Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

2 year-old unable to cry

Go down 
+13
Jay/Cris
Reepicheep-chan
Sloth
Seule
Malganis
KelinciHutan
Fitchsticks
Kitbug
Little Egypt
Exodia's Right Leg
ZoZo
unskilled78
Raine
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Raine
Challenge Winner!
Challenge Winner!
Raine

2 year-old unable to cry Empty
PostSubject: 2 year-old unable to cry   2 year-old unable to cry EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 8:00 pm

Story found here.

Quote :
LITTLE Tianna Lewis McHugh is the girl who cannot cry because it could kill her.

The two-year-old has a rare condition which means tears could trigger a fatal fit.

Her parents, Ceri Lewis and Andy McHugh, face a daily battle to make sure she doesn't cry.

Tianna looks as though she's died when she has a terrifying Reflex Anoxic Seizure (RAS).

Her skin goes white, her body stiffens, her heart stops beating and she stops breathing.

Other children with the condition react to pain, fear or fright, but Tianna has a form so extreme that simply crying can trigger a fit.

She was diagnosed with the condition aged 18 months and has since survived 10 seizures.

The most serious lasted two hours.

Poor kid, and poor parents. It must be terrifying to have a child with such a condition, especially one in the terrible twos. I had no idea such a condition existed either, nature really likes to screw things up pretty badly. 2 year-old unable to cry 309696
Back to top Go down
unskilled78
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: 2 year-old unable to cry   2 year-old unable to cry EmptyTue Nov 10, 2009 1:05 am

She'll grow up spoiled. One little lip wobble, one sniffle: she gets what she wants. Her 2-year-old mind will draw the obvious conclusion.
Back to top Go down
Raine
Challenge Winner!
Challenge Winner!
Raine

PostSubject: Re: 2 year-old unable to cry   2 year-old unable to cry EmptyTue Nov 10, 2009 2:31 am

...I was thinking that too and I'm somewhat hoping they never bring her into a supermarket.
Back to top Go down
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

PostSubject: Re: 2 year-old unable to cry   2 year-old unable to cry EmptyTue Nov 10, 2009 2:56 am

Is it wrong that the first thing I thought was "I want that kid sitting behind me on a plane"?
Back to top Go down
Exodia's Right Leg
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Exodia's Right Leg

PostSubject: Re: 2 year-old unable to cry   2 year-old unable to cry EmptyTue Nov 10, 2009 4:08 am

Kids cry all the time. It'll be hard for her just to survive her youth.
Back to top Go down
Little Egypt

Little Egypt

PostSubject: Re: 2 year-old unable to cry   2 year-old unable to cry EmptyTue Nov 10, 2009 5:09 am

The kid's not going to have a happy adulthood. I mean, she won't be able to cope with so many things, and the parents have got to let her go at some point to make her way in the world.

Jesus, I'm glad I don't have kids.
Back to top Go down
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

PostSubject: Re: 2 year-old unable to cry   2 year-old unable to cry EmptyTue Nov 10, 2009 7:11 am

I just read the full article, and as it happens, this used to happen to me as a kid. I grew out of it, and I don't think I fucked myself up too badly. Apparently most kids do grow out of it.

Anyway, the article is poorly reported. What do they mean by "the seizure went on for two hours"? If it did, I'm pretty sure there's no coming back from that. [insert ZoZo rant about reporting of health issues in the media]

So, basically, let's hope these parents don't spoilt her. But of course they will. And the world will be a great big shock to her.
Back to top Go down
Kitbug
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Kitbug

PostSubject: Re: 2 year-old unable to cry   2 year-old unable to cry EmptyTue Nov 10, 2009 9:07 am

ZoZo wrote:
[insert ZoZo rant about reporting of health issues in the media]

YAY OFF-TOPIC TIME! :D

I'm a journalism major, ex-animal bioscience major (thanks to a series of complications regarding my status as a semi-cripple that had to pick up a desk job as opposed to playing with elephants in a zoo, but that's another story altogether), and I have to say that how the media reports on health issues is not the least bit surprising to me because most of them don't have to take anything remotely resembling a basic biology course while in college. My peers are the most ignorant and headdesk-inducing group of people when it comes to anything scientific in nature, and I want to bludgeon them constantly. Most of them don't even have a basic understanding of how immunizations work. And until schools start requiring their communications students to take more science credits than ecology 001, this kind of idiotic reporting is going to continue.

