Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Kick A Ginger Day inspired kids to kick gingers.

Go down 
+20
Azzandra
Lexin
Tungsten Monk
Rabid Badger
Mr.Doobie
Somath Cegem
Lapin
ZoZo
Penguin
Maximilia
Salamas
Mikey Go WOOGA
maladroit_mooncalf
Drabbler
EileenK98
Malganis
Lady Anne
XLT-100852.0
pirategrrl
Jesus.
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Rabid Badger
And This is Why I Need Medication
And This is Why I Need Medication
Rabid Badger

Kick A Ginger Day inspired kids to kick gingers. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kick A Ginger Day inspired kids to kick gingers.   Kick A Ginger Day inspired kids to kick gingers. - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 01, 2010 7:03 pm

The first time I ever encountered ginger hate was when I was around 13 or so, and it popped up on a sci-fi show our local PBS station used to show after I got home from school. At first, I didn't even realize ginger meant people with red hair. I found it inexplicable then, and that was 40+ years ago.

Actually, most of the cases I can think of I've encountered of ginger hate were on shows from the UK. I didn't eve know it existed in the states. But then, I don't watch South Park, and I'm actually quite fond of red heads. Used to die my hair red when I was younger.
Back to top Go down
Tungsten Monk
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Tungsten Monk

PostSubject: Re: Kick A Ginger Day inspired kids to kick gingers.   Kick A Ginger Day inspired kids to kick gingers. - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 01, 2010 9:04 pm

Lapin wrote:
There used to be an old belief that people with red hair were...how to put this? Associated with witchcraft, is probably the best way to phrase it. Can be traced back pretty far, actually. Red hair, being kind of uncommon, was strange, and people blamed magic for everything. Wasn't such a bad thing until the Christians came, and then pagan/witchcraft = evil came about in a much stronger fashion.

In some cultures, it was bad even before then. The Egyptian god Set (brother-killer, would-be nephew-raper, had the head of a mysterious unknown animal--the man was the furry of his time) was supposedly a redhead. And I remember reading that according to tests on his mummy, the pharaoh Rameses II likely had red hair. It may have added to his literally killer rep. In short, different is weird, and weird often equals bad.

Re "redheaded stepchild"--I've heard that one a lot. I think it goes further than the Irish bit: since red hair was uncommon, it singled out a redheaded stepchild as obviously (especially to an external observer) Not Your Kid, and that has connotations of rocking another man's cradle. You can do a lot with an accusation of bastardy.

At any rate, I don't get the ginger-hate myself. I do remember once seeing a ginger wigger, and thinking it made an incredibly goofy picture, but that's about it. As usual, it seems that South Park took a topic and mocked it shamelessly, and some idiots took them too seriously. Story of the Internet.
Back to top Go down
Lexin
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Lexin

PostSubject: Re: Kick A Ginger Day inspired kids to kick gingers.   Kick A Ginger Day inspired kids to kick gingers. - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 2:27 am

I grew up in Britain (obviously) but I'd never encountered ginger hate until I was grown up. In fact, I'd never encountered it until the last five-ten years - I first heard of it from my sister in law, who said if the twins she was carrying were ginger she'd send them back.

Guess what? They were ginger.

And there was much laughter at her expense - apparently my brother didn't tell her there was a recessive red hair gene in my family.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mpmrommel.co.uk
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Kick A Ginger Day inspired kids to kick gingers.   Kick A Ginger Day inspired kids to kick gingers. - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 5:31 am

ZoZo wrote:
Pretty much exactly what it is. As far as I'm aware, most of the ginger-hate comes from England, and we're meant to hate the Irish and Scottish. Who are more likely to be ginger.

It got shipped across the pond. Irish immigrants were the original Mexicans. (OHNOES POPERY)
Back to top Go down
Azzandra
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Azzandra

PostSubject: Re: Kick A Ginger Day inspired kids to kick gingers.   Kick A Ginger Day inspired kids to kick gingers. - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 5:36 am

Tungsten Monk wrote:

Re "redheaded stepchild"--I've heard that one a lot. I think it goes further than the Irish bit: since red hair was uncommon, it singled out a redheaded stepchild as obviously (especially to an external observer) Not Your Kid, and that has connotations of rocking another man's cradle. You can do a lot with an accusation of bastardy.
Really? Someone once told me that it had more to do with the intermingling of immigrant families in America, i.e. that Italian and Irish families would be united by marriage, resulting in Italians having, well, red-headed stepchildren, which they presumably hid from their other relatives so they wouldn't reveal the horrible, horrible shame of having married non-Italians.

