Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Cosplayers and Cons - The Good, the Bad, and the DO NOT WANT

Go down 
+22
myeerah
Lady Anne
Chaltab
DarthDarthington
Dick Powers
Penguin
quamp
aqua mew
Toastuh
Verandering
ZoZo
grmblfjx
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Somath Cegem
Delcat
Lurv
anangrychocobo
Notomys mordax
Rydain
Chalchihuitlicue
Mafiosa
Raine
26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Raine
Challenge Winner!
Challenge Winner!
Raine

Cosplayers and Cons - The Good, the Bad, and the DO NOT WANT Empty
PostSubject: Cosplayers and Cons - The Good, the Bad, and the DO NOT WANT   Cosplayers and Cons - The Good, the Bad, and the DO NOT WANT EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 7:55 pm

I'm a cosplayer, although at the most I make about one or two a year. When cosplaying, it's important to pick a character you can see yourself as, and even more important to make it work. Unfortunately, that advice is rarely taken. There's a difference between being intentionally awful... (although I'm still confused to this day about the Kakashi cosplayer)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

...and not being able to tell the difference between what's acceptable or not.

The Alice cosplayer is the very definition of the latter statement. A man in his 40s, basement-dweller, supposedly uses his mother's welfare cheques to get to cons and cosplay. He's got quite a history and a lot of creepy crossplays to match. So creepy is his behavior, groups have been known to go to extreme lengths just to make sure he doesn't find out about gatherings (including hugging people without permission, scaring small children for photos, throwing tantrums, and getting his mother to come down and yell at con staff). Apparently he was also banned from Disneyland because the company is afraid people will associate him with them. I'm tempted to post his Jessie cosplay, but there's not enough bleach in the world to forget that train wreck.

I'm somewhat glad I'm in Australia. For the most part, the cosplayer community is rather sane and polite - although there are acceptions and I've had a few bizarre encounters of my own. A guy once asked if he could have my underwear for a skit... Luckily I haven't seen him at any cons since then.
Back to top Go down
Mafiosa
You crack me up, little buddy!

PostSubject: Re: Cosplayers and Cons - The Good, the Bad, and the DO NOT WANT   Cosplayers and Cons - The Good, the Bad, and the DO NOT WANT EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 8:23 pm

Hmmm I'm sure I can scrounge up something terrible for this thread let's see what the internet has to offOH GOD NO. NO NO NO NO NO

Spoiler:

THERE IS NO GOD.
Back to top Go down
Raine
Challenge Winner!
Challenge Winner!
Raine

PostSubject: Re: Cosplayers and Cons - The Good, the Bad, and the DO NOT WANT   Cosplayers and Cons - The Good, the Bad, and the DO NOT WANT EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 8:26 pm

Is that... Is that supposed to be Apollo Justice?

D:
Back to top Go down
Mafiosa

PostSubject: Re: Cosplayers and Cons - The Good, the Bad, and the DO NOT WANT   Cosplayers and Cons - The Good, the Bad, and the DO NOT WANT EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 8:35 pm

Raine wrote:

D:

Yes, and oh shit check this one out.

Back to top Go down
Chalchihuitlicue

Chalchihuitlicue

PostSubject: Re: Cosplayers and Cons - The Good, the Bad, and the DO NOT WANT   Cosplayers and Cons - The Good, the Bad, and the DO NOT WANT EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 8:39 pm

I usually tend to be of the opinion that people should be able to cosplay whoever they want regardless of body type or skill level, but since cons are included in this thread...

I really hate people at conventions who insist on hugging you even when you tell them "no". I fell extremely ill during the last convention I attended, and when I was dressed as Kurama a ton of girls insisted on hugging me even when I managed to croak out that I was ill and they really shouldn't. They just did it anyway. I should probably feel bad for hoping they all got just as sick as I did.

It irks me even more when they do it to people in very elaborate costumes that are probably very delicate.
Back to top Go down
http://demihime.livejournal.com
Mafiosa

PostSubject: Re: Cosplayers and Cons - The Good, the Bad, and the DO NOT WANT   Cosplayers and Cons - The Good, the Bad, and the DO NOT WANT EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 9:06 pm

This whizzes right past failure and loops backs to fucking hilarious.

