Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Onion Being Offensive? OH NOES

Go down 
+13
KelinciHutan
Q
Dr. Professor Science
saeku
Sheba
Melissa
Miss Prince
Penguin
Mafiosa
Rabid Badger
Narwhal
Cyberwulf
gaijinguy
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
gaijinguy
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
gaijinguy

The Onion Being Offensive? OH NOES Empty
PostSubject: The Onion Being Offensive? OH NOES   The Onion Being Offensive? OH NOES EmptyFri Sep 18, 2009 5:13 pm

This must not stand, man! woman! womyn!

I swear to God I'm not making this up. This feminist blogger is actually getting bent out of shape over the offensiveness of material printed by The Onion. The most laughable part is that she actually claims to be a fan. The Very Special Forces? Mother Theresa in Hell? Reality TV, Reality Unfair to Blacks?

What Onion has this blogger been reading?
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: The Onion Being Offensive? OH NOES   The Onion Being Offensive? OH NOES EmptyFri Sep 18, 2009 5:30 pm

Perhaps someone could explain the joke to me.
Back to top Go down
gaijinguy
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
gaijinguy

PostSubject: Re: The Onion Being Offensive? OH NOES   The Onion Being Offensive? OH NOES EmptyFri Sep 18, 2009 5:53 pm

It's not like this is the first time the Onion has done this.
Back to top Go down
Narwhal
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Narwhal

PostSubject: Re: The Onion Being Offensive? OH NOES   The Onion Being Offensive? OH NOES EmptyFri Sep 18, 2009 5:58 pm

Quote :
Yes indeed, count me as one of those angry feminists without a sense of humor but no I’m sure not laughing about human trafficking or sexual slavery either.

Neither is the Onion, you retard. Honestly, I loathe people like this. Does this woman think that if they were actually confronted with sexual harassment or exposed to human slave trafficking that the employees of the Onion would be yukking it up?

Yes, you are a humorless dweeb for being offended.
Back to top Go down
Rabid Badger
And This is Why I Need Medication
And This is Why I Need Medication
Rabid Badger

PostSubject: Re: The Onion Being Offensive? OH NOES   The Onion Being Offensive? OH NOES EmptyFri Sep 18, 2009 7:53 pm

Cyberwulf wrote:

The Onion is a long-standing parody news site. Nothing they write about is true, and roughly 99.9% of humanity knows that.

Apparently, this woman thinks they're serious. Which surprises even me, because I've never actually read The Onion, and even I know it's a parody site.
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: The Onion Being Offensive? OH NOES   The Onion Being Offensive? OH NOES EmptyFri Sep 18, 2009 8:08 pm

Rabid Badger wrote:
Cyberwulf wrote:

The Onion is a long-standing parody news site. Nothing they write about is true

Well, except for the bit where women are actually trafficked as prostitutes.
Back to top Go down
Mafiosa
You crack me up, little buddy!

PostSubject: Re: The Onion Being Offensive? OH NOES   The Onion Being Offensive? OH NOES EmptyFri Sep 18, 2009 8:25 pm

Cyberwulf wrote:
Rabid Badger wrote:
Cyberwulf wrote:

The Onion is a long-standing parody news site. Nothing they write about is meant to be taken seriously

Well, except for the bit where women are actually trafficked as prostitutes.

Fixed.

Also: How is the employee of the month shirt misogynistic?
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: The Onion Being Offensive? OH NOES   The Onion Being Offensive? OH NOES EmptySat Sep 19, 2009 4:10 am

It assumes the employee of the month was a woman.
Back to top Go down
Miss Prince
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Miss Prince

PostSubject: Re: The Onion Being Offensive? OH NOES   The Onion Being Offensive? OH NOES EmptySat Sep 19, 2009 8:34 am

Definitely missed the joke, I think. I WILL EXPLAIN.

I have to say, the joke's on anyone who would buy the Employee of the Month shirt -- basically it says "I am a sexist creep and a woman is better at my job than me."

