Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Life imitates Onion

Go down 
+19
Pierre Gringoire
EileenK98
Dixie
Owlish
Penguin
Lapin
Cyberwulf
Sakurelf
Mr.Doobie
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Mikey Go WOOGA
KJM
Spotts1701
Raine
maladroit_mooncalf
Salamas
Lady Anne
rachel
Cactus Wren
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Cactus Wren
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Cactus Wren

Life imitates Onion Empty
PostSubject: Life imitates Onion   Life imitates Onion EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 10:09 am

A few years ago, the Onion did a piece about a man being arrested for acting like a romantic-comedy character: well, it turns out such behaviors get the same reaction in real life that they do in The Onion. And it's not the reaction that happens in romantic comedies.

In Dalton, Georgia, 24-year-old Jason Dean was arrested for handcuffing himself to an eighteen-year-old co-worker in the parking lot of their workplace.

The original article, linked above, claims he released her when several co-workers "talked him into letting her go". An update gives more details:

Apparently he'd been falsely claiming he was a volunteer firefighter. Life imitates Onion 585516 He'd been pursuing this woman for weeks: it had reached the point where her managers had agreed to change her shift so she could avoid him:

Quote :
The woman was leaving after her shift Monday night when Dean walked to her car and slapped a handcuff on her wrist, the report states. The other cuff was on his own arm.

The woman screamed and co-workers ran outside and tried to talk Dean into letting her go, but he said he just wanted to talk.

But when the co-workers called police, Dean uncuffed the woman and fled, the report states.

Just wanted to talk.

I can't imagine why she'd want to avoid him. After all, he's such a Nice Guy.
Back to top Go down
rachel
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
rachel

PostSubject: Re: Life imitates Onion   Life imitates Onion EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 10:14 am

Nice guys. Bleah!
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Life imitates Onion   Life imitates Onion EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 11:26 am

I wonder if this guy has spent time on Love-Shy?
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Salamas
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Salamas

PostSubject: Re: Life imitates Onion   Life imitates Onion EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 11:36 am

Because forcibly handcuffing yourself to a woman is a surefire way to a gal's heart. Oh golly gosh, I do wish a guy did such a romantic gesture to me and lose the key in the process.
Back to top Go down
maladroit_mooncalf
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
maladroit_mooncalf

PostSubject: Re: Life imitates Onion   Life imitates Onion EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 11:38 am

OMG, you guys! My neck of the woods made the news here and I wasn't the one who found it. I feel so...so proud! *sniffles* We can all be famous!

Actually, no. While I'm both amazed and amused at the location, on what planet was that meant to work?
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Life imitates Onion   Life imitates Onion EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 1:11 pm

maladroit_mooncalf wrote:
OMG, you guys! My neck of the woods made the news here and I wasn't the one who found it. I feel so...so proud! *sniffles* We can all be famous!

Actually, no. While I'm both amazed and amused at the location, on what planet was that meant to work?
Planet Nitwit.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Raine
Challenge Winner!
Challenge Winner!
Raine

PostSubject: Re: Life imitates Onion   Life imitates Onion EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 4:57 pm

Cactus Wren wrote:
I can't imagine why she'd want to avoid him. After all, he's such a Nice Guy.

Oh wow... reading through some of that stuff reminds me of a guy I knew once. =/ He eventually tried to drag me down into his depression spiral with him.

But yeah, handcuffing someone to "talk"? He couldn't have just asked "can we talk?", and if she said no, moved on?
Back to top Go down
Spotts1701
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Spotts1701

PostSubject: Re: Life imitates Onion   Life imitates Onion EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 5:18 pm

Lady Anne wrote:

Planet Nitwit.

That is an insult to nitwits. Razz
Back to top Go down
KJM
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Life imitates Onion   Life imitates Onion EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 9:38 pm

You mean real life DOESN'T work like romantic comedies? Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://kennethmrrw502.blogspot.com/
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Life imitates Onion   Life imitates Onion EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 11:07 pm

Lady Anne wrote:

Not likely. This man left his basement. Colbert

Lady Anne wrote:

Planet Nitwit.

