Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Confessions of a Fangirl: An Author Self-Sporks

Go down 
+3
Sutremaine
InkWeaver
ellecue
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
ellecue

ellecue

Confessions of a Fangirl: An Author Self-Sporks - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Chapter Fifteen: Screwed Day   Confessions of a Fangirl: An Author Self-Sporks - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 3:33 am

LOL Snape+catwomen is way too cool for this fic, sadly.

FF.Net makes it pretty clear that so far, I've only reviewed HALF the freaking fic [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]. There are 20 chapters. ~45k words.

I see the rest of the way will be an uphill battle.

On the bright side, getting up to Chapter 15 allowed me to post the second half of my dialogue comparison between this fic and more recent works. I grieve to say it, but the dialogue in this fic is actually getting worse.

Chapter Fifteen: Tuesday
Ah, here is where I douche out and replace paragraph breaks with line breaks. Making it more difficult to read must've been a subconscious cry for help.

Mr. Weasley talks to Folken about his stupid device from the last chapter, and Folken demonstrates his Stealth Cloak.

Quote :
Eriya entered the Great Hall to look for Folken. She were looked upon oddly by the surrounding people, most of whom were polite enough to leave her be. However, as she passed the Slytherin table, the Malfoy men laughed unpleasantly. "We have a freak amongst our midst?" commented Lucius Malfoy softly.
"She appeared with some other beast the other day; attacked a teacher," exaggerated Draco Malfoy. Eriya had a very low tolerance of people who were prejudiced, especially when they thought she'd attacked Lord Folken! Hissing, she reached out and clawed the two of them, and prepared to threaten them
Yes. Attacking people who accuse her of attacking someone is sure to set the record straight.
Quote :
"These people," hissed Eriya, "they said I attacked you, called me a beast and a freak, Lord Folken."
Folken looked infuriated at this, and the Malfoys shrunk from his imposing form. "What was your meaning?" he asked them in a steely voice.
"Nothing," blurted out Draco boldly, "just sharing with my father some background information about what's been happening at our school. Nothing wrong with that, is there?"
"There can be. But as I've asked- and don't want to have to ask again- what was your intention?"
"He was telling me of what went on, we've told you," argued Malfoy, senior. "I have merely never seen such an... unusual being in Hogwarts before."
"Pity," said Folken. "Enlightenment could've done wonders for a narrow-minded man, or should I say beast?" Turning to Draco, he dictated, "Thirty points off Slytherin, and a detention; maybe you still have hope. However, I am not planning to tolerate any prejudice against anyone other than yourselves any time soon."
*fingers crossed* pleasegethimfiredLuciuspleasegethimfired

Quote :
Folken got Winky to go and clean herself up. When she emerged bout three minutes later, Folken prepared to keep her busy with cheerful tasks. Picking flowers for the Great Hall was one of these things, and Winky set to work right away.
What a Stu! No one else ever managed that one.

For some reason, Defence is teaching Memory Charms. I guess it's Defence of the Dark Arts after all.
Quote :
"Could I have a volunteer to break an object for me?" Neville Longbottom volunteered, and smashed an empty ink bottle with vengeance (he'd dropped one in Potions the other day, and therefore felt very liberated to be asked to do the same now). [...] Folken bent down to where the remnants of the ink bottle was. He blew lightly on his hand, then drew his hand over the pieces of the ink bottle, which formed together instantly.
Turning to Hermione, Harry muttered, "Obliviate!" Hermione's eyes slid out of focus, and she looked around dreamily.
"Why is there an ink bottle on the floor?" she asked absent mindedly (Neville picked up his ink bottle at this point).
"There," said Folken. "Now pair up, and tell your partner something simple. Then, just lightly edit their memory with the spell."
Worst testing of Memory Charm ever. What difference does an ink bottle make? WTF is Folken doing with his hand? Am worried he is becoming our new Stu.

I really did hope that using adults instead of students would make the fic less stupid, but instead it just makes it more boring.
Quote :
She supposed it would be fitting, as a princess, to at least try and figure out everything she could of this strange land. That was actually her intention of coming to begin with, after all. This world's timings were different, and their methods of doing several motions were unique.
I'm just going to come out and say it, since I can't be the only one thinking it: is she talking about sex?

Quote :
"I want to find out everything I can about this place, and you're the only one I can ask," Eries begrudgingly admitted. Folken went to his office, and came out with several large books.
"Read," he directed her, and seeing her dubious expression, added, "Don't worry, you will be able to read it."
'Well, damn, that didn't lead to the orgy I was hoping for.'
Again someone wants to know EVERYTHING! Good thing Folken has The Books of Google. I want those books. I guess this answers the question of the Gaeans being literate. Still pretty sure Duncelena's not.
Quote :
When she reached the class, quite out of breath- for Allen hadn't noticed her predicament, otherwise he'd have been gallant and carried the books- the professor there [Snape] suddenly brightened up and acted very civil, and reached out to carry her books for her with a large smile. His arms sagged slightly under the weight.
Why would Allen pay attention to her? There are teenage girls around! why wouldn't Snape just bespell the books into lightness? And don't tell me he'd have trouble carrying them, cauldrons are heavy.
Quote :
He flashed her another smile after turning around to scowl at Harry Potter.
I'd believe he was flashing her before I'd believe he was flashing her a smile.
Quote :
"What do you think he's doing?" Ron whispered to Harry, who flashed a sudden grin.
"I think the man's in love," remarked Harry, somewhat maliciously. Ron looked as if his family had just won the lottery.
"No way!" he breathed. "Do you know how much easier this will make it on us in class? Can you believe how much better the Gryffindors will have it, not to mention Neville? I mean- wow! It'll be like Snape's become a twinkle fairy compared to his usual self! It'll be a new life for us all!"
While I bet the getting laid would help, Ron's making an ass out of you and me here. Damn you, Ron! I didn't sign up to be Bottom, if you know what I mean!
LOL that Neville is mentioned as a totally separate entity from the Gryffindors.

Quote :
he started swearing [...] he was running out of words. At least in English, anyway. Therefore, Guimel thought the only fitting thing to do would be to find out whether he could speak in Gaean or not. [...] Guimel realized, with delight, that he could actually speak Gaean. [...] "We can speak Gaean here," he told Selena.
1) they only have 1 language on Gaea?
2) is it just me, or is the word 'Gaean' making even less sense than it did before?
3) THEY INSTANTLY SWITCHED TO A STRANGE LANGUAGE AND NEVER BOTHERED WITH THEIR MOTHER TONGUE SINCE THEY DID EVEN THOUGH THEY ONLY HANG OUT WITH EACH OTHER? *sticks head in oven for an hour*

Quote :
Suddenly, as Eries picked up her theology book, something shimmered in the air next to her, and Folken appeared beside her. Luckily, it was not in the princess' nature to scream.
"Hello, princess," Folken greeted her with amusement at her reaction.
"You have a Stealth Cloak!" exclaimed Eries. "Where did you get it?"
"If you'll recall correctly, I was the one to invent them; why would I not have one on my being?" pointed out Folken.
Folken is a right bastard! If I took him & Eries out of this and turned their interaction into a romance, it would catch on like wildfire. Its origin in badfic makes it all the more potent.

Blah blah they talk and their next conversation, which should really be set at the end of a slumber party just before everyone falls asleep, is a boring heart-to-heart with reminiscing and finding another special talent of Folken's and forgetting about the he-destroyed-my-country thing. It's like they're the new badfic!Kira/Dukat.

