Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The "What in the fuck kind of bill is this?" Thread

Go down 
+43
myeerah
The Unoriginal
grmblfjx
Aggie
knightwithoutacause
TheHedonist
rachel
bleachedblackcat
Nihilist
Electron Blue
Hawaiian Shirt
Sparrow
I_Lam_Edhellen
Sutremaine
EileenK98
lemmingwriter
Disco Stu
Mr.Doobie
King Bee
Sakurelf
Spotts1701
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Mr. Comic Book
Chris91
WD40
Penguin
TheIan
Maximilia
Reidmar
Howithurts
Reepicheep-chan
Raine
Freezer
Adagio
Mikey Go WOOGA
Cyberwulf
Owlish
rae
William Shakespeare
Soylent Green
Lady Anne
Jocelyn
fapfapfap
47 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
fapfapfap
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
fapfapfap

The "What in the fuck kind of bill is this?" Thread Empty
PostSubject: The "What in the fuck kind of bill is this?" Thread   The "What in the fuck kind of bill is this?" Thread EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 7:28 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Okay, so not a bill, but an act. Still, it goes in the same legislative category and it would potentially cause catastrophic damage to the American law system.

Quote :
This legislation would grant just one chamber in Congress, either the House or Senate, the ability and legal right to exercise a heckler's veto against enforcement of laws of the United States. Extremists in either political party could lead just one chamber to refuse to allow existing laws to be enforced out of ideological disdain for those laws, favoritism of corporate interests over Americans, obstructionism, corruption or inaction.

How can this be, you say? I thought laws could be adopted or changed only if approved by majorities in the House and Senate, followed by presidential signature. Once such laws are properly enacted, the executive branch must enforce the laws unless overturned by the judicial branch, right? Isn't that what Articles I, II and III of the Constitution and separation of powers are all about?

Yeah that's what I remember learning in my 7th grade American history class because I paid attention the whole time!

So basically this would open up the possibility of a single person being able to fuck up the entire countr-- oh wait, that's right: this is America. Business as usual.
Back to top Go down
Jocelyn

Jocelyn

PostSubject: Re: The "What in the fuck kind of bill is this?" Thread   The "What in the fuck kind of bill is this?" Thread EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 7:27 pm

Holy fuck. As if it wasn't enough that a dozen or so states in the effing union have passed state constitutional amendments DENYING "full faith and credit" to various laws of other states (which is supposed to be guaranteed under the US Constitution.)

We are effing disintegrating.
Back to top Go down
http://jocelyncs.livejournal.com
fapfapfap
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
fapfapfap

PostSubject: Re: The "What in the fuck kind of bill is this?" Thread   The "What in the fuck kind of bill is this?" Thread EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 9:51 am

And another, except that this one actually passed:

Quote :
Advocates for a law to prohibit bullying and provide school districts with the tools to address the problem were dealt a stinging rebuke Wednesday morning in the Republican-controlled Michigan Senate.

The GOP pushed through an amended bill, SB 137, which does nothing advocates have pushed for — including reporting requirements and enumeration, or listing, of protected classes. In addition, the legislation provides an exception which allows bullying based on “moral convictions.”

The full language of the insert is: “This section does not prohibit a statement of a sincerely held religious belief or moral conviction of a school employee, school volunteer, pupil, or a pupil and parent or guardian.”

Once again, an exemption made on religious grounds without remembering that religion in the states doesn't mean Christianity all the time. Let's see them enforce the law when an atheist makes fun of a Christian kid for believing in an old white man that lives in the sky. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: The "What in the fuck kind of bill is this?" Thread   The "What in the fuck kind of bill is this?" Thread EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 12:43 pm

fapfapfap wrote:

Quote :
Advocates for a law to prohibit bullying and provide school districts with the tools to address the problem were dealt a stinging rebuke Wednesday morning in the Republican-controlled Michigan Senate.

The GOP pushed through an amended bill, SB 137, which does nothing advocates have pushed for — including reporting requirements and enumeration, or listing, of protected classes. In addition, the legislation provides an exception which allows bullying based on “moral convictions.”