Back to top Go down
Raine
Challenge Winner!
Challenge Winner!
Raine

PostSubject: Re: Cosplayers and Cons - The Good, the Bad, and the DO NOT WANT   Cosplayers and Cons - The Good, the Bad, and the DO NOT WANT EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 9:11 pm

Chalchihuitlicue wrote:
I usually tend to be of the opinion that people should be able to cosplay whoever they want regardless of body type or skill level

I'm of that opinion too. I don't mind faces so much if people try to put a bit of effort in like with make-up (even if you generally don't wear it) or getting a proper wig. I tend to rage more on lazy attempts, horrible interpretation costumes and bad behavior.

I hate it when people hug you too, or glomp. That's been banned from a lot of cons - along with yaoi paddles, THANK GOD - but I still hear a lot of horror stories. I've always been terribly afraid of doing an elaborate costume or an important prop because people tend to want to touch, or steal. I was at a con in Brisbane a while ago where I was in the bathroom fixing my hair and some girls ran in after having stolen some people's props. You DON'T do that! People spend time and effort on something which may just make their cosplay, and the last thing they need is for it to be stolen and broken to piece by idiots. We (me and a girl dressed as a female Captain Planet) ended up yelling at them to carefully take them back and apologise. Luckily they listened. =_=

Haha, Mafiosa, I was going to post that. It's one of my favourite cosplays just for the sheer hilarity.
Back to top Go down
Rydain

Rydain

PostSubject: Re: Cosplayers and Cons - The Good, the Bad, and the DO NOT WANT   Cosplayers and Cons - The Good, the Bad, and the DO NOT WANT EmptySat Jun 20, 2009 7:26 pm

Raine wrote:
There's a difference between being intentionally awful... (although I'm still confused to this day about the Kakashi cosplayer)

That's Anne Packrat, who did that for the sake of :lolinsane: . I wish I had a picture of her Garbage Bag Final Fantasy X Lulu on hand.
Back to top Go down
http://rydain.org
Notomys mordax

Notomys mordax

PostSubject: Re: Cosplayers and Cons - The Good, the Bad, and the DO NOT WANT   Cosplayers and Cons - The Good, the Bad, and the DO NOT WANT EmptySat Jun 20, 2009 8:59 pm

Chalchihuitlicue wrote:
I usually tend to be of the opinion that people should be able to cosplay whoever they want regardless of body type or skill level, but since cons are included in this thread...

There is a really fine line on this: while I do not think that one should be 'prohibited' from cosplaying a certain character because of their body type, I do think that it may be prudent for an individual to modify their costume design according to their body type. Just because you're not a twig doesn't mean that you can't have fun and dress up like your favorite character...but if you don't have the body for it, cosplaying as Yoko from Gurren Lagann...bakini and all, will likely earn you the wrong sort of attention: you'd be better off modifying her costume so that it's a bit more conservative.

My biggest pet peeve is actually when cosplayers at ANIME conventions dress up as characters whom are not even vaguely related to anime or japanese culture: I went to Anime Boston this year, and I saw so many Jokers/Harry Potters/Alices/storm troopers that it wasn't funny.
Back to top Go down
anangrychocobo
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Cosplayers and Cons - The Good, the Bad, and the DO NOT WANT   Cosplayers and Cons - The Good, the Bad, and the DO NOT WANT EmptySat Jun 20, 2009 9:03 pm

Wouldn't that get you the wrong sort of attention regardless?
Back to top Go down
Lurv
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Lurv

PostSubject: Re: Cosplayers and Cons - The Good, the Bad, and the DO NOT WANT   Cosplayers and Cons - The Good, the Bad, and the DO NOT WANT EmptySun Jun 21, 2009 2:52 am

anangrychocobo wrote:
Wouldn't that get you the wrong sort of attention regardless?
Yeah, I can't imagine wearing a Yoko costume (without modifying it, anyway) even if I was in great shape.