Quote :
Professor Snape sidled into the library. He'd been looking for the woman he'd had in his earlier Potions class, because he didn't know her name, [...]He looked extraordinarily different than he had that morning. His hair had been cut and washed by one of the house elves, and he'd dyed one of his black robes green (he was, after all, still a Slytherin teacher). The effect wasn't horrendous, but was in fact a largely significant improvement, although not complete beautification.
Oh great, makeover!Snape. LOL he would make a house-elf cut his hair. I know from experience, being Eurasianly yellow, that neither black nor green is a suitable shade to wear for his complexion. Tsk, tsk. Where are the queer elfs for the straight guy when you need them?
Quote :
"Pardon me," he began softly.
I'm pretty sure the only nice attribute anyone ever attributes to Snape is his voice. He's not going to begin slinkily or silkily or seductively or sexily or- *overdosing on s-lies*
I regret to inform you that Admiral Great Leader Ly has launched a coup. We are currently - oh no! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] - fighting it off, but it seems he just has too much power.
Quote :
Professor Snape, entering the Hall, sat down in the seat next to Folken; he had some investigating to do. "Hello," he greeted Folken effusively, "how are you doing on this fine day?"
"It's windy, raining frequently, and cold, with gray skies," pointed out the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher.
"The best kind of day," countered Snape, then got control of himself.
Now that their positions are switched, it's pretty clear that Folken is a real bitch. Thanks for the weather report, Weatherman Fanel!
Quote :
"So, you were in the library! Do you enjoy reading?" Folken nodded at this. "And you have a girlfriend then!"
"Who, do you mean Eries?" wondered Folken. "Not at all."
Snape leaned in with a puzzled look on his face. "Really? You seem to know her quite well!"
Watching me try to write Snape try to make conversation is like watching Suelena try to think something through, which is like watching a clothed monkey ride a bicycle... this is all getting rather Mother Goosical.
Quote :
"Don't be ridiculous," scoffed Harry, "why would there be any romantic background? I mean, she suddenly" Ron shrugged
Not sure what happened to the end of that sentence. Guess Great Leader Ly stole the rest of it for rations or something.
For people who would never, ever want to know anything about Snape getting laid, they sure are taking an interest in his love life.

Hermione tells a story in a way she wouldn't if she were drunk and drugged up:
Quote :
"Well -and you'll never believe this- Professor Snape came in several hours after, and he'd had some sort of makeover. Anyway, he comes over to her (Miss Aston, I think she said her name was?) and gives her a Bible which he says she left in Potions."
"So?" Harry repeated.
"Wait," protested Hermione, "I'm getting there, and it's hilarious. So Snape hovers around for several minutes, and he gets completely ignored! It was really funny, seeing him just standing there waiting for thanks or maybe even a love declaration, when Miss Aston and Professor deFanel have NO idea he's there, they're just reading their separate books." Ron imagined this, as did Harry, and they burst out into loud laughter, which didn't cease for a while.
The tense shifting! Real Hermione commits seppuku again over the grammar of it (nice thing about being with the X-Men is that they can always bring you back to life).

Quote :
"And since the Aston woman is about the same age as our Defense Against the Dark Arts, Snape's checking the man out to see if he has any romantic background with her!" Ron finished triumphantly. "And if he saw them together in the library, it works out perfectly!" With this dramatic conclusion, Ron slammed his hand on the table, hard, causing dishes to rattle and getting him many dirty looks from several Gryffindors in the surrounding disaster area. [...] "Maybe he'll try to rape her or something."
I think I was subconsciously writing Ron the Death Eater. Who was on drugs. I suppose real Ron left Opposite World to... again, not sure what redheads do, but he's been replaced by fake Ron at this point. At least even fake Hermione reacts in sufficient disgust.
Quote :
Harry spent the remainder of wondering why his year had been so peaceful. Granted, it was an excellent change- aside from being strung from a tower-
Idk, sounds like Harry's over it to me. It was peaceful because I sucked at plotting and actual conflict was icky.
Quote :
Of course, it would have been a golden opportunity to take advantage of a large, magical castle, and start exploring, in Harry's opinion. As he considered this idea, he thought it better and better in quality, and began to prepare a limited itinerary in his mind. Of course he'd need his Invisibility Cloak & Marauder's Map, and Ron and Hermione would be coming with him, unless they didn't want to. And maybe he could visit Dobby, before his plans became too large-scale, disproportionate, and ridiculous.
Captain Psychic sinks another of Awesome's battleships (take that, Great Leader Ly!). Captain Obvious and General Exposition, however, are holed up having a drinking game over this paragraph.

Quote :
the school was more filled up than usual, so he had limited room to practice his sword fighting skills. [...] "You know where there's a spare tower anywhere?" asked Van.
The brown eyes of the twins glittered. "We sure do!"
At least their eyes weren't sienna or chocolate, even if they did have to glitter. Will blame The Twilight Effect on a Weasley's Wizard Wheeze.
Why does Van need a whole tower for sword-fighting? I guess as an anime character he's contractually obligated to practice on top of one while the sun sets. Or he's going to jump off it.
Quote :
"Would you be able to show me, then?" asked Van with the political politeness, yet forcefulness, which he'd been required to develop.
Really? To me it reads as "well, dumbasses, why aren't you showing me then?"
Quote :
"What do you want the tower for?" Fred asked curiously, pulling Van along. "Are you planning to get up to mischief-making?"
"If so, be prepared," said George solemnly. "It's a risky business, it is. In fact, we ourselves have been developing a pretty stunt for Grad Night."
"Not at all," said Van cheerily, having taken a liking to the quirky twins. "I need to practice my skill."
"Excellent, my man, excellent," praised Fred. "Here we are! And what skill will you be practicing today, my good man?"
Great Leader Ly's forces have doubled, and Said's grave has just been vandalised. Pathetic as it may be, this is the best dialogue the fic could shit out so far.
Quote :
"Say!" exclaimed the twins together, looking at each other as an idea formed in their heads. They stood off to the side until Van had completed what he wanted to accomplish, then George stepped up to Van.
"Have you heard about the Slytherin bugger who's been boasting of his great swordsmanship lately?" asked he of the red hair
Urgh. I must've been trying to be cutesy and quirky this whole time. You were not a Gilmore Girl, Past Me! Not to mention how strange that descriptor was when the Weasley twins were both there.
The next bit is tiresome from trying too hard but more interesting because of Fred and George.
Quote :
"Why, you do catch on fast, don't you?" remarked Fred, and withdrew a Filibuster's Firework. "OK, we'll want to move back now," cautioned he, sticking the firework in the statue's mouth and lighting it. The three fairly ran for their lives, until they heard a loud explosion and angry voices. At this point, they came forward casually.
Well, Fred has a place in a terrorist organisation (such as that of Great Leader Ly's) if he ever wants one. Way to blow up the entranceway to Slytherin territory and hang around to be found out when their richer and more influential parents are there. Methinks Mr. Weasley may not be working for much longer.
Quote :
Draco withdrew a shiny sword from a sheath next to his robes.
Madam Malkin: "So THAT'S what he means when he tells me he needs more room in his robes for his sword. I just assumed he was a chip off the old block and starting early."
Quote :
"OK," yelled Lee Jordan, who the Weasley twins had Summoned there to be the announcer,
That sounds painful. And something Hogwarts: A History would not be too happy about.
Quote :
"Fanel is starting off with the well-known strategy of blocking every single move that his opponent sends his way.
Worst. Announcing. Ever. Can you imagine if UFC worked that way? "Red's blocking Yellow... still blocking... still blocking... I like his strategy."
It occurs to me, though, that this might have been an effort of mine to be... funny? So hard to tell.
Quote :
Van peered down humorously at Draco down on the floor, then held out a gloved hand to help him up. He was instantly pulled down towards the ground. "Fine, if that's the way you want it," he burst out angrily, took his hand back, and kicked the prostate Draco, then punched him on the face, walking backwards away from him. The watching Selena Schezar, however, looked horrified at this, and crouched down besides Draco, checking for any injuries.
This is the girl who tried to kill him!! I take it Suelena's heel face turn is just to make her look more ~*kind*~ and ~*forgiving*~ so when Bambi starts coming up to eat from Miss Butterfly-Crusher's hand, we won't be surprised.
Quote :
"No," he gasped, "you don't understand. It's my father, he overachieves for me.
He also thinks, cuts meat, chooses clothing and haircuts, plans dates, writes essays and picks friends for Draco. If you want it done right, you have to do it yourself.
Quote :
His face wrinkled up. "You're helping me," he realized. "Why? And, when the matter comes down to it, how?"
"I've been switched around to train in many fields over the past five or six years," explained Selena.
"But we saw you in that life machine. You were dead, or physically inactive during that period of time," pointed out Draco smugly. "And you haven't answered my question: why are you helping me? "
"Why not? You are, to the best extent of my knowledge, a sentient being, who would not appreciate being defeated in front of many, then bleeding. True?" Draco grudgingly nodded.
Hahahaha Duncelena and logic. She probably doesn't even recognise it's him. Or forgot. He's right to be suspicious, though, in case the thought floats back up through her airhead again that she's supposed to slap him.
Quote :
The largest agony was the people staring at him and laughing at his defeat. The Slytherins in the hallways shunned him, and the teachers were not to be seen anywhere in the corridors, as they were holding conferences with disappointed and distraught parents.
Why aren't we seeing these parent-teacher conferences instead??
Mr Granger: "Is he awake?"
Mrs Granger: "Honey, I don't think he's alive."
Mr Granger: *tries to perform CPR, only to have hand go through* "Oh my God!"
Binns: *starting to pay attention* "Ah yes, I remember the sightings at Hogwarts. It was in 1879 when... *drones*
Mrs Granger: *stifles yawn* "We're taking Hermione to Vienna for the summer, and she's not allowed to read a single book when we're there."
Mr G: *jumps as Binns floats through the wall* "To hell with that, we're going to Vienna the second we get back to London. I need a vacation. I don't know how Hermione deals with this all the time."