The full language of the insert is: “This section does not prohibit a statement of a sincerely held religious belief or moral conviction of a school employee, school volunteer, pupil, or a pupil and parent or guardian.”

Once again, an exemption made on religious grounds without remembering that religion in the states doesn't mean Christianity all the time. Let's see them enforce the law when an atheist makes fun of a Christian kid for believing in an old white man that lives in the sky. Rolling Eyes
Am I the only one tempted to go to Michigan and do just that?
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Soylent Green
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Soylent Green

PostSubject: Re: The "What in the fuck kind of bill is this?" Thread   The "What in the fuck kind of bill is this?" Thread EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 6:20 pm

fapfapfap wrote:

Quote :

Someone beat you to it. A Muslim student in Dearborn or Detroit (probably Dearborn) got in trouble for bullying a Christian. He said that it was freedom of speech on grounds of religion because he believed that she was an infidel.

Those legislators really missed the point. The reason Matt killed himself is because of religious bullying and little shits that hear from their parents that gays are immoral and have no reason to keep living. In the middle school I went to (in Michigan FYI), there was a Protestant teacher who would bully the Catholic students. That bill makes me so angry.

Edited to add that I'm not entirely surprised. I remember when people found out that one incredibly smart kid was an atheist. A lot of the teachers looked the other way when he got picked on. One even got into a huge debate with him. I think we were in seventh grade. I grew up in West Michigan, which is a bible belt all by itself, so maybe mid Michigan and East Michigan fare better?
Back to top Go down
William Shakespeare
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
William Shakespeare

PostSubject: Re: The "What in the fuck kind of bill is this?" Thread   The "What in the fuck kind of bill is this?" Thread EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 6:37 pm

Lady Anne wrote:
fapfapfap wrote:

Well, then you'd need to claim Atheism actually is a religion and that would just tip over a whole cart of apples, wouldn't it?
Back to top Go down
fapfapfap
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
fapfapfap

PostSubject: Re: The "What in the fuck kind of bill is this?" Thread   The "What in the fuck kind of bill is this?" Thread EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 7:14 pm

William Shakespeare wrote:
Lady Anne wrote:
fapfapfap wrote:

Well, then you'd need to claim Atheism actually is a religion and that would just tip over a whole cart of apples, wouldn't it?

I'm making the accusation based on some sincerely-held moral convictions.
Back to top Go down
William Shakespeare
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
William Shakespeare

PostSubject: Re: The "What in the fuck kind of bill is this?" Thread   The "What in the fuck kind of bill is this?" Thread EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 8:33 pm

fapfapfap wrote:
Lady Anne wrote:
fapfapfap wrote:

"There is no god" isn't a moral conviction.
Back to top Go down
fapfapfap
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
fapfapfap

PostSubject: Re: The "What in the fuck kind of bill is this?" Thread   The "What in the fuck kind of bill is this?" Thread EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 8:37 pm

fapfapfap wrote:
Lady Anne wrote:
fapfapfap wrote:

"There is no god" isn't a moral conviction.

Well, it's a good thing I didn't say or refer to any such thing. Razz

That atheism is part of the religio-spiritual paradigm and not completely independent of it like many atheists believe is the moral conviction I'm referring to.
Back to top Go down
fapfapfap
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
fapfapfap

PostSubject: Re: The "What in the fuck kind of bill is this?" Thread   The "What in the fuck kind of bill is this?" Thread EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 6:05 pm

Aaand I can't believe that no one's made a topic about Mississippi's Prop 26. Here's a good low-down: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Seriously, this is the one of the scariest things I've read in a very long time.
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: The "What in the fuck kind of bill is this?" Thread   The "What in the fuck kind of bill is this?" Thread EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 7:27 pm

fapfapfap wrote:
Aaand I can't believe that no one's made a topic about Mississippi's Prop 26. Here's a good low-down: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Seriously, this is the one of the scariest things I've read in a very long time.
Why is it that so many proponents of "small" government want to expand the government's control over a woman's uterus?

