HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Adventures of kurt and Blaine. Author

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
AmyB96

PostSubject: Adventures of kurt and Blaine. Author    Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:09 am

I'm the writer of . I Don't mind talking about my story it's just I read the comments and they were quite nasty. I have problems with spelling that are quite personal And if it makes your brain hurt Don't read it nobody is forcing you too.
SuperAwesomeISeeKlainebows

Last edited by AmyB96 on Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Owlish
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Adventures of kurt and Blaine. Author    Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:24 pm

Honey, your story sucks for a lot of reasons other than the spelling and grammar. It's awful mostly because you ignore huge parts of canon for both Harry Potter and Glee and your characters are barely recognizable. I suggest you take this as a learning experience, and if you really care about your writing then scrap this story and start over again, and keep some of those "nasty" comments in mind.
Back to top Go down
WD40
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach

PostSubject: Re: Adventures of kurt and Blaine. Author    Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:54 pm

Well, at least they aren't as over the top aggressive or mental as some other writers we get here...

AmyB96 wrote:
I'm the writer of Adventures of kurt and blaine . I Don't mind talking about my story it's just I read the comments and they were quite nasty. I have problems with spelling that are quite personal And if it makes your brain hurt Don't read it nobody is forcing you too.
SuperAwesomeISeeKlainebows

If you find the comments here nasty, then just don't read them, no one is forcing you to.

Back to top Go down
AmyB96

PostSubject: Re: Adventures of kurt and Blaine. Author    Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:08 pm

Thanks, I just found it harsh the person actually commenting on my story is 43 and I'm 14....
But thanks at least you were nicer
Back to top Go down
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer

PostSubject: Re: Adventures of kurt and Blaine. Author    Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:29 pm

On the chance that you are who you say:

Yes, we say a lot of harsh things on this board, that's what it's for- and I know that truthful critique can be very painful. The thing is, though, if you have the metaphorical balls to take that sort of criticism, and learn from it, you have a chance to actually become good at what you do.

Of course, if you're just writing stuff to amuse yourself, and have no real ambition, then you can just leave here and ignore us- we won't come flaming you, and we're just some people on the internet; you have no reason to care about us unless you care about your writing.

That said, this board is over-18 due to content, so you will be banned soon. Nothing's stopping you from taking something away from this, though.
Back to top Go down
EileenK98
Recovering Fanbrat
Recovering Fanbrat

PostSubject: Re: Adventures of kurt and Blaine. Author    Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:45 pm

AmyB96 wrote:
Thanks, I just found it harsh the person actually commenting on my story is 43 and I'm 14....
But thanks at least you were nicer

Hey, you should have seen the stuff I wrote when I was fourteen. I crossed over every fandom I could get my hands on: Three's Company and Star Wars? Sure! Dukes of Hazzard and Battlestar Galactica? Why not? I think I had a massive crossover where every single character from everything I was watching on TV at the time all lived in the same apartment complex, and had complicated romances.

So we've all been there. We don't point and laugh to be mean; we do it to remind ourselves how far we've come. The point is, as long as you learn from your mistakes, you'll be fine. Strive for perfection, and one day you may achieve it.
Back to top Go down
The Scientist
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Adventures of kurt and Blaine. Author    Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:54 am

I just think that if you're just writing for yourself and you know people are going to point and laugh (and you really don't intend the story to be good at all), then you should really not post it anywhere.

If I want people to criticise my work and help me become a better writer, I post the story in question on the internet. Other stuff I just write for my own amusement, and I know myself that it's totally silly, and it's not meant for anyone else. If you can't stomach criticism, then you have no business making the stuff you write public.

Except if your name is either Gloria Tesch or Christopher Paolini. They can't handle criticism and publish their drivel anyway.
Back to top Go down
Notanoni
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Adventures of kurt and Blaine. Author    Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:15 am

Most people who are 14 write stuff much worse than this.

If you don't want your feelings hurt it's best not to read sites where people enjoy your work by making fun of it.
Back to top Go down
The Scientist
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Adventures of kurt and Blaine. Author    Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:02 am

Should go without saying. I mean, what you see is what you get. Duh. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer

PostSubject: Re: Adventures of kurt and Blaine. Author    Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:13 am

The Scientist wrote:
If I want people to criticise my work and help me become a better writer (...) If you can't stomach criticism

But those aren't the opposites I'm talking about. Some people are ambitious writers, they care about their work, they read literature and think I want to write like that. Other people just think up a story and manage to wrap it in words, and being able to get the point across is good enough for them; that doesn't make me say maybe they shouldn't be posting it.

How well someone takes to criticism is -apparently- not related to how ambitious they are. We've seen mature responses as well as screaming hissy fits from either group.
Back to top Go down
rae
Contributor
Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Adventures of kurt and Blaine. Author    Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:58 pm

I'm going to second some of the advice you've already gotten. Either take all this to heart -- and we will be happy to give you some good techniques on how to improve -- or completely ignore anything bad anyone says. Unlike others, I do believe it is perfectly OK to post a mediocre, or even a bad fic that is meant to be read by a select group of people. However, you DO have to expect people to speak out on it. If you really aren't trying to improve? Ignore it.

