Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mass Effect 3

Go down 
+11
Aggie
Braigwen
Wolf
gaijinguy
Electron Blue
Exodia's Right Leg
WD40
Mikey Go WOOGA
SlyChild
Hadiya Tannous
Somath Cegem
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Electron Blue
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Electron Blue

Mass Effect 3 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect 3   Mass Effect 3 - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 7:25 am

Note that they don't say "change", they say "clarify." Meaning that they still aren't seeing how horrible that ending failed on every level, besides simply not giving closure. Meaning this will probably be a monstrosity.
But hey, free shit.
Back to top Go down
WD40
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
WD40

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect 3   Mass Effect 3 - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 7:42 am

Electron Blue wrote:
Note that they don't say "change", they say "clarify." Meaning that they still aren't seeing how horrible that ending failed on every level, besides simply not giving closure. Meaning this will probably be a monstrosity.
But hey, free shit.

I dunno. It was certainly the lack of closure and exploration of the ongoing consequences of Shepard's final actions that got me (Now I've actually played through and seen the thing properly)

I wanted to know how the Quarians relationship with the Geth continued. I wanted to see how curing the genophage affected the future of the race. I wanted to see if Miranda's sister settled down okay.

I'm actually fine with the "A,B or C" choice mechanic - I don't think anyone really thought that Shepard will just kill the Reapers plain and simple, nor, I reckon, did anyone think that Shepard would live to see it all. I'm even okay with God being a 6-year old kid.

What I'm not okay with is not finding out if James ever manages to join N7, or if Kaidan meets up with his old students.

[edit] As for the Mass Relays Go Boom Big Time argument - I'll even let that slide. Unlike Arrival, these mass relays self-destructed deliberately, following a command from the crucible. They were not smashed to oblivion by an asteroid twice the size as they are, which also happened to have in it an over-reacting fusion generator of its own.
Back to top Go down
Electron Blue
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Electron Blue

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect 3   Mass Effect 3 - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 7:51 am

My problem was mostly that everything the spacegodchild said was utter bullshit.
"the created will always rebel against their creators" uhhuh yep those rebellious geth always starting those conflicts
space-magic in the Synthesis ending and Control ending
no explanation for how the Crucible works
"Solving Chaos" like this is the theme of the series

Like, I don't mind the idea of Shepard dying. I think it's appropriate. But the choice didn't need to be presented. If the Crucible was just a big fuckoff space-cannon, I'd be fine with the game. It's the attempt to turn into myth and space-magic that bugs me, because it's so clearly out-of-tone with the rest of the series.
e: also destroying the Mass Relays is dumb. because the krogan will eat everyone.
Back to top Go down
WD40
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
WD40

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect 3   Mass Effect 3 - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 8:07 am

Your observation that spacegod's argument is bullshit is very correct... And I think that's the point.

Spacegod wanted to control chaos (That's daft in itself) because they believed that synthetic life would eventually destroy all organic life. So they created a race of synthetic creatures that would wipe out all organic life before they could create a universe-dominating synthetic life-form.

Spacegod became a self-fulfilling prophesy. And I think he knew it - Hence his request for a new solution.

The control ending is no more bizzare than the destruction ending IMHO. In one, the crucible sends out an auto-destruct command to the Reapers, in the other the Crucible sends a "Here's a new set of commands" signal.

I've not seen the syntheses ending. But, you're right, that one does seem like magic... Mind you no one really knows that the Crucible and the Citadel can and can't do, so even then I'll be willing to let some bits slide.

And it's not as though destroying the Mass Relays negates all possible continuing transport... FTL Drives exist, it is still possible to ravel from system to system, it'll just not be instantaneous any more. That might actually help some areas.

But, yeah... The Krogans are a problem. Especially if the genophage was cured. WHICH IS WHY WE WANT CLOSURE DAMMIT!!!
Back to top Go down
Braigwen
Why yes, I am a Rocket Scientist!
Braigwen

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect 3   Mass Effect 3 - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 12:48 pm

WD40 wrote:
Did we win?

Quote :
Electronic Arts Inc. announced Mass Effect™ 3: Extended Cut, a downloadable content pack that will expand upon the events at the end of the critically acclaimed Action RPG. Through additional cinematic sequences and epilogue scenes, the Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut will give fans seeking further clarity to the ending of Mass Effect 3 deeper insights into how their personal journey concludes. Coming this summer, the Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut will be available for download on the Xbox 360® videogame and entertainment system, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and PC for no extra charge*.