Also, fertilized eggs naturally fail to implant a significant portion of the time. How can anyone even prove that a fertilized egg ever existed? Are they going to hire people to examine women's tampons and sanitary napkins?

If this does pass, I don't think it will do anything to protect embryos. Rather, it will make women hide pregnancies for fear that a miscarriage could bring them criminal prosecution.
Back to top Go down
rae
Contributor
Contributor
rae

PostSubject: Re: The "What in the fuck kind of bill is this?" Thread   The "What in the fuck kind of bill is this?" Thread EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 11:18 pm

People say it won't come to that... except that it already HAS, just not in Mississippi.
Back to top Go down
Owlish
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Owlish

PostSubject: Re: The "What in the fuck kind of bill is this?" Thread   The "What in the fuck kind of bill is this?" Thread EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 12:21 am

Lady Anne wrote:
fapfapfap wrote:

It may not be a religion, but US Supreme Court precedent accords it the same status and protection as any religion.

Really, there's no excuse for such ignorance when you have the internet. Colbert

fapfapfap wrote:
Aaand I can't believe that no one's made a topic about Mississippi's Prop 26.

Probably because we could have a whole fucking thread on "godawful reproductive laws." Or maybe a "godawful misogynistic laws" thread. Or maybe a "Fuck You, America" subforum... Dry
Back to top Go down
fapfapfap
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
fapfapfap

PostSubject: Re: The "What in the fuck kind of bill is this?" Thread   The "What in the fuck kind of bill is this?" Thread EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 8:16 am

Owlish wrote:
fapfapfap wrote:

Probably because we could have a whole fucking thread on "godawful reproductive laws." Or maybe a "godawful misogynistic laws" thread. Or maybe a "Fuck You, America" subforum... Dry

Oh good, I'm glad I made this thread then.
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: The "What in the fuck kind of bill is this?" Thread   The "What in the fuck kind of bill is this?" Thread EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 12:55 pm

Lady Anne wrote:
If this does pass, I don't think it will do anything to protect embryos.
It's kinda sweet that you think this is all about protecting embryos, and not about punishing sluts.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: The "What in the fuck kind of bill is this?" Thread   The "What in the fuck kind of bill is this?" Thread EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 12:59 pm

Jocelyn wrote:
Holy fuck. As if it wasn't enough that a dozen or so states in the effing union have passed state constitutional amendments DENYING "full faith and credit" to various laws of other states (which is supposed to be guaranteed under the US Constitution.)

"Full faith and credit" has been a figment of your imagination since gun permits in once state were denied in another.
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: The "What in the fuck kind of bill is this?" Thread   The "What in the fuck kind of bill is this?" Thread EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 5:07 pm

Cyberwulf wrote:
Lady Anne wrote:
If this does pass, I don't think it will do anything to protect embryos.
It's kinda sweet that you think this is all about protecting embryos, and not about punishing sluts.
It's being sold as a measure to protect babies. In reality, of course, you're right--it's about punishing women for being sexual (or possibly even for existing).
Back to top Go down
Owlish
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Owlish

PostSubject: Re: The "What in the fuck kind of bill is this?" Thread   The "What in the fuck kind of bill is this?" Thread EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 9:14 pm

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Jocelyn wrote:

"Full faith and credit" has been a figment of your imagination since gun permits in once state were denied in another.

Except for the part where "full faith and credit" doesn't apply to permits of any kind. Rolling Eyes It applies to legislation and court judgments. Trolling fail.
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: The "What in the fuck kind of bill is this?" Thread   The "What in the fuck kind of bill is this?" Thread EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 7:40 am

fapfapfap wrote:
Owlish wrote:
fapfapfap wrote:

And...it failed. For once, the people of Mississippi used their brains.
Back to top Go down
fapfapfap
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
fapfapfap

PostSubject: Re: The "What in the fuck kind of bill is this?" Thread   The "What in the fuck kind of bill is this?" Thread EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 8:06 am

Lady Anne wrote:
fapfapfap wrote:
Owlish wrote:
fapfapfap wrote:

And...it failed. For once, the people of Mississippi used their brains.

