Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

No birthday present with your card? No prom dress?

Go down 
+21
Sakurelf
Cactus Wren
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
The Scientist
Lapin
Cyberwulf
Miss Misery
Aggie
Penguin
Mr.Doobie
Rabid Badger
Spotts1701
bleachedblackcat
Mikey Go WOOGA
grmblfjx
Reepicheep-chan
Nihilist
rae
Howithurts
karmyn31
rachel
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
bleachedblackcat
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
bleachedblackcat

No birthday present with your card? No prom dress? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: No birthday present with your card? No prom dress?   No birthday present with your card? No prom dress? - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 08, 2011 6:34 am

Lady Anne wrote:
TheIan wrote:
Fuck that noise! I'm not going to spend $35 on a ticket to a dance where all that's played is crappy hip-hop and tone-deaf kids with the occasional techno! I'd rather be at home surrounded by friends playing DnD! That at least is worth my time!
$35? Really? It's $70 at the school I work for.

*points and laughs*

Ours was $15 for a single $20 for two.

And everyone complained about the cost.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Mr.Doobie

PostSubject: Re: No birthday present with your card? No prom dress?   No birthday present with your card? No prom dress? - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 08, 2011 6:55 am

Lapin wrote:
No birthday present with your card? No prom dress? - Page 3 367135 I only went to one Homecoming and I skipped Prom in favor of a concert. However, most people who attend, including a lot of my friends, really had a good time at the events and made some great memories. I mean, it's essentially a big party where you get to wear a pretty dress and dance with people. I do not really see anything wrong with them. They're silly, yes, but so is the rest of high school.

Wow, and I thought I was the only guy who wasn't very popular in high school, but still doesn't violently froth at the mouth when prom or homecoming are mentioned.

Quote :
Quote :
Only once or twice have I been to a dance, which aren't nearly as big and fancy. Not once have I ever went to a prom. I never saw reason why to go. Just to see everyone all dolled up and pretty-looking, and spend the whole night waiting to find out the Prom King and Queen were obviously the two most shallow and despicable, manipulative students in the class?

The Prom Queens, and the couple that won the next year, all won because they were generally well-liked people who got along with everyone. People loved them for a reason.

Our homecoming queen and our Prom King were both friends of mine. Our homecoming queen was a farmer's daughter that used to let us come over and play with her fainting goat. Yeah, she was also the star of the volleyball team, but she was pretty humble, and wasn't shallow or manipulative or whatever.

Meanwhile, our prom king was one of my best friends, and he was overweight, long-haired, and played D&D.

Quote :
Fuck that noise! I'm not going to spend $35 on a ticket to a dance where all that's played is crappy hip-hop and tone-deaf kids with the occasional techno! I'd rather be at home surrounded by friends playing DnD! That at least is worth my time!

Woah, man. You gotta chill this irrational hate-on for hip-hop. Light a bong and chill to some Digable Planets.
Back to top Go down
Reepicheep-chan
Important Person
Important Person
Reepicheep-chan

PostSubject: Re: No birthday present with your card? No prom dress?   No birthday present with your card? No prom dress? - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 08, 2011 9:06 am

bleachedblackcat wrote:
Lady Anne wrote:

Anne, was that price for just the dance? At our school the grad night party was about $80, but that involved free reign at Gameworks, a hypnotist, and two buffets.

Mr.Doobie wrote:
Wow, and I thought I was the only guy who wasn't very popular in high school, but still doesn't violently froth at the mouth when prom or homecoming are mentioned.
IDK, you still may be the only guy. I know plenty of chicks who were less than popular who still enjoyed dances though.
Back to top Go down
TheIan
TheIan

PostSubject: Re: No birthday present with your card? No prom dress?   No birthday present with your card? No prom dress? - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 08, 2011 12:20 pm

Mr.Doobie wrote:
Quote :

Woah, man. You gotta chill this irrational hate-on for hip-hop. Light a bong and chill to some Digable Planets.
I don't hate all hip-hop anymore, Doob, not since I found Flobots. I'm just referring to the general everyday crap you'd listen to on everyday radio that gets played over and over and over again that just wears on you and stops being enjoyable.
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: No birthday present with your card? No prom dress?   No birthday present with your card? No prom dress? - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 08, 2011 6:25 pm