Bit that got me:

Quote :
for no extra charge

Yes, and no.

But we will see when the DLC comes out. They might have had the whole ending already to be made but decided to troll the entire gaming world for shits and giggles. I still think they're going to go with Indoctrination. That would be awesome because not only did the Celestial Crotch Dumpling trick Shepard, he tricked the majority of the people who played that game.

But I don't expect much since the rEApers got a hold of Bioware. Just one more company they're leading out to the ditch after milking them like the cash cow they are before shooting them in the head.
Back to top Go down
Exodia's Right Leg
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Exodia's Right Leg

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect 3   Mass Effect 3 - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 3:48 pm

Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut? More like Mass Effect 3: Actually Finished Cut.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect 3   Mass Effect 3 - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 6:44 pm

On one hand, the ending doesn't need "explaining," it needs to be rewritten completely. At least everything from the Magical Sky Fairy onward. On the other hand, it's free, so I can't be too pissed off at whatever they do come up with.

As for Shepard dying, it shouldn't be set in stone that he dies. There should be an ending where Shepard is obviously alive and gets to live on floating across the galaxy pushing people out of windows. Granted, having Shepard live might cause someone else to die (like if you dumped someone after romancing them in games 1 or 2, they die in order for Shepard to live, or Anderson dies, or something). There should also be a point where you didn't prepare properly and Shepard dies no matter what. It might even not take a concentrated effort to do this like in ME2.

For a series that prided itself on your decisions resulting in multiple possible consequences and endings and what not, it was completely on the fucking rails from the Cerberus base up until the most literal Deus Ex Machina in gaming history gives you a shoehorned choice between three options, one of which makes absolutely no sense.
Back to top Go down
Aggie
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Aggie

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect 3   Mass Effect 3 - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 9:11 pm

On another note, they completely lied about multiplayer not being required to get the "best" ending*. There are not enough war assets to be gained in the single player mode to be able to achieve a specific clip at the very end.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Electron Blue
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Electron Blue

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect 3   Mass Effect 3 - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 8:00 am

WD40 wrote:
Your observation that spacegod's argument is bullshit is very correct... And I think that's the point.

Spacegod wanted to control chaos (That's daft in itself) because they believed that synthetic life would eventually destroy all organic life. So they created a race of synthetic creatures that would wipe out all organic life before they could create a universe-dominating synthetic life-form.

Spacegod became a self-fulfilling prophesy. And I think he knew it - Hence his request for a new solution.

The control ending is no more bizzare than the destruction ending IMHO. In one, the crucible sends out an auto-destruct command to the Reapers, in the other the Crucible sends a "Here's a new set of commands" signal.

I've not seen the syntheses ending. But, you're right, that one does seem like magic... Mind you no one really knows that the Crucible and the Citadel can and can't do, so even then I'll be willing to let some bits slide.

And it's not as though destroying the Mass Relays negates all possible continuing transport... FTL Drives exist, it is still possible to ravel from system to system, it'll just not be instantaneous any more. That might actually help some areas.

But, yeah... The Krogans are a problem. Especially if the genophage was cured. WHICH IS WHY WE WANT CLOSURE DAMMIT!!!
So wait...it is bullshit and that's the point. So why is that good? Like, why should I be happy about an ending that relies entirely on bullshit???? Just because it's intentional doesn't mean it's not stupid.
Back to top Go down
Exodia's Right Leg
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Exodia's Right Leg

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect 3   Mass Effect 3 - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 7:23 am

Quote :
Spacegod wanted to control chaos (That's daft in itself) because they believed that synthetic life would eventually destroy all organic life.
Quote :
So they created a race of synthetic creatures that would wipe out all organic life before they could create a universe-dominating synthetic life-form.
This is beyond retarded.

We're talking a level of hurf durf that would make a Final Fantasy villain facepalm.
Back to top Go down
Electron Blue
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Electron Blue

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect 3   Mass Effect 3 - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 4:20 pm

Exodia's Right Leg wrote:
Quote :
Spacegod wanted to control chaos (That's daft in itself) because they believed that synthetic life would eventually destroy all organic life.
Quote :
So they created a race of synthetic creatures that would wipe out all organic life before they could create a universe-dominating synthetic life-form.
This is beyond retarded.