Quote :
"We're here," he hissed in a low voice. He had intentionally meant to proclaim this in a joyful voice, but decided against this.
General Inconsistency still can't tell what that meant.
Quote :
"Shut up, you filthy Mudblood," insulted Draco.
"I personally wouldn't be surprised if my blood has turned to mud, considering scientific matters of my own. However, if this happened, don't you believe my skin would have more of a brown tint?"
"Oh! idiot. Mudblood is anyone with common Muggle parents, fool."
"I'm not common. I am Lady Selena Naria Schezar, a member of one of the older families around. My brother's a Knight, and we have a large house with servants and property. I can fight, heal, and know politics, economics, human behavior, am well-read and have good managing skills," described Selena honestly. "And this I can tell you with perfect certainty, although I am not trying to boast."
"So? You're a girl, anyways," noted Draco sulkily.
Selena laughed, loud and long, at this remark. "Am I?"
Dingdingding! Draco wins the next Potter award. Let's hope he uses the prize money to take those swastikas and penis drawings off Said's grave.
Not content to have her life leaked to the whole school, Suelena practices her new way of introducing herself with Draco. With LIES.
I've had the folk song "We'll Rant and We'll Roar" in my head lately to help keep me ranting and roaring about this awful fic; the narrator in that says "I can dance, I can sing, I can reef the main boom" and that's enough for him to sound way more educated and qualified than Duncelena. I bet neither one can read, and I would bet Suelena couldn't handle a jigger, but she's a Sue. She's probably every inch a whaler, born upon the bright blue sea.

Now for a cascade of Potter Awards and a stunning inability to process sarcasm:
Quote :
"You're not in your common room," she observed when he came near.
"Which could explain why I am standing in front of you at this very opportune moment," finished he sarcastically.
"Aren't you brilliant."
"Do you really want me to answer that? Yes, I am brilliant, considering I'm the second highest in our form," argued Draco.
"You sound like you enjoy arguing greatly, and jump at all chances to argue," Selena noticed.
"It's good fun to argue with Potter, at any rate."
"You'd be talking about Harry Potter?" Draco nodded. "You two would make good friends, don't you believe?" To this Draco did not respond, but turned away from the speaker in question. "I happen to be leaving now,"
OMG, it's like hearing "Who's on First" as reenacted by a pair of squabbling siblings.

Next comes the most shameful and absolute worst plot point yet, and I know how much that's saying:
Quote :
"Salutations, Gatti. What're you looking at?" he asked the other.
Gatti jumped. "Nothing," he muttered, sweeping the papers off his bed and underneath it, "just looking at some old records I found here."
"Gatti, my friend, old records you found from the castle aren't so personal that you're hiding them," reasoned Shesta. "Here, let me have a peep at them. You looking at your family?"
"More or less," revealed Gatti, and Shesta reached down with surprising agility and snatched up the papers. "HEY!" [...] "He's taking my things," panted Gatti.
"Excellent, let us all see," commanded Dilandau imperiously. "Oh, except for Van."
"Shut up, Dilandau," ordered Van, and cuffed him on the head. This started another fight
Punch & Judy had a better script than this.
Quote :
"Gatti, my man, why didn't you ever tell us you're a widower with a daughter?" This news was startling enough to warrant a break in the fight between Van and Dilandau.
"You were married?" Dilandau asked his DragonSlayer sharply, through a bleeding mouth. "You had a child?" [...]
"You got married at thirteen," stated Ginny incredulously.
"It's a family custom. My family has many customs, including that one. Another one is to have a child in the first year of your marriage, or as soon as possible, [...], my baby girl should be three years old by this time- she's very smart, though- and Meia will be thinking I'm dead, that she's an orphan. I don't even know if she'd recognize me when I go back to Gaea this summer."
It's SO BAD I just... fuck. *sticks head in shark tank for a while*
Quote :
"So what are you planning to do, walk up to the front gate of your house, scare the living lights out of the servants- not to mention the whole household- and just announce, 'Here I am! I've decided to come back! And could you air out my bedroom, since you've never touched it since I died?' "
Shesta could be very practical when he wanted to be.
"That's as far as my plan goes," answered Gatti frankly. "What else would there be to say?"
"My dear fellow, we should bring you your daughter!" roared Guimel merrily. "It's Parent Week, remember? You're a parent, so it won't matter!"
I think the characters spend their lives drunk. That's the only way this exchange makes sense.
Quote :
"You were in the army; not exactly requited to share personal information,"
I think that's a typo. If not, it makes things interesting...
Shesta wrote:
I'm glad not knowing where my grandfather is- he has monophobia where money is concerned.
What does that mean?? He's scared of having just 1 thing, so he diversifies his portfolio? Um, Shesta, with the troubled times of rebuilding in Gaea, you should be glad of that.
Looked it up: the fear of being alone. Got it: he's like Scrooge McDuck except he has a compulsive need to tote his money pool around with him. Possibly his nephews too. Maybe Shesta is annoyed about being carried around like a flour sack when he was a toddler.
Quote :
"Would your girlfriend be mad at you if she knew you had a family, Gatti?" he wondered.
"Probably. [...] "I know, I'll give her flowers!
HE'S SIXTEEN. If she wasn't mad at him, she wouldn't be worth being with in the first place.
Side note, his girlfriend is one of the reader inserts, although I'm not sure she liked this twist. I can hardly blame her, except for the 'encouraging me' part.
Quote :
Guimel spoke seriously and perceptively. "[...] let's look at Selena. She disappeared, and that was for ten years, and she's fine now.
BAHAHAHAHAHAHA Major Understatement is pretty sure she hasn't healed from that lobotomy they gave her yet. Even Great Leader Ly can't gain power from those adverbs; he says they're faulty.
Quote :
"Selena's gone through horrible changes, and her mother died after she disappeared," Ginny reminded him.
"Is the world working against me, or just all of you!" was Guimel's withering response, which wasn't answered.
Thank you, Ginny! Also for calling Dilandau a "horrible change"
Quote :
Alexia hadn't been strong enough to feed the baby, and Gatti's relatives hadn't helped. His clan had a strong sense of self-sufficiency, which in other words meant they didn't throw a bone to Gatti for help.
Alexia had been living in a small inherited house, with inherited servants and Gatti had gone out into the village to find a wet nurse. He paid for it with the money accumulated from their parents' wedding gifts
How many bones does Gatti want? He got a whole damn skeleton!
More evidence of the subconscious knowing how awful this fic is: Alexia is the condition of damage to the brain making someone lose the ability to read (Major Brain Damage finds illiteracy sexy!). I suspect we will all be suffering from it by the end of this fic.
Quote :
They had still done many things together, although Gatti doubted that the three-year-old Meia remembered them.
They had used the nearby brook to go wading on hot days.
They had gone on picnics.
They had picked berries in the nearby forest until their hands were smeared red or purple.
He sounds like the child in these reminiscences, not the parent.