Spotts1701 wrote:
Lady Anne wrote:

Planet Nitwit.

That is an insult to nitwits. Razz

KJM wrote:
You mean real life DOESN'T work like romantic comedies? Shocked

ITT: Everyone acts like Chris91
Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Harley Quinn hyenaholic

PostSubject: Re: Life imitates Onion   Life imitates Onion EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 6:46 am

Wow. And he looks so cute too; you wouldn't think it of him. It just goes to show you can never tell.

I think... that the guy didn't mean any harm, but many stalkers don't, except then they get worse and worse and sometimes something goes horribly wrong. Ironically it's only the worst cases that hit the news, but this sounds like it could have escalated.

It sounds like the romantic rival Polian would probably have been the first victim...

The guy definitely needs therapy, to differentiate between real life and fantasy. All in all I'm not surprised the woman was scared as things got more and more out of control.
Back to top Go down
https://www.fanfiction.net/~breechloader
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Mr.Doobie

PostSubject: Re: Life imitates Onion   Life imitates Onion EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 7:14 am

Quote :
Wow. And he looks so cute too; you wouldn't think it of him.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Are we looking at the same mugshot?

Hrm, the guy does look kind of like a hyena, so I guess I see where you're coming from now...
Back to top Go down
Sakurelf
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sakurelf

PostSubject: Re: Life imitates Onion   Life imitates Onion EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 1:19 pm

Yes, because attractive men / people should get away with more...
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: Life imitates Onion   Life imitates Onion EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 3:31 pm

oh god harley please stop typing please stop please stop please stop
Back to top Go down
Lapin
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Lapin

PostSubject: Re: Life imitates Onion   Life imitates Onion EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 4:13 pm

Oh Wulfie, just look away. It makes for an easier life if you just look somewhere else when she's talking.

(Turns her head to the side)

He does kind of look like a hyena.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Life imitates Onion   Life imitates Onion EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 5:55 pm

He looks like a nobody character from 24 that Jack Bauer wouldn't even have to punch.
Back to top Go down
Owlish
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Owlish

PostSubject: Re: Life imitates Onion   Life imitates Onion EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 10:05 pm

Raine wrote:

But yeah, handcuffing someone to "talk"? He couldn't have just asked "can we talk?", and if she said no, moved on?

He probably did ask, and ask, and ask, and ask again, before he pulled out the handcuffs. To him, "talking" means convincing her to say yes even if he had to resort to illegal and abusive means; he would not take no for an answer. My guess is this guy's got serious mental problems to boot, in addition to being a plain old loser.
Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Harley Quinn hyenaholic

PostSubject: Re: Life imitates Onion   Life imitates Onion EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 7:31 am

Goddammit, I wasn't talking about the 24-year-old Jason Dean who has a face like a kicked dog (I'm not that desperate), I was talking about The Onion's crazy article on the guy who was in the romantic comedy behaviour article. Jesus christ, do you think I'm blind as well as stupid?

Can't help but notice that you ignored every other part of my post too, you know like when I mentioned Polian from the Onion article... Which probably means you agree with me on that but just wanted to get at me for the little confusion.

I'm afraid a lot of Onion stuff is pretty convincing (just like when I act like an idiot). There ought to be a rule against linking to it, especially when I'm tired and not paying attention.

But see, this is what stalkers do; they start off as lonely guys who get it into their heads after a quick conversation with a girl that she's in love with them, and then try, and try again, and try and try and try some more, their measures becoming gradually more weird, until the response is either the one they want (which it almost never is), or they totally lose it and do something that gets the cops' attention.

And if they don't get stopped and get some therapy, they end up as those very, very highly publicised guys who stalk then kill, then the papers go around and ask why the police didn't do anything.

In this case, the woman was pretty lucky it didn't get further than her being handcuffed. I just hope she can be sorted out too; being stalked can range from uncomfortable to really terrifying, depending on how far the stalker gets. Women sometimes need some post-traumatic therapy to get over these things.