Reaching? It's pretty in line with The Onion's messages so far. I mean, in "Reality TV, Reality Unfair to Blacks," the joke was that sure, Reality TV's biased, but focusing on that over the horrendous struggles they face in real life is stupid. And "How Can I Use Feminism to My Advantage?" similarly comes off in favor of feminism.

All I can say about the prostitute one is that it's politically aware black humor. That's what it seems like to me.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: The Onion Being Offensive? OH NOES   The Onion Being Offensive? OH NOES EmptySat Sep 19, 2009 8:40 am

Miss Prince wrote:
I have to say, the joke's on anyone who would buy the Employee of the Month shirt -- basically it says "I am a sexist creep and a woman is better at my job than me."

Again, assuming the employee of the month is a woman. :p
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: The Onion Being Offensive? OH NOES   The Onion Being Offensive? OH NOES EmptySat Sep 19, 2009 8:56 am

I remember once some woman wrote to Reader's Digest to complain about their piece on J. K. Rowling because she was an evil Satanist. The Onion said so! The editors of RD had to drop the knowledge on her.
Men can be sexually harassed too. Women can sexually harass men. It's possible that a woman can sexually harass another woman. Men can be sexually harassed by other men. I knew a guy who filed sexual harassment charges on another guy. Granted, the harassment was patting the guy on the stomach and saying "How's it going, Fatso?" Still fell under the categories of unwanted touching and inappropriate comment.
Back to top Go down
Miss Prince
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Miss Prince

PostSubject: Re: The Onion Being Offensive? OH NOES   The Onion Being Offensive? OH NOES EmptySat Sep 19, 2009 9:45 am

^ It's under the men's T-shirt section. Although that doesn't counter Penguin's point Razz

And the prostitute one isn't even there, that I could see. Must've been taken down.
Back to top Go down
Sheba
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sheba

PostSubject: Re: The Onion Being Offensive? OH NOES   The Onion Being Offensive? OH NOES EmptySat Sep 19, 2009 11:14 am

Melissa wrote:

Men can be sexually harassed too. Women can sexually harass men. It's possible that a woman can sexually harass another woman.

U R MYSOGNYST U LUV RAEP GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRWRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
saeku
Fapmaster
Fapmaster

PostSubject: Re: The Onion Being Offensive? OH NOES   The Onion Being Offensive? OH NOES EmptySat Sep 19, 2009 1:03 pm

Personally, I don't find the Onion offensive because it's easily identifiable as parody. And I wouldn't find those T-shirts offensive if they were just pictures posted on the site. But the Onion's selling them, and if I saw somebody wearing one of those shirts on the street, there would be no way to tell that it was from the Onion. They look like the tacky T-shirts they sell on boardwalks to douchebags.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Professor Science
Ghoti
Ghoti
Dr. Professor Science

Location : One of the guys with the giant papier-mâché dongs in Lysistrata

PostSubject: Re: The Onion Being Offensive? OH NOES   The Onion Being Offensive? OH NOES EmptySat Sep 19, 2009 1:29 pm

This is true but still does not warrant enraged feminists to attempt to wank all over those nice, clean shirts.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: The Onion Being Offensive? OH NOES   The Onion Being Offensive? OH NOES EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 7:25 am

That's because they're the sort of people who are why this joke works:

Q: How many feminists does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
A: THAT'S NOT FUNNY!
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: The Onion Being Offensive? OH NOES   The Onion Being Offensive? OH NOES EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 2:23 pm

Penguin wrote:
That's because they're the sort of people who are why this joke works:

Q: How many feminists does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
A: THAT'S NOT FUNNY!
Hey, Penguin, maybe you can explain why the "all I got was this trafficked prostitute" T-shirt is funny.
Back to top Go down
Q

Q

PostSubject: Re: The Onion Being Offensive? OH NOES   The Onion Being Offensive? OH NOES EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 6:27 pm

It's funny because he settled for so little.
Back to top Go down
KelinciHutan
Global Nomad
Global Nomad
KelinciHutan

PostSubject: Re: The Onion Being Offensive? OH NOES   The Onion Being Offensive? OH NOES EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 6:47 pm

Cyberwulf wrote:
Hey, Penguin, maybe you can explain why the "all I got was this trafficked prostitute" T-shirt is funny.
This is a self-defeating request. Jokes, once explained, are almost never still funny. So, of course, if Penguin did come in and explain why it's funny, you still wouldn't "get it," and would continue to feel justified. On the other hand, if he ignores you, you can accuse him later on of wimping out because clearly "no satisfactory explanation exists," and you continue to feel justified.

