   CNN Wants to Profile White Men for Shootings - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 7:34 pm

V3N0M wrote:
Quote :
cuntbubble

So edgy, your ability to combine random words together has instantly converted me to your thinking.

In all seriousness, did it ever occur to you that an antidepressant that sometimes does the opposite of what it is supposed to do probably SHOULD be banned and replaced?

That's silly. Anti-depressants are ineffective, at least in the sense that placebos are as effective. Depressed people take anti-depressants and remained depressed. You are implying mentally healthy people take anti-depressants and become depressed, which is just silly.
Back to top Go down
Rabid Badger
And This is Why I Need Medication
Rabid Badger

PostSubject: Re: CNN Wants to Profile White Men for Shootings   CNN Wants to Profile White Men for Shootings - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 7:41 pm

Reepicheep-chan wrote:
Every brain drug sometimes does the opposite of what it should do. That is the nature of fucking with brain chemistry.

Drugs are a useful tool for dealing with mental illness, but they are not a cure-all. Lots of people need therapy or extra people monitoring them or whatever else in addition to the drugs.

This. As someone who's been on psychiatric medication for depression and anxiety for a long time, getting the exact combination of drugs is not a precise science. Also, people who are prone to violence due to mental health issues are a whole other kettle of fish. I've suffered from depression for years, but never, even at my worst, have I ever felt the desire to go out and kill people. I'd be more likely kill myself first (I tried a couple of times when I was younger). I wouldn't do it now because I realize how incredibly selfish it is, and I don't want my sons to have to live the rest of their lives with that. People who suffer from schizophrenia or are psychotic need a lot more than drugs; they need monitoring and counseling and therapy. Sadly, due to Bush cutting most of the funding to mental health services, a lot of them can't get it because clinics had to close. The town I live in has 250,000 people, and we've got approximately ONE mental health center. If you have to be hospitalized, they have to send you to either Des Moines or Iowa City. If you're 'stable,' you maybe see the psychiatrist every four months. If you have a crisis, you might just as well find someone to drive you to Iowa City, because there's nothing they can do for you here.

That said, I honestly am not sure that 'profiling' works. Look at John Wayne Gacey. How many young men did he get away with killing before he got caught? He was obviously seriously mentally ill, but he acted perfectly normal, according to those who knew him. Maybe some people really are just evil.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Mr.Doobie

PostSubject: Re: CNN Wants to Profile White Men for Shootings   CNN Wants to Profile White Men for Shootings - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 8:40 pm

V3N0M wrote:
I love how all you do is snark everything without providing an ounce of proof. And how the media seems to be forgetting that our most recent shooter was black (and also on SSRIs)

Maybe if you managed to be convincing instead of just spouting the arguments people like Penn Jillette wins fabulous cash prizes and the admiration of college libertarians debunking we would take you seriously.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: CNN Wants to Profile White Men for Shootings   CNN Wants to Profile White Men for Shootings - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 10:00 pm

Rabid Badger wrote:
Reepicheep-chan wrote:
Every brain drug sometimes does the opposite of what it should do. That is the nature of fucking with brain chemistry.

Drugs are a useful tool for dealing with mental illness, but they are not a cure-all. Lots of people need therapy or extra people monitoring them or whatever else in addition to the drugs.

This. As someone who's been on psychiatric medication for depression and anxiety for a long time, getting the exact combination of drugs is not a precise science. Also, people who are prone to violence due to mental health issues are a whole other kettle of fish. I've suffered from depression for years, but never, even at my worst, have I ever felt the desire to go out and kill people. I'd be more likely kill myself first (I tried a couple of times when I was younger). I wouldn't do it now because I realize how incredibly selfish it is, and I don't want my sons to have to live the rest of their lives with that. People who suffer from schizophrenia or are psychotic need a lot more than drugs; they need monitoring and counseling and therapy. Sadly, due to Bush cutting most of the funding to mental health services, a lot of them can't get it because clinics had to close. The town I live in has 250,000 people, and we've got approximately ONE mental health center. If you have to be hospitalized, they have to send you to either Des Moines or Iowa City. If you're 'stable,' you maybe see the psychiatrist every four months. If you have a crisis, you might just as well find someone to drive you to Iowa City, because there's nothing they can do for you here.