We're talking a level of hurf durf that would make a Final Fantasy villain facepalm.
Pretty much yeah. ME3 ends like they hired some kid from DeviantArt who thought they were really deep and good at symbolism and etc. to write the ending to a pretty good sci-fi series.
so like the ending of 99% of sci-fi, then.
Back to top Go down
Braigwen
Braigwen

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect 3   Mass Effect 3 - Page 2 EmptyThu May 03, 2012 9:56 pm

Electron Blue wrote:
Exodia's Right Leg wrote:
Quote :
Quote :
This is beyond retarded.

Pretty much yeah. ME3 ends like they hired some kid from DeviantArt who thought they were really deep and good at symbolism and etc. to write the ending to a pretty good sci-fi series.
so like the ending of 99% of sci-fi, then.

Not to mention they threw out the subplot dealing with Dark Energy and it's apparent destruction of entire stars. Dholen, Logan and others were aging at an accelerated rate because of Dark Energy screwing with their cores. How could they just drop that huge subplot?

Of course, Drew Kapisharn(sp?) wasn't anywhere near ME3 and he was the main one who came up with the awesome lore and the whole Dark Energy thing in the first place.

Bioware aught to slap the two writers who railroaded the stupid plot and then demote them for a month to mail-clerks. Seriously.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect 3   Mass Effect 3 - Page 2 EmptyFri May 04, 2012 9:39 pm

The ending was garbage.

Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect 3   Mass Effect 3 - Page 2 EmptySat May 05, 2012 8:18 pm

That Video wrote:
James Vega forgot how to do pullops, and his lats never got a good pump again for the rest of his life

Excuse me, I've got something in my eye. Mass Effect 3 - Page 2 309696
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect 3   Mass Effect 3 - Page 2 EmptyThu May 17, 2012 12:55 am

Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect 3   Mass Effect 3 - Page 2 EmptyWed May 23, 2012 12:18 am

Other nitpicky things that aren't necessarily important but I'm anal.

When and how did TIM get indoctrinated? He obviously wasn't indoctrinated at the beginning of ME2, there is no conceivable reason for him to revive Shepard if he was. You could say that sending Shepard to Horizon, and onto a Collector ship, and onto a goddamn Reaper were attempts to kill him resulting from indoctrination. But the Reapers are usually FAR too smart to try to kill Shepard in a manner that puts him in a perfect position to foil their plans.

Plus, TIM knows about indoctrination, he's also a goddamn Chess master. Even though Cerberus would obviously attempt to study Reaper tech, he'd be almost paranoid about putting himself in a position to be indoctrinated.

ALSO, how is Shepard not indoctrinated? He walked through the labs at Virmire, he chatted with Sovereign, he was actually inside the Reaper that indoctrinated the Cerberus scientists, and has otherwise been waste deep in Reaper bits for three games. And he suffered no ill effects, even though Rana Thanoptis went insane and attacked C-Sex even though she never showed signs of indoctrination and didn't work at Virmire for long.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect 3   Mass Effect 3 - Page 2 EmptyWed May 23, 2012 2:50 am

TIM has been indoctrinated since before ME1, just after the First Contact War. They make it quite clear in his origin story comic; contact with an ancient Reaper artifact turns one of his friends into a husk-like cultist. Thinking it was killing him, the guy who'd become the Illusive Man tried to pull him away, got knocked the hell out, and woke up with glowy eyes, a mysterious ability to understand asari without a translator, and could sense another artifact across space on Palaven.

Remember, Reaper indoctrination works differently depending on the intelligence, strength of will, and usefulness of the person being indoctrinated. It doesn't have to make people like the Reapers; Saren thought for sure that he was doing the right thing by serving them, but he thought it was the only option. TIM wants to protect everyone from the Reapers as well, but he thought he could take control of at least their technology, and in the end, the Reapers themselves. Remember, the argument between him and Shepard at the end of ME2 is whether or not to preserve the collector base. Why? There isn't anything terribly useful to anyone who doesn't want to make people soup, but for some reasaon TIM thinks it's incredibly valuable.

Similarly, if you believe Indoctrination Theory, Shepard is indoctrinated. The Reapers haven't taken control of him yet, but they've established a foothold in his mind. The ending is a lie and choosing anything but Red/Destroy is giving into them, completing Shepard's indoctrination.

