Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Entire Pacific Basin put on alert after Japan earthquake.

Go down 
+34
Anon
bleachedblackcat
Jesus.
Sunatic
neko mata
Goat
Snake Bandage
Somath Cegem
Mr.Doobie
TheHermit
Verandering
the asylum
Adagio
rachel
InkWeaver
Raine
Lapin
Spotts1701
OzymandiasBowie
Penguin
Rabid Badger
XLT-100852.0
Lady Anne
The Unoriginal
I_Lam_Edhellen
Salamas
grmblfjx
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Braigwen
Sakurelf
Chris91
Hadiya Tannous
Seule
WD40
38 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

Entire Pacific Basin put on alert after Japan earthquake.  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Entire Pacific Basin put on alert after Japan earthquake.    Entire Pacific Basin put on alert after Japan earthquake.  - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 12, 2011 8:26 am

XLT-100852.0 wrote:
Lady Anne wrote:
I have cousins in Japan. We've heard nothing from them.
I wish you and your family are able to contact your cousins and that they are still alive and unharmed.
My oldest cousin posted on Facebook this morning! He and the rest are fine, though some of them were stranded for a while. They're still worrying about some of their friends who live in the tsunami-stricken areas, though. Entire Pacific Basin put on alert after Japan earthquake.  - Page 2 309696
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
The Unoriginal
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
The Unoriginal

PostSubject: Re: Entire Pacific Basin put on alert after Japan earthquake.    Entire Pacific Basin put on alert after Japan earthquake.  - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 12, 2011 11:53 am

Penguin wrote:
You know, when Chernobyl exploded, it was definitely the latter. With plenty of radioactive plant chunks strewn about the Ukrainian landscape. Just sayin'.

AFAIK Chernobyl was moderated by graphite bars which would slow down neutrons until meltdown, whereas the Fukushima reactor is moderated by water and hence the chain reaction should slow down as the reactor gets hotter. The cloud looked like steam to my untrained eyes.

Back to top Go down
OzymandiasBowie
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
OzymandiasBowie

PostSubject: Re: Entire Pacific Basin put on alert after Japan earthquake.    Entire Pacific Basin put on alert after Japan earthquake.  - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 12, 2011 12:07 pm

The Unoriginal wrote:

AFAIK Chernobyl was moderated by graphite bars which would slow down neutrons until meltdown, whereas the Fukushima reactor is moderated by water and hence the chain reaction should slow down as the reactor gets hotter. The cloud looked like steam to my untrained eyes.

Everything I've read about it supports the conclusion that it's all steam at this point.

Lady Anne wrote:
My oldest cousin posted on Facebook this morning! He and the rest are fine, though some of them were stranded for a while. They're still worrying about some of their friends who live in the tsunami-stricken areas, though.

I'm glad you've heard from your cousin and know that your family is safe. Entire Pacific Basin put on alert after Japan earthquake.  - Page 2 777742 I can't imagine what relatives in other countries are feeling right now, I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
Back to top Go down
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

PostSubject: Re: Entire Pacific Basin put on alert after Japan earthquake.    Entire Pacific Basin put on alert after Japan earthquake.  - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 12, 2011 12:51 pm

Also Chernobyl was so shoddy it would not have been built anywhere outside the Soviet Union. Still, it boggles my mind that people actually discuss whether nuclear power is "safe". There are ways of managing the risk, maybe, and ways of making it safer; don't make it safe. Just like better =/= good.
Back to top Go down
Spotts1701
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Spotts1701

PostSubject: Re: Entire Pacific Basin put on alert after Japan earthquake.    Entire Pacific Basin put on alert after Japan earthquake.  - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 12, 2011 3:34 pm

I'm no expert, but this can't be a good thing.

Quote :
The core of a nuclear reactor damaged by Friday’s massive earthquake has partially melted, Japan’s nuclear safety agency said Saturday, and the company that runs the plant is pouring seawater into the reactor in an attempt to cool it and prevent it from going critical.
Back to top Go down
Lapin
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Lapin

PostSubject: Re: Entire Pacific Basin put on alert after Japan earthquake.    Entire Pacific Basin put on alert after Japan earthquake.  - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 12, 2011 3:45 pm

....No. No, that's a very, very, very bad thing. If they get enough seawater in, they might, MIGHT, be able to cool it enough until help arrives, but if they can't, then the water is going to be the least of that area's worries.

Actually, the water might make it that much worse. The ground is an amazing neutralizer and would at least keep the radio activity in the area and sort of containable. Water just spreads it fucking everywhere.
Back to top Go down
Braigwen
Why yes, I am a Rocket Scientist!
Braigwen

PostSubject: Re: Entire Pacific Basin put on alert after Japan earthquake.    Entire Pacific Basin put on alert after Japan earthquake.  - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 12, 2011 5:32 pm

Am I the only one who is concerned about the salt in the sea water? Salt can absorb radiation like no body's business and where the hell are they storing the water when it's pumped out?

And if that reactor goes, shit...

