Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Six year old handcuffed for throwing a tantrum

Go down 
+31
Aggie
grmblfjx
rae
Electron Blue
theweirdkind
Hot Cancer
TheHedonist
EileenK98
Snake Bandage
ZOOLANDER
Just Chipper
Lady Anne
Freezer
Howithurts
zeke
Jay/Cris
Euglena
KJM
Chris91
Reidmar
Hawaiian Shirt
Reepicheep-chan
Cyberwulf
bleachedblackcat
Drabbler
Mikey Go WOOGA
Mr.Doobie
WD40
TheIan
rachel
knightwithoutacause
35 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
knightwithoutacause
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
knightwithoutacause

Six year old handcuffed for throwing a tantrum Empty
PostSubject: Six year old handcuffed for throwing a tantrum   Six year old handcuffed for throwing a tantrum EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 7:39 am

Six year old kindergarten student from Georgia taken by police from school and handcuffed after a tantrum.

Quote :
Officials at Creekside Elementary School in Milledgeville, located in central Georgia, called police on Friday to report that pupil Salecia Johnson was out of control. They said they had first tried to call her mother, but couldn't reach her.

School officials told WMAZ that they feared the child was a danger to herself and others. She was crying, tearing items off the wall, biting a door knob, trying to break a glass frame and jumping on top of a paper shredder. At one point, she reportedly knocked over a shelf, injuring the school principal, according to the Associated Press.

When I think of a tantrum, I think of a small child or immature adult screaming and crying hysterically. What I don't imagine is a child knocking over a shelf and injuring a principal. Biting a door knob? Seriously?

I read a couple of different sources for this story, and apparently the school wasted time calling numbers that were either incorrect or disconnected. The mother and father acknowledge that she has these 'mood swings', so you would think that they would make sure that they could be contacted should it occur while she is at school.

While the fact that the parents are so nonchalant about their child having these violent outbursts, that isn't the reason I brought this story to the site.

Quote :
"A 6-year-old in kindergarten. They don't have no business calling the police and handcuffing my child," Earnest Johnson, the girl's father, told WMAZ. The child's mother said the girl suffers "mood swings" but that was still no reason for authorities to treat her so harshly.

Well, you, sir, should be handcuffed and taken to the Grammar Police station for that use of a double negative. They put the child in handcuffs to keep someone else from getting hurt. That was the right thing for them to do.

According to another source, I found and read several on this story, the parents aren't going to just going to make a small fuss.

Quote :
However, Johnson's parents are trying to organize a community protest against the officer's actions, including reported plans to contact civil rights activist and MSNBC host Al Sharpton.

Really? Getting Al Sharpton involved? I am of the opinion that the police did exactly what they needed to do and that, while the child clearly needs to see a psychiatrist, she is also learning nothing from home about taking responsibility for actions if her parents' responses are anything to go by. The mother even stated, according to the NY Daily News I believe, that she didn't believe her daughter behaved badly enough for the police to be involved.

So, WGWers, what are your opinions on this matter? Do you think the parents will be successful with their protest? What about their plans to get Al Sharpton involved?

Last edited by knightwithoutacause on Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Posting while medicated will always end in at least one error.)
Back to top Go down
rachel
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
rachel

PostSubject: Re: Six year old handcuffed for throwing a tantrum   Six year old handcuffed for throwing a tantrum EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 7:48 am

I think the kid needs a full medical exam because it sounds like she has some kind of chemical imbalance.
Back to top Go down
TheIan
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
TheIan

PostSubject: Re: Six year old handcuffed for throwing a tantrum   Six year old handcuffed for throwing a tantrum EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 7:53 am

A six-year-old knocking over a shelf?

Bruce Banner, you're a terrible parent. Six year old handcuffed for throwing a tantrum 961878

Actually, if the kid had to be handcuffed, this would be a justifiable reason. If she could knock a shelf over, I imagine should tear off your kneecaps.
Back to top Go down
knightwithoutacause
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
knightwithoutacause

PostSubject: Re: Six year old handcuffed for throwing a tantrum   Six year old handcuffed for throwing a tantrum EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 8:08 am

I forgot to mention, one of the articles stated that she actually resisted the officers when one of them tried to calm her down. It was after she resisted that they placed her in cuffs and took her to the station, not a cell or anything though, to wait for her parents to finally show up.
Back to top Go down
WD40
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
WD40

PostSubject: Re: Six year old handcuffed for throwing a tantrum   Six year old handcuffed for throwing a tantrum EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 8:17 am

This sounds incredibly familiar...

BRB - Archives.

[EDIT]Thought so. Pepper spray instead of handcuffs, but still a child throwing a massive tantrum requiring police intervention, initial condemnation and a surprising justification of seemingly brutal police action.