However, the ending is so amazingly shitty that if Indoctrination Theory is right, it's not even a real ending, and if it's wrong... well, it's just plain shit. If it's wrong, it also means the answer to "why isn't Shepard indoctrinated?"becomes BECAUSE HE'S THE PROTAGONIST LOLOLOL

I mean, the whole thing is such a trainwreck. Since it's been confirmed that Shepard doesn't have any new lines in the Extended Cut, and they're only adding some lines from Kaidan (probably Ashley too), EDI and Hackett... I really, really doubt it's going to make any more sense.

They should've had some fucking integrity, admit they fucked up, and at least had the balls to do what Bethsoft did with Fallout 3 and release DLC that actually fixed their retarded ending. Instead, they defended shitty, lazy, objectively terrible writing and tried to hide behind ärtistic integrity" by showing the exact opposite.

Back to top Go down
Braigwen
Braigwen

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect 3   Mass Effect 3 - Page 2 EmptyWed May 23, 2012 2:41 pm

The eyes have it. If you look closely, you will see that Shepard gets those same eyes when you pick either Control or Synthesis.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect 3   Mass Effect 3 - Page 2 EmptyWed May 23, 2012 7:40 pm

Quote :
I mean, the whole thing is such a trainwreck. Since it's been confirmed that Shepard doesn't have any new lines in the Extended Cut, and they're only adding some lines from Kaidan (probably Ashley too), EDI and Hackett...

Players: The ending was a complete shitshow and needs to be scrapped an redone.

Bioware: What's that you say, you want an almost ancillary character to be given lines to clarify the ending? Gotcha.

Players: Screw it, I'm going to play some Skyrim.
Back to top Go down
Aggie
Aggie

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect 3   Mass Effect 3 - Page 2 EmptyWed May 23, 2012 7:41 pm

Braigwen wrote:
The eyes have it. If you look closely, you will see that Shepard gets those same eyes when you pick either Control or Synthesis.

Indeed. That is why doing anything other than destroying them is pretty much a You Win! for the Reapers.

ETA: Did Mikey just break the table?
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect 3   Mass Effect 3 - Page 2 EmptyWed May 23, 2012 9:21 pm

Oh, and apparently Garrus will get some more lines, too.

Here's my prediction for Extended Cut:

There will be little if any new footage, since they've said they're not going to change the ending. The actors are probably going to have some lines depending on which ending you choose that don't actually explain anything, they just reiterate what StarChild said would happen.

Bioware will find an offensively smug yet diplomatic way to say THERE, YA HAPPY?!

Nobody will be, but Bioware will not have learned anything.
Back to top Go down
Aggie
Aggie

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect 3   Mass Effect 3 - Page 2 EmptyWed May 23, 2012 10:35 pm

Sounds about right, Penguin.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect 3   Mass Effect 3 - Page 2 EmptyWed May 23, 2012 11:06 pm

Penguin wrote:
Oh, and apparently Garrus will get some more lines, too.

Here's my prediction for Extended Cut:

There will be little if any new footage, since they've said they're not going to change the ending. The actors are probably going to have some lines depending on which ending you choose that don't actually explain anything, they just reiterate what StarChild said would happen.

Bioware will find an offensively smug yet diplomatic way to say THERE, YA HAPPY?!

Nobody will be, but Bioware will not have learned anything.

Something along the lines of "As a result of fans' disappointment in the ending of Mass Effect 3, we have made and released an extended cut that elaborates on the magnificent but vague ending. We hope this adequately shuts up pleases the fans. You're welcome."
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect 3   Mass Effect 3 - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 12:35 am

HAHA, TIME FOR DOUBLE POST

Now that I replay it, Shepard couldn't have been indoctrinated, at least not before Thessia. The Prothean VI he was talking to shut down when it detected the "indoctrinated presence" of Kai Leng. If Shepard was indoctrinated at that point, it presumably would have refused to talk to him.
Back to top Go down
Braigwen
Braigwen

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect 3   Mass Effect 3 - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 12:38 am

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
HAHA, TIME FOR DOUBLE POST

Now that I replay it, Shepard couldn't have been indoctrinated, at least not before Thessia. The Prothean VI he was talking to shut down when it detected the "indoctrinated presence" of Kai Leng. If Shepard was indoctrinated at that point, it presumably would have refused to talk to him.

I don't think so either. Harbinger was right there, concentrating on Shepard at close range. He was pouring his all in a last ditch effort to gain control over Shepard. That's how I see it at least.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect 3   Mass Effect 3 - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Mass Effect 3
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next