Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Stockholm: An Exploration of True Love.

Go down 
+25
gaijinguy
Root Admin
theweirdkind
Fairlight
Sheba
Dick Powers
Lapin
Laika_09
unskilled78
Delcat
Wandering Critic
KGarrett
Mikey Go WOOGA
Narwhal
myeerah
Somath Cegem
Chris91
Waffles
Lysander
DeeDee
The Ansem Man
Verandering
Cyberwulf
Miss Prince
LeeLee
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Somath Cegem
Wonderfully English
Wonderfully English
Somath Cegem

Stockholm: An Exploration of True Love. - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stockholm: An Exploration of True Love.   Stockholm: An Exploration of True Love. - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 6:43 pm

Jay/Cris wrote:
Psy-4 wrote:
Admitting that a large number of people with a fetish = culture, would mean that furries are a culture. Yeah, no.

While it's true that a large number of people who share the same traits aren't automatically a culture, I do think such a group can affect the culture in which the group is embedded. The creation and acceptation of, say, a gay club is symptomatic of a culture where gay people are, at the least, tolerated and therefore says a lot about the culture in which it is located. While a prevalence of games in which rape is a dominant theme doesn't mean that rape is a dominant in the entire culture that allows for such games, but it does mean the culture in question has made room for such a fetish to exist. If it's true that these games are somewhat accepted within Japan (or any culture, really), I'd say that there's something going awry.

Jay, I love you in the straightest way possible.
Back to top Go down
Psy-4
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction

PostSubject: Re: Stockholm: An Exploration of True Love.   Stockholm: An Exploration of True Love. - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 7:27 pm

Jay/Cris wrote:
While a prevalence of games in which rape is a dominant theme doesn't mean that rape is a dominant in the entire culture that allows for such games, but it does mean the culture in question has made room for such a fetish to exist. If it's true that these games are somewhat accepted within Japan (or any culture, really), I'd say that there's something going awry.
If people no longer being conservative prudes means that a culture is going awry, then yes, culture is practically a trainwreck caused by planecrash by now.

A fetish is a fetish, and it will remain a fetish. Acceptance of rape as a fetish won't lead to acceptance of rape as not a crime, nor will it cause people to actively try to rape real women; in the same way that shooter games won't lead to legalization of murder or cause violent behaviour. Sure there will be someone who will take the game to heart and go out and rape a girl (or kill a guy), but they all fall in the same category - psychotics.

I mean, seriously, it's accepted to shoot people in the face 57 times for fun(in vidja gaems of course) as a hobby. Is simulated rape that much different from simulated murder?
Back to top Go down
Delcat
Good old-fashioned nightmare fuel
Good old-fashioned nightmare fuel
Delcat

PostSubject: Re: Stockholm: An Exploration of True Love.   Stockholm: An Exploration of True Love. - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 8:01 pm

Why are we blaming this on Japanese rape culture when the game is American?

No, don't mind me, I'm not trying to make a point or anything, I'm just trying to keep up. Carry on.
Back to top Go down
http://delcat.insanejournal.com
Lysander
Lysander

PostSubject: Re: Stockholm: An Exploration of True Love.   Stockholm: An Exploration of True Love. - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 8:12 pm

Psy-4 wrote:
A fetish is a fetish, and it will remain a fetish.

I'm not at all sure why "it's a fetish" is a defense of anything, or even a useful description of anything.

The word "fetish" is so broad that it covers people who are mildly aroused by high heels, all the way to serial killers who fixate on the body parts of their victims. You're talking about one segment of this group, and others talking about the other segment. Neither one really has much in common with the other.

There's bound to be a more specific term for what you're talking about, one which separates basically harmless people from those who have the potential to do real harm. Otherwise, your argument fails, because it covers such a wide range of human behavior, that it's impossible to justify it all.
Back to top Go down
Psy-4

PostSubject: Re: Stockholm: An Exploration of True Love.   Stockholm: An Exploration of True Love. - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 8:58 pm

No other word is needed, argument stands, and you need to burn. Why?

You could say that I... am an anti-semantic bastard.

Yeah
Back to top Go down
Lysander
Lysander

PostSubject: Re: Stockholm: An Exploration of True Love.   Stockholm: An Exploration of True Love. - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 9:22 pm

Psy-4 wrote:
No other word is needed, argument stands, and you need to burn. Why?

Because harmful and abnormal fetishes do exist. It doesn't matter if it's rape or some random useless bullshit like furries or robots. What matters is if they're willing to hurt people for their fetish, and some people are willing to go that far.

