Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Holyfuckingshit have you guys seen the front page of the Express today?

Go down 
+29
TheHedonist
BadficReadings
Lapin
Saleha
Lady Anne
TheHermit
WD40
Lexin
Just Chipper
Anon
The Unoriginal
Mikey Go WOOGA
Tungsten Monk
Psy-4
Rabid Badger
KGarrett
EileenK98
Adagio
Drabbler
grmblfjx
Azzandra
Khajidu
Lembech
gaijinguy
the asylum
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Penguin
Sutremaine
ZoZo
33 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

Holyfuckingshit have you guys seen the front page of the Express today? Empty
PostSubject: Holyfuckingshit have you guys seen the front page of the Express today?   Holyfuckingshit have you guys seen the front page of the Express today? EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 5:15 am

The Daily Express is a UK newspaper. It's similar to the Daily Mail, except it's slightly more overt in its right wing bigotry.

Here's the front page today:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

That's really it. I am not making this up.

Here's a fairly good article by the delightful Anton Vowl. It puts into words what I seem to mainly experience as just incoherent rage. That a national newspaper can run this on its front page is absolutely fucking hideous.
Back to top Go down
Sutremaine
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sutremaine

PostSubject: Re: Holyfuckingshit have you guys seen the front page of the Express today?   Holyfuckingshit have you guys seen the front page of the Express today? EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 5:42 am

Nice subheadline. Oh those wacky gays with their love of Kylie and cocktails and the right to live out their orientation in the same way that straight people do. Oops, guess they ran out of room for that last bit.
Back to top Go down
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

PostSubject: Re: Holyfuckingshit have you guys seen the front page of the Express today?   Holyfuckingshit have you guys seen the front page of the Express today? EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 6:28 am

Sutremaine wrote:
Nice subheadline. Oh those wacky gays with their love of Kylie and cocktails and the right to live out their orientation in the same way that straight people do. Oops, guess they ran out of room for that last bit.
It's just hideous, isn't it? All these brown forrins running around being fabulous.

ETA: Oh yuck, yuck yuck. The Star, he Express's more explicitly awful sister paper has this.

Last edited by ZoZo on Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Holyfuckingshit have you guys seen the front page of the Express today?   Holyfuckingshit have you guys seen the front page of the Express today? EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 7:01 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Hey, say what you want about Texas, at least it's no longer its own country.
Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Harley Quinn hyenaholic

PostSubject: Re: Holyfuckingshit have you guys seen the front page of the Express today?   Holyfuckingshit have you guys seen the front page of the Express today? EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 7:40 am

My god, both that headline and that subheadline are the worst I've ever seen. There are a million different ways that could be taken, as a joke, offensively, or just hellishly confusingly.
Back to top Go down
https://www.fanfiction.net/~breechloader
the asylum
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
the asylum

PostSubject: Re: Holyfuckingshit have you guys seen the front page of the Express today?   Holyfuckingshit have you guys seen the front page of the Express today? EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 9:42 am

I don't think I should be taking this personally...
Back to top Go down
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

PostSubject: Re: Holyfuckingshit have you guys seen the front page of the Express today?   Holyfuckingshit have you guys seen the front page of the Express today? EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 9:51 am

the asylum wrote:
Come to Britain. We're full, but the PC brigade WANT you to dance to Kylie and drink colourful cocktails!

ETA: Judge's comments regarding Kylie and cocktails here (page 37). Meaning is slightly different to that implied in the Express headline. Of course. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
gaijinguy
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
gaijinguy

PostSubject: Re: Holyfuckingshit have you guys seen the front page of the Express today?   Holyfuckingshit have you guys seen the front page of the Express today? EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 10:50 am

Headline: "Now Asylum If You're Gay."

Auf English, bitte? I'm trying to parse this sentence and coming up blank.
Back to top Go down
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

PostSubject: Re: Holyfuckingshit have you guys seen the front page of the Express today?   Holyfuckingshit have you guys seen the front page of the Express today? EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 11:00 am

gaijinguy wrote:
Headline: "Now Asylum If You're Gay."

The Express always report on immigration or stories involving Muslims beginning with "now". It makes it sound like they're slowly but surely TAKING OVER and you should be VERY AFRAID. I think. I don't know, it's probably grammatically correct in Thick Racist Twit English. We have lots of publications in that language over here.
Back to top Go down
Lembech
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Lembech

PostSubject: Re: Holyfuckingshit have you guys seen the front page of the Express today?   Holyfuckingshit have you guys seen the front page of the Express today? EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 11:06 am

Wow, that's just the kind of crap you'd see here in the South. Haphazardly straight to the point, aren't they?
Back to top Go down
Sutremaine
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sutremaine

PostSubject: Re: Holyfuckingshit have you guys seen the front page of the Express today?   Holyfuckingshit have you guys seen the front page of the Express today? EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 2:27 pm

gaijinguy wrote:
'Now [you get] asylum if you're gay'

The first time I tried parsing the headline I thought for a second they were trying to put gay people in asylums. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Khajidu
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Khajidu

Location : on a tall ship far away from the bullshit, on the port side of course

PostSubject: Re: Holyfuckingshit have you guys seen the front page of the Express today?   Holyfuckingshit have you guys seen the front page of the Express today? EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 2:52 pm

You too?
Back to top Go down
Azzandra
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Azzandra

PostSubject: Re: Holyfuckingshit have you guys seen the front page of the Express today?   Holyfuckingshit have you guys seen the front page of the Express today? EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 2:57 pm