You won't have hours or even minutes before the core goes critical. You have ten seconds at most before it ignites the air around it hot enough incinerate human flesh into carbon atoms.

This is most definitely bad, and now another plant has reported the same problem with it's cooling systems going offline.

Also a petrochemical plant exploded in Sendai. Those poor, poor people.

Shit...

In Japan's defense, I don't think that anyone is prepared for a quake that's a sneeze short of 9.0.

Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Harley Quinn hyenaholic

PostSubject: Re: Entire Pacific Basin put on alert after Japan earthquake.    Entire Pacific Basin put on alert after Japan earthquake.  - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 12, 2011 5:36 pm

Those of you worrying about Japanese friends, remember that they're probably just cut off with power problems, or maybe stranded. They're probably okay.

There's more danger from sickness and power outages than from the tsunami now. The media is pumping up the severity of the nuclear thing. They've got professionals who will know exactly how to cool down those plants, not Homer Simpsons.
Back to top Go down
https://www.fanfiction.net/~breechloader
Lapin
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Lapin

PostSubject: Re: Entire Pacific Basin put on alert after Japan earthquake.    Entire Pacific Basin put on alert after Japan earthquake.  - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 12, 2011 7:41 pm

At this point, I imagine they're taking the devil they know. The salt in the saltwater is going to be radioactive as all get-out and dangerous as fuck, but it won't be a full-on meltdown. At this point, they are just trying to avoid the worst, but to be honest, I don't think this is going to work for very long.
Back to top Go down
Spotts1701
Spotts1701

PostSubject: Re: Entire Pacific Basin put on alert after Japan earthquake.    Entire Pacific Basin put on alert after Japan earthquake.  - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 12, 2011 9:16 pm

Second reactor "likely" in process of meltdown. Venting in progress.

I hope the have a Plan D, because so far Plans A (backup power), B (venting) and C (seawater) are doing zed to keep things from total catastrophe.
Back to top Go down
Lapin
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Lapin

PostSubject: Re: Entire Pacific Basin put on alert after Japan earthquake.    Entire Pacific Basin put on alert after Japan earthquake.  - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 12, 2011 9:23 pm

Yeah. Yeah, I don't think this is going to end well. I think they need to evacuate, now.

Except that I don't think they will, or even can.

Back to top Go down
Raine
Challenge Winner!
Challenge Winner!
Raine

PostSubject: Re: Entire Pacific Basin put on alert after Japan earthquake.    Entire Pacific Basin put on alert after Japan earthquake.  - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 12, 2011 9:24 pm

I could rage so hard right now. You won't believe how many people I've heard talking about it who just shrug their shoulders and go "whatever". You think people would have a little sympathy considering the natural disasters that have happened in Australia and New Zealand.

Even worse are all the anime fans who are whining "but how will this affect my precious animus?".
Back to top Go down
InkWeaver
Harriet Tubman
Harriet Tubman
InkWeaver

PostSubject: Re: Entire Pacific Basin put on alert after Japan earthquake.    Entire Pacific Basin put on alert after Japan earthquake.  - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 12, 2011 9:26 pm

There's a Fandom Auction to raise money to donate to charities. The sign-ups begin in two days. I'm planning to offer my services as a 'fic-writer for whatever bidder wants me.

The fandom auction after the disaster in Haiti raised over $100k.
Back to top Go down
WD40
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
WD40

PostSubject: Re: Entire Pacific Basin put on alert after Japan earthquake.    Entire Pacific Basin put on alert after Japan earthquake.  - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 13, 2011 5:15 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Raine
Challenge Winner!
Challenge Winner!
Raine

PostSubject: Re: Entire Pacific Basin put on alert after Japan earthquake.    Entire Pacific Basin put on alert after Japan earthquake.  - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 13, 2011 7:01 am

WD40 wrote:

D: I feel wrong for looking at those sorts of photos...
Back to top Go down
rachel
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
rachel

PostSubject: Re: Entire Pacific Basin put on alert after Japan earthquake.    Entire Pacific Basin put on alert after Japan earthquake.  - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 13, 2011 9:25 am

Quake moved Japan by 8 feet: USGS
Back to top Go down
Braigwen
Braigwen

PostSubject: Re: Entire Pacific Basin put on alert after Japan earthquake.    Entire Pacific Basin put on alert after Japan earthquake.  - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 13, 2011 10:56 am

Many in Japan don't have food or water.

Quote :
People across a devastated swath of Japan suffered for a third day Sunday without water, electricity and proper food, as the country grappled with the enormity of a massive earthquake and tsunami that left more than 10,000 people dead in one area alone.

Quote :
At Sengen General Hospital, the staff worked feverishly to haul bedridden patients up the stairs one at a time. With the halls now dark, those who can leave have gone to the local community center.

"There is still no water or power, and we've got some very sick people in here," said hospital official Ikuro Matsumoto.

The situation gets worse with temperatures dropping to freezing during the night.

