Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

"It was bothering me", says burglar who killed family's kitten.

Go down 
+21
Root Admin
Maximilia
theweirdkind
Dr. Professor Science
Bamshalam
Mafiosa
Psy-4
VB
Hot Cancer
Sorsa A. Jänis
Chaltab
Dixie
Somath Cegem
Saleha
Penguin
Chris91
EileenK98
Lexin
Lady Anne
szaleniec
Malganis
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Somath Cegem
Wonderfully English
Wonderfully English
Somath Cegem

"It was bothering me", says burglar who killed family's kitten. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: "It was bothering me", says burglar who killed family's kitten.   "It was bothering me", says burglar who killed family's kitten. - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 12:52 pm

Dr. Professor Science wrote:
Somath, what the fuck is your point? That people care about cats?
Now, now, no need to swear. My point is nobody would be making as big a deal out of this if it was just a regular burglary or if a human had been injured or killed instead than this kitten. Worse shite than this happens all the time between other humans but no, this is the high of evil and this man must burn in hell for it.

That and I got a lecture for even thinking that you guys might be over reacting a little and I get enough of those fucking things irl I don't need them off Lady Furry Avatar.
Back to top Go down
VB
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
VB

PostSubject: Re: "It was bothering me", says burglar who killed family's kitten.   "It was bothering me", says burglar who killed family's kitten. - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 1:07 pm

Somath Cegem wrote:
Somath, what the fuck is your point? That people care about cats?
Now, now, no need to swear. My point is nobody would be making as big a deal out of this if it was just a regular burglary or if a human had been injured or killed instead than this kitten.

I'm fairly certain that if he had taken the time to drown a person that was annoying him while he went about his burglar business, we'd be just as pissed.

Quote :
That and I got a lecture for even thinking that you guys might be over reacting a little and I get enough of those fucking things irl I don't need them off Lady Furry Avatar.

No, you're being treated like an adult who's being a condescending prick and throwing a tantrum.
Back to top Go down
Somath Cegem
Wonderfully English
Wonderfully English
Somath Cegem

PostSubject: Re: "It was bothering me", says burglar who killed family's kitten.   "It was bothering me", says burglar who killed family's kitten. - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 1:15 pm

VB wrote:

No, you're being treated like an adult who's being a condescending prick and throwing a tantrum.

Okay then, I'll bite, cause for some reason I love hearing the answers to these questions.
What part of this?
Somath Cegem wrote:
On the one hand this is a quite nasty and fairly
vindictive act of violence against a small creature that mostly
defenceless that, despite being blown up a little bit by the cat lovers
of the forum, is still pretty bad.
Was condescending and prickish?
Back to top Go down
Dr. Professor Science
Ghoti
Ghoti
Dr. Professor Science

Location : One of the guys with the giant papier-mâché dongs in Lysistrata

PostSubject: Re: "It was bothering me", says burglar who killed family's kitten.   "It was bothering me", says burglar who killed family's kitten. - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 1:30 pm

I like kitties :3
Back to top Go down
theweirdkind
Bastion of Sanity
Bastion of Sanity
theweirdkind

PostSubject: Re: "It was bothering me", says burglar who killed family's kitten.   "It was bothering me", says burglar who killed family's kitten. - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 1:45 pm

How could you resist this?

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Dr. Professor Science
Ghoti
Ghoti
Dr. Professor Science

PostSubject: Re: "It was bothering me", says burglar who killed family's kitten.   "It was bothering me", says burglar who killed family's kitten. - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 1:47 pm

Aw Jeez, that thing is so annoying.
Back to top Go down
theweirdkind
Bastion of Sanity
Bastion of Sanity
theweirdkind

PostSubject: Re: "It was bothering me", says burglar who killed family's kitten.   "It was bothering me", says burglar who killed family's kitten. - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 1:52 pm

You make kitty sad.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sorsa A. Jänis
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Sorsa A. Jänis

PostSubject: Re: "It was bothering me", says burglar who killed family's kitten.   "It was bothering me", says burglar who killed family's kitten. - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 2:06 pm

MOAR KITTIES!!1

Back to top Go down
http://sunbeamattack.deviantart.com/
Saleha
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Saleha

PostSubject: Re: "It was bothering me", says burglar who killed family's kitten.   "It was bothering me", says burglar who killed family's kitten. - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 2:34 pm

Sorsa A. Jänis wrote:
MOAR KITTIES!!1

OMG CHIIIIIIIIIII!!!!

Everything's better with Chii!
Back to top Go down
http://diva-urd.livejournal.com/
VB
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
VB

PostSubject: Re: "It was bothering me", says burglar who killed family's kitten.   "It was bothering me", says burglar who killed family's kitten. - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 3:22 pm

Somath Cegem wrote:
VB wrote:

Okay then, I'll bite, cause for some reason I love hearing the answers to these questions.
What part of this?
Somath Cegem wrote:
On the one hand this is a quite nasty and fairly
vindictive act of violence against a small creature that mostly
defenceless that, despite being blown up a little bit by the cat lovers
of the forum, is still pretty bad.
Was condescending and prickish?