Last edited by WD40 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:37 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Making sure everyone knew that the post was edited.)
Back to top Go down
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Mr.Doobie

PostSubject: Re: Six year old handcuffed for throwing a tantrum   Six year old handcuffed for throwing a tantrum EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 8:21 am

Quote :
If she could knock a shelf over, I imagine should tear off your kneecaps.

scratch

Are you being sarcastic?

Shelves aren't that hard to knock over man...
Back to top Go down
knightwithoutacause
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
knightwithoutacause

PostSubject: Re: Six year old handcuffed for throwing a tantrum   Six year old handcuffed for throwing a tantrum EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 8:34 am

WD40 wrote:

BRB - Archives.

Thought so. Pepper spray instead of handcuffs, but still a child throwing a massive tantrum requiring police intervention, initial condemnation and a surprising justification of seemingly brutal police action.

Wait, you think that the police were being brutal by placing her in handcuffs? Would you mind explaining how you arrived at this conclusion? Using pepper spray is indeed excessive, especially on a child, but handcuffs?
Back to top Go down
WD40
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
WD40

PostSubject: Re: Six year old handcuffed for throwing a tantrum   Six year old handcuffed for throwing a tantrum EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 8:43 am

knightwithoutacause wrote:
WD40 wrote:

BRB - Archives.

Thought so. Pepper spray instead of handcuffs, but still a child throwing a massive tantrum requiring police intervention, initial condemnation and a surprising justification of seemingly brutal police action.

Wait, you think that the police were being brutal by placing her in handcuffs? Would you mind explaining how you arrived at this conclusion? Using pepper spray is indeed excessive, especially on a child, but handcuffs?

I said "seemingly" brutal, but I appreciate how my wording is a bit strong. However, I'd still would argue that Joe Bloggs off the street, given no additional info or context, would think that placing handcuffs on a 6-year-old is at least extreme, and possibly brutal.

I'm not condemning the actions of the police, by the sounds of things they acted professionally, and I get the impression that if there'd been an alternative, they'd have taken it, but at face value: "6-year old put in handcuffs" sounds brutal to me.
Back to top Go down
knightwithoutacause
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
knightwithoutacause

PostSubject: Re: Six year old handcuffed for throwing a tantrum   Six year old handcuffed for throwing a tantrum EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 8:50 am

Indeed, I must concur that it does seem rather extreme without the knowledge of what occured. Thank you kindly for explaining what you meant so nicely, and I apologize for not quoting you correctly.

I don't know much about how civil actions work other than what I've had to do with disability, so can you or someone else tell me what actions the family could take against the police since they seem to be planning to do so? What help do they expect Al Sharpton to be?
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Six year old handcuffed for throwing a tantrum   Six year old handcuffed for throwing a tantrum EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 12:07 pm

Quote :
"A 6-year-old in kindergarten. They don't have no business calling the police and handcuffing my child," Earnest Johnson, the girl's father, told WMAZ

I'm with Chucklefuck on this one. I don't know why grown ass adults need to call in armed grown ass adults with better shit to do to deal with a goddamn six year old. If she's being THAT destructive, grab her by the throat and pin her to the wall until she calms down.

But we can't do that in today's America, can we? Partly because there's a solid chance every employee in the area is too out of shape to boss around a six year old, possibly because the limp wristed hippy types that become teachers don't have the balls to do anything to injure a child's "self esteem," and if not all that, then definitely because the parents would sue the school, costing the school a boatload of money, even though they would clearly have been in the right.

tl;dr Fuck fat people, weak people, stupid people, teachers (but I repeat myself Six year old handcuffed for throwing a tantrum 961878 ), and lawyers. Colbert
Back to top Go down
Drabbler
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Drabbler

PostSubject: Re: Six year old handcuffed for throwing a tantrum   Six year old handcuffed for throwing a tantrum EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 1:26 pm

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Partly because there's a solid chance every employee in the area is too out of shape to boss around a six year old, possibly because the limp wristed hippy types that become teachers don't have the balls to do anything to injure a child's "self esteem,"
No, it's more that teachers typically aren't allowed to do anything. No matter how much the child is acting up, the teachers don't dare to lay a finger on her, because they could get arrested, would probably lose their license to teach, and almost certainly would be fired or suspended.
Mikey wrote:
...then definitely because the parents would sue the school, costing the school a boatload of money, even though they would clearly have been in the right.
And then there's that. It's clear the parents are going to be looking to sue the school anyway for calling the cops. Do you think they'd be any less litigious if they'd found out a teacher grabbed their kid? So they called in people who still have the authority to physically restrain a child.