That said, I honestly am not sure that 'profiling' works. Look at John Wayne Gacey. How many young men did he get away with killing before he got caught? He was obviously seriously mentally ill, but he acted perfectly normal, according to those who knew him. Maybe some people really are just evil.

I didn't read what you posted but I'd bet about tree fiddy that it was LONG for no reason, probably involved some bullshit YOU problems, and most likely was completely fucking idiotic.
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: CNN Wants to Profile White Men for Shootings   CNN Wants to Profile White Men for Shootings - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 10:16 pm

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
I didn't read what you posted but I'd bet about tree fiddy that it was LONG for no reason, probably involved some bullshit YOU problems, and most likely was completely fucking idiotic.
WTF is tree fiddy?
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: CNN Wants to Profile White Men for Shootings   CNN Wants to Profile White Men for Shootings - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 10:45 pm

Lady Anne wrote:
Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
WTF is tree fiddy?

What you preheat the oven to.

Back to top Go down
V3N0M
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
V3N0M

PostSubject: Re: CNN Wants to Profile White Men for Shootings   CNN Wants to Profile White Men for Shootings - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 11:11 pm

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
V3N0M wrote:
Quote :
cuntbubble

So edgy, your ability to combine random words together has instantly converted me to your thinking.

In all seriousness, did it ever occur to you that an antidepressant that sometimes does the opposite of what it is supposed to do probably SHOULD be banned and replaced?

That's silly. Anti-depressants are ineffective, at least in the sense that placebos are as effective. Depressed people take anti-depressants and remained depressed. You are implying mentally healthy people take anti-depressants and become depressed, which is just silly.

Well I'm SAYING if you don't need them they either make you emotionally numb or their side effects fuck you up. And and people get conned into taking meds they don't need all the time, how do you think big pharma makes money without developing anything new?
Back to top Go down
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Mr.Doobie

PostSubject: Re: CNN Wants to Profile White Men for Shootings   CNN Wants to Profile White Men for Shootings - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 12:02 am

Quote :
Well I'm SAYING if you don't need them they either make you emotionally numb or their side effects fuck you up. And and people get conned into taking meds they don't need all the time, how do you think big pharma makes money without developing anything new?

Providing a product that people want/need?
Back to top Go down
Rabid Badger
Rabid Badger

PostSubject: Re: CNN Wants to Profile White Men for Shootings   CNN Wants to Profile White Men for Shootings - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 3:03 am

Mr.Doobie wrote:
Quote :

Providing a product that people want/need?

Precisely. There's a difference between people taking medication because they know they have a problem and need help, and people who either refuse to admit they have a problem and won't take medication (my mother, for instance, who suffered from crippling depression her entire life, but believed she could 'pray' it away) or people who are paranoid/schizoid whatever, who refuse to take medication because of their condition. My parents spend the last 20 years of their life living next door to an older woman who had an adult son who suffered fro paranoid schizophrenia. He was okay as long as he stayed on his meds, but periodically, he'd get in a fight with his psychiatrist and decide he didn't need them. You could tell he'd gone off them when he started standing on the curb with a bible preaching to passing cars and hallcuinating that there were 'things' in the trees across the street that were coming to get him. So they'd ship him off to the local mental health facility, get him back on his medication, and he'd be okay for another couple of months till he decided he didn't need the meds any more. Thankfully, he did't have access to guns.