Back to top Go down
Chris91
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Chris91

PostSubject: Re: Entire Pacific Basin put on alert after Japan earthquake.    Entire Pacific Basin put on alert after Japan earthquake.  - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 13, 2011 12:21 pm

Spotts1701 wrote:

I hope the have a Plan D, because so far Plans A (backup power), B (venting) and C (seawater) are doing zed to keep things from total catastrophe.

The way things are going, they probably also need a Plan E.
Back to top Go down
Braigwen
Braigwen

PostSubject: Re: Entire Pacific Basin put on alert after Japan earthquake.    Entire Pacific Basin put on alert after Japan earthquake.  - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 13, 2011 1:05 pm

Not good...

Quote :
Situation Update No. 4
On 13.03.2011 at 16:19 GMT+2

Excessive levels of radiation at a second Japanese nuclear facility at Onagawa after Friday's earthquake have led authorities to report a state of emergency, the UN nuclear agency said. "Japanese authorities have informed the IAEA that the first or lowest state of emergency at the Onagawa nuclear power plant has been reported by Tohoku Electric Power Company," the International Atomic Energy Agency said. The alert was declared "as a consequence of radioactivity readings exceeding allowed levels in the area surrounding the plant. "Japanese authorities are investigating the source of radiation."

If you look at a picture of the Fukushima facility, you will notice that the paint is peeling off of the towers. I don't think that's regular old house paint slapped on those buildings. If the cores are getting hot enough to peel the paint off on the outside of the building, then things just might be a little worse than the Japanese government is letting on.
Back to top Go down
Spotts1701
Spotts1701

PostSubject: Re: Entire Pacific Basin put on alert after Japan earthquake.    Entire Pacific Basin put on alert after Japan earthquake.  - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 13, 2011 1:11 pm

Chris91 wrote:
Spotts1701 wrote:

The way things are going, they probably also need a Plan E.

I think Plan E is "dump tons of concrete and sand on it, then run like hell".
Back to top Go down
Lapin
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Lapin

PostSubject: Re: Entire Pacific Basin put on alert after Japan earthquake.    Entire Pacific Basin put on alert after Japan earthquake.  - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 13, 2011 1:28 pm

Braigwen wrote:
Not good...

Quote :
Situation Update No. 4

Excessive levels of radiation at a second Japanese nuclear facility at Onagawa after Friday's earthquake have led authorities to report a state of emergency, the UN nuclear agency said. "Japanese authorities have informed the IAEA that the first or lowest state of emergency at the Onagawa nuclear power plant has been reported by Tohoku Electric Power Company," the International Atomic Energy Agency said. The alert was declared "as a consequence of radioactivity readings exceeding allowed levels in the area surrounding the plant. "Japanese authorities are investigating the source of radiation."

If you look at a picture of the Fukushima facility, you will notice that the paint is peeling off of the towers. I don't think that's regular old house paint slapped on those buildings. If the cores are getting hot enough to peel the paint off on the outside of the building, then things just might be a little worse than the Japanese government is letting on.

Or rather they know, they just don't want people to panic. Things are bad enough right this second without there being a giant riot/mob driven by fear.
Back to top Go down
Adagio
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Adagio

PostSubject: Re: Entire Pacific Basin put on alert after Japan earthquake.    Entire Pacific Basin put on alert after Japan earthquake.  - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 13, 2011 2:52 pm

Everyone panicking about the nuclear plant should read this: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
the asylum
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
the asylum

PostSubject: Re: Entire Pacific Basin put on alert after Japan earthquake.    Entire Pacific Basin put on alert after Japan earthquake.  - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 13, 2011 3:05 pm

Just to put into perspective the power of an 8.9 quake, it altered the ENTIRE PLANET.

Quote :
The powerful earthquake that unleashed a devastating tsunami Friday appears to have moved the main island of Japan by 8 feet (2.4 meters) and shifted the Earth on its axis.

Quote :
Reports from the National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology in Italy estimated the 8.9-magnitude quake shifted the planet on its axis by nearly 4 inches (10 centimeters).
Back to top Go down
Verandering
The Gender Offender
The Gender Offender
Verandering

PostSubject: Re: Entire Pacific Basin put on alert after Japan earthquake.    Entire Pacific Basin put on alert after Japan earthquake.  - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 13, 2011 4:14 pm

Jesus christ. D:
To... To all of it.
Back to top Go down
Braigwen
Braigwen

PostSubject: Re: Entire Pacific Basin put on alert after Japan earthquake.    Entire Pacific Basin put on alert after Japan earthquake.  - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 13, 2011 4:23 pm

Lapin wrote:
Braigwen wrote:
Not good...

Quote :
Situation Update No. 4

Or rather they know, they just don't want people to panic. Things are bad enough right this second without there being a giant riot/mob driven by fear.

That was exactly the gist of things being worse than the government letting on. I understand them wanting to keep panic to a minimum, but looking at this myself, I do worry for the people of Japan.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Entire Pacific Basin put on alert after Japan earthquake.    Entire Pacific Basin put on alert after Japan earthquake.  - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Entire Pacific Basin put on alert after Japan earthquake.
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next