Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

STOP AVATAR

Go down 
+24
Cactus Wren
Vespers
Exodia's Right Leg
Chris92
Penguin
theweirdkind
Drabbler
myeerah
Jay/Cris
Chaltab
Blooferlady
Malganis
Reepicheep-chan
Mafiosa
Bamshalam
Mikey Go WOOGA
TheHedonist
Psy-4
Verandering
Dr. Professor Science
Jesus.
Chris91
SirDixonDongs
grmblfjx
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
SirDixonDongs
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
SirDixonDongs

STOP AVATAR - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: STOP AVATAR   STOP AVATAR - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 8:28 pm

Bamshalam wrote:
what the hell has this thread become

fontwank, obviously
Back to top Go down
Jesus.
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Jesus.

PostSubject: Re: STOP AVATAR   STOP AVATAR - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 8:28 pm

I like chiller. STOP AVATAR - Page 2 309696
Back to top Go down
Dr. Professor Science
Ghoti
Ghoti
Dr. Professor Science

Location : One of the guys with the giant papier-mâché dongs in Lysistrata

PostSubject: Re: STOP AVATAR   STOP AVATAR - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 8:36 pm

... I was just pissed that they used a really recognisable freely distributed font as the movie's subtitles. In among all the meticulously detailed art direction, it struck me as super lazy.

PS: I agree with Mafi. Though, honestly, as long as the font isn't one of the super distinctive artsy ones, feel free to use it all over the place.

PPS: I've never seen fontwank before. I feel kinda special, though I know it must have happened somewhere before. (WGW: BREAKING BOUNDARIES. WANK BOUNDARIES. PUSHIN' THE WANK ENVELOPE.)
Back to top Go down
Mafiosa
You crack me up, little buddy!

PostSubject: Re: STOP AVATAR   STOP AVATAR - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 8:49 pm

Jesus. wrote:

GET OUT ):<
Back to top Go down
Reepicheep-chan
Important Person
Important Person
Reepicheep-chan

PostSubject: Re: STOP AVATAR   STOP AVATAR - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 8:54 pm

Mafiosa wrote:
Jesus. wrote:

Can I like Chiller ironically?
Back to top Go down
Bamshalam
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Bamshalam

PostSubject: Re: STOP AVATAR   STOP AVATAR - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 9:07 pm

Dr. Professor Science wrote:
... I was just pissed that they used a really recognisable freely distributed font as the movie's subtitles. In among all the meticulously detailed art direction, it struck me as super lazy.

PS: I agree with Mafi. Though, honestly, as long as the font isn't one of the super distinctive artsy ones, feel free to use it all over the place.

PPS: I've never seen fontwank before. I feel kinda special, though I know it must have happened somewhere before. (WGW: BREAKING BOUNDARIES. WANK BOUNDARIES. PUSHIN' THE WANK ENVELOPE.)

Display fonts have their place in design just like any other font. My issue with the use of Papyrus in Avatar was more that they were using a display face for the damn subtitles. Those are there to be legible, not pretty.
Ignoring that, though, if no one used display fonts the world would be a boring, dry place full of nothing but helvetica and like, Times New Roman (because that's the only damn serif typeface people ever ass themselves to use nowadays and it drives me up the wall). The fonts themselves aren't the issue as much as it is their utilization; for instance, the font that Sir Dixon Dongs posted could be used well in a number of instances. It'd just need to be by a designer who knows their shit.

Edit: WANKTRAILBLAZIN': FUCK YEAH.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Professor Science
Ghoti
Ghoti
Dr. Professor Science

PostSubject: Re: STOP AVATAR   STOP AVATAR - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 9:08 pm

I didn't mean I don't like display fonts, just don't use the same one as everyone else. Bad phrasing.
Back to top Go down
Bamshalam
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Bamshalam

PostSubject: Re: STOP AVATAR   STOP AVATAR - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 9:10 pm

Ah. Yeah.
The only problem with that is that not everyone has a bazillion dollars to spend on buying new display fonts as to avoid using the defaults. Yeah, Dafont has a bunch, but a lot of them are legitimately poorly designed for actual usage or are just as recognizable as Papyrus would be to people who actually think about these things (who, incidentally, would be the people to fault a person for using Papyrus for those reasons).
Back to top Go down
Reepicheep-chan
Important Person
Important Person
Reepicheep-chan

PostSubject: Re: STOP AVATAR   STOP AVATAR - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 9:15 pm

Bamshalam wrote:
Ah. Yeah.
The only problem with that is that not everyone has a bazillion dollars to spend on buying new display fonts as to avoid using the defaults. Yeah, Dafont has a bunch, but a lot of them are legitimately poorly designed for actual usage or are just as recognizable as Papyrus would be to people who actually think about these things (who, incidentally, would be the people to fault a person for using Papyrus for those reasons).
But Cameron did have a bazillion dollars to spend on a new display font.
Back to top Go down
Jesus.
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Jesus.

