Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ridiculous book covers

Go down 
+23
CaptainMcNeil
deindae
Kirby
Howithurts
littledorrit
WD40
kleine_kat
Lexin
KeyserSoze
XLT-100852.0
Nevvy
EileenK98
Kommandar
Sakurelf
Cyberwulf
rae
Rabid Badger
Exodia's Right Leg
Drabbler
Penguin
Azzandra
Lady Anne
Mr. Comic Book
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
KeyserSoze

KeyserSoze

Ridiculous book covers - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridiculous book covers   Ridiculous book covers - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 05, 2011 12:34 pm

Mr. Comic Book wrote:
KeyserSoze wrote:
All I can offer is this:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I happen to have an original copy available, though I don't have a scanner. The book explains how the author has researched the bible and used numerological studies to find that the end times will occur between 1896 and 1908. I'm not sure why, but I find the book hilarious. Especially with the proper cover that also promises over fifty illustrations!

EDIT: I'll just have to scan this sucker.

So this guy was a proto-Harold Camping, then?

Sort of, sort of... I really, really ought to get a scanner. However archive.org is your friend! Just browsing through that thing is full of amazing fun. Also I find that this book is great for debating people predicting the end of the world.
Back to top Go down
Rabid Badger
And This is Why I Need Medication
Rabid Badger

PostSubject: Re: Ridiculous book covers   Ridiculous book covers - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 05, 2011 11:09 pm

Found this on Ebay and ganked it. I wanted to buy the book, but the seller wanted $40 for it.

I was not aware that becoming a lesbian required you start out as an apprentice and work your way up. How long does it take to become a journeywoman?
Back to top Go down
Sakurelf
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sakurelf

PostSubject: Re: Ridiculous book covers   Ridiculous book covers - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 05, 2011 11:16 pm

Rabid Badger wrote:

Found this on Ebay and ganked it. I wanted to buy the book, but the seller wanted $40 for it.

I was not aware that becoming a lesbian required you start out as an apprentice and work your way up. How long does it take to become a journeywoman?

It's like becoming a tattoo artist. You have to sit and watch a lot before they let you try.
Back to top Go down
rae
Contributor
Contributor
rae

PostSubject: Re: Ridiculous book covers   Ridiculous book covers - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 05, 2011 11:45 pm

rachel wrote:
rae wrote:
^I'm not that surprised. Authors very often have absolutely no say in what the cover looks like. I'm sure there are thousands of excellent books that went unread, all because the publishing companies gave them shit-covers.
I didn't read Ethan of Athos for years because the original cover art looked so much like a generic "spaceman conquers the galaxy" story. Of course when I did finally read it, I discovered it was actually a "hapless obstetrician is sent away from his homeworld to find viable ovarian cultures and gets in deep doo-doo" story, and actually pretty good.

Many of McMaster-Bujold's books have really bad covers, though usually not so bad as Ethan of Athos (which is the only book from the series I haven't gotten to read yet!) The books themselves range from 'pretty good' to 'OMGWOO.' Another godawful cover of hers:

Back to top Go down
rachel
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
rachel

PostSubject: Re: Ridiculous book covers   Ridiculous book covers - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 06, 2011 3:40 am

rae wrote:
Many of McMaster-Bujold's books have really bad covers, though usually not so bad as Ethan of Athos (which is the only book from the series I haven't gotten to read yet!) The books themselves range from 'pretty good' to 'OMGWOO.' Another godawful cover of hers:

Wow that sucks. But at least it's an attempt to relate one of the stories in there even though it came out looking like a giant ape-woman throwing some dudes around while another dude pets an angry dwarf.
Back to top Go down
KeyserSoze

KeyserSoze

PostSubject: Re: Ridiculous book covers   Ridiculous book covers - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 06, 2011 7:07 am

Rabid Badger wrote:

Try Abebooks.com there you can get that book for half the price. That's how I find weird and unusual books, of which I have quite a few by now. Including one called "Red China's Fighting Hordes" Smile

Rabid Badger wrote:

I thought being a lesbian meant starting on top and working your way down, shows what I know.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Comic Book
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Mr. Comic Book

PostSubject: Re: Ridiculous book covers   Ridiculous book covers - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 7:23 pm

Is that supposed to be someone's ass? Or an unreasonable facsimile thereof?

A rejected early makeup design for Cats.

Is that troll doll trying to decapitate the horse?

If Tim Burton had seen this before he made Alice in Wonderland, he probably would have copied this down to the last bootlace.
Back to top Go down
Rabid Badger
Rabid Badger

PostSubject: Re: Ridiculous book covers   Ridiculous book covers - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 9:12 pm

Unfortunately, a LOT of science fiction and fantasy books from the 60s and 70s had really crappy covers. That's pretty much all I read as a teenager, and I distinctly remember the cover for 'Tiger, Tiger,' which actually turned out to be a decent book. Sci-fi and fantasy were still considered pretty much the bastard children of actual 'literature' back then. The boxed set of the LOTR Trilogy my brother Christ bought me for my 13th birthday had Tolkein's original artwork on it, as did 'The Hobbit.' Later editions, after everyone realized what a genius the man was, had covers done by the Hildebrandt Brothers.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Comic Book
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Mr. Comic Book

PostSubject: Re: Ridiculous book covers   Ridiculous book covers - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 6:22 pm

I would like to ask one very simple question...how the hell do you confiscate a conception?!?

EDIT: Before I forget --

Uh...is this guy jerking off? Or checking out his nuts for some ungodly reason?
Back to top Go down
The Scientist
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
The Scientist

PostSubject: Re: Ridiculous book covers   Ridiculous book covers - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 3:49 am

littledorrit wrote:
Spoiler:

I don't know.

I don't wanna know.

I'm out.

Ha.
Ha.
Haha.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Holy shit. Shocked
Back to top Go down
KeyserSoze

KeyserSoze

PostSubject: Re: Ridiculous book covers   Ridiculous book covers - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 8:34 am

It's real. That book is actually real. It's on Amazon. I... I... I am buying a copy! Lord have mercy!
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Ridiculous book covers   Ridiculous book covers - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 10:28 am

In the Unfortunate Implications category:

Maybe I've been here too long, but I saw this on PaperBackSwap and immediately went Pedophile!Jesus.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Rabid Badger
Rabid Badger

PostSubject: Re: Ridiculous book covers   Ridiculous book covers - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 8:40 pm

Lady Anne wrote:
In the Unfortunate Implications category:

Maybe I've been here too long, but I saw this on PaperBackSwap and immediately went Pedophile!Jesus.

Really unfortunate phrasing there.
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Ridiculous book covers   Ridiculous book covers - Page 3 EmptyWed May 02, 2012 8:12 pm

This cover looks more appropriate for Cujo than The Call of the Wild:

Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Rabid Badger
Rabid Badger

PostSubject: Re: Ridiculous book covers   Ridiculous book covers - Page 3 EmptyWed May 02, 2012 9:00 pm

Lady Anne wrote:
This cover looks more appropriate for Cujo than The Call of the Wild:

Well, you know how it goes. You're stuck in the Great White North, nothing but you and your trusty sled dogs and your gun. Then the weather gets colder, and it's harder to hunt and find enough caribou meat to feed both you and the dogs, and pretty soon you have to start skimping on the meat you give the dogs, even though that means they're too weak to haul the sled to the supply depot, and well...one thing leads to another...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ridiculous book covers   Ridiculous book covers - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Ridiculous book covers
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3