Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Dissatisfied "Virgin" Mary and Sad Joseph billboard not offensive

Go down 
+17
Just Chipper
Miss Misery
Lady Anne
Saleha
Penguin
Lembech
Chaltab
Raine
Rabid Badger
Mafiosa
Aggie
ZoZo
Dr. Professor Science
Verandering
EileenK98
SirDixonDongs
Jesus.
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Jesus.
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Jesus.

Dissatisfied "Virgin" Mary and Sad Joseph billboard not offensive Empty
PostSubject: Dissatisfied "Virgin" Mary and Sad Joseph billboard not offensive   Dissatisfied "Virgin" Mary and Sad Joseph billboard not offensive EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 3:28 pm

The ASA decides this billboard is not obscene.

And I will say- Its not obscene, theres no nudity, the only sex is just some allusions, etc. However... what the hell was the message they were trying to portray? Once you go ultimate-cosmic-omnipotent-being you never go back? And what kind of reaction were they expecting here, welcoming with open arms? Think of who you're advertising to here. Dissatisfied "Virgin" Mary and Sad Joseph billboard not offensive 57786
Back to top Go down
SirDixonDongs
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
SirDixonDongs

PostSubject: Re: Dissatisfied "Virgin" Mary and Sad Joseph billboard not offensive   Dissatisfied "Virgin" Mary and Sad Joseph billboard not offensive EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 3:30 pm

i want that billboard on my roof

someone get me a hacksaw and plane tickets to australia
Back to top Go down
EileenK98
Recovering Fanbrat
Recovering Fanbrat
EileenK98

PostSubject: Re: Dissatisfied "Virgin" Mary and Sad Joseph billboard not offensive   Dissatisfied "Virgin" Mary and Sad Joseph billboard not offensive EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 3:35 pm

Maybe it's not obscene, but posting that in certain places would definitely be asking for trouble.
Back to top Go down
Verandering
The Gender Offender
The Gender Offender
Verandering

PostSubject: Re: Dissatisfied "Virgin" Mary and Sad Joseph billboard not offensive   Dissatisfied "Virgin" Mary and Sad Joseph billboard not offensive EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 4:03 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHA
I love it.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Professor Science
Ghoti
Ghoti
Dr. Professor Science

Location : One of the guys with the giant papier-mâché dongs in Lysistrata

PostSubject: Re: Dissatisfied "Virgin" Mary and Sad Joseph billboard not offensive   Dissatisfied "Virgin" Mary and Sad Joseph billboard not offensive EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 4:18 pm

I've seen the picture from the billboard floating around the Internet. All this time I thought it had been a Photoshop!
Back to top Go down
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

PostSubject: Re: Dissatisfied "Virgin" Mary and Sad Joseph billboard not offensive   Dissatisfied "Virgin" Mary and Sad Joseph billboard not offensive EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 5:06 pm

I would go to that church. Seriously, it's refreshing to see religious folks with a sense of humour.
Back to top Go down
Aggie
Aggie

PostSubject: Re: Dissatisfied "Virgin" Mary and Sad Joseph billboard not offensive   Dissatisfied "Virgin" Mary and Sad Joseph billboard not offensive EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 5:35 pm

ZoZo wrote:
I would go to that church. Seriously, it's refreshing to see religious folks with a sense of humour.
The fact that the church itself erected it gave me hope that not all Christians are a bunch of stuffy-shirt, uptight assholes.

...then the attacks on it pretty much reverted me back to my 'fuck you all' attitude.
Back to top Go down
Mafiosa
You crack me up, little buddy!
You crack me up, little buddy!

PostSubject: Re: Dissatisfied "Virgin" Mary and Sad Joseph billboard not offensive   Dissatisfied "Virgin" Mary and Sad Joseph billboard not offensive EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 6:25 pm

Aggie wrote:
ZoZo wrote:
The fact that the church itself erected it gave me hope that not all Christians are a bunch of stuffy-shirt, uptight assholes.

...then the attacks on it pretty much reverted me back to my 'fuck you all' attitude.

Oh no Christians are fun loving, relatively open bros who like to hang out and skate4Christ or whatever those kids are into these days.

Catholics, on the other hand...
Back to top Go down
Rabid Badger
And This is Why I Need Medication
And This is Why I Need Medication
Rabid Badger

PostSubject: Re: Dissatisfied "Virgin" Mary and Sad Joseph billboard not offensive   Dissatisfied "Virgin" Mary and Sad Joseph billboard not offensive EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 9:14 pm

Given that a fair number of churches I know teach that Joseph and Mary never consummated their marriage, because Mary being impregnated by the Holy Spirit rendered her too 'perfect' for mere mortal sex, I can't see what the uproar is about.

