Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

NYC DOE Declares War on Words

Go down 
+18
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Hawaiian Shirt
Hot Cancer
Cyberwulf
Just Chipper
Exodia's Right Leg
lemmingwriter
Mikey Go WOOGA
Reidmar
EileenK98
GamemasterAnthony
Reepicheep-chan
WD40
Drabbler
TheIan
Sakurelf
Rabid Badger
Lady Anne
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

NYC DOE Declares War on Words - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NYC DOE Declares War on Words   NYC DOE Declares War on Words - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 11:39 am

TheHedonist wrote:
Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Past that, it's all elective BS there to kill time. Colbert

IDK, what about foreign languages? I remember the Spanish and (if you elected into it) Portuguese tests being a big deal at my schools, but I also lived in an area with a lot of people who speak those languages, so that might just be me.

Part of the problem with languages is that they'll let you learn ANY useless fucking language in order to fulfill the requirement. Ich sprecke Deutsch. Yet I have NO USE for German. I will NEVER have to speak German. Even in Germany, everyone capable of passing the equivalent of the fifth grade speaks English better than I do.

It's the same with pretty much every other Europoor language, really.

The only languages that should be able to fulfill a mandatory requirement are Chinese, Arabic, and Spanish. Because there's money in the first two, and the third one is important if you want to order El Quesoburgero in the American southeast. Colbert

If you WANT to go off and learn German in addition to that, go nuts.
Back to top Go down
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

PostSubject: Re: NYC DOE Declares War on Words   NYC DOE Declares War on Words - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 1:52 pm

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Even in Germany, everyone capable of passing the equivalent of the fifth grade speaks English better than I do.

Is this bait? So I'll be all enamored and say something nice to you this week?

Yes, clearly this has to be about me. Psshh.
Back to top Go down
Jay/Cris
The Word Police
The Word Police
Jay/Cris

PostSubject: Re: NYC DOE Declares War on Words   NYC DOE Declares War on Words - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 2:55 pm

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Ich sprecke Deutsch. Yet I have NO USE for German.

This begs the question: why the fuck did you chose it, then?
Back to top Go down
http://www.crisiks.livejournal.com
Reepicheep-chan
Important Person
Important Person
Reepicheep-chan

PostSubject: Re: NYC DOE Declares War on Words   NYC DOE Declares War on Words - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 3:05 pm

^ There are not a lot of places in the states where ANY particular second language is likely to be useful unless you go out of your way to use it...
Back to top Go down
lemmingwriter
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: NYC DOE Declares War on Words   NYC DOE Declares War on Words - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 3:12 pm

Reepicheep-chan wrote:
^ There are not a lot of places in the states where ANY particular second language is likely to be useful unless you go out of your way to use it...

Around here (Southern California), you could make a strong case for Spanish. Depending on your field, you could make a case for just about anything here, but Spanish is in demand, as is Arabic (both are good if you're in government or law enforcement work). If you're doing business, Chinese is the most useful language right now.
Back to top Go down
Howithurts
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Howithurts

PostSubject: Re: NYC DOE Declares War on Words   NYC DOE Declares War on Words - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 7:36 pm

It's because Harley is actually a spambot that just posts things that it thinks is relevant to the conversation.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: NYC DOE Declares War on Words   NYC DOE Declares War on Words - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 8:52 pm

grmblfjx wrote:
Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Even in Germany, everyone capable of passing the equivalent of the fifth grade speaks English better than I do.

Is this bait? So I'll be all enamored and say something nice to you this week?

Yes, clearly this has to be about me. Psshh.

You type it better than I do, at any rate. Colbert In that one video you posted you sounded British. Goddamn British. Angry

Jay/Cris wrote:
Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Ich sprecke Deutsch. Yet I have NO USE for German.

This begs the question: why the fuck did you chose it, then?

1.) It seemed easy
2.) I wanted to be able to understand every fifth word in Rammstein songs. NYC DOE Declares War on Words - Page 2 588739
3.) Because of WKU's idiotic policies, I couldn't take Spanish 101, and because of my stupidity, there was no way I could pass Spanish 102.

lemmingwriter wrote:
Reepicheep-chan wrote:

Around here (Southern California), you could make a strong case for Spanish. Depending on your field, you could make a case for just about anything here, but Spanish is in demand, as is Arabic (both are good if you're in government or law enforcement work). If you're doing business, Chinese is the most useful language right now.

The only reason anyone should learn Spanish is to be able to tell those smelly Mexicans to learn goddamn English. Trollface
Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Harley Quinn hyenaholic

PostSubject: Re: NYC DOE Declares War on Words   NYC DOE Declares War on Words - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 31, 2012 6:51 am

Everybody's offended by something. When are people gonna realise that? It's no use trying to keep everybody happy.

No use at all.
Back to top Go down
https://www.fanfiction.net/~breechloader
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: NYC DOE Declares War on Words   NYC DOE Declares War on Words - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 31, 2012 3:49 pm

Harley, please read the thread before you comment. I know it's hard, but try. You'll end up with a more balanced view of the subject matter.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NYC DOE Declares War on Words   NYC DOE Declares War on Words - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

NYC DOE Declares War on Words
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2