Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate

Go down 
+28
The Unoriginal
I_Lam_Edhellen
Jay/Cris
Lapin
Mikey Go WOOGA
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Yenflarg
theweirdkind
A_Note_Chaotic
Fairlight
Psy-4
AngryRobotsInc
Cyberwulf
ZoZo
KelinciHutan
grmblfjx
Knorg
EileenK98
Rabid Badger
Aggie
InkWeaver
KGarrett
Lady Anne
Raine
Mafiosa
Narwhal
Spotts1701
Malganis
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Yenflarg

Yenflarg

Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate   Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 2:40 pm

Malganis wrote:
Very sad and strange...

Quote :
A temp worker at a Camden chocolate processing plant died this morning after he fell into an eight-foot vat that was mixing and melting chocolate to be used in Hershey's candy.

Vincent Smith II, 29, of Camden, was standing atop a platform and tossing blocks of solid, raw chocolate into the tank, Jason Laughlin, spokesman for the Camden County Prosecutor's Office, said.

The tank was heated at 120 degrees Fahrenheit, and paddles inside stirred the chocolate as it was thrown in.

When Smith fell around 10:30 a.m., one of his three coworkers on the platform immediately rushed to turn the machine off and the two others tried to pull him out.

But Smith had been struck by one of the paddles, suffering fatal injuries. He was pronounced dead at the scene, and Camden firefighters pulled his chocolate-covered body out of the tank.

Couldn't they have some way of putting the chocolate in there without using a guy standing above a very hot vat with big paddles in it, throwing the chocolate overboard? That just seems like an accident waiting to happen... which, apparently happened. At least put the guy in a safety harness so he doesn't tumble in.

Exactly!

ETA: Oh, crap. With this post I am no longer a fantabulous fangirl. Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate - Page 2 309696
Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Harley Quinn hyenaholic

Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate   Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 3:18 pm

Drowning in chocolate.

Is it bad of me that when I saw that title, I thought, "SHIT! I so hope that means what I think it means because SHIT that would be such an awesome way to die!"

?
Back to top Go down
https://www.fanfiction.net/~breechloader
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate   Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 3:41 pm

Harley Quinn hyenaholic wrote:
Drowning in chocolate.

Is it bad of me that when I saw that title, I thought, "SHIT! I so hope that means what I think it means because SHIT that would be such an awesome way to die!"

?
Oh, Harley. What are we going to do with you? :blink:
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

PostSubject: Re: Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate   Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 3:43 pm

Drown her in a vat of chocolate?
Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Harley Quinn hyenaholic

PostSubject: Re: Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate   Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 4:43 pm

That sounds good.
Back to top Go down
https://www.fanfiction.net/~breechloader
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate   Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 4:45 pm

Sara wrote:
120°, is that "very hot"?

No.

It's hot tub warm. Totally harlmess, assuming you don't sit in it for two hours. The fact that you can't breathe it probably did more to hurt this dude than the temperature.

Also, fuck Celsius.

Quote :
I prefer dark chocolate (doesn't matter what kind, though Ghirardelli Chocolate is definitely my favorite).

Quote :
(Though I do like Godiva Chocolate)

I like chocolate that isn't five bucks a bar. Razz

NESTLE CRUNCH OR HERSEY DARK FTW!!1!

Sara wrote:

Yes, but what type of chocolate? scratch
Back to top Go down
theweirdkind
Bastion of Sanity
Bastion of Sanity
theweirdkind

PostSubject: Re: Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate   Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 11:08 pm

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:

Quote :
I prefer dark chocolate (doesn't matter what kind, though Ghirardelli Chocolate is definitely my favorite).

Quote :
(Though I do like Godiva Chocolate)

I like chocolate that isn't five bucks a bar. Razz

NESTLE CRUNCH OR HERSEY DARK FTW!!1!
Mikey, you have horrible taste.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate   Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 11:12 pm

^
I have cheap taste. It's a good thing. Razz
Back to top Go down
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

PostSubject: Re: Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate   Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 12, 2009 4:43 am

I have expensive tastes in food. I guess that means I am able to recognize quality, but HOLY FUCK THAT'S EXPENSIVE
Back to top Go down
Lapin
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Lapin

PostSubject: Re: Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate   Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 12, 2009 9:51 am

(Has forked over too much money to Godiva to have any opinion)

Still, poor guy. That's a really unhappy way to die, considering that he had time to think baout what was happening before he was struck. That just seems scary.
Back to top Go down
theweirdkind
Bastion of Sanity
Bastion of Sanity
theweirdkind

PostSubject: Re: Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate   Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 12, 2009 10:29 am

grmblfjx wrote:
I have expensive tastes in food. I guess that means I am able to recognize quality, but HOLY FUCK THAT'S EXPENSIVE
That's why I only have it once every other year.
Back to top Go down
Knorg
Behind Blue Eyes
Behind Blue Eyes
Knorg

PostSubject: Re: Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate   Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 12, 2009 10:30 am

grmblfjx wrote:

Something similar happened to a Discworld character, as I recall.
Back to top Go down
Jay/Cris
The Word Police
The Word Police
Jay/Cris

PostSubject: Re: Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate   Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 12, 2009 10:54 am

Knorg wrote:
grmblfjx wrote:

Something similar happened to a Discworld character, as I recall.