It was your second post that came off that way. Which, now that you look at it, is fairly ironic. In an attempt to condescend to us on overreacting and blowing things out of proportion, you made a post in reply to Mal's rather calm explanation that essentially boiled down to, "OMG don't lecture meeee! I get enough of that from the mean kids at school!"

Sorsa A. Jänis wrote:
MOAR KITTIES!!1

Kay.
Spoiler:

I vote we have kittehcons instead of emoticons.
Back to top Go down
Somath Cegem
Wonderfully English
Wonderfully English
Somath Cegem

PostSubject: Re: "It was bothering me", says burglar who killed family's kitten.   "It was bothering me", says burglar who killed family's kitten. - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 3:35 pm

VB wrote:
It was your second post that came off that way. Which, now that you look at it, is fairly ironic. In an attempt to condescend to us on overreacting and blowing things out of proportion, you made a post in reply to Mal's rather calm explanation that essentially boiled down to, "OMG don't lecture me! I get enough of that from the mean kids at school!"

Actually it was my third post where I mentioned lectures. My second post was presenting counter points to Mals baseless conjecture on certain points like how the thief would apparently kill a person they found them in the act cause they killed the kitten.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Professor Science
Ghoti
Ghoti
Dr. Professor Science

PostSubject: Re: "It was bothering me", says burglar who killed family's kitten.   "It was bothering me", says burglar who killed family's kitten. - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 4:42 pm

Shut up and post more cats.

I totally didn't steal these from my post in the "you go aww you lose" thread.
Back to top Go down
Maximilia
My spoon is too big.
My spoon is too big.
Maximilia

PostSubject: Re: "It was bothering me", says burglar who killed family's kitten.   "It was bothering me", says burglar who killed family's kitten. - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 7:00 pm

I think one of the things that bothers us ("us" meaning loosely "people") so much when a small animal is hurt is because they are defenseless. Yes, a psychopath killing a grown man is horrible too, but it doesn't necessarily trigger our protective instincts. Babies and children do, as well as our small pets--because for the most part, they have no defenses against horrible things like this so, perhaps, people feel they shouldn't be exposed to the evils of the world like this. And thus, when it happens, the "OMFG what did he do?!" factor goes through the roof.

Or to say from wikipedia:

Quote :
Konrad Lorenz argued in 1949 that infantile features triggered nurturing responses in adults and that this was an evolutionary adaptation which helped ensure that adults cared for their children, ultimately securing the survival of the species. As evidence, Lorenz noted that humans react more positively to animals that resemble infants—with big eyes, big heads, shortened noses, etc.—than to animals that do not.

That is, humans prefer animals which exhibit pedomorphosis. Pedomorphosis is the retention of child-like characteristics—such as big heads or large eyes—into adulthood. Thus, pedomorphosis and cuteness may explain the popularity of Giant Pandas and Koalas. The widely perceived cuteness of domesticated animals, such as dogs and cats, may be due to the fact that humans selectively breed their pets for infant-like characteristics, including non-aggressive behavior and child-like appearance.

Some later scientific studies have provided further evidence for Lorenz's theory. For example, it has been shown that human adults react positively to infants who are stereotypically cute. Studies have also shown that responses to cuteness—and to facial attractiveness generally—seem to be similar across and within cultures.[1]

Additionally, the phenomenon is not restricted to humans. The young of many mammal and bird species share a similar set of typical physical proportions, beyond absolute body size, that distinguish them from adults of their own species. "Cute" features were also described in the recent finding of a baby Triceratops skull, suggesting that cuteness is an ancient and useful survival technique.[2]
Back to top Go down
Psy-4
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction

PostSubject: Re: "It was bothering me", says burglar who killed family's kitten.   "It was bothering me", says burglar who killed family's kitten. - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 7:53 pm

Please refrain from pretending to be everyone's mouthpiece in the future; if we ever feel the need to explain ourselves, we will.
Back to top Go down
Malganis
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Malganis

PostSubject: Re: "It was bothering me", says burglar who killed family's kitten.   "It was bothering me", says burglar who killed family's kitten. - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 8:48 pm

Somath Cegem wrote:
Actually it was my third post where I mentioned lectures. My second post was presenting counter points to Mals baseless conjecture on certain points like how the thief would apparently kill a person they found them in the act cause they killed the kitten.

Actually, your second post was more like:

Quote :
If he hadn't killed the kitten would that make this a partial violation of the families house and life?

Quote :
Wait a minute, didn't you say say that kittehs is people to their owners? So by that logic it couldn't be worse could it?

Quote :
Besides I doubt if it had happened like that it
would have gotten anywhere near as much attention because it happens
alot more frequently and no poor fluffy kitty died.

Which really doesn't have anything to do with what I said about him being a potential people-killer.

Now, on this, in your second post:

Quote :
Or he could have just bolted as quickly as he
could, thieves usually only lash out if their escape route is blocked
which is why cases such as this are rare.