OMG the narm of the ending:
Quote :
he heard wails from the inside. Gatti had a sense of curiosity, and it came out then in the form of haste.
But as Gatti stepped inside the warm room and peered around to determine where the crying had come from, a squeal came instead, and the people in the room saw a young girl stand up and scream, "DADDY!" These same people saw this little girl run over to the young man who had just entered the room.
And they saw him laugh and scoop the little girl up in his strong arms.
These people... I hear them sing, singing the songs of angry men. I'd be angry too. In fact, I am.
Again arms must be strong. Idk why it's not a tautology at this point, like tuna fish or blood red.

Quote :
A/N: I saw a note on the site, Those Who Hunt Dragons, that Gatti was said to be married. I then decided t use this fact to add a twist to the story.
Oh, it's twisted all right. Congratulations.
Quote :
If you review, could you tell me:
Are Fred/Naria, George/Eriya, Dilandau/Selena, Folken/Eries, Eries/Snape (insert evil laugh) good couples?
What was tolerable enough about this fic that kept you reading through 15 chapters?
What should happen next [if at all]?
Which characters do you want to see more of?
Frig, the pairing up of twins to twins? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] How twee can you get?
OK, fine, I'll answer these questions.
1) No. Will say Eries/Snape just to be contrary.
2) Nothing. Only a seemingly bottomless well of self-blame, the need to occupy the Forces of Suck, and the urge to provide the public service of flaming a fic that so desperately needs it keeps me going now.
3) LMAO @"if at all" and its [kooky formatting]. So I did know how pointless things were. Then why did I continue??
4) None. Nope, can't think of a single one. The real ones maybe.
Back to top Go down
Reepicheep-chan
Important Person
Important Person
Reepicheep-chan

PostSubject: Re: Confessions of a Fangirl: An Author Self-Sporks   Confessions of a Fangirl: An Author Self-Sporks - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 12:34 pm

Ooooh! I came up with some Boggart ideas too~

Van's Boggart should be... A CHICKEN PLUCKING DEVICE.

Folken's should be... GOTH FANGIRLS.

Dilandau's should be... A PIMPLE.

Selena's should be... A CLOCK.

Naria and Eriya's should be... A TRIP TO THE VET.
Back to top Go down
ellecue

ellecue

PostSubject: Chapter Sixteen (part 1): Of Creeps, Awfuls, and Bile   Confessions of a Fangirl: An Author Self-Sporks - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 12:54 am

Being slightly buzzed and in a good mood from a combination of wine, Powerade, strawberries and clove cigarettes (all in the same glass. Except the cig, but don't think I didn't consider it), it seems like the perfect time to face up to another dreadful chapter. The bud I was getting drunk with was the one who flamed it all those years ago; when I brought it up, she said, "It was just so awful! Was it that way on purpose, or just that bad?"

It's a boon to have such truthful friends. Ones with good taste, at that. Unfortunately I did not meet them until I was already ashamed of this fic. Not sure if the two were related.

LMAO@ the Boggarts!! And if Snape's was Folken, then when he and the catwomen accidentally uncover a Boggart then it would somehow turn into a sextet, if you know what I mean. I'm assuming 1 vet per cat, solely so I can use the word "sextet". I bet Draco's in this fic is a large floating hand.

Chapter Sixteen (part 1): Of Speech, Quarrels and Smiles
Holy crap, this chapter is the longest of them all, at 10,000 words [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.].
When I finish, well I know I'm gonna be, I'm gonna be the girl who made it drunken through;
When I'm lonely, well I know I'm gonna see, I'm gonna see that it's my fault for writing you.
When I'm whining (and I'm whining!), well I know the work I do it is invaluable for letting out the truth,
When I bloooow, well I know it's gonna be, it's gonna be because this fic is a mind screw.
'Cause I did write 10,000 words, and now I see 10,000 more,
Hard to be the girl who must read enough to give us a long proper spoooork.

*ahem* Which is to say that it's way too freaking long for any of us to suffer through in one dose, so I'll just cover half for now. I seem to recall this chapter being my darling, my *shudder* masterpiece at the time. Probably just because of its length. If I was a Hogwarts student, I'd just spell a quill to insert this fic into my History of Magic essay just to meet length requirements. Binns is the only one this fic can't give headaches to.

Quote :
It was early the next morning, sunny and bright, which saw a small girl with straight bronze-tinted light brown hair clinging onto the robes of Gatti.
The Auditor General delivers another scathing report, "Which or That?" based on this sentence. Good thing her office is so focused on grammar, otherwise she'd never get past my awful opening sentences.

Y'all, I'm worried that the daughter in question is actually that hell-spawned spine-breaking werewolf-stealing humanpire whose name we dare not speak. That's right. Stephenie Meyers stole that freaky plot device Renesmee from my fic.

Quote :
The girl was looking up at him with large turquoise eyes
I don't keep track of Twilight eye colours (I'd say 'Who does?' but I'm worried I'd receive an answer) , but based on the MSness of it, I'm going to say this clinches it. SM, I demand restitution! If you are to further frequent the Forces of Suck, I insist on my cut.
Quote :
Several of the parents were looking amiss at the two, finding Gatti too young to have a daughter. Especially if he was in school!
Why can't he drop out like any other teenage parent?

Damn, and now we have to listen to freaking child-speech. Everyone knows children aren't actually intelligible until, like, 7, so this seems like wasted sap on my part. Wasting sap was probs my way of acting out because I was the only Canadian student ever who never got to visit the maple farms. Orchards. Whatever. See? So left out!
Quote :
"Daddy," announced Meia proudly to him, "my birthday was two days ago! I'm three whole years old now!"
Gatti laughed. "Are you? Good! We'll have to buy you something at the village to celebrate, then. That is, if you want to come..." Meia, excited at the aspect of a present, heartily agreed.
A 3-year old excited at the aspect of a present? Hmph. Amateur. If that was my kid, I'd make sure she was all about the facets.
Quote :
The breakfast was gobbled down relatively fast because of this new, innovating promise
It took him 3 years to come up with the idea of bribing her? Suelena rubbed off on him so hard I'm worried he has another kid on the way.