I don't know how accurate that explanation is, though. They could've just been pulling it out of their ass.
Back to top Go down
Tungsten Monk
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Tungsten Monk

PostSubject: Re: Kick A Ginger Day inspired kids to kick gingers.   Kick A Ginger Day inspired kids to kick gingers. - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 8:09 am

Azzandra wrote:
Tungsten Monk wrote:

Really? Someone once told me that it had more to do with the intermingling of immigrant families in America, i.e. that Italian and Irish families would be united by marriage, resulting in Italians having, well, red-headed stepchildren, which they presumably hid from their other relatives so they wouldn't reveal the horrible, horrible shame of having married non-Italians.

I don't know how accurate that explanation is, though. They could've just been pulling it out of their ass.

That's probably part of it too. I don't think there's one universal explanation, but the bastardy issue was probably a factor. Ditto the unpopularity of the Irish, insular cultures, etcetera.

At any rate, gingers tend to be the reddest of the redheads--less red and more orange. And their overall coloration is very distinctive, with the extremely pale skin and freckles. Higher visibility and rarity makes them much better targets.
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: Kick A Ginger Day inspired kids to kick gingers.   Kick A Ginger Day inspired kids to kick gingers. - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 8:46 am

Many Irish people have pale skin and freckles...and dark hair. Apparently it's a combo that's as distinctly Irish as red hair and freckles.
Back to top Go down
Reepicheep-chan
Important Person
Important Person
Reepicheep-chan

PostSubject: Re: Kick A Ginger Day inspired kids to kick gingers.   Kick A Ginger Day inspired kids to kick gingers. - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 10:28 am

Cyberwulf wrote:
Many Irish people have pale skin and freckles...and dark hair. Apparently it's a combo that's as distinctly Irish as red hair and freckles.
Oooh, I know a girl who looks like that. She is so amazingly beautiful, I wanted to look like he so bad when I was growing up.
Back to top Go down
Maximilia
My spoon is too big.
My spoon is too big.
Maximilia

PostSubject: Re: Kick A Ginger Day inspired kids to kick gingers.   Kick A Ginger Day inspired kids to kick gingers. - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 11:54 am

Reepicheep-chan wrote:
Cyberwulf wrote:
Oooh, I know a girl who looks like that. She is so amazingly beautiful, I wanted to look like he so bad when I was growing up.
I still want to look like that! I dye my hair red on occasion because I just like the color so much. I looked like a ginger sans freckles because I worked nights and thus had really pale skin.
Back to top Go down
Seule
My Mescaline
My Mescaline
Seule

PostSubject: Re: Kick A Ginger Day inspired kids to kick gingers.   Kick A Ginger Day inspired kids to kick gingers. - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 12:41 pm

I've heard people being teased for being ginger, but never anything even slightly amounting to bullying. It's more a thing for friends to latch onto - just like any distinguishing feature, the same way my friends call me blondie. There's no "Kick a Blonde Day"...
Back to top Go down
Toastuh
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Toastuh

PostSubject: Re: Kick A Ginger Day inspired kids to kick gingers.   Kick A Ginger Day inspired kids to kick gingers. - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 1:00 pm

Spoiler:

I like gingers. There was this one girl in my PE class who was ginger and she was so pale and her hair was long and she always dressed so well and OH SHE WAS LOVELY. And then there was this guy who absolutely rocked the red hair. He was about six feet tall as a freshman and was muscular as fuck. NOBODY picked on him for being a ginger. And he was a nice person on top of that. So.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Kick A Ginger Day inspired kids to kick gingers.   Kick A Ginger Day inspired kids to kick gingers. - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 1:14 pm

Seule wrote:
I've heard people being teased for being ginger, but never anything even slightly amounting to bullying. It's more a thing for friends to latch onto - just like any distinguishing feature, the same way my friends call me blondie. There's no "Kick a Blonde Day"...

Yes, but every day is Blond Joke Day. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Kick A Ginger Day inspired kids to kick gingers.   Kick A Ginger Day inspired kids to kick gingers. - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 9:38 pm

Seule wrote:
You just cursed it into existence. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kick A Ginger Day inspired kids to kick gingers.   Kick A Ginger Day inspired kids to kick gingers. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Kick A Ginger Day inspired kids to kick gingers.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2