Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mother-to-be deemed 'too stupid' to raise child or marry fiance

Go down 
+32
grmblfjx
Azzandra
KelinciHutan
Hot Cancer
Snoof
Waffles
Baron Chuddlington III
TheHedonist
bleachedblackcat
theweirdkind
Sloth
vade
Root Admin
VB
Zeiss Manifold
Delcat
Wandering Critic
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
EileenK98
Rabid Badger
Cyberwulf
Mikey Go WOOGA
Psy-4
Sorsa A. Jänis
TheHermit
Thanos6
Theaphelia
unskilled78
Mr.Doobie
Mafiosa
Lady Anne
Malganis
36 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Malganis
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Malganis

Mother-to-be deemed 'too stupid' to raise child or marry fiance Empty
PostSubject: Mother-to-be deemed 'too stupid' to raise child or marry fiance   Mother-to-be deemed 'too stupid' to raise child or marry fiance EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 12:30 pm

The link.

Quote :
Kerry Robertson, 17, who has mild learning difficulties, has been told that
she will not be allowed to bring up her own child, who she has already named
Ben.

Last month Miss Robertson was prevented from marrying her fiancé Mark
McDougall, 25, after council officials claimed that she “did not understand
the implications of getting married”.

She has now been warned that she will only be allowed a few hours with her
baby, which is due in January, before it is taken into foster care.
Crying or Very sad

Quote :
After hearing the news, Miss Robertson, of Dunfermline, Fife, who is 26 weeks
pregnant, said: “I couldn't believe it. I am so upset – I can't stop
crying.”

Mr McDougall, an artist, said he wants to take on full responsibility for his
son but claims that he is powerless because he is not married to Miss
Robertson.

He added: “Social Services are ruining our lives. As we are not married –
because social workers would not let us marry – it seems I have no rights as
a dad at all.

“Kerry's gran is trying to apply for custody of Ben but social services have
already told us it is unlikely she will be successful. We feel helpless.”

The extraordinary case first came to light last month when the couple’s
wedding was halted 48 hours before Miss Robertson was due to walk up the
aisle.
Just let the poor couple marry, for goodness's sake! They've already had a child together; why not let them be married and formalize whatever commitments they've already made to each other?
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Mother-to-be deemed 'too stupid' to raise child or marry fiance   Mother-to-be deemed 'too stupid' to raise child or marry fiance EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 12:37 pm

This...there are no words.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Mafiosa
You crack me up, little buddy!

PostSubject: Re: Mother-to-be deemed 'too stupid' to raise child or marry fiance   Mother-to-be deemed 'too stupid' to raise child or marry fiance EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 12:54 pm

...When. When did social services get to decide who breeds and marries and who doesn't?

I just. What?
Back to top Go down
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Mr.Doobie

PostSubject: Re: Mother-to-be deemed 'too stupid' to raise child or marry fiance   Mother-to-be deemed 'too stupid' to raise child or marry fiance EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 1:16 pm

*reads article*

Well, Malganis, still the reigning Queen of awful news, I see.
Back to top Go down
unskilled78
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Mother-to-be deemed 'too stupid' to raise child or marry fiance   Mother-to-be deemed 'too stupid' to raise child or marry fiance EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 3:14 pm

You really wonder how someone could hope to get away with something so cruel-sounding and hackle-raising with todays world-wide-web of easy "compassion."

Last edited by unskilled78 on Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Theaphelia
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Theaphelia

PostSubject: Re: Mother-to-be deemed 'too stupid' to raise child or marry fiance   Mother-to-be deemed 'too stupid' to raise child or marry fiance EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 3:56 pm

Oh seriously fuck social services. This is the same social services who would deny a struggling family food stamps if they make something like $100 over the cutoff limit, would gladly reunite a child with their drug-addicted prostitute neglectful mother if she makes false promises to be good, and try to refuse custody of a child to obviously caring grandparents because of some stupid misdemeanor charges against one of them that were DROPPED THIRTY YEARS AGO. And then they'll sit there with their stony fucking faces while you cry and beg for them to do something, then claim they're doing "what's best for the child."