Reepicheep-chan wrote:
bleachedblackcat wrote:
Lady Anne wrote:

Anne, was that price for just the dance? At our school the grad night party was about $80, but that involved free reign at Gameworks, a hypnotist, and two buffets.
That's the price of the dance (the price per person, that is). Grad night is a separate entity. It costs about $80 and involves spending an entire night at Disneyland, including transportation both ways on the school bus (and you can't enter Disneyland at all unless you're on the bus). It's fun, though--the kids never never see the chaperones unless they majorly fuck up (and then they usually get to see the cops, too).
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Sakurelf
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sakurelf

PostSubject: Re: No birthday present with your card? No prom dress?   No birthday present with your card? No prom dress? - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 08, 2011 7:51 pm

Mr.Doobie wrote:
Lapin wrote:
No birthday present with your card? No prom dress? - Page 3 367135 I only went to one Homecoming and I skipped Prom in favor of a concert. However, most people who attend, including a lot of my friends, really had a good time at the events and made some great memories. I mean, it's essentially a big party where you get to wear a pretty dress and dance with people. I do not really see anything wrong with them. They're silly, yes, but so is the rest of high school.

It very much depends on the school. Canadian schools, that I know of, generally don't have Kings / Queens. We also don't usually have homecoming, and proms are just "winter dance" and "grad" with a few sock hops thrown in.

... Yep, it kinda is that boring.

Anywho, I'll say that I hold no bitterness towards dances, but the "popular" girls who sort of crowned themselves queens at my highschool really were shallow, insipid wastes of desks. And yes, going to a "poor" school, they then left with C averages, got pregnant / became alcoholics as soon as possible, and hurried on to continue the cycle of poverty.

Actually, the bitterness I DO hold towards dances is part of a strange phenomenon that seems to settle around British Columbia and a bit of Nothern Washington. We are exactly 1 year behind in music, and always have been. You have no idea what it's like sitting in your car THIS SUMMER and being told that they're about to play the NEW hit single, "Forget You" by Ceelo Green. Really? New? 2011? FFFFFFFFFFFF

It's been this way since forever. To make matters worse since I listen to the BBC, the songs I post on facebook that are actually new get told that they are "Sakur's Indie Hipster Shit" (1 year later to be known as Mumford and Sons No birthday present with your card? No prom dress? - Page 3 724940 ) So, yeah. It's not just highschool. Any club here is playing music that is 1+ year old, and it is really, really hard to dance to a song you got bored of 8 months ago.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: No birthday present with your card? No prom dress?   No birthday present with your card? No prom dress? - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 12:45 am

Most people who froth bitterly at the idea of prom night never even went to begin with. Hell, I have bad prom memories so I cringe just thinking about my own senior prom, but I don't hold any grudges against the concept.

I think the problem is that people who don't want to go to dances are basically bombarded with a message that if they don't go, there is something wrong with them. But, here's the thing: If you've been going to dances since junior high and have experience with what's expected of you in these situations, there's no reason prom can't be great. But if you're being shoehorned into it when you haven't been to many, if any, other dances at the last minute BECAUSE IT'S PROM MAAAAAN THINK OF THE MEMORIES you're probably not going to enjoy yourself.
Back to top Go down
karmyn31
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
karmyn31

PostSubject: Re: No birthday present with your card? No prom dress?   No birthday present with your card? No prom dress? - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 7:56 am

I didn't go to Homecoming or Prom. Never went to Pep Rallies either. My class was kind of apathetic about that stuff. But the Homecoming Queen wasn't hard to guess. Very nice girl who had been part of the court every year. Can't remember who the King was.
But a lot of us had been together since day one so everybody knew everybody.
College Homecoming was a different story. There was one dorm that always won best float and the Homecoming Queen was from that dorm. But you had to pay more to live there so they had more money to do things with.
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: No birthday present with your card? No prom dress?   No birthday present with your card? No prom dress? - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 8:07 am

I never went to homecoming or prom. I just wasn't interested. I went to all the pep rallies, though--they were held during classtime and attendance was required. I preferred drama club--we were all weird, and it didn't matter.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: No birthday present with your card? No prom dress?   No birthday present with your card? No prom dress? - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

No birthday present with your card? No prom dress?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3