Oh crap. Hit me Captain one more time. Captain Psychic reminds me he's about to find out that yes, he does.

Quote :
Meia began to poke around in Gatti's bag while Gatti recovered his breath, and the students began to trail in dismally with their parents a short while later.
I bet it's because Snape has tied their final grade to how perfectly their parents can brew an army-strength Sleeping Draught... to be tested on them, of course. Oh evil Snape, why did I ever stray from you?
Quote :
A small explosion came from the end of his wand, which Meia had been poking jubilantly, and she started to cry loudly. "No, no," said Gatti in distress, "don't cry, honey, please? Don't worry, nothing happened, and I know it was a loud noise."
"You aren't mad? You aren't going to kill me?" sobbed the poor girl.
"No!" exclaimed Gatti vehemently. "Where did you get that idea?" he asked his daughter softly, trying to calm her down.
"Grandmother and Grandfather, I heard them talking, and they said that you had a bad temper (what's that, Daddy?) and you'd kill anyone who got in your way, and you already have, they said."
That seems like a strange way to congratulate themselves over their son's military successes. Maybe Dilandau came by and slapped them. What toddler calls their grandparents by 3-syllable words?
Quote :
"Sh," Gatti coaxed Meia, "and no, I'm not mad, honey. I'm not going to kill you! A temper is how someone can handle bad things happening, that's all. Your grandparents just sometimes don't understand very much, that's all."
Private Explanation must've been overtaken by Major Brain Damage before this or something, that's all.
Quote :
Professor Snape came over, in a very bad mood. "What's all this noise?" he asked thunderously.
"Nothing, sir," replied Gatti wearily, having had to answer this same thing many times. "It's just Meia, she accidentally set off my wand in sparks."
SOOOOO glad it never occurred to me to do an awful next-gen fic! I'm sure this girl would've been our new Sue. Head Girl, too. And Dilandau and Suelena's kid would never suffer from being fatally inbred. Or be named Dolly, more's the pity.
Quote :
After several minutes of staring, Snape's phase of confusion ended, and his agape mouth closed with a snap. "That will be enough, you," he snapped, and walked on past. Meanwhile, Dalet, who was very alarmed by small children, had been desperately trying to calm Meia down and keep her quiet. To his great relief, he succeeded, and gave a large, gusty sigh.
Dammit I wanted Snape to bespell her mouth shut or something. Now mercy is lost to us.
Quote :
Folken found Gatti and Meia a slight comparison to the relation he and his brother had once had, a long time ago. They got along quite well at the moment, when all was admitted, but if their lives had not changed as drastically, they would have had a better relationship.
General Exposition commemorates Major Writing Flaws, even if he did destroy everything good, ever; it's hard out there for a pimp.

Quote :
"The Ministry has given us the excellent opportunity of broadening our horizons to learn other subjects: Mathematics, English, and Social Studies." Eries, who'd gone to the breaking point from living her monotonous life, had gone out for the post of an English teacher.
"What are your qualifications?" Dumbledore had asked, and Eries had had to think hard on this point.
"I can read, and write-" at least she's hoped she could- "and I can look at many different viewpoints on subjects, and I've read many different books- very different books."
It had not been the qualifications or descriptions but the quiet desperation and determination that had made Dumbledore hire Eries Aston for the new teaching post.
1) No wonder my early job interviews never went well.
2) There's something to be said about the audacity of applying to teach a language you never actually learnt.
3) I always wondered why Hogwarts never taught, y'know, actual knowledge. Are there some sort of potions for it or something? It's kind of laughable to think of an entire society with just an elementary school education, for the most part.

Quote :
"Folken!" called out Van, barging into his brother's office.
"What is it, Van?" asked Folken, ignoring the leering face of Draco Malfoy in the office, who was serving his detention.
Despite all the mean things I've said about Folken, there is one good thing about him: he isn't a fangirl. You'd think that would be a given since his Boggart is Goffic!1! fangirls (see above post ), but he could just have been in a war against them. I hear emos vs goths is big among the young'uns these days.
Quote :
"How much?" asked Folken, who was always generous when it came to his brother. He was counting on getting money from the Ministry for his Invitaspiritus, besides.
"Twenty Galleons?" Van estimated sheepishly, feeling very greedy to ask his brother for money.
Folken counted out the money from a small pouch, and wondered, "What happened to all the money that Selena pooled for all of you?"
"I traveled down to the village several days ago, and bought drinks," supplied Van.
I seem to recall Hermione's parents giving her 10 Galleons to cover a year of school supplies. Van's humble farm country will be auctioned off to pay for getting his wingtips done in no time.

Quote :
"I just got the teaching job here-"
"You did?" interrupted Folken, finding this unbelievable. "What about Asturia?"
"Millerna will have to take care of it; I'm not permitted to anyway! But I need your help with the new teaching post- 'English'?"
My gosh, Jean Chrétientoo Canuck again George Bush could teach better English than her.

Quote :
"Haven't I done enough for you?" pointed out Folken, but then offered, "I'll take you to the bookstore once the trip starts, and you can get some books, then just teach from that. Unless you'd rather not go to the village?"
Gosh! I joined Habitat for Humanity, replanted forests, increased the population [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] and set up a soft-rock fundraising concert in your country, and it's still not enough! When are you going to get over my wanton world destruction already? That's soooo last year.

Quote :
Draco fled, ready to report this startling new news to his father. 'We've got a new teacher, and she can't even teach!' was what he was planning to say.
Idk, I'm starting to lose faith in the power of the Malfoy firing. Dilandau loves firing, he & Draco should switch for a day.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I don't even remember if that's an actual plot point. I can't keep up with reality anymore!

Quote :
"Who's Folken?" asked Parvati curiously. "Isn't that Prof. deFanel's first name?"
"Folken works at the school," Selena explained briefly, ignoring the second question.
What a bitch! So it's fine to fart out secrets, but confirming common knowledge is off-bounds? Opposite World, you give me a headache. Or maybe that's my hangover starting early.

Quote :
"But Eries, you need money, don't you? Here, take this." Selena took out a jingling pouch, and passed it to Eries, who wanted to decline, but was cut off. "No, Eries, books cost money, and I know you do not want to begrudge yourself to Folken." This had to be admitted by Eries, if grudgingly. "And once you're done, look around for us, can you? I want to drag you around and force you
Nope, not going to quote the rest of that line. It's better this way.
General Exposition's soothing massage (apparently I have a lot of tension) inspired me to tell you that Eries wears a fair amount of gold jewellery on the show and doesn't actually need money. Maybe she's just relieved she didn't have to fight Suelena over her backlog of Stupidity Tax.

Quote :
Selena was dragged off firmly by Parvati and Lavender.
PLEASE LET THIS LEAD TO A SHOCKING TALE OF LESBIAN REVENGE UPON THE ONE JEALOUS CUR WHO THREATENED THEIR LOVE.

Quote :
"I'll show you," Folken yelled back, and made good on this promise.
Well, I'm making good on a bed, but you don't see me boasting unnecessarily. Whoops.
*sigh* The curse of Unnecessary Writer to remain Unnecessary sinks my battleship. Good thing the Adverb-IV Submarine stays afloat with all that hot air in it. Ruins the Sub of Submarine, but makes a great liferaft.

Quote :
he steered Eries towards the store, and asked the assistant to get some books on the English language for Eries
"What is this English you speak of? With the power of magic, no one here has said a legible word in years! I'm communicating through my armpits right now!"