Poor Miss LeJean. Wasn't that suicide, though?

ETA: in lieu of a thread-crossover, shouldn't you, as a Discworld-fan, know that knowledge = power = energy = matter = mass? I am disappointed, verily.
Back to top Go down
http://www.crisiks.livejournal.com
Knorg
Behind Blue Eyes
Behind Blue Eyes
Knorg

PostSubject: Re: Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate   Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 12, 2009 10:59 am

Jay/Cris wrote:

ETA: in lieu of a thread-crossover, shouldn't you, as a Discworld-fan, know that knowledge = power = energy = matter = mass? I am disappointed, verily.

I know that, but it doesn't work in the context of the thread! Shocked

People would assume I was saying the smart people had big fat arses.
Back to top Go down
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

PostSubject: Re: Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate   Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 12, 2009 1:00 pm

They do.

Well, I do.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate   Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 12, 2009 5:45 pm

^
Grmblfjx, that is not true.

You aren't smart. Razz
Back to top Go down
I_Lam_Edhellen
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
I_Lam_Edhellen

PostSubject: Re: Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate   Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 12, 2009 6:03 pm

I'm weeping for the chocolate ruined in this accident.
Back to top Go down
http://www.realelvish.net
The Unoriginal
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
The Unoriginal

PostSubject: Re: Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate   Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 13, 2009 4:18 am

Malganis wrote:
For me, for some reason the sadness of the story is compounded by the fact that he was a temp worker. It was just a temporary job, one that he was probably very happy to get (considering the economy), and he ends up dying doing it. Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate - Page 2 309696 Crying or Very sad
A high fraction of the workers in that factory might be temps, given how the product is highly seasonal. The same hands are hired year after year, just because of accidents like this.
My husband worked three months in a chocolate factory and because he was a temp doing shifts, it was the best paid job he ever had. But one day with the empty tray trasponter he went this close from losing both arms. The stainless steel tray that had gotten stuck in and got knocked in his place was munched like tinfoil.
Back to top Go down
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

PostSubject: Re: Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate   Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 13, 2009 4:54 am

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
^
Grmblfjx, that is not true.

You aren't smart. Razz

Awww, honey, I can see how it would be difficult for you to tell.
Back to top Go down
Lexin
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Lexin

PostSubject: Re: Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate   Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 13, 2009 5:14 am

I suppose 'Unfortunate bloke dies in industrial accident' wouldn't be nearly such a good headline, however true.

I hope the safety people were all over this company like a burr.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mpmrommel.co.uk
Sparrow
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Sparrow

PostSubject: Re: Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate   Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 4:46 pm

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Sara wrote:
120°, is that "very hot"?

No.

It's hot tub warm. Totally harlmess, assuming you don't sit in it for two hours. The fact that you can't breathe it probably did more to hurt this dude than the temperature.

Hot tubs are about 100-108°, according to Wiki. Still, 120° can supposedly take up to 5 minutes to burn you (according to water safety articles on Google), so he probably would've survived, possibly w/ minimal burn damage, if he hadn't been struck by the paddles.

Also, I was eating Hershey's kisses while reading this and I got up to go get more when I was done. Guess I'm desensitized.
Back to top Go down
http://sparrow779.livejournal.com/
KelinciHutan
Global Nomad
Global Nomad
KelinciHutan

PostSubject: Re: Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate   Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 5:29 pm

Sparrow wrote:
Also, I was eating Hershey's kisses while reading this and I got up to go get more when I was done. Guess I'm desensitized.
You aren't alone. This article actually gave me a craving for Hershey's. I think I must be evil. Shocked
Back to top Go down
bleachedblackcat
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
bleachedblackcat

PostSubject: Re: Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate   Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 15, 2009 1:13 am

Human flavored chocolate! Get it while it lasts!
Back to top Go down
Verandering
The Gender Offender
The Gender Offender
Verandering

PostSubject: Re: Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate   Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 15, 2009 5:48 am

Damn, poor guy. >_< Industrial accidents always weird me out.

But at least it was only Hershey's.
Back to top Go down
Rabid Badger
And This is Why I Need Medication
And This is Why I Need Medication
Rabid Badger

PostSubject: Re: Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate   Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 15, 2009 2:24 pm

bleachedblackcat wrote:
Human flavored chocolate! Get it while it lasts!

And now I'm having flashbacks to the Monty Python sketch about the Whizzo Chocolate Company:

"And this one. Crunchy frog."

*Flowery description of the frogs*

"Be that as it may, it's still a frog."

"Of course."

"Don't you even take the bones out?"

"If we took the bones out it wouldn't be crunchy, now would it?"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate   Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Chocolate factory worker dies after falling into vat of chocolate
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2