I'm just glad that this isn't one of those stories where the parents' side is the only one getting reported. There's still plenty of knee-jerk "There's no excuse for handcuffing a child!" response, but also a lot more sensible reaction than many of these get.
Back to top Go down
bleachedblackcat
bleachedblackcat

PostSubject: Re: Six year old handcuffed for throwing a tantrum   Six year old handcuffed for throwing a tantrum EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 3:52 pm

Between this and the kid who managed to chase his entire class into another room I'm starting to think teachers need blow guns with sleeping darts in them or something.
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: Six year old handcuffed for throwing a tantrum   Six year old handcuffed for throwing a tantrum EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 4:46 pm

Or maybe we could go back to the days of the cane and the paddle.
Back to top Go down
Reepicheep-chan
Important Person
Important Person
Reepicheep-chan

PostSubject: Re: Six year old handcuffed for throwing a tantrum   Six year old handcuffed for throwing a tantrum EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 5:55 pm

Yeah, the job of a teacher is to teach, not to subdue people (even children) acting violently. In theory a police officer should be trained to do just that in a manner that is safest for everyone involved. Calling the police after failing to get a hold of the parents was the best way to go, I think.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Six year old handcuffed for throwing a tantrum   Six year old handcuffed for throwing a tantrum EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 7:32 pm

Reepy wrote:
Calling the police after failing to get a hold of the parents was the best way to go, I think.

You're a fucking idiot. We aren't taking tax money to pay police officers to be goddamn parents. They, hopefully, have better shit to do. If this is such a problem, have one or two individuals on the grounds who are trained, equipped, and authorized to subdue kids who flip out on this level.

ETA: And charge the parents of kids that require sub subduing a ludicrous amount of money. That ought to put a quick end to it.
Back to top Go down
Hawaiian Shirt
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Hawaiian Shirt

PostSubject: Re: Six year old handcuffed for throwing a tantrum   Six year old handcuffed for throwing a tantrum EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 7:35 pm

haha, "having cops do it it so expensive! Let's just have two or three trained specialized paid individuals at each school do it that'll save he taxpayers"
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Six year old handcuffed for throwing a tantrum   Six year old handcuffed for throwing a tantrum EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 7:51 pm

^
That's why we charge parents an obscene fee every time it has to happen. Well, that and incentivizing that they raise their kids remotely well. Colbert

Though you don't necessarily need another employee, you could train the Principal or something.
Back to top Go down
Reidmar
Reidmar

Location : A string of Code in the Interwebz( IF living = true input ragequit)

PostSubject: Re: Six year old handcuffed for throwing a tantrum   Six year old handcuffed for throwing a tantrum EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 8:42 pm

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
^
That's why we charge parents an obscene fee every time it has to happen. Well, that and incentivizing that they raise their kids remotely well. Colbert

Though you don't necessarily need another employee, you could train the Principal or something.

The sarcasm... you missed it. Colbert
Back to top Go down
Chris91
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Chris91

PostSubject: Re: Six year old handcuffed for throwing a tantrum   Six year old handcuffed for throwing a tantrum EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 6:44 am

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
You're a fucking idiot.

Says the guy who cheers for a suspected rapist during the NFL season.

P.S. You still owe me an apology.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Six year old handcuffed for throwing a tantrum   Six year old handcuffed for throwing a tantrum EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 11:52 am

Chris91 wrote:
Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
You're a fucking idiot.

Says the guy who cheers for a suspected rapist during the NFL season.

P.S. You still owe me an apology.

Says the guy who cheers for a known cheater during the NFL season.

P.S. Tough titty.
Back to top Go down
Chris91
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Chris91

PostSubject: Re: Six year old handcuffed for throwing a tantrum   Six year old handcuffed for throwing a tantrum EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 2:46 pm

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
I love seeing black people get killed.
Back to top Go down
KJM
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Six year old handcuffed for throwing a tantrum   Six year old handcuffed for throwing a tantrum EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 3:08 pm

Please, stop. We don't need another wankfest centered around you.
Back to top Go down
http://kennethmrrw502.blogspot.com/
Chris91
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Chris91

PostSubject: Re: Six year old handcuffed for throwing a tantrum   Six year old handcuffed for throwing a tantrum EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 3:09 pm

Mikey Go WOOGA fired the first shot in this war, not me.
Back to top Go down
KJM
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Six year old handcuffed for throwing a tantrum   Six year old handcuffed for throwing a tantrum EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 3:13 pm

And I've fired my last shot. From now on, I'll just sit back and enjoy the show.
Back to top Go down
http://kennethmrrw502.blogspot.com/
Chris91
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Chris91

PostSubject: Re: Six year old handcuffed for throwing a tantrum   Six year old handcuffed for throwing a tantrum EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 3:21 pm

KJM wrote:
And I've fired my last shot.

Somehow I doubt it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Six year old handcuffed for throwing a tantrum   Six year old handcuffed for throwing a tantrum Empty

Back to top Go down

Six year old handcuffed for throwing a tantrum
Page 1 of 8Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next