How do you make people like that stay on their medication? Damned if I know. But to say that the pharmaceutical companies are just in it for the money, and that medication doesn't really help anyone is a bit disingenuous. I've had to change meds in the past, and yes, it's a bitch. But I promised myself after my sons were born that they weren't going to grow up with the sort of mother I'd had, that you never knew from one day to the next when you woke up if she'd be there or not (a lot of her psychiatric problems when I was younger precipitated as physical illnesses). You know what it does to you growing up believing that your mom's going to die before you ever get out of junior high school? That's how I grew up. No one in the world was ever more surprised than I was that she lived till I was 30. And I discovered later, in talking to my older siblings, that they'd all grown up the same way. She'd suffered from it her whole damn life, but because she thought she could just 'pray it away' if she tried hard enough, she never got the help she needed. And we kids never knew, when we came home from school, if she'd be up and around and functional, or if she'd be lying on the couch in her nightgown crying. That right there probably played a fairly large part in why I suffer from depression as well. But at least I admitted something was wrong and got help for it. I also spent years in therapy working through the issues that I'd been saddled with. At least I was self-aware enough to know I needed help and get it.
Back to top Go down
ZOOLANDER
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
ZOOLANDER

PostSubject: Re: CNN Wants to Profile White Men for Shootings   CNN Wants to Profile White Men for Shootings - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 3:31 am

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:

Proving you know jack shit about what it's like to be on meds for mental issues. SNRIs/SSRIs don't completely get rid of the problem, no, but they do tone it down to a dull roar, which in the case of suicidal patients can literally mean the difference between life and death.

Rabid Badger wrote:
I've suffered from depression for years, but never, even at my worst, have I ever felt the desire to go out and kill people. I'd be more likely kill myself first (I tried a couple of times when I was younger).

In all seriousness, hugs for Badger from someone who himself battles depression and anxiety and has contemplated suicide in the past. I look back on that from time to time and the horror of what I was thinking - and Gods forbid, planning - is more potent to me now that it was at the time.

Mr.Doobie wrote:
V3N0M wrote:
I love how all you do is snark everything without providing an ounce of proof. And how the media seems to be forgetting that our most recent shooter was black (and also on SSRIs)

Maybe if you managed to be convincing instead of just spouting the arguments people like Penn Jillette wins fabulous cash prizes and the admiration of college libertarians debunking we would take you seriously.

Doobie: Your sentence made absolutely no sense whatsoever. Please rewrite it for the sake of what little sanity I have left.
V3NOM: I'm trying not to take any notice of you, but this needs to be addressed: as Reep said, drugs aren't the only thing some people need. The shooter in all likelihood needed more than just meds and didn't get it. I'm lucky to just need meds.

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:

You lose, moron.

V3N0M wrote:

Who died and made you the arbiter of who needs or doesn't need meds? Doctors and pharmacists exist for a reason, and not all of them are sucking pharma company dick.
Back to top Go down
Disco Stu
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Disco Stu

PostSubject: Re: CNN Wants to Profile White Men for Shootings   CNN Wants to Profile White Men for Shootings - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 6:01 am

Going to my first ever therapy session tomorrow, hope the best for me that this person isn't gonna be a dick and it's gonna be cherry
Back to top Go down
bleachedblackcat
bleachedblackcat

PostSubject: Re: CNN Wants to Profile White Men for Shootings   CNN Wants to Profile White Men for Shootings - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 10:51 am

Quote :

Oh, oh! I also did a semester of this in college! And it's true! If you count 'giving drugs that people don't need' to mean 'drugs that people beg and beg for that are usually things to make their sex lives better.' Or are you talking about how doctors are humans and sometimes think you have something that you don't?
Back to top Go down
lemmingwriter
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: CNN Wants to Profile White Men for Shootings   CNN Wants to Profile White Men for Shootings - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 2:18 pm

Disco Stu wrote:
Going to my first ever therapy session tomorrow, hope the best for me that this person isn't gonna be a dick and it's gonna be cherry