I always figured Joseph must've been a very long-suffering man, since back then, being espoused was essentially the same as being married (without the sex), and if she turned up pregnant, both of you could be stoned. As the Bible says, he could've publicaly denounced her (which would've resulted in her death), or privately put her away somewhere. Instead, he chose to stand by her, claim the child as his, and raise it. In a society whose favorite way of punishing people for violating sexual mores was to stone them, that's no small thing.
Back to top Go down
Raine
Challenge Winner!
Challenge Winner!
Raine

PostSubject: Re: Dissatisfied "Virgin" Mary and Sad Joseph billboard not offensive   Dissatisfied "Virgin" Mary and Sad Joseph billboard not offensive EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 10:21 pm

SirDixonDongs wrote:

I can never tell if you're joking or not.
Back to top Go down
Chaltab
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Chaltab

PostSubject: Re: Dissatisfied "Virgin" Mary and Sad Joseph billboard not offensive   Dissatisfied "Virgin" Mary and Sad Joseph billboard not offensive EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 10:50 pm

I'm really not sure what the church was trying to accomplish with this sign, but it certainly amuses me.
Back to top Go down
Lembech
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Lembech

PostSubject: Re: Dissatisfied "Virgin" Mary and Sad Joseph billboard not offensive   Dissatisfied "Virgin" Mary and Sad Joseph billboard not offensive EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 11:03 pm

Something about the way they're laying in the bed is bothering the crap out of me. Maybe it's the perspective but it's almost like they're floating there.

Left-fielding aside, this needs to be in Alabama somewhere. I can pretty much guarantee the reactions will be hilarious, if the leprechaun incident has taught us anything.
Back to top Go down
SirDixonDongs
SirDixonDongs

PostSubject: Re: Dissatisfied "Virgin" Mary and Sad Joseph billboard not offensive   Dissatisfied "Virgin" Mary and Sad Joseph billboard not offensive EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 12:25 am

Raine wrote:
SirDixonDongs wrote:

who is joking this is am atter of life and death!!!
Back to top Go down
Raine
Challenge Winner!
Challenge Winner!
Raine

PostSubject: Re: Dissatisfied "Virgin" Mary and Sad Joseph billboard not offensive   Dissatisfied "Virgin" Mary and Sad Joseph billboard not offensive EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 1:18 am

SirDixonDongs wrote:
Raine wrote:
SirDixonDongs wrote:

who is joking this is am atter of life and death!!!

It's just that you might have a hard time finding that billboard in Australia.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Dissatisfied "Virgin" Mary and Sad Joseph billboard not offensive   Dissatisfied "Virgin" Mary and Sad Joseph billboard not offensive EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 3:12 am

Not obscene, but not funny either.
Back to top Go down
Saleha
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Saleha

PostSubject: Re: Dissatisfied "Virgin" Mary and Sad Joseph billboard not offensive   Dissatisfied "Virgin" Mary and Sad Joseph billboard not offensive EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 7:20 am

Lembech wrote:
Left-fielding aside, this needs to be in Alabama somewhere. I can pretty much guarantee the reactions will be hilarious, if the leprechaun incident has taught us anything.

... please to be updating me on this "Leprechaun incident" you are referencing. If need be and I missed something because I'm totally thick, PM is fine, too. I am intrigued.

As for the billboard... I like it. It's a cute bit of humor, maybe not laugh-out-loud hilarious, but it also seems to show that this church is not as narrow-minded as some people in this here area (because I can already tell you what their reaction would be: "ZOMG BLASPHEMY!!111"). Yeah, I know, they seem to be in the minority there too, judging by the complaints that forced them to take it down... but I appreciate the effort.

Dongs: NZ =/= Australia, bb, you're gonna have to swim a ways to get to the billboard of your sleepless nights Wink

RB: Just curious, wasn't there something in the Bible to where God had her go "lie with her husband?" I seem to recall something like that from confirmation class, but I'm not positive on it, and I don't have a Bible here to check right now Razz
EDIT: Someone posted this in the comments re: immaculate conception.
Quote :
The "immaculate conception" does not refer to how Jesus was conceived.
It refers to Mary's preservation from original sin from the moment of
her conception (which happened in the usual way). This was "thanks to
the grace of God and in antcipation of the merits of Jesus Christ."
Compendium Catechism of the Catholic Church.
Now, I don't know if this is only Catholic doctrine (even though I grew up affiliated with a Protestant church, so I don't know where I would have heard that then), but it's interesting and oh my god why am I so fascinated by this

Last edited by Saleha on Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://diva-urd.livejournal.com/
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Dissatisfied "Virgin" Mary and Sad Joseph billboard not offensive   Dissatisfied "Virgin" Mary and Sad Joseph billboard not offensive EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 7:38 am

Saleha wrote:
Lembech wrote:

... please to be updating me on this "Leprechaun incident" you are referencing. If need be and I missed something because I'm totally thick, PM is fine, too. I am intrigued.