Anyway, I don't like costumes that look all plastic much.
Back to top Go down
Raine
Challenge Winner!
Challenge Winner!
Raine

PostSubject: Re: Cosplayers and Cons - The Good, the Bad, and the DO NOT WANT   Cosplayers and Cons - The Good, the Bad, and the DO NOT WANT EmptySun Jun 21, 2009 3:08 am

Lurv wrote:

Yeah, I can't imagine wearing a Yoko costume (without modifying it, anyway) even if I was in great shape.

Anyway, I don't like costumes that look all plastic much.

Skimpy costumes are usually a no-go, even if partly due to some con rules that'd get you kicked out for wearing it.

One of my pet peeves is people who use the shiniest material they can get their hands on. You really shouldn't be using it for, say, Naruto characters. I doubt you'd be very stealthy wearing reflective gold fabric (although not much can be said for bright orange jumpsuits, but still...).
Back to top Go down
Delcat
Good old-fashioned nightmare fuel
Good old-fashioned nightmare fuel
Delcat

PostSubject: Re: Cosplayers and Cons - The Good, the Bad, and the DO NOT WANT   Cosplayers and Cons - The Good, the Bad, and the DO NOT WANT EmptySun Jun 21, 2009 3:40 am

I'd thought I didn't have any pertinent pics, but I checked my cosplay folder just in case.

I'd forgotten about...this.
Spoiler:
Like all the assrape didn't make Hojo creepy enough.

...oh hell I am not sleeping tonight. Points for making him suitably greasy, though. ...at least, I HOPE that's part of the costume.
Back to top Go down
http://delcat.insanejournal.com
Somath Cegem
Wonderfully English
Wonderfully English
Somath Cegem

PostSubject: Re: Cosplayers and Cons - The Good, the Bad, and the DO NOT WANT   Cosplayers and Cons - The Good, the Bad, and the DO NOT WANT EmptySun Jun 21, 2009 5:41 am

Delcat wrote:
I'd thought I didn't have any pertinent pics, but I checked my cosplay folder just in case.

I'd forgotten about...this.
Spoiler:
Like all the assrape didn't make Hojo creepy enough.

...oh hell I am not sleeping tonight. Points for making him suitably greasy, though. ...at least, I HOPE that's part of the costume.
Creepy? Yes. Most accurate Hojo cosplay I've ever seen? Also yes! Fecking fantastic, wonderfully creepy and slimy.
Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Harley Quinn hyenaholic

PostSubject: Re: Cosplayers and Cons - The Good, the Bad, and the DO NOT WANT   Cosplayers and Cons - The Good, the Bad, and the DO NOT WANT EmptySun Jun 21, 2009 10:21 am

I am currently Cosplayed up nicely as Red Sniper from Team Fortress 2. Of course I'm lazy, and the costume is missing a couple of things (like the guns and the icons) but hey, I can do that tomorrow.

And I DO have the hat.
Back to top Go down
https://www.fanfiction.net/~breechloader
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

PostSubject: Re: Cosplayers and Cons - The Good, the Bad, and the DO NOT WANT   Cosplayers and Cons - The Good, the Bad, and the DO NOT WANT EmptyMon Jun 22, 2009 2:40 pm

Wrong thread, Harley. The Flaunt Your Own Costumes thread is on the Couch.
Back to top Go down
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

PostSubject: Bizarre and horrifying dress-up   Cosplayers and Cons - The Good, the Bad, and the DO NOT WANT EmptySun Jul 12, 2009 9:21 am

I started a general thread for bad costumes and cosplay, as I don't really have much to say other than a link dump.

This just gets more bizarre the longer I look at it
Back to top Go down
Mafiosa

PostSubject: Re: Cosplayers and Cons - The Good, the Bad, and the DO NOT WANT   Cosplayers and Cons - The Good, the Bad, and the DO NOT WANT EmptySun Jul 12, 2009 9:30 am

Raine already made a thread for this under "subcultures". Maybe we can merge your post.
Back to top Go down
Raine
Challenge Winner!
Challenge Winner!
Raine

PostSubject: Re: Cosplayers and Cons - The Good, the Bad, and the DO NOT WANT   Cosplayers and Cons - The Good, the Bad, and the DO NOT WANT EmptySun Jul 12, 2009 6:58 pm

ZoZo wrote:
I started a general thread for bad costumes and cosplay, as I don't really have much to say other than a link dump.