Good luck. And, much like with medications, sometimes you may need to "adjust" doctors if you don't click. So if you give it time and it doesn't feel like it's working right, see if you can see someone else. I do hope it goes well for you, but I figured I'd give you advice I didn't get until I got saddled long-term with an asshole who told me that I should just "get over" the horrific flashbacks and depression caused by my medical history. Took a few tries before I eventually got someone who worked okay with me and respected my "no pills as a first resort" policy.
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: CNN Wants to Profile White Men for Shootings   CNN Wants to Profile White Men for Shootings - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 2:23 pm

so like i think something else to keep in mind is that there's a difference between mental illness which produces/results in an altered state of consciousness e.g. schizophrenia, depression, psychosis etc and other condtions like psychopathy and sadism where the person appears to be wired differently (complete lack of empathy, sexually aroused by violence etc.) to "normals" and the jury's still out as to whether there's a biological/genetic cause or if it's down to nurture and whether people like that can be helped

also don't forget that some people are just angry jerks who think that nobody cares about them and their (petty) problems so why should they care about anyone else, hell shoot all those fuckers and make the world sorry they ignored me etc

all those men who murder their wives/girlfriends/children because "that bitch isn't leaving me (and taking the kids) i'll kill us all first" are not all mentally ill, sorry
Back to top Go down
Rabid Badger
Rabid Badger

PostSubject: Re: CNN Wants to Profile White Men for Shootings   CNN Wants to Profile White Men for Shootings - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 5:18 pm

Hugs back to Xero. Yeah, I shudder to think what I almost did to myself, my family, and most importantly, my sons. Thankfully, my oldest sister saw what was happening and made sure I got help. Because my mom certainly would have never suggested anything but that I was just a rotten mother. I found out, years later, that she'd suffered from post-partum depressions so bad that my dad would actually take all the knives and sharp instruments in the house to work with him, because she apparently threatened to kill herself more than once. I realize now that she had a miserable childhood and led a miserable life, having been born in an era when admitting you had any sort of emotional problems was enough to get you locked in the attic for the rest of your life.

And thanks toWulf for bringing up psychopaths and sociopaths. They're honestly are people who are born with no empathy towards others, and the only thing that will stop them from killing and making people's lives miserable is to lock them up. Trust me, I worked in a psychiatric practice for years, and like pedophiles, who refuse to admit there's anything wrong with them and blame it all on their victims. They truly believe that no one in the world is important except them and what THEY want. You can't help them, because they don't view themselves as being wrong. It's the rest of the world that's screwed up, not them.
Back to top Go down
V3N0M
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
V3N0M

PostSubject: Re: CNN Wants to Profile White Men for Shootings   CNN Wants to Profile White Men for Shootings - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Quote :

Who died and made you the arbiter of who needs or doesn't need meds? Doctors and pharmacists exist for a reason, and not all of them are sucking pharma company dick.
Xerro you picked the only person here who doesn't think they're exactly that. Also keep in mind most people who decide to become doctors do it for the money and the letters after their names.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: CNN Wants to Profile White Men for Shootings   CNN Wants to Profile White Men for Shootings - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 7:25 pm

Rabby wrote:
Hugs back to Xero. Yeah, I shudder to think what I almost did to myself, my family, and most importantly, my sons.

Yes, but think what you're doing to us by continuing your tl;dr life.

V3N0M wrote:
Also keep in mind most people who decide to become doctors do it for the money and the letters after their names.

Recent studies show that people are willing to do stuff for respect and money. We'll have the details, tonight at 11.
Back to top Go down
theweirdkind
Bastion of Sanity
Bastion of Sanity
theweirdkind

PostSubject: Re: CNN Wants to Profile White Men for Shootings   CNN Wants to Profile White Men for Shootings - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 10:44 pm

Penguin wrote:
Lady Anne wrote:
Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
WTF is tree fiddy?

What you preheat the oven to.

Back to top Go down
ZOOLANDER
ZOOLANDER

PostSubject: Re: CNN Wants to Profile White Men for Shootings   CNN Wants to Profile White Men for Shootings - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 7:45 pm

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Rabby wrote:
Hugs back to Xero. Yeah, I shudder to think what I almost did to myself, my family, and most importantly, my sons.

Yes, but think what you're doing to us by continuing your tl;dr life.

Mikey, come on, man. Was that really necessary? We're actually having a serious discussion about mental illness here, a little less shittiness from you plz kthnxbai.
Back to top Go down
Rabid Badger
Rabid Badger

PostSubject: Re: CNN Wants to Profile White Men for Shootings   CNN Wants to Profile White Men for Shootings - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 11:09 pm

Son't sweat it, Xero. That's why I have Mikey on my ignore list. He knows this, but he keeps posting anyway because he apparently believes I care about his opinion.