Aw, man, me too. People who are barely coherent should not be running newspapers. Methinks someone working for the newspaper had a stroke somewhere down the line, but he just kept coming to work and nobody noticed any difference, resulting in this.
Back to top Go down
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

PostSubject: Re: Holyfuckingshit have you guys seen the front page of the Express today?   Holyfuckingshit have you guys seen the front page of the Express today? EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 3:11 pm

Sutremaine wrote:
The first time I tried parsing the headline I thought for a second they were trying to put gay people in asylums. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I thought that up to this post, actually. scratch
Back to top Go down
Drabbler
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Drabbler

PostSubject: Re: Holyfuckingshit have you guys seen the front page of the Express today?   Holyfuckingshit have you guys seen the front page of the Express today? EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 3:18 pm

I could tell what was meant by looking at the subhead, but the main header is missing a subject. "UK Now Asylum..." would've been clearer, though not as much as a complete rewrite. Frankly, they could've easily made it clearer, shorter, and just as inflammatory.

Last edited by Drabbler on Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Adagio
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Adagio

PostSubject: Re: Holyfuckingshit have you guys seen the front page of the Express today?   Holyfuckingshit have you guys seen the front page of the Express today? EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 3:20 pm

Huh. I thought it was a call to put all gay people in asylums, too.

In any event, how the hell do they get away with such blatant misrepresentation of facts?
Back to top Go down
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

PostSubject: Re: Holyfuckingshit have you guys seen the front page of the Express today?   Holyfuckingshit have you guys seen the front page of the Express today? EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Drabbler wrote:
Frankly, they could've easily made it clearer, shorter, and just as inflammatory.
That's why the Daily Star went with "NO ROOM FOR GAYS". It's like the Express for even less literate racists. Rolling Eyes

Adagio, it's because the UK Press Complaints Committee is run by... the fucking press. In a few days time they'll put an tiny apology on page 35 for misrepresenting the truth. It's how they roll.
Back to top Go down
EileenK98
Recovering Fanbrat
Recovering Fanbrat
EileenK98

PostSubject: Re: Holyfuckingshit have you guys seen the front page of the Express today?   Holyfuckingshit have you guys seen the front page of the Express today? EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 4:28 pm

I read it as "Now, Asylum, If You're Gay . . ." and wondered who Photoshopped it.
Back to top Go down
KGarrett
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
KGarrett

PostSubject: Re: Holyfuckingshit have you guys seen the front page of the Express today?   Holyfuckingshit have you guys seen the front page of the Express today? EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 5:43 pm

For the love of God, please crawl into a hole somewhere and die.
Back to top Go down
Rabid Badger
And This is Why I Need Medication
And This is Why I Need Medication
Rabid Badger

PostSubject: Re: Holyfuckingshit have you guys seen the front page of the Express today?   Holyfuckingshit have you guys seen the front page of the Express today? EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 9:37 pm

Well something gets lost in the translation. I showed it to Morgan, and he wanted to know who the hell Kylie was and what being gay had to do with drinking cocktails.

He also seemed to find it highly unlikely that all the gay people who emigrated to the UK had managed to take away everyone jobs.
Back to top Go down
gaijinguy
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
gaijinguy

PostSubject: Re: Holyfuckingshit have you guys seen the front page of the Express today?   Holyfuckingshit have you guys seen the front page of the Express today? EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 9:46 pm

Sutremaine wrote:
gaijinguy wrote:
'Now [you get] asylum if you're gay'

Thanks. The verb would've been helpful there.
Back to top Go down
Psy-4
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction

PostSubject: Re: Holyfuckingshit have you guys seen the front page of the Express today?   Holyfuckingshit have you guys seen the front page of the Express today? EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 10:13 pm

the asylum wrote:
Now, asylum, if you're gay, I'm totally cool with that.
Back to top Go down
Tungsten Monk
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Tungsten Monk

PostSubject: Re: Holyfuckingshit have you guys seen the front page of the Express today?   Holyfuckingshit have you guys seen the front page of the Express today? EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 10:24 pm

So they're talking about something incredibly stupid in bad English. Print media is finally catching up to the Internet! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Holyfuckingshit have you guys seen the front page of the Express today?   Holyfuckingshit have you guys seen the front page of the Express today? EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 11:31 pm

EileenK98 wrote:
I read it as "Now, Asylum, If You're Gay . . ." and wondered who Photoshopped it.

Same.

ITT: People take a few dipshits seriously and act like their country is overrun with dipshits.

It IS overrun with dipshits, but a different sort of dipshit.
Back to top Go down
The Unoriginal
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
The Unoriginal

PostSubject: Re: Holyfuckingshit have you guys seen the front page of the Express today?   Holyfuckingshit have you guys seen the front page of the Express today? EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 1:10 am

On a tangent, I'm enjoying reading the judge. Is this how sentences are written in Britspeaking countries? Italian legalese is a logorrhoic, convoluted family tree of subordinates in which the meaning of the plainest words such as "if", "or" and "compulsory" is lost in the meanders of parataxis not unlike a mouse in a maze of mirrors.

Tick another one who at first read 'asylum' as 'bedlam', here.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Holyfuckingshit have you guys seen the front page of the Express today?   Holyfuckingshit have you guys seen the front page of the Express today? Empty

Back to top Go down

Holyfuckingshit have you guys seen the front page of the Express today?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next