TL;DR: Social services are a bunch of insensitive fucknuggets who I'm pretty sure get off on people's suffering.
Back to top Go down
Thanos6
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Thanos6

PostSubject: Re: Mother-to-be deemed 'too stupid' to raise child or marry fiance   Mother-to-be deemed 'too stupid' to raise child or marry fiance EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 3:58 pm

...is it wrong that I might agree with this if I knew how bad her learning difficulties were?
Back to top Go down
Malganis
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Malganis

PostSubject: Re: Mother-to-be deemed 'too stupid' to raise child or marry fiance   Mother-to-be deemed 'too stupid' to raise child or marry fiance EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 4:17 pm

Thanos6 wrote:
...is it wrong that I might agree with this if I knew how bad her learning difficulties were?

Well, she had consensual sex with her boyfriend/fiance, and apparently no one has charged him with statutory rape on the grounds that she could not consent to sex due to her alleged disabilities.

Where is the social services department getting this diagnosis of 'learning difficulties' from, anyway, and is it an unbiased source? Is it more than one source? Sometimes people are tagged as having learning difficulties when they have nothing of the sort.

What do they mean by 'learning difficulties', because the article is using it in a very vague way. What was/is she having trouble learning?

This just comes off to me as some bureaucratic asshole(s) fucking around with this couple, because they can/feel like they 'should', like the racist judge who refused to marry the mixed-race couple here in America.

Last edited by Malganis on Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TheHermit
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
TheHermit

PostSubject: Re: Mother-to-be deemed 'too stupid' to raise child or marry fiance   Mother-to-be deemed 'too stupid' to raise child or marry fiance EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 4:24 pm

I wonder how many of the people posting their sympathies in this thread are the same sort that thinks procreation should require a license.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sorsa A. Jänis
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Sorsa A. Jänis

PostSubject: Re: Mother-to-be deemed 'too stupid' to raise child or marry fiance   Mother-to-be deemed 'too stupid' to raise child or marry fiance EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 4:43 pm

I have ADHD and dyslexia. My brother has them too just worse than mine. Does this mean that I'm not qualified to marry a person? Does this mean that my brother isn't qualified to marry a person?

Having learning disability doesn't mean you're a RETARD who needs custody and who wouldn't survive in real life.
Back to top Go down
http://sunbeamattack.deviantart.com/
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Mother-to-be deemed 'too stupid' to raise child or marry fiance   Mother-to-be deemed 'too stupid' to raise child or marry fiance EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 5:45 pm

Sorsa A. Jänis wrote:
I have ADHD and dyslexia. My brother has them too just worse than mine. Does this mean that I'm not qualified to marry a person? Does this mean that my brother isn't qualified to marry a person?

Having learning disability doesn't mean you're a RETARD who needs custody and who wouldn't survive in real life.
This. A learning disability does not make a person unable to have a successful marriage or raise children (and not having a learning disability doesn't necessarily make a person able to maintain a marriage or raise children). I've known people who are mildly retarded who were able to marry and raise children successfully.

I would like to know more about this case. What do they mean by learning difficulties? Learning difficulties can run the gamut from not being able to figure out calculus to being so disabled that the person in question has to be taught to use silverware over again every day (yes, I've seen both extremes).
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Psy-4
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction

PostSubject: Re: Mother-to-be deemed 'too stupid' to raise child or marry fiance   Mother-to-be deemed 'too stupid' to raise child or marry fiance EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 6:28 pm

TheHermit wrote:
I wonder how many of the people posting their sympathies in this thread are the same sort that thinks procreation should require a license.
I can see how you might think it's ironic to express sympathies to the targets of procreation regulation, while at the same time believing that procreation should be regulated.

Unfortunately, you are mistaken, and here's why - by no one's(except idiots) standards in this thread does 'mild learning disability' qualify as a valid reason to deprive someone of a child.

If she was a dangerous schizophrenic with high potential to go nuts and kill her child or something equally severe, then yes, it would be best to take away the child into someone else's more capable hands. And even before that, the mother and the father have to be proven incapable.

As far as I recall, I was the only one to actually state what getting a license should entail; and I think that if procreation needs outside(not father and mother) regulation, then it better damn have good justification to do so.