/steps off soapbox

ON TOPIC: I hope to god the kid does grow out of this because that's incredibly distressing, not being able emotionally vent like that. 2 year-old unable to cry 309696
Back to top Go down
http://kitbug.livejournal.com
Fitchsticks
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Fitchsticks

PostSubject: Re: 2 year-old unable to cry   2 year-old unable to cry EmptyTue Nov 10, 2009 9:22 am

It could be that she becomes incredibly mature rather than spoilt. If the parents actually EXPLAINED to her that it is incredibly dangerous for her to cry or throw a tantrum rather than buying her a Barbie every time she wells up then she might not grow into a little madam. Of course whatever way you try and deal with this it isn't exactly going to end with her being a perfectly normal child, sadly.
Back to top Go down
KelinciHutan
Global Nomad
Global Nomad
KelinciHutan

PostSubject: Re: 2 year-old unable to cry   2 year-old unable to cry EmptyTue Nov 10, 2009 9:34 am

Little Egypt wrote:
The kid's not going to have a happy adulthood. I mean, she won't be able to cope with so many things, and the parents have got to let her go at some point to make her way in the world.
Yeah, no. Assuming she doesn't grow out of it, as is apparently entirely possible, she will take the obvious route and learn not to cry because it could kill her. In the absence of that response to bad situations, she'll develop other methods of expressing sadness which will likely, as she matures, be just as valid for her as crying is to anyone else. Humans are terribly adaptable.
Back to top Go down
Malganis
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Malganis

PostSubject: Re: 2 year-old unable to cry   2 year-old unable to cry EmptyTue Nov 10, 2009 10:22 am

KelinciHutan wrote:
In the absence of that response to bad situations, she'll develop other methods of expressing sadness which will likely, as she matures, be just as valid for her as crying is to anyone else. Humans are terribly adaptable.

This. Everyone expresses emotions different ways... this kid just has to do so for health reasons.

Besides, it's entirely possible that she could be naturally even-tempered and not prone to too much crying... it's just that when it does happen, it could kill her.

Still, I am wondering how she survived infancy, poor kid. 2 year-old unable to cry 309696
Back to top Go down
Seule
My Mescaline
My Mescaline
Seule

PostSubject: Re: 2 year-old unable to cry   2 year-old unable to cry EmptyTue Nov 10, 2009 12:19 pm

I reckon that this girl growing up spoilt is a very small price to pay for her, you know, growing up alive.
Back to top Go down
Sloth
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Sloth

PostSubject: Re: 2 year-old unable to cry   2 year-old unable to cry EmptyTue Nov 10, 2009 2:47 pm

ZoZo wrote:
Is it wrong that the first thing I thought was "I want that kid sitting behind me on a plane"?

:roflmao:
Back to top Go down
Reepicheep-chan
Important Person
Important Person
Reepicheep-chan

PostSubject: Re: 2 year-old unable to cry   2 year-old unable to cry EmptyTue Nov 10, 2009 3:28 pm

I see a lot of mind drugs in her future. I know I cry like a bitch when I PMS unless I am on my meds.

God, I know she is a human being and she had parents who love her and all that jazz, but shit. This is one of those cases where biology is saying 'this child should die'. Her survival is going to make evolution cry.

Poor thing. It sucks when nature wants you dead.
Back to top Go down
Malganis
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Malganis

PostSubject: Re: 2 year-old unable to cry   2 year-old unable to cry EmptyTue Nov 10, 2009 3:36 pm

Reepicheep-chan wrote:

That sounds like a Final Destination sequel. If you thought it was bad when Death was actively trying to knock you off...
Back to top Go down
Jay/Cris
The Word Police
The Word Police
Jay/Cris

PostSubject: Re: 2 year-old unable to cry   2 year-old unable to cry EmptyTue Nov 10, 2009 4:06 pm

KelinciHutan wrote:
Little Egypt wrote:
Yeah, no. Assuming she doesn't grow out of it, as is apparently entirely possible, she will take the obvious route and learn not to cry because it could kill her. In the absence of that response to bad situations, she'll develop other methods of expressing sadness which will likely, as she matures, be just as valid for her as crying is to anyone else. Humans are terribly adaptable.