All stalkers have mental problems, or they wouldn't be going about things the way they are.

And attractive people do get away with more, in case nobody had noticed.
Back to top Go down
Dixie
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Dixie

PostSubject: Re: Life imitates Onion   Life imitates Onion EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 9:03 am

Harley Quinn hyenaholic wrote:
Goddammit, I wasn't talking about the 24-year-old Jason Dean who has a face like a kicked dog (I'm not that desperate), I was talking about The Onion's crazy article on the guy who was in the romantic comedy behaviour article. Jesus christ, do you think I'm blind as well as stupid?

Can't help but notice that you ignored every other part of my post too, you know like when I mentioned Polian from the Onion article... Which probably means you agree with me on that but just wanted to get at me for the little confusion.

I'm afraid a lot of Onion stuff is pretty convincing (just like when I act like an idiot). There ought to be a rule against linking to it, especially when I'm tired and not paying attention.

Harley, there were nine posts, NINE, between the OP that mentioned the Onion article, and your post. Any normal person would have made it very clear that they were back-referring to the OP and not to what everyone else was talking about. Also, you've made sufficient moronic posts in the past for us to believe just about anything of you.

The moral of this story is: Harley, think before you post, then don't post.
Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Harley Quinn hyenaholic

PostSubject: Re: Life imitates Onion   Life imitates Onion EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 9:36 am

Really, Dixie? Let's take a look at some of those deep, insightful posts that I should be paying attention to...

Quote :
Nice guys. Bleah!

Quote :

Quote :
Because forcibly handcuffing yourself to a woman is a surefire way to a gal's heart. Oh golly gosh, I do wish a guy did such a romantic gesture to me and lose the key in the process.

Quote :

Seriously, Dixie. What kind of supposedly intelligent person refers back to posts like that as if they're worth making a comment on?

Lady Anne wrote:

Planet Nitwit.

Ooops! My bad! What insightful one-lined responses! I should have paid more attention to them instead of ignoring them altogether!
Back to top Go down
Dixie
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Dixie

PostSubject: Re: Life imitates Onion   Life imitates Onion EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 11:13 am

Each one of those "deep, insightful" posts were referring to the actual, real news, Jason Dean story, not the made-up, fake and not real in the slightest Onion story.

And when did I say anything about you paying attention to the other posts, or how deep and insightful they were? All I said was that there were several posts before yours THAT DID NOT REFER TO THE ONION STORY IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM.

Reading comprehension = a good idea.
Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Harley Quinn hyenaholic

PostSubject: Re: Life imitates Onion   Life imitates Onion EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 1:48 pm

Hey, I said I was tired, and Mr Dean has a face like a kicked dog. And nobody paid any attention to my post when working out who I was talking about. This is stupid. I can say a dozen things in one post but the only part anybody pays attention to is where I called somebody cute, they insult me over that and they're not even thinking of the right person.

Or something.

Last edited by Harley Quinn hyenaholic on Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
EileenK98
Recovering Fanbrat
Recovering Fanbrat
EileenK98

PostSubject: Re: Life imitates Onion   Life imitates Onion EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 3:03 pm

Harley, please, just quit while you're ahead.
Back to top Go down
Pierre Gringoire

PostSubject: Re: Life imitates Onion   Life imitates Onion EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 4:37 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Mr.Doobie

PostSubject: Re: Life imitates Onion   Life imitates Onion EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 5:41 pm

Quote :
oddammit, I wasn't talking about the 24-year-old Jason Dean who has a face like a kicked dog (I'm not that desperate), I was talking about The Onion's crazy article on the guy who was in the romantic comedy behaviour article. Jesus christ, do you think I'm blind as well as stupid?

Harley, are you actually trying to get us to take you seriously?

Us?

You?

Ha.

Ha ha.

Ha.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Life imitates Onion   Life imitates Onion Empty

Back to top Go down

Life imitates Onion
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next