Last edited by Psy-4 on Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Account for loose variables)
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Mother-to-be deemed 'too stupid' to raise child or marry fiance   Mother-to-be deemed 'too stupid' to raise child or marry fiance EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 6:59 pm

I'm pretty sure, as a minor, she has to have approval from someone to marry. Also, if she isn't fit to raise the child, she has no business raising the child.

And hasn't half of this board advocated a parenting license to keep fools like this from raising kids? Razz

However, I want to hear some explanation as to why the father can't be responsible for the kid. Really, it's as much her kid as it is his, if he can manage to take care of it by himself, let him.
Back to top Go down
Mafiosa

PostSubject: Re: Mother-to-be deemed 'too stupid' to raise child or marry fiance   Mother-to-be deemed 'too stupid' to raise child or marry fiance EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 7:12 pm

TheHermit wrote:

Quote :
And hasn't half of this board advocated a parenting license to keep fools like this from raising kids?

Congrats, you have the same thought pattern as Mikey.

Now feck off.
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: Mother-to-be deemed 'too stupid' to raise child or marry fiance   Mother-to-be deemed 'too stupid' to raise child or marry fiance EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 8:39 pm

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:

However, I want to hear some explanation as to why the father can't be responsible for the kid. Really, it's as much her kid as it is his, if he can manage to take care of it by himself, let him.
It says in the article that since the father isn't married to the mother, he has no legal right to the child. This is also the case in Ireland, largely because we used to deal with single mothers by shoving them in Magdalene Laundries for the rest of their lives and sending the children to industrial schools to be abused by the Christian Brothers. The men who made those babies were invisible.
Back to top Go down
Rabid Badger
And This is Why I Need Medication
And This is Why I Need Medication
Rabid Badger

PostSubject: Re: Mother-to-be deemed 'too stupid' to raise child or marry fiance   Mother-to-be deemed 'too stupid' to raise child or marry fiance EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 8:56 pm

I'd be interested in knowing what 'mild learning difficulties' means as well. My mom used to work with handicapped adults, and there's a world of difference between someone who's, say seriously brain damaged and basically has to be taken care of and someone who just has problems retaining information. Also, I applaud her boyfriend for wanting to do the right thing. And if the mild learning difficulties means she sometimes has to be reminded to do something, I imagine her boyfriend would be more than willing to take up the slack.

Also, just because the mother has mild problems doesn't mean the child will be born mentally handicapped. Most mentally handicapped kids are, in fact, born to perfectly normal parents.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Mother-to-be deemed 'too stupid' to raise child or marry fiance   Mother-to-be deemed 'too stupid' to raise child or marry fiance EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 10:18 pm

Cyberwulf wrote:
Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:

It says in the article that since the father isn't married to the mother, he has no legal right to the child. This is also the case in Ireland, largely because we used to deal with single mothers by shoving them in Magdalene Laundries for the rest of their lives and sending the children to industrial schools to be abused by the Christian Brothers. The men who made those babies were invisible.

Well yes, if the men are going to be either as incompetent as the mothers, more incompetent than the mothers, or off the chart, then they probably have no business raising the kid. My point is, if he wants to, and is capable of doing so, why not give him the option to raise the kid himself?

YES I'M AWARE A POINT CAN'T BE IN THE FORM OF A QUESTION! NO I DO NOT CARE!

Judging by the one line in a news article on the internet, he seems to be a better option than social services taking over.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Mr.Doobie

PostSubject: Re: Mother-to-be deemed 'too stupid' to raise child or marry fiance   Mother-to-be deemed 'too stupid' to raise child or marry fiance EmptySun Oct 25, 2009 7:36 am

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
I'm pretty sure, as a minor, she has to have approval from someone to marry. Also, if she isn't fit to raise the child, she has no business raising the child.

And hasn't half of this board advocated a parenting license to keep fools like this from raising kids? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

1) The only people saying she isn't fit to raise the child are social services, and that's on the very vague grounds that she has "mild learning disabilities".

On that note, can anyone find any information about what these "mild learning disabilities" are?

2) Getting a license to procreate is completely different from this.