Will it work like that? I mean, I've got no idea how this kind of syndrom behaves - biology credits, what're those? - but is the actual act of tearing up that causes the seizure, or is the underlying emotion of stress/sadness/frustration that's the real threat?
Back to top Go down
http://www.crisiks.livejournal.com
KelinciHutan
Global Nomad
Global Nomad
KelinciHutan

PostSubject: Re: 2 year-old unable to cry   2 year-old unable to cry EmptyTue Nov 10, 2009 4:19 pm

Jay/Cris wrote:
KelinciHutan wrote:
Little Egypt wrote:
Will it work like that? I mean, I've got no idea how this kind of syndrom behaves - biology credits, what're those? - but is the actual act of tearing up that causes the seizure, or is the underlying emotion of stress/sadness/frustration that's the real threat?
Darn. I was thinking more from a psychological point of view, at how people deal with sadness, but...

*scans article* *Googles*

Hm. It looks like it could go either way. Apparently RAS can be triggered by pain or fright (both of which could be emotional) or sometimes by very hot or cold baths (which could be emotional responses to the sudden stimuli or the sudden stimuli themselves). If the problem isn't the emotional response, I stand by what I said. If it is then I concede to Little Egypt. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: 2 year-old unable to cry   2 year-old unable to cry EmptyTue Nov 10, 2009 4:58 pm

unskilled78 wrote:
She'll grow up spoiled. One little lip wobble, one sniffle: she gets what she wants. Her 2-year-old mind will draw the obvious conclusion.

Raine wrote:
...I was thinking that too and I'm somewhat hoping they never bring her into a supermarket.

ZoZo wrote:

Reepicheep-chan wrote:
I see a lot of mind drugs in her future. I know I cry like a bitch when I PMS unless I am on my meds.

God, I know she is a human being and she had parents who love her and all that jazz, but shit. This is one of those cases where biology is saying 'this child should die'. Her survival is going to make evolution cry.

WGW - They like to make sure you're going to hell. Razz

Zoey wrote:

So, basically, let's hope these parents don't spoilt her.

The British - BECAUSE FUCK TENSES, THAT'S WHY!
Back to top Go down
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

PostSubject: Re: 2 year-old unable to cry   2 year-old unable to cry EmptyTue Nov 10, 2009 5:53 pm

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Zoey wrote:

I... oh God. The day has come when Mikey has picked on my typo. :unskilled78:
Back to top Go down
Somath Cegem
Wonderfully English
Wonderfully English
Somath Cegem

PostSubject: Re: 2 year-old unable to cry   2 year-old unable to cry EmptyTue Nov 10, 2009 6:16 pm

ZoZo wrote:
Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Zoey wrote:

Been there, done that, just wait until skillet picks up on a typo you made, THEN you've hit rock bottom.
Back to top Go down
myeerah
Contributor
Contributor
myeerah

PostSubject: Re: 2 year-old unable to cry   2 year-old unable to cry EmptyTue Nov 10, 2009 6:40 pm

I don't know how you keep a child from crying. Even when you do absolutely everything in your power to make them happy, sometimes you get horrible fits of prolonged shrieking and sobs. I had one of those the other night with my 3 1/2 year old. I foresee awful things for this child in the future.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: 2 year-old unable to cry   2 year-old unable to cry EmptyTue Nov 10, 2009 7:28 pm

myeerah wrote:
I don't know how you keep a child from crying. Even when you do absolutely everything in your power to make them happy, sometimes you get horrible fits of prolonged shrieking and sobs. I had one of those the other night with my 3 1/2 year old. I foresee awful things for this child in the future.

The good news is that they won't be prolonged with this girl. Razz
Back to top Go down
Narwhal
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Narwhal

PostSubject: Re: 2 year-old unable to cry   2 year-old unable to cry EmptyTue Nov 10, 2009 9:46 pm

Somath Cegem wrote:
ZoZo wrote:
Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Zoey wrote:

Been there, done that, just wait until skillet picks up on a typo you made, THEN you've hit rock bottom.

I was totally about to reply to this saying, "No, you know that you're dicked when Somath gets on your ass about a typo." Then I noticed you were the one who posted this. FUCKING LOL
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: 2 year-old unable to cry   2 year-old unable to cry EmptyTue Nov 10, 2009 10:20 pm

Narwhal wrote:
Somath Cegem wrote:
ZoZo wrote:
Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Zoey wrote:

I was totally about to reply to this saying, "No, you know that you're dicked when Somath gets on your ass about a typo." Then I noticed you were the one who posted this. FUCKING LOL

You're stoned again, aren't you? Colbert
Back to top Go down
Narwhal
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Narwhal

PostSubject: Re: 2 year-old unable to cry   2 year-old unable to cry EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 1:21 am

No, DAD, I'm actually on a month-long break.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2 year-old unable to cry   2 year-old unable to cry Empty

Back to top Go down

2 year-old unable to cry
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next