This just gets more bizarre the longer I look at it

I've heard of people making Hitler "cute", but this is the worst shit I've seen yet.
Back to top Go down
Verandering
The Gender Offender
The Gender Offender
Verandering

PostSubject: Re: Cosplayers and Cons - The Good, the Bad, and the DO NOT WANT   Cosplayers and Cons - The Good, the Bad, and the DO NOT WANT EmptyMon Jul 13, 2009 1:29 am

I've never cosplayed before, but a forum I'm on is planning on organising a JoJo con in 2012 and I absolutely MUST ATTEND. However, I am the total opposite of the character I really like and would want to cosplay. Plus I have no experience in wigs. So, I'm more or less just going to make their outfit for me to wear and see where I feel like going from there. I'm not too worried, there are a ton of cosplayers way better than me and I just want to have a little piece of fun.

Of course, this is four years away, so I might go mad during the time and try for a full blown cosplay of a more feasible character.

In any case, JoJo character and outfits tend to be bright colours, strange and bizarre designs, shapes, and patterns, and just all around difficult. Some people pull this off extremely well:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

While others... Eh....

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
anangrychocobo
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Cosplayers and Cons - The Good, the Bad, and the DO NOT WANT   Cosplayers and Cons - The Good, the Bad, and the DO NOT WANT EmptyMon Jul 13, 2009 10:48 am

Your images aren't working.
Back to top Go down
Verandering
The Gender Offender
The Gender Offender
Verandering

PostSubject: Re: Cosplayers and Cons - The Good, the Bad, and the DO NOT WANT   Cosplayers and Cons - The Good, the Bad, and the DO NOT WANT EmptyMon Jul 13, 2009 5:06 pm

Oh damn it. Well screw that, I'm not hosting them.
Back to top Go down
Toastuh
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Toastuh

PostSubject: Re: Cosplayers and Cons - The Good, the Bad, and the DO NOT WANT   Cosplayers and Cons - The Good, the Bad, and the DO NOT WANT EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 4:54 pm

There was a woman at a convention my friend and I went to a long time ago (we've been going and drawing commissions and whatnot for quite a while). I don't know quite who she was cosplaying as, but we somewhat cruelly nick-named her "Undulady" due to her propensity to stick out over her corset and, uh, undulate. Like, in a terrifying way. We were pretty much all for cosplaying at any size or shape; more power to the person for having balls, but tank tops paired with corsets serve only to accentuate floppy boobs (and present them in bad convention-style lighting). It did not help that her booth was next to ours, and she was actually really nice.
Mean little!Toastuh was mean.
Back to top Go down
aqua mew

aqua mew

PostSubject: Re: Cosplayers and Cons - The Good, the Bad, and the DO NOT WANT   Cosplayers and Cons - The Good, the Bad, and the DO NOT WANT EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 5:42 pm

Raine wrote:

D:

Specifically, an unfinished Apollo Justice, snapped at a crappy angle. The lesson here is that it really helps to let someone else hold the camera.
Back to top Go down
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

PostSubject: Re: Cosplayers and Cons - The Good, the Bad, and the DO NOT WANT   Cosplayers and Cons - The Good, the Bad, and the DO NOT WANT EmptyWed Jul 15, 2009 3:41 am

Verandering wrote:
a forum I'm on is planning on organising a JoJo con in 2012 (...)this is four years away, so I might go mad during the time and try for a full blown cosplay of a more feasible character.
OMG. The internet, a time machine?
Are you in July like me?

Verandering wrote:
Oh damn it. Well screw that, I'm not hosting them.
You don't have to, you just have to make sure that picture urls actually have an image file suffix like .jpg or.gif or something. Right-click on the image itself and "copy image address" instead of using the link in the address bar.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cosplayers and Cons - The Good, the Bad, and the DO NOT WANT   Cosplayers and Cons - The Good, the Bad, and the DO NOT WANT Empty

Back to top Go down

Cosplayers and Cons - The Good, the Bad, and the DO NOT WANT
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next