3) In the article, it says he has no rights to the child because they're not married.
Back to top Go down
EileenK98
Recovering Fanbrat
Recovering Fanbrat
EileenK98

PostSubject: Re: Mother-to-be deemed 'too stupid' to raise child or marry fiance   Mother-to-be deemed 'too stupid' to raise child or marry fiance EmptySun Oct 25, 2009 7:45 am

I hate how the article uses the word "stupid". She is not stupid, she is intellectually disabled. She should not be put in the same category as assholes who leave their cigarettes out for their two-year-old to play with, and then beat them to death for it.
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: Mother-to-be deemed 'too stupid' to raise child or marry fiance   Mother-to-be deemed 'too stupid' to raise child or marry fiance EmptySun Oct 25, 2009 7:49 am

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Well yes, if the men are going to be either as incompetent as the mothers, more incompetent than the mothers, or off the chart, then they probably have no business raising the kid. My point is, if he wants to, and is capable of doing so, why not give him the option to raise the kid himself?

Because under the Scottish legal system, he has no legal rights to the child because he isn't married to his/her mother. As far as the law is concerned, he might as well be a stranger. I don't disagree that it sucks, but there it is.
Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Harley Quinn hyenaholic

PostSubject: Re: Mother-to-be deemed 'too stupid' to raise child or marry fiance   Mother-to-be deemed 'too stupid' to raise child or marry fiance EmptySun Oct 25, 2009 1:02 pm

This is awful. The father has no rights to look after his son because he's not married to the mother. Okay, okay, I can deal with that law.

What I can't deal with is that the reason they can't get married is because social services forbid that too.

So now the baby is being taken away from her.

It looks to me that even if she doesn't fully realise the implications of marriage, the father understands enough to want to marry the pregnant girl.

Next thing you know, they'll be sterilising people beneath a certain IQ.
Back to top Go down
https://www.fanfiction.net/~breechloader
EileenK98
Recovering Fanbrat
Recovering Fanbrat
EileenK98

PostSubject: Re: Mother-to-be deemed 'too stupid' to raise child or marry fiance   Mother-to-be deemed 'too stupid' to raise child or marry fiance EmptySun Oct 25, 2009 4:08 pm

Harley Quinn hyenaholic wrote:

Ssh! Don't give them any ideas!
Back to top Go down
Malganis
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Malganis

PostSubject: Re: Mother-to-be deemed 'too stupid' to raise child or marry fiance   Mother-to-be deemed 'too stupid' to raise child or marry fiance EmptySun Oct 25, 2009 4:15 pm

EileenK98 wrote:
Harley Quinn hyenaholic wrote:

Ssh! Don't give them any ideas!

It's not like eugenics is a new idea. Sterilizing those who were deemed unworthy or unfit to reproduce has already been done in America and Europe in decades past.
Back to top Go down
Wandering Critic
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Mother-to-be deemed 'too stupid' to raise child or marry fiance   Mother-to-be deemed 'too stupid' to raise child or marry fiance EmptySun Oct 25, 2009 4:45 pm

EileenK98 wrote:
I hate how the article uses the word "stupid". She is not stupid, she is intellectually disabled. She should not be put in the same category as assholes who leave their cigarettes out for their two-year-old to play with, and then beat them to death for it.
I have to disagree. She is (or may be, since they give us no usable information) stupid. Assholes who leave their cigarettes out and then beat their 2-year-old to death are not stupid; they're murderous sons of bitches. "Stupid" is lacking intelligence; "murderous son of a bitch" is lacking humanity.

Stupid is a perfectly valid word, meaning "not smart". I prefer it to whatever euphemism is in fashion this year, if for no better reason than I don't have to keep learning new ones or risk being told that whatever was last year's proper euphemism is politically incorrect this year.

One has to wonder what word should apply to someone who complains that a word isn't being used as an insult.
Back to top Go down
http://wanderingcritic.wordpress.com/
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Harley Quinn hyenaholic

PostSubject: Re: Mother-to-be deemed 'too stupid' to raise child or marry fiance   Mother-to-be deemed 'too stupid' to raise child or marry fiance EmptySun Oct 25, 2009 4:46 pm

Yes, THAT'S WHY I SAID 'Next Thing You Know'.
Back to top Go down
https://www.fanfiction.net/~breechloader
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mother-to-be deemed 'too stupid' to raise child or marry fiance   Mother-to-be deemed 'too stupid' to raise child or marry fiance Empty

Back to top Go down

Mother-to-be deemed 'too stupid' to raise child or marry fiance
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next