However, please understand that you CAN become a better writer, if you listen to people's criticism. If you are one of those kids who dream about being really-for-real published, this is an excellent way to build up a thick skin for the absolutely SCATHING reviews that editors give.
Back to top Go down
The Scientist
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Adventures of kurt and Blaine. Author    Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:44 pm

grmblfjx wrote:
The Scientist wrote:
If I want people to criticise my work and help me become a better writer (...) If you can't stomach criticism

But those aren't the opposites I'm talking about. Some people are ambitious writers, they care about their work, they read literature and think I want to write like that. Other people just think up a story and manage to wrap it in words, and being able to get the point across is good enough for them; that doesn't make me say maybe they shouldn't be posting it.

How well someone takes to criticism is -apparently- not related to how ambitious they are. We've seen mature responses as well as screaming hissy fits from either group.

That's true. You're right. I just think that you should know whether you can take criticism, because if you can't, you're screwed either way.
Back to top Go down
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer

PostSubject: Re: Adventures of kurt and Blaine. Author    Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:26 pm

The Scientist wrote:
I just think that you should know whether you can take criticism,

At fourteen?

Learning to handle criticism is a life-long process, it's just that some people are lucky enough to start out ahead of others. This could well be the first time she encountered the anonymous internet meanies; we don't know how long she's been posting, after all. So her deleting her profile is part of the process.

I really don't get why you're being so patronizing about this. If this person was 24, or 34, it would be a different matter, but this is a kid. I thought she was rather composed for a barely-teen, especially compared to some of the raging we've had over the years. From people much older than her, no less.
Back to top Go down
rae
Contributor
Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Adventures of kurt and Blaine. Author    Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:01 pm

^What Grumbles said. Dude, the first time I got a piece ripped apart by an editor, I bawled my eyes out, but had just enough sense to keep it to myself and thank her for doing her job. I was over thirty. It takes some time to regain one's composure the first time a piece is made to bleed red ink, no matter what age you are. At this kid's age? I would have lost my shit. I'd say she's doing very well.

AmyB96? Good on you for deleting everything. Now rewrite it. Do it better. Repost it. It will still be crap, because everything is crap when people first start writing. Continuously tear it down, and make it better. Learn from what people tell you. Even if you are writing just for your own pleasure, with no intention of ever being published, there is joy to be found in expressing yourself well, and telling the story so that it is as interesting to other people as it is to you.
Back to top Go down
Owlish
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Adventures of kurt and Blaine. Author    Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:32 pm

Notanoni wrote:
Most people who are 14 write stuff much worse than this.

I beg to differ with this comment. Sure, there are 14-year-olds who write much worse than this, but there are also 14-year-olds who write much better. Unless this author has a genuine learning disability (which she very well may, given her comment) I don't think being 14 is a legitimate excuse for being unable to write a coherent, grammatically correct sentence. At that age, a native English speaker typically has been speaking for over a decade, and reading and writing for just under a decade. Typically they've also been in school and have been instructed in the intricacies of the language for at least seven years (or covering the same damn material year after year) and they still can't get it through their heads? I'm not asking for brilliance, mind--I'm not asking for complex sentences correctly utilizing SAT words--just correct punctuation. Is that really so fucking hard?

I agree with grmblfjx about learning to handle criticism as a life-long process, and this author did handle herself well in that respect, but it still doesn't excuse her shitty writing. And if this is an example of her writing that she willingly showed to the world, presumably something that she was proud of and took time preparing, imagine the suckitude when it's something she has to do rather than wants to? Again, I'm not asking for brilliance (I'm not commenting on plot, characterization, flow, etc. here) but put a dot at the end of your fucking sentence, so I know it's the end of a complete thought, instead of word vomit that you carelessly spewed across my screen for the hell of it. And if your only excuse for not doing so is "I don't feel like it/I'm too young to give a damn," then I will mock you for it.
Back to top Go down
Nihilist
Serial Troll
Serial Troll

PostSubject: Re: Adventures of kurt and Blaine. Author    Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:07 pm

^ Pretentious much?
Back to top Go down
Reepicheep-chan
Important Person
Important Person

PostSubject: Re: Adventures of kurt and Blaine. Author    Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:40 pm

Haha, I think being pretentious is our job now. Bleh, less life-coaching, more funny-making guiz!
Back to top Go down
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer

PostSubject: Re: Adventures of kurt and Blaine. Author    Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:41 pm

No, that's just you.

Hipster.
Back to top Go down
Howithurts
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Adventures of kurt and Blaine. Author    Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:23 pm

At 14, I was fully capable of accepting criticism. Just because today's society has taught kids that they should never be criticized does not mean they should not be.