As for the billboard... I like it. It's a cute bit of humor, maybe not laugh-out-loud hilarious, but it also seems to show that this church is not as narrow-minded as some people in this here area (because I can already tell you what their reaction would be: "ZOMG BLASPHEMY!!111"). Yeah, I know, they seem to be in the minority there too, judging by the complaints that forced them to take it down... but I appreciate the effort.

Dongs: NZ =/= Australia, bb, you're gonna have to swim a ways to get to the billboard of your sleepless nights Wink

RB: Just curious, wasn't there something in the Bible to where God, after originally impregnating Mary, had her go "lie with her husband?" I seem to recall something like that from confirmation class, but I'm not positive on it, and I don't have a Bible here to check right now Razz
The Bible says that Jesus had a brother, which can only lead to the conclusion that Mary finally had some fun.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Miss Misery
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Miss Misery

PostSubject: Re: Dissatisfied "Virgin" Mary and Sad Joseph billboard not offensive   Dissatisfied "Virgin" Mary and Sad Joseph billboard not offensive EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 7:58 am

That's actually pretty damn funny. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Just Chipper
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Just Chipper

PostSubject: Re: Dissatisfied "Virgin" Mary and Sad Joseph billboard not offensive   Dissatisfied "Virgin" Mary and Sad Joseph billboard not offensive EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 8:43 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I can't be the only one who sees 'BAD IN BED' all over their expressions.

God damn look at her face.

He totally underperformed.
Back to top Go down
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

PostSubject: Re: Dissatisfied "Virgin" Mary and Sad Joseph billboard not offensive   Dissatisfied "Virgin" Mary and Sad Joseph billboard not offensive EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 8:52 am

Just Chipper wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I can't be the only one who sees 'BAD IN BED' all over their expressions.

God damn look at her face.

He totally underperformed.
Pssst, Chippy...

That was the joke.
Back to top Go down
SirDixonDongs
SirDixonDongs

PostSubject: Re: Dissatisfied "Virgin" Mary and Sad Joseph billboard not offensive   Dissatisfied "Virgin" Mary and Sad Joseph billboard not offensive EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 11:20 am

Saleha wrote:

bullshit its all one big continent down there right

like with the penguins and the kangaroos and the kiwi birds and the lord of the rings
Back to top Go down
rae
Contributor
Contributor
rae

PostSubject: Re: Dissatisfied "Virgin" Mary and Sad Joseph billboard not offensive   Dissatisfied "Virgin" Mary and Sad Joseph billboard not offensive EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 11:45 am

I, too, would know more of this Leprechaun incident.
Back to top Go down
Lembech
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Lembech

PostSubject: Re: Dissatisfied "Virgin" Mary and Sad Joseph billboard not offensive   Dissatisfied "Virgin" Mary and Sad Joseph billboard not offensive EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 12:10 pm

Saleha wrote:
Some folks in Mobile, Alabama thought they saw a Leprechaun. Hilarity ensues. And I chalk it up to another reason why I'm embarrassed about living here.
Back to top Go down
Miss Prince
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Miss Prince

PostSubject: Re: Dissatisfied "Virgin" Mary and Sad Joseph billboard not offensive   Dissatisfied "Virgin" Mary and Sad Joseph billboard not offensive EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 12:21 pm

Lembech wrote:
Saleha wrote:
Some folks in Mobile, Alabama thought they saw a Leprechaun. Hilarity ensues. And I chalk it up to another reason why I'm embarrassed about living here.

Ahahahahahaha "amateur sketch" hahahahaha

I remember South Park parodying this, now.
Back to top Go down
rae
Contributor
Contributor
rae

PostSubject: Re: Dissatisfied "Virgin" Mary and Sad Joseph billboard not offensive   Dissatisfied "Virgin" Mary and Sad Joseph billboard not offensive EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 12:50 pm

I... Oh, wow. I feel so much better about people here hunting for the Gurden lights now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dissatisfied "Virgin" Mary and Sad Joseph billboard not offensive   Dissatisfied "Virgin" Mary and Sad Joseph billboard not offensive Empty

Back to top Go down

Dissatisfied "Virgin" Mary and Sad Joseph billboard not offensive
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next