Back to top Go down
V3N0M
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
V3N0M

PostSubject: Re: CNN Wants to Profile White Men for Shootings   CNN Wants to Profile White Men for Shootings - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 11:11 pm

You cared enough to block him and to tell us you blocked him. Enjoy your butthurt.
Back to top Go down
Rabid Badger
Rabid Badger

PostSubject: Re: CNN Wants to Profile White Men for Shootings   CNN Wants to Profile White Men for Shootings - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 11:19 pm

V3NOM, he's known he's been blocked for going on a year or longer. And he's STILL posting. I wouldn't even know what he was saying if other people didn't keep quoting him. It's not like I can block everyone.
Back to top Go down
Jay/Cris
The Word Police
The Word Police
Jay/Cris

PostSubject: Re: CNN Wants to Profile White Men for Shootings   CNN Wants to Profile White Men for Shootings - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 2:48 am

Rabid Badger wrote:
V3NOM, he's known he's been blocked for going on a year or longer. And he's STILL posting. I wouldn't even know what he was saying if other people didn't keep quoting him. It's not like I can block everyone.

Hold the phone.

What?

Are you for real right now? Did you really think that Mikey would go away if you blocked him? You do realize Mikey has a bigger fanbase than you do, right? Secondly, now it's the fault of the board's entire membership that you're still bothered by Mikey, simply because you absolutely and adamantly refuse to take him with a grain of salt when he addresses you? And really, the way you go on and on and on about how you've blocked Mikey, seriously, that is like waving a red flag in front of a bull. You realize you're the one who can't handle him, right, not the other way around, right? Sure, blocking somebody is your own prerogative, but stop treating it as some sort of moral victory, because it's not: you felt the need to shut up an opposing voice because you couldn't handle what he was telling you, which is dangerously close to the standard don't like, don't read-argument.

So, for the love of God, if you want to ignore Mikey? Actually ignore Mikey, instead of telling us how you're ignoring Mikey while addressing him. Also, stop blaming the board for the fact that you take yourself so absurdly seriously. We're not here to cater to your needs.

For fuck's sake.
Back to top Go down
http://www.crisiks.livejournal.com
ZOOLANDER
ZOOLANDER

PostSubject: Re: CNN Wants to Profile White Men for Shootings   CNN Wants to Profile White Men for Shootings - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 6:28 am

J/C: Shut up, bitch. Gardner's beard, you're like a yappy little dog that needs to be kicked.

Badger: I haven't blocked Mikey because he has a certain brand of humour that makes me like him. Normally I don't care about Mikey being a massive tool, but we were trying to have a serious discussion about something that affects us in a very deep and personal manner and he's just shitting all over it. Don't worry, though, I already got my revenge on him in Antidotes.

Anyway... you neglected to mention mentally ill folk who don't reliably take their meds and take their various dysfunctions out on other people, like an asshole neighbour in my tenement who was recently evicted after a long battle to get rid of him. He was paranoid schizophrenic which wouldn't have been so bad if it was just that problem, but he was a complete dick to everyone around him when he was off his meds: accusing people of stealing his mail, filing restraining orders against anyone who even looked at him the wrong way, threatening to sic local biker gangs on people, hammering nails into the walls at odd hours... it was fucking madness (in every sense!) and it did my anxiety no favours. People like that deserve no mercy. Drugs, straitjackets, padded rooms, whatever, just keep him away from me!
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: CNN Wants to Profile White Men for Shootings   CNN Wants to Profile White Men for Shootings - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 8:27 am

Rabid Badger wrote:
I think V3NOM is Mikey's sock puppet. Or at least is trying to imitate him.

I used to have Mikey blocked, but I kept unblocking his posts to see what BS he'd come up with. Finally, I decided he was lolworthy and unblocked him.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CNN Wants to Profile White Men for Shootings   CNN Wants to Profile White Men for Shootings - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

CNN Wants to Profile White Men for Shootings
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next