Quote :
Harry and Ron, who had been dragged to the bookstore by the excited Hermione, noticed this with amusement.
"You think there's something between them?" Ron asked Harry in a slightly loud whisper.
"Obviously more than there is between Snape and her," Harry pointed out, stifling a snigger.
I think Snape's not the only one with a crush on Eries. These two can't stop looking at her. PLEASE LET THIS LEAD TO A SHOCKING TALE OF SCHOOLBOY RIVALRY OVER A WOMAN WHO REFUSES TO BE TAMED.
What? Bad R movies still rank higher than this for entertainment.

Quote :
"Harry, Ron, come here. They've got a whole section on Quidditch, and I know you'll want to see them," she said[...]. Harry bought Ron about six Chudley Cannons memorabilia for his birthday
Huh. Didn't think you could get six memorabilia, but I guess *about* six is okay. Harry would like to add that he is on about his 23.548th viewing of Eries.
Hermione's line makes it clear this is about the 1st time she's got them into the bookstore. Hardly believed it until I remembered they were panting after the princess.

Quote :
Hermione, meanwhile, was reading Witch Weekly in the corner. There was a very interesting article on Love and Hate Potions, and Hermione wanted to brew a Hate Potion. This was for her own use, as she wanted to make herself stop being obsessed with Dilandau.
If she's so obsessed, why doesn't she make him fall in love with her? I think the holdup would be that he would look in the mirror first, and... sheesh, no wonder he loves Suelena.

Quote :
But as she moved on to the next page, she discovered there was a special on at Gladrags Wizardwear, and figured it would be worthwhile to get some new items of clothing, resist as she might.
'I want to have a scene with lots of girls and no icky boys for once. But how?? Of course! They must GO SHOPPING!'
PS my mum still bought my clothes at this point. Let's see if that shows through.

Quote :
she recognized Selena and Lavender being fitted in the corner. They being the most familiar faces, she approached them, and waved. The two greeted her readily, and Parvati came over and shoved an outfit on Selena.[...]"It's perfect for you; I think it's called a cheongsam?"
Will they steal her clothes and money while she does?? This revenge plot is not working out how I hoped.

Quote :
She did look nice in the camel-colored silk dress, and Parvati and Lavender forced her to buy it. They also made her get self-styling hair chopsticks (to go with their 'theme'), and high sandals, along with normal Muggle clothes.
Gosh, I really was a banana. Twinkie. Banana-flavoured twinkie. LOL that a cheongsam isn't considered "normal Muggle clothes", but I guess when you combine a Chinese outfit with Chinese eating utensils in your hair, you're irregular enough to need Metamucil.
Heinous cultural misappropriation for the sake of outfitting Sue: check! Next comes the sari with naan hat. Cheer up, Parvati, at least your name finally got spelt right.

Quote :
Hermione, having bought a hat
This idea is kind of epic, especially with her hair. I want her to be like the Queen when it comes to headwear now. Maybe her mutant power is to grow things out of her head, like Minerva (no wonder McGonagall was so weird about V&S beating up Draco, real McGonagall was with the X-Men), whenever she wants.

Quote :
"Those cat people, Van Fanel, Professor deFanel, and I brought Harry and Ron there," Hermione answered.
What, not 'our feline fellows in the fight for freedom'?

Quote :
Selena took Eries, Naria and Eriya with her to 'drag them around and force them
FOURSOME WITH TWINS! Ah, that's nothing. You should see what the Bottoms Up Submarine (it is a vessel of Suck, remember, they don't all work) gets up to on a daily basis.

Quote :
Hermione, who, feeling rather alone [...] went to flirt with the new waiter at the Three Broomsticks.
She doesn't know what she's missing out on! Or maybe that's why she's going for the Three Broomsticks. I'm sure Fred & George are around somewhere, if she's trying to compete (and it's Hermione, so she is).

Quote :
At that moment, Meia noticed someone's bright blue pointed hatsea. "Daddy," she cried, pulling his sleeve, "can I have a hatsea like that too?"
Gatti laughed. "You're going to go back home with a hat like that, I promise you," he vowed lightly, and urgently whispered to Hermione, "Where do I find a hat like that?"
I just transcribed Jack Was Every Inch a Sailor. Only the word 'sea' is allowed to follow 'bright blue' at this point. *readies self to tamper with quotes, abetted by General Good*
But first... it's SHANTY TIME!

Now, t'was ten or twelve or fifteen years since Folken's wings were white,
He came into Opposite World one dark and deadly night,
He was born a prince, it did no good, he lost his country too,
And once he set that one in flames he did the same to you!

Folken was every inch a traitor,
Five-and-twenty years a wailer,
Folken was every inch a traitor,
He was born with natural bright blue streakssea.

There are two other verses but I'll refrain. For now. This is totally my best one yet. But I guess if Folken couldn't handle a dragon, he sure couldn't handle a whale. Am hoping we can fit in DITTY TIME before the fic ends, though.