PostSubject: Re: STOP AVATAR   STOP AVATAR - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 9:15 pm

Mafiosa wrote:
Jesus. wrote:

nuuuuu i I love you u
Back to top Go down
Dr. Professor Science
Ghoti
Ghoti
Dr. Professor Science

PostSubject: Re: STOP AVATAR   STOP AVATAR - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 9:16 pm

Bamshalam wrote:
Ah. Yeah.
We're talking about Avatar, here. Cost is a non-issue.

And outside of Avatar it's still no excuse to use it for a title/shop name or something when drawing your own lettering really isn't that hard for something that short... which is when it pissed me off the most.
Back to top Go down
Malganis
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Malganis

PostSubject: Re: STOP AVATAR   STOP AVATAR - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 9:27 pm

Bamshalam wrote:
Ignoring that, though, if no one used display fonts the world would be a boring, dry place full of nothing but helvetica and like, Times New Roman (because that's the only damn serif typeface people ever ass themselves to use nowadays and it drives me up the wall).

I mainly use Georgia for stuff I'm typing up, or Garamond 3 for stuff I'm designing and need a serif font for, since it's so legible at smaller sizes.
Back to top Go down
Bamshalam
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Bamshalam

PostSubject: Re: STOP AVATAR   STOP AVATAR - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 9:59 pm

Bamshalam wrote:
Ah. Yeah.
We're talking about Avatar, here. Cost is a non-issue.
Point.

And outside of Avatar it's still no excuse to use it for a title/shop name or something when drawing your own lettering really isn't that hard for something that short... which is when it pissed me off the most.
If someone's using papyrus for their shop name, odd are they don't have a graphic designer doing it for them. Considering this, if they don't know how to hand letter (which is a lot harder than it looks if you don't know anything about lettering, fonts or drawing to begin with,) what they manage to churn out will probably look way more shitty than papyrus does.
Back to top Go down
Blooferlady
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Blooferlady

PostSubject: Re: STOP AVATAR   STOP AVATAR - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 10:37 pm

All throughout high school I used bright red papyrus font in all my emails. Trollface

Anyone else notice the sudden increase in the use of Bleeding Cowboys? Cause it's just everywhere anymore.

Also Helvetica ftw.
Back to top Go down
http://blooferblog.tumblr.com
Mafiosa

PostSubject: Re: STOP AVATAR   STOP AVATAR - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 10:39 pm

WAIT

People actually use Times New Roman for things besides essay papers?

wtf

e: holy shit bleeding cowboys is hideous
Back to top Go down
Chaltab
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Chaltab

PostSubject: Re: STOP AVATAR   STOP AVATAR - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 10:59 pm

As a former maker of signs, I'd say Papyrus has its uses.

But they are very. very. few.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: STOP AVATAR   STOP AVATAR - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 12:09 am

You guys are such nerds it hurts sometimes.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

FOCUS!

Something about trannies being the future and Avatar being bad. And how that's half retarded.
Back to top Go down
Jay/Cris
The Word Police
The Word Police
Jay/Cris

PostSubject: Re: STOP AVATAR   STOP AVATAR - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 3:22 am

Having avoided Avatar like the plague, I´d like to put in a good word for Book Antiqua.

Also, I'd like to nominate this one here for Best Derailed Thread, 2010.
Back to top Go down
http://www.crisiks.livejournal.com
Malganis
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Malganis

PostSubject: Re: STOP AVATAR   STOP AVATAR - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 5:15 am

Blooferlady wrote:
All throughout high school I used bright red papyrus font in all my emails. Trollface

You're a bad person and should feel bad. Trollface

Quote :
Anyone else notice the sudden increase in the use of Bleeding Cowboys? Cause it's just everywhere anymore.

Shit, I'd never even heard of or noticed it before now. Shocked

Mafiosa wrote:
e: holy shit bleeding cowboys is hideous

Aww, I kinda like it. Then again, I'm probably partial to fonts that are somewhat illegible. STOP AVATAR - Page 2 309696
Back to top Go down
myeerah
Contributor
Contributor
myeerah

PostSubject: Re: STOP AVATAR   STOP AVATAR - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 9:25 am

I have a friend whose emails consist entirely of green Comic Sans. I try not to hold it against him. I tend to Verdana, myself; I like legible, clean fonts.

Times New Roman is hideous and I wish it would stop being the default in my work email.
Back to top Go down
Drabbler
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Drabbler

PostSubject: Re: STOP AVATAR   STOP AVATAR - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 10:36 am

I just prefer to use a font where the g looks like a proper g.
Back to top Go down
SirDixonDongs
SirDixonDongs

PostSubject: Re: STOP AVATAR   STOP AVATAR - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 11:21 am

i like wingdings
Back to top Go down
Mafiosa

PostSubject: Re: STOP AVATAR   STOP AVATAR - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 11:47 am

I like wongdongs.
Back to top Go down
SirDixonDongs
SirDixonDongs

PostSubject: Re: STOP AVATAR   STOP AVATAR - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 11:49 am

touche
Back to top Go down
myeerah
Contributor
Contributor
myeerah

PostSubject: Re: STOP AVATAR   STOP AVATAR - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 11:54 am

SirDixonDongs wrote:
touche

Isn't that the idea?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: STOP AVATAR   STOP AVATAR - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

STOP AVATAR
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next