THANK FUCKING GOD

And wow, somehow I missed the news last night from the FB page I'm following about it (wakeupmississippi.org). Oh well. Wouldn't be the first time I got my news from WGW.
Back to top Go down
Adagio
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Adagio

PostSubject: Re: The "What in the fuck kind of bill is this?" Thread   The "What in the fuck kind of bill is this?" Thread EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 9:39 am

Thank goodness that's over, then. For now, anyway. At least until Republicans find just the right combination of "popular enough to pass" and "evil enough to get tossed all the way up to the Supreme Court" so they can finally try to get Roe v. Wade overturned, which is what they're really trying to do.

This week's Economist had a letter that really captured how nonsensical the whole thing was (and which I will now reproduce because it's funny).

Quote :
SIR – I was delighted to read your article about the effort in Mississippi to pass a state constitutional amendment to recognise embryos as people from the moment of fertilisation ("A person already?", October 8th). My wife and I have been considering IVF to address our lack of success in conceiving a child. Mississippi's proposed amendment gives us even more reason to pursue this treatment, and to move to Mississippi.

After the procedure we will insist on taking custody of any extra embryos that result from IVF – it is our right as parents after all. Once safely in our home we plan to keep them in a freezer in our basement and list them as child dependents for tax purposes, thus giving us a tax deduction. To protect the lives of our children in case of a power outage we will buy a backup generator. Anything less would be bad parenting.
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: The "What in the fuck kind of bill is this?" Thread   The "What in the fuck kind of bill is this?" Thread EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 9:15 pm

Adagio wrote:
Thank goodness that's over, then. For now, anyway. At least until Republicans find just the right combination of "popular enough to pass" and "evil enough to get tossed all the way up to the Supreme Court" so they can finally try to get Roe v. Wade overturned, which is what they're really trying to do.

This week's Economist had a letter that really captured how nonsensical the whole thing was (and which I will now reproduce because it's funny).

Quote :
SIR – I was delighted to read your article about the effort in Mississippi to pass a state constitutional amendment to recognise embryos as people from the moment of fertilisation ("A person already?", October 8th). My wife and I have been considering IVF to address our lack of success in conceiving a child. Mississippi's proposed amendment gives us even more reason to pursue this treatment, and to move to Mississippi.

After the procedure we will insist on taking custody of any extra embryos that result from IVF – it is our right as parents after all. Once safely in our home we plan to keep them in a freezer in our basement and list them as child dependents for tax purposes, thus giving us a tax deduction. To protect the lives of our children in case of a power outage we will buy a backup generator. Anything less would be bad parenting.
That is made of win.
Back to top Go down
Freezer
Epic-Level Pornomancer
Epic-Level Pornomancer
Freezer

PostSubject: Re: The "What in the fuck kind of bill is this?" Thread   The "What in the fuck kind of bill is this?" Thread EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 4:33 pm

^Best part? Totally legal under that bill, as written.
Back to top Go down
http://freezer.livejournal.com
Owlish
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Owlish

PostSubject: Re: The "What in the fuck kind of bill is this?" Thread   The "What in the fuck kind of bill is this?" Thread EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 5:16 pm

Adagio wrote:

Quote :

Naw, don't waste money on backup generators. If the power goes out for any extended period, just sue the power company's pants off for wrongful death. Since they would be responsible for murdering your babies and all.
Back to top Go down
fapfapfap
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
fapfapfap

PostSubject: Re: The "What in the fuck kind of bill is this?" Thread   The "What in the fuck kind of bill is this?" Thread EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 7:32 am

Oh and this: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

FFFFFFUUUUU-
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The "What in the fuck kind of bill is this?" Thread   The "What in the fuck kind of bill is this?" Thread Empty

Back to top Go down

The "What in the fuck kind of bill is this?" Thread
Page 1 of 11Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next