So, just saying "it's a fetish" isn't going to justify anything to anyone, much less passing out rape paraphernalia on campus.
Back to top Go down
Psy-4

PostSubject: Re: Stockholm: An Exploration of True Love.   Stockholm: An Exploration of True Love. - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 10:25 pm

Lysander wrote:
So, just saying "it's a fetish" isn't going to justify anything to anyone
I'm cutting you some slack and giving you a chance to turn around, read my posts again, and pay attention to the fact that I said that fetishes are no more harmful than video games, and that there is always someone willing to take it too far.
Back to top Go down
Lysander
Lysander

PostSubject: Re: Stockholm: An Exploration of True Love.   Stockholm: An Exploration of True Love. - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 11:54 pm

Psy-4 wrote:
pay attention to the fact that I said that fetishes are no more harmful than video games, and that there is always someone willing to take it too far.

I take your point. I really do. I was arguing that the technical details of what you're saying are wrong, but I agree with the point you are making. And I'm not just bashing people who just have kinks.

I'm just not convinced that this guy just has kinks.

If he wants to play a rape game, I guess that's one thing. Probably best not to share that information with your parents or anything, but hey- it's your private time.

If he wants to make a rape game, that's also one thing. Don't be surprised if it puts a lot of people off. You're gonna catch shit over it from gamers, but we all have the same right to free speech. You make your game, and let other people react how they want to it.

If he's holding a nationwide pro-rape campaign, because men who are "harmless" are "over-emotional pussies", then I'd say people should approach with caution.

Because, however you want to define it, there are cute little fetishes, and there are scary obsessions, and there is a line in there, and I'm not sure where this guy is in relation to that line.
Back to top Go down
Jay/Cris
The Word Police
The Word Police
Jay/Cris

PostSubject: Re: Stockholm: An Exploration of True Love.   Stockholm: An Exploration of True Love. - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 3:52 am

Psy-4 wrote:
Jay/Cris wrote:
If it's true that these games are somewhat accepted within Japan (or any culture, really), I'd say that there's something going awry.
If people no longer being conservative prudes means that a culture is going awry, then yes, culture is practically a trainwreck caused by planecrash by now.

I was about to be all outraged by this and use fancy words like 'leeway' and phrases like 'shades of grey' and perhaps even indulge in some locked caps, but then my hyperbole-radar beeped and took all my fun away.
Mean.

Psy-4 wrote:
I mean, seriously, it's accepted to shoot people in the face 57 times for fun(in vidja gaems of course) as a hobby. Is simulated rape that much different from simulated murder?

I like the points you're making. I would, however, like to draw attention to the fact that, while simulated murder/violence is accepted, it's still an immensely popular hot-button scapegoat that gets let out of the pen whenever something notably violent involving them game-playing youngsters and guns occurs.
Back to top Go down
http://www.crisiks.livejournal.com
Psy-4

PostSubject: Re: Stockholm: An Exploration of True Love.   Stockholm: An Exploration of True Love. - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 5:46 am

Jay/Cris wrote:
I like the points you're making. I would, however, like to draw attention to the fact that, while simulated murder/violence is accepted, it's still an immensely popular hot-button scapegoat that gets let out of the pen whenever something notably violent involving them game-playing youngsters and guns occurs.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Who does that?

Bwaha, let me rephrase that. Which credible and smart reporter or anyone (not a batshit insane one or one that thinks that this is the ticket out of obscurity) does that anymore?

The last instance of that shit I can recall was the Mass Effect sex thing, and Jack Thompson himself called the guys idiots.

Lysander wrote:
I'm just not convinced that this guy just has kinks.
Oh, we're talking about this guy. Oh, he's the nuttiest one involved, unless a serial rapist-murderer comes along.

I'd say he's a class 5.
Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Harley Quinn hyenaholic

PostSubject: Re: Stockholm: An Exploration of True Love.   Stockholm: An Exploration of True Love. - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 25, 2009 12:23 pm

Hey, I don't hurt people because of my fetish.

Not physically anyway.

Generally the harmfullness of a fetish varies. Like, you may have a fetish for having sex with high-heeled shoes, which is stage 4.

Or you may have a thing for having sex with corpses, which is something of a larger problem.
Back to top Go down
https://www.fanfiction.net/~breechloader
Psy-4

PostSubject: Re: Stockholm: An Exploration of True Love.   Stockholm: An Exploration of True Love. - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 25, 2009 1:56 pm

It's G.I. Jobvious, here to tell us that we're posting in a thread! Thanks, G.I. Jobvious, knowing is half the battle.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stockholm: An Exploration of True Love.   Stockholm: An Exploration of True Love. - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Stockholm: An Exploration of True Love.
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4