Quote :
Hermione led him over to them, and explained the situation simply, "Gatti wants to get a bright blue pointed hatsea."
"There's one in my bag, but it looks just like the one Queenie wore at Wimbledon, so bitches can get their own."
Quote :
Meia, meanwhile, slipped down from Gatti's arms, and ran around to look at the articles for sale. Gatti ran after her, and Parvati, Hermione and Lavender followed him. Lavender noticed a bright blue witch's hatsea as she ran, and snatched it up. Meia had stopped at a shelf with sunglasses at night, and pointing, said, "Can I get this too, Daddy?"
Okay, that last change was just for General Good's love of Awesome. Again the characters run willy-nilly like in Benny Hill, but they're going after a 3-year-old, so, permitted.
Quote :
"Of course, Meia," Gatti promised as Lavender and Parvati gasped
My word! When will these other teenagers stop bein' so fertile? We're going to have to wait years to find a gay person to donate sperm for us! Wait, Dumble- really? Well, no rush then. I'm sure he'll still be alive and kicking by the time we're done school.
Quote :
"She's your daughter?" Parvati asked suspiciously.
Are you sure she's not your son? We've heard things about where you come from.
Quote :
"Can I give something to Damien?" Meia asked her father.
"Who's Damien?" he wondered.
"He's Damien, Daddy! You know, my brother?" At this news, Gatti staggered against the socks aisle.
What, you thought Mama died because of the Antichrist? Or Major Brain Damage? Grownups can be so silly!
Quote :
"What brother?" he gasped- Lavender and Parvati listening to every word.
"The one that came before Mama died!" Meia said, sounding as if it was something that everyone should've known already anyway.
"So that's how Alexia died," muttered Gatti quietly to himself. Then turning to Meia, "Yes, you can give whatever you want to your brother."
Captain Psychic tries to high-five me, but I've decided not to forgive him for when he failed to inform me we were "In an Open Relationship" and not "It's Complicated".
Quote :
"So you have two kids?" Parvati still could not understand this fact.
Gatti nodded. "I suppose so," he admitted wonderingly.
"Oh! You..." Lavender gasped, but could not find any word suitable or derogatory enough to use.
...heterosexual!
Quote :
"Meia," Gatti addressed his daughter after buying her the bright blue witch's hatsea and sunglasses at night, "I'm running out of money
How the heck did they squander their fortune? Did they melt it down to give everyone gold flecks in their eyes? Maybe it's all the offscreen lawsuits for public indecency and killing people. The first is a badge of honour, the second a competition.
Quote :
Along his path, he saw Viole with his arm around Ginny, Mrs. Weasley suspiciously following them. He waved. "Ginny! Viole!" he shouted, and the two came over.
"Oh, so is this Meia then?" Ginny asked, bending over the small girl. Mrs. Weasley sidled up to her daughter at this moment, and tapped her on the shoulder. "Oh, hullo, Mum."
LMAO I thought she was chaperoning (another one from the "Spliffingly Fake, Old Cock!" collection... I think that collection gets used more in the next fic). But no, apparently she was creeping after them. I can't even picture Molly tiptoeing. It boggles the mind.
Quote :
Mrs. Weasley deemed herself as the chaperone and followed. Upon arriving, the five settled themselves at a table, Meia on Gatti's lap. They all ordered their orders, and Ginny offered to pick up the tab.
"Ginny?" her mother wondered, surprised. "How will you be able to pay for all this?"
"Oh, all of us pool our money," Ginny explained carelessly to her mother, who gazed at her for a moment before admiring a small tree.
Captain Psychic high-fives himself, since I won't.
Her daughter gets a new man and suddenly the cash starts flowing in? I'd be surprised if the tree Mrs. Weasley is 'admiring' didn't [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.].
Quote :
"So, how do you all know each other?" she asked, pointing at the group (not including Meia, however, as she assumed that the toddler was Gatti's sister).
I'd disbelieve in that level of pointing talent if not for who's doing it. Molly Weasley is my Chuck Norris, my Crouching Housewife Hidden Badass.
Quote :
"Gatti and I went to a training school and served together, and when we came here I met Ginny," indicated Viole.
"Served. How did you serve? Were you in jail?"
"No," replied Gatti. "We enlisted in the army."
Mrs. Weasley was stunned. "Well!" she exclaimed. "That must have been... interesting."
"Oh, it was," put in Gatti eagerly. "We got to see all sorts of different places!"
Yeah, right before you burnt them to the ground.
Quote :
"Yeah, right before we burned them," muttered Viole under his breath, and was kicked under the table by Ginny. She also shot him a Murderous Glance.
*sighs* Fiiiiiiiiiiiine. *high-fives Captain Psychic* But I'm still not talking to you!
Quote :
"Yes, Daddy," yawned Meia, and began to fall asleep in his arms. A short while later, Gatti departed with Meia, and Mrs. Weasley descended upon poor Ginny.
"Your friend is a father?" she hissed angrily. "What sort of people do you hang around with, Ginny? They've been in the army! The things they could've done! What are you doing with your life, girl?"
If only she'd said "gel" instead of girl, then I could check it off the "Spliffingly..." collection! It's not like her speech didn't belong there, anyway.
Wouldn't it have been easier to have the kid call him something else to avoid questions? Guess I always had my soft spot for father-daughter relationships, though I must've been pissed at my dad at the timeI was an adolescent, there was always something if this was the best representation I could come up with.
Quote :
"Hey!" broke in Viole angrily, then calmed down enough to speak. "With all due respect, my lady, Gatti was only tied down by family custom and responsibility.
Yeah, they set their clocks by his wife's ovulation and drugged them with aphrodisiacs!
Quote :
And the army was not particularly disreputable, for all that might be said. It is much better than living at sea, I tell you from personal experience.
I think you just told your girlfriend and her mother that you were a disreputable sailor with a girl in every port. Can't give you a Potter Award for that, but you're up for a Darwin one.
Quote :
As I observed from the beginning of the year, she was frequently unhappy, tired, pale, and had few friends. Of course, this is only an observation from a poor sailor boy who got into the army, so it would not serve to your high standards, I presume."
... aaand Mrs. Weasley learns that her daughter's sudden riches are not coming from her boyfriend. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Quote :
"Ginny," responded her mother stonily, "you have a lot to learn about life. It doesn't matter what class, but still. As I said, people like that..." Mrs. Weasley shook her head. "They're just no good, Ginny. That boy just upbraided me in front of the whole café! Now, what does that tell you about his character!"
Well, that blows the lid off the "Spliffingly..." word category. They can't even use it for Jeopardy now.
Wonder why I keep using European words (plaza, café) for what are clearly unglamorous strip malls and pubs/inns. This was way before that time where I ended up having to say 'Ciao' and do the kiss-kiss (all my friends at the time had names with squiggly accents).
Quote :
"It tells me, mother, that Viole is an eloquent speaker, who is good at summarizing
HA! Hahahahahaha. Major Brain Damage claims another one, I see.
Quote :
"One would think that after six others, one would have more practice at quarreling the seventh time around," she addressed it. "Apparently not; I haven't gotten my point across, and I've come off as the reigning loser."
I think the real Molly Weasley has been spirited away from Opposite World, probably to fill movie roles written for Samuel L. Jackson.

Quote :
Folken went to the Shrieking Shack to meet his brother, who showed up several minutes later. "Hello, brother," Van began, then got straight to the point. "I'll ask you what I was planning to ask. You know how Dryden Fassa and the Asturian princess got married in an engagement. There was never anything like that planned out for me, was there? No engagement?"
Folken shook his head. "No- not for you. But for me, there was, and it still stands."
HMM I WONDER WHO FOLKEN'S FIANCEE COULD BE. I CAN'T EVEN GUESS. MAYBE SUELENA OR HITOMI. I'm sure the real answer will come just as out of nowhere as this little conversation.
Quote :
He didn't continue, nor did Van press him to. Both had what could be called an unspoken agreement about this.
About... huh? His engagement that they never talked about? Continuing? So they both had an agreement; are we sure it wasn't just one of them? My lawyers (you find enough bodies in your murder house, you need 'em) are getting edgy just reading this. Ack, did it again! Back to the cattle prod for me.

Yeah, that's an end of scene, looks like half, I'm throwing in the towel for now. Jeez, the crap I used to manage to spew (don't say "Used to?" On an unrelated note, I'm going to start pretending there's an echo in here, or an escaped serial killer who wants his house back).
Back to top Go down
ellecue

ellecue

PostSubject: Re: Confessions of a Fangirl: An Author Self-Sporks   Confessions of a Fangirl: An Author Self-Sporks - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 24, 2010 5:47 pm

Chapter Sixteen (Part Two): Of Speech, Quarrels, and Smiles
Edited to add this newly-discovered neato trick of spoiler-tagging the snark, so we don't need to diddle our scroll wheels so much. After all, it's not like they reciprocate (unless you know something I don't...).

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
ellecue

ellecue

PostSubject: Chapter Seventeen: Into the Fail and Draggin' (part 1)   Confessions of a Fangirl: An Author Self-Sporks - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 29, 2010 3:56 am

I'm missing all the author's notes at the beginning, I gotta say. The problem with Past Me going all "srs writer now!!" is I chose to suck a lot of fun out of it for ~*TEH DRAMZ*~. Then again, there wasn't really anything funny to begin with.

Another reader-inserted character is present (speaking part and everything!), this time as Gatti Fed's girlfriend. Even she wasn't thrilled at how this chapter went. I suppose I'll continue to name-censor the self-inserts. Not that you couldn't look them up, but please don't hold it against them, who surely have grown up just as I have in the ensuing 8-9 years. Though I think a few of them forgot to take me off alert/faves.

Actually, someone added this story on alerts the other day. If it was a board member here, I regret to inform you that there's not a snowball's chance in Hell I'm letting this story move up in my Updated list and tarnish the fics around it by association; if it wasn't, then they probably aren't worth getting the message through to. I'll dump whatever's not posted, if there is anything, to a website once we near the end.