Oh, look. No matter what happens, you get to feel like you win the argument when all you've really done is annoy people. Again.

I am posting this for the cathartic value I derive from it. I do not, in my wildest dreams, even imagine that Cyberwulf will actually figure out why her style of "engaging the opposition" is so stupendously ineffective.
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: The Onion Being Offensive? OH NOES   The Onion Being Offensive? OH NOES EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 7:26 pm

KelinciHutan wrote:
Cyberwulf wrote:
This is a self-defeating request. Jokes, once explained, are almost never still funny.
I just want to know what the observer is supposed to be laughing at.

Quote :
Oh, look. No matter what happens, you get to feel like you win the argument when all you've really done is annoy people. Again.
Silly me! I keep forgetting this board is supposed to be a giant circle-jerk where no dissenting opinions are allowed. Even though this thread is essentially HEY LOOK SOMEONE FOUND THIS OFFENSIVE AND I DIDN'T THEREFORE SHE'S A STUPID BITCH.

Shall I just take it as read that all of you find human trafficking hilariously funny?

ps teenytiny text is the ultimate in passive agression y/y
Back to top Go down
Sheba
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sheba

PostSubject: Re: The Onion Being Offensive? OH NOES   The Onion Being Offensive? OH NOES EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 7:33 pm

Cyberwulf wrote:
KelinciHutan wrote:
Cyberwulf wrote:
This is a self-defeating request. Jokes, once explained, are almost never still funny.

Okay, honey...

Have you ever seen those those, 'My *parents/friend/relative/pet rock* went to *place* and all I got was this lousy T-shirt!' shirts?

Supposed to be parodying that. It's supposed to mildly offensive; that's part of the humor.

The real funny comes from people like you who assume it's to be taken seriously.

(Hint: It's not.)

There I fixed it. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Sheba on Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Saleha
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Saleha

PostSubject: Re: The Onion Being Offensive? OH NOES   The Onion Being Offensive? OH NOES EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 7:49 am

Sheba wrote:

Okay, honey...

Now you've done it. We'll still be here in ten pages. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Seriously now, people ragging on a parody website that specializes in borderline "Dead Baby" comedy? Really?! Congrats, the joke's on you.
Back to top Go down
http://diva-urd.livejournal.com/
Knorg
Behind Blue Eyes
Behind Blue Eyes
Knorg

PostSubject: Re: The Onion Being Offensive? OH NOES   The Onion Being Offensive? OH NOES EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 9:13 am

I'm waitin' for the onion to release a "There ain't nuthin funnier than rape!" t-shirt.
Back to top Go down
Mafiosa

PostSubject: Re: The Onion Being Offensive? OH NOES   The Onion Being Offensive? OH NOES EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 9:25 am

Quote :
Shall I just take it as read that all of you find human trafficking hilariously funny?

If we say yes, will you shut the fuck up or are you just looking for a fight today?
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: The Onion Being Offensive? OH NOES   The Onion Being Offensive? OH NOES EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 9:42 am

Cyberwulf wrote:

As previously stated, it's replacing the "lousy t-shirt" with "lousy kidnapped prostitute." It's making fun of a serious problem in many parts of the world, and in some cases, it helps people who are tired of being incessantly sermonized about- oh come on does it REALLY take that much of an explanation?

A lot of jokes that piss people off are the kind that others laugh at because it's "wrong" or pushes them outside their comfort zones. If you think that's bad, there's another company you might be interested in.

Quote :

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Onion Being Offensive? OH NOES   The Onion Being Offensive? OH NOES Empty

Back to top Go down

The Onion Being Offensive? OH NOES
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next