Last edited by Howithurts on Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The Scientist
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Adventures of kurt and Blaine. Author    Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:18 am

I'm not being patronizing. I think that at age 14, your brain is developed enough to handle reality. This is something you learn when you're little: do something stupid and people will laugh at you. It's that simple. If someone can't grasp that, well tough. That's life. I'm not gonna feel sorry for this kid bawling because we made fun of her stupid story. She brought it on herself. She's gonna have to deal with it. Like everybody else.
Back to top Go down
4shadowedice4
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Adventures of kurt and Blaine. Author    Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:35 am

Frankly, Amy, as soon as you put your writing on the internet you're accepting any criticism given to you. You posted your story on the internet, you allowed the public to read it, it's up to you to handle any criticism (constructive or not) given to you.

You're 14, you're more than old enough to be able to handle criticism. I realize that yes, WGW isn't the most... tactful when it comes to new writer's but you're a teenager. You should be mentally and emotionally matured enough to handle things like this.

If you really want to improve your writing get a beta-reader and, if you decide to stay in the Harry Potter fandom, sign out the books from your local library or even read the wikia. Study canon, grasp it and give it another shot. 'Cause if you seriously think you can get away with not understanding canon in the least while writing a story you're incredibly wrong.

All in all, learn how to handle criticism, actually know the plot, rules, and characters of canon next time. Your story might not end up on WGW if you do.
Back to top Go down
The Scientist
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Adventures of kurt and Blaine. Author    Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:07 am

Life isn't tactful. Seriously, people aren't gonna drop dead because someone criticises them. It's not that bad. That's life for ya.
Back to top Go down
Reepicheep-chan
Important Person
Important Person

PostSubject: Re: Adventures of kurt and Blaine. Author    Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:39 am

The Scientist wrote:
I'm not gonna feel sorry for this kid bawling because we made fun of her stupid story. She brought it on herself. She's gonna have to deal with it. Like everybody else.
OK, you are confusing me here. First, I saw no bawling. What bawling? Second, she did deal with it. Taking her stuff down was her dealing with it. Maybe she decided internet publishing was not going to give her what she wanted, maybe she decided to put stuff up later when she could write better, whatever. You are assuming that she is being a baby about it when she is not really giving us any evidence that she is. That is patronizing.

If she is not sucking up and thanking everyone for being a dick to her that does not mean she cannot handle critism. If improving as a writer is just not something she cares about and instead just does for fun then taking her work down to avoid being given shit about it is a perfectly reasonable reaction. If she does want to improve as a writer taking her work down so she can get concrit and a beta from a pool of people who know her and actually give a shit about her instead of just getting non-constuctive bull from the internet is also a reasonable reaction.

Srsly, I love mocking stuff and I believe that is you put something on the net you are thowing out your right to never have anyone say anything bad about it, but you are acting like she stormed in here and accused us of theft and libel and ordered us to take it down and then blogged about how we were all meanies and recruited a private army from some other forum to all come in and hassle us. That is not what happened. You are also acting like people are telling you that you should never say anything mean to this girl because she is fourteen and you are hurting her feeling. This is also not what is happening. What is happening is that you are being called out for having an attitude like your shit never stank when you were in junior high, and you are being oddly devensive about it. We were all fanbrats once, sweetheart. There is no point is trying to hide it.

grumbles wrote:
No, that's just you.

Hipster.
Do you like my new avatar y/n?
Back to top Go down
The Scientist
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Adventures of kurt and Blaine. Author    Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:08 pm

tl;dr

I don't mean that girl in particular, but the discussion itself. Someone claimed that a 14 year old couldn't know how to handle criticism. I disagreed. How is that in any way confusing?

Whatever. Want to split hairs, be my guest. I think I stated my opinion clearly. I don't know that girl. I thought this discussion had turned general, because the girl who wrote the story only posted twice anyway, and read nothing we wrote afterwards.

Are you really gonna argue about something this ridiculous with someone you don't even know? Sweetheart? I mean, are you for real?

And...Defensive? Huh? Where did you get that?

Whatever, dude.
Back to top Go down
Adagio
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Adventures of kurt and Blaine. Author    Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:02 pm

Owlish wrote:
I beg to differ with this comment. Sure, there are 14-year-olds who write much worse than this, but there are also 14-year-olds who write much better. Unless this author has a genuine learning disability (which she very well may, given her comment) I don't think being 14 is a legitimate excuse for being unable to write a coherent, grammatically correct sentence.

Word. Fourteen is a perfectly acceptable age to at which to expect someone to be able to string a simple sentence together.

And the fact that there are people out there who are even worse is as much of a non-excuse as the "well I'd like to see you do better!" that we so love to mock around here.

e: I'm going to add to all the (very very sound) advice the people here are giving you, author, by saying: for God's sake, learn to capitalize properly. It's not like the rules of capitalization aren't easy to find on the internet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Adventures of kurt and Blaine. Author    

Back to top Go down

Adventures of kurt and Blaine. Author
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next