Chapter Seventeen (part 1): Into the Lairs of Dragons
*blinks* Pretty sure there are no dragons in this chapter, though maybe I'm wrong. I think the next few chaps get their asses into gear and actually do something. The title gets explained in the Author's Note at the bottom, anyway, and I'm sure said explanation sucks.
Spoiler:

Dammit, there are birds chirping outside my window (I thought all those backyard poisonous plants would be a deterrent). Anyone who wants to take up the thread of the rest of the chapter/further, please do - it's about 75% in. I'll add director's commentary if there's anything I can explain. Idk, I still don't understand most of what the characters are saying, mainly because I find it too unbearable to read the dialogue so I try to do it quickly, on the Bandaid Principle.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Later.
Back to top Go down
ellecue

ellecue

PostSubject: Chapter Seventeen: Into the Fail and Draggin' (part 2)   Confessions of a Fangirl: An Author Self-Sporks - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 2:45 am

Wow, it's been a week! How amiss have I been in updating? If it helps, I was in the States, doing my civic duty as bait for the serial killer who owned my house, trying to pick up more relevant snarking references (I'm sure it would've worked if I'd understood what people were saying), and subsuming myself in the glory that is $3 wine.

Oh America. Our beer could make you weep for the terrible knowledge of what you've been missing your whole life, but you had to one-up us by making a wine that costs only slightly more than a single bottle of Canadian beer. My friends tell me it smelt like rotting fruit, but my allergies to Republicanism were acting up so I didn't notice.

So now let us row our boats gently down the stream of diarrhea that is Chapter Seventeen (part 2): Into the Flairs of Flagons. I know I'd rather be flairing it up with some flagons.
Spoiler:
Well, sheesh, still 3 chapters and possible unpublished content (I've tried not to look; hasn't been hard) left. Each chapter has been so damn long - though I think they get shorter after this - and the snark has been even longer. Most threads don't seem to drag it out this long, so Idk. Is it still cool for me to continue? Have I done too much?

My friends and I have recently established that I'm a creep (I like it because it comes with a theme song!), so I may creep through with the rest of my creepy fic anyway. But I am kind of interested in knowing what the general limit is on these things. I could more easily conquer gravity than I could brevity.
Back to top Go down
Reepicheep-chan
Important Person
Important Person
Reepicheep-chan

PostSubject: Re: Confessions of a Fangirl: An Author Self-Sporks   Confessions of a Fangirl: An Author Self-Sporks - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 11:09 am

ellecue wrote:
Most threads don't seem to drag it out this long, so Idk. Is it still cool for me to continue? Have I done too much?

(...)But I am kind of interested in knowing what the general limit is on these things. I could more easily conquer gravity than I could brevity.

IMHO, threads tend to be shorter rather than longer because the OP gets bored and stops going at it. I think the fact that people who are reading the snarks but not snarking themselves will typically leave a fangirling comment somewhere upthread and then stop giving their input because they do not have anything constructive to add, even though they are still reading (and presumably enjoying), might having something to do with that as well. Continuing to snark chapter after chapter when no one is giving you feedback gets tedious, I think. Then again, maybe that is just me, I am pretty selfish like that.

IDK, I think on the green boards I did at least one snark that was almost as long. My fav snark of all time must have been about as long, but it had two people doing each chapter seperately IIRC. Reunited was pretty long as well, although that one was also a bunch of different people. Ideally the OP posts a link and snarks a small portion of whatever fic it is and other people join in, but it very rarely works out that way. So... uh... I would like for you to keep going.
Back to top Go down
ellecue

ellecue

PostSubject: Chapter Eighteen: Peeing Blight   Confessions of a Fangirl: An Author Self-Sporks - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 9:15 pm

Reepicheep-chan wrote:
IMHO, threads tend to be shorter rather than longer because the OP gets bored and stops going at it. I think the fact that people who are reading the snarks but not snarking themselves will typically leave a fangirling comment somewhere upthread and then stop giving their input because they do not have anything constructive to add, even though they are still reading (and presumably enjoying), might having something to do with that as well. Continuing to snark chapter after chapter when no one is giving you feedback gets tedious, I think. Then again, maybe that is just me, I am pretty selfish like that.

IDK, I think on the green boards I did at least one snark that was almost as long. My fav snark of all time must have been about as long, but it had two people doing each chapter seperately IIRC. Reunited was pretty long as well, although that one was also a bunch of different people. Ideally the OP posts a link and snarks a small portion of whatever fic it is and other people join in, but it very rarely works out that way. So... uh... I would like for you to keep going.
This is very informative. Thanks! I was a lurker on a whole lotta colours of the boards, but I never thought too much about how it worked until now when I'm doing it. Keep going I will!

Chapter Eighteen (part one): Being Right was not something I was good at. At least this one didn't kill off the Last Chapter Title Fairy.

Some background: most of this fic was written in the spring/summer of 2001. This chapter was written a year later, and the next a year after that. So this is around the time when I started shaking things up and, later, sabotaging my own fic, because I had gotten bored. Not to mention that by the next chapter, I began to get an idea of how bad it was, and fired Major Death-Nevermind and rescinded a few of his directives. Of course, only now am I getting the full brunt of the utter horror of Lashings of Stupidity.

[color=black]
Spoiler:

Ugh, my well of funny has run out. These just get harder to do, what with the... I'm not even sure what it is. I guess they just feel like they're taking too long. I've been doing this one on and off since the afternoon with random avocados along the way (you can see how that would tire a person out). Part Two to follow.
Back to top Go down
ellecue

ellecue

PostSubject: Chapter Eighteen: Weeing Sight   Confessions of a Fangirl: An Author Self-Sporks - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 11:57 pm

Whoops, I can't believe I left off after Part 1 of Chapter 18: Peeing Blight. Not very good of me. If it helps, a fair amount of this had been in drafts since Aug 20th... no? Doesn't help? Well, I left the Murder House for college residence - fortunately, the depravity levels did not change - so I've just woken up from a seven-month party. I'm pretty sure it happens to every forum member at some point or another, given the rich and fulfilling lives we lead.

I warmed up by writing a snark fic in another post (based off of a crossover, of course). Eternal President Ly may have been involved, so we're passing it off as peace talks. Now I am back where I belong, ready to carry out my mission to the death - the natural death, if it continues at this pace.

We last left off with the intrepid Gryffindors, bravely withstanding the long wait during their Code Hogwarts with great courage (this statement sponsored by the Spot the Tautology Committee... what? the war with North Suck is taking a lot out of the budget). Then comes a tremendously unfunny exchange that is only going to be exchanged for an even worse one.

Spoiler:
Whew. This is probably going to have to be the last of the full-out sporking now that it's gotten difficult to make this funny. I mean, all the outrageous spontaneous sword fights have been replaced by droning so-called banter! I disagree with Past Me that this was a good move. Maybe I will manage to find secret unpublished material that will open the floodgates of the Crap River once more. The last two chapters aren't going to be able to get their own snark-filled post, but I will do a little follow-up post to go over the ridiculous things that happen in them, as well as author's notes.

After all, Chapter 19 - Oops! No Name! does end on this high note:
Quote :
Laughing, Van turned to the corner and undid his trousers, but he twisted his head to Harry again. "Until you decide, Harry, I'll be waiting."
And yet Past Me was oblivious to the innuendo. Or, in this case, straight subtext.

And Chapter 20 - A Hard Place Confessions of a Fangirl: An Author Self-Sporks - Page 2 8638 has:
Quote :
[Van] reached out slowly to unfasten Harry's robes, hoping to find something [snipped for fun], but Harry's arm shot out and wrapped around his wrist.

Side question - is the formatting on my sig screwed up? Whenever I edit it, it looks fine in the preview, but then it ruins itself in the posts.

Last edited by ellecue on Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:03 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : was being followed by a moonshadow)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Confessions of a Fangirl: An Author Self-Sporks   Confessions of a Fangirl: An Author Self-Sporks - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Confessions of a Fangirl: An Author Self-Sporks
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2