I admit, what I posted was conjecture, and yeah, perhaps rather hysterical and overly-emotional. Cases like this strike an extremely raw nerve in me precisely because the very thought of home invasion and burglarly frightens me so deeply.

So I probably did overreact in what I said before, and you are right when you say that he might've just run away if the house's owner(s) had been at home (especially if they had been armed or had otherwise been frightening or threatening enough to him).

But, then again, the thing that strikes me about this case is that he didn't know these people from Adam. It wasn't an act of sadistic revenge against this family (as, I gather, the Cheyenne Cherry cat-killing incident was). It was just a random robbery of a random house. He also claimed to have killed the cat because he was "bothered" by it. Not angry, not enraged. Just bothered, at a helpless, harmless kitten, the pet of a family he didn't know and had no reason to hate, or harm.

The fact that there seems to be no reason, no rationale, not even a bad one, behind this crime besides the fact that this guy could temporarily do to this kitten whatever he wanted to is the really scary thing about it, to me. It's just so cold-blooded. I just can't help but wonder how he would possibly treat a child or young adult if he had caught them there, alone and unable to get away from him or possibly fight back.
Back to top Go down
Maximilia
My spoon is too big.
My spoon is too big.
Maximilia

PostSubject: Re: "It was bothering me", says burglar who killed family's kitten.   "It was bothering me", says burglar who killed family's kitten. - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 9:14 pm

Psy-4 wrote:
Please refrain from pretending to be everyone's mouthpiece in the future; if we ever feel the need to explain ourselves, we will.
*salutes*
Jawhol! I shall run all my posts by you to make certain they are ok!
Back to top Go down
Psy-4

PostSubject: Re: "It was bothering me", says burglar who killed family's kitten.   "It was bothering me", says burglar who killed family's kitten. - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 9:42 pm

Maximilia wrote:
*salutes*
Jawhol! I shall run all my posts by you to make certain they are ok!
No need. Just replace every instance of speaking for the collective('we','us', etc.) with an instance of speaking for yourself ('I', 'me', etc.). Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Professor Science
Ghoti
Ghoti
Dr. Professor Science

PostSubject: Re: "It was bothering me", says burglar who killed family's kitten.   "It was bothering me", says burglar who killed family's kitten. - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 9:53 pm

If it's a phenomenon common to many people, saying 'we' is perfectly alright. It doesn't mean she's automatically talking about you.

PS: I was attempting to derail this thread away from drama. HUG IT OUT, BITCHES.
Back to top Go down
Psy-4

PostSubject: Re: "It was bothering me", says burglar who killed family's kitten.   "It was bothering me", says burglar who killed family's kitten. - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 10:02 pm

If it's a phenomenon common to many people, saying 'we' is perfectly alright.
Nope. First, you have to provide proof that it is a phenomenon common to many people, then you have to use an appropriate correction to the 'people' (most, majority, etc.).

Also, I prefer that people own up to their opinions.
Back to top Go down
Maximilia
My spoon is too big.
My spoon is too big.
Maximilia

PostSubject: Re: "It was bothering me", says burglar who killed family's kitten.   "It was bothering me", says burglar who killed family's kitten. - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 10:11 pm

Psy-4 wrote:
If it's a phenomenon common to many people, saying 'we' is perfectly alright.
Nope. First, you have to provide proof that it is a phenomenon common to many people, then you have to use an appropriate correction to the 'people' (most, majority, etc.).

Also, I prefer that people own up to their opinions.
It is my opinion. It also happens to be backed up by psychological surveys: people tend to like things that are cute. Hence the quote from Wikipedia. Would you like me to dig up references to the actual studies?

ANYWAY, it doesn't matter, pronoun police. Razz
Back to top Go down
Psy-4

PostSubject: Re: "It was bothering me", says burglar who killed family's kitten.   "It was bothering me", says burglar who killed family's kitten. - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 10:16 pm

Maximilia wrote:
It is my opinion.
There we go.
Back to top Go down
Root Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Root Admin

PostSubject: Re: "It was bothering me", says burglar who killed family's kitten.   "It was bothering me", says burglar who killed family's kitten. - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 10:25 pm

Get back to writing Kingdom Hearts fanfiction. We are Borg, resistance is futile, etc etc etc
Back to top Go down
Verandering
The Gender Offender
The Gender Offender
Verandering

PostSubject: Re: "It was bothering me", says burglar who killed family's kitten.   "It was bothering me", says burglar who killed family's kitten. - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 23, 2009 12:19 am

Psy-4 wrote:
Maximilia wrote:
It is my opinion.
There we go.

Don't speak for everyone, man.
Hey look ma, I can selectively read too!
Back to top Go down
goldfish

PostSubject: Re: "It was bothering me", says burglar who killed family's kitten.   "It was bothering me", says burglar who killed family's kitten. - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 23, 2009 5:38 am

I was going to point out that burglars tend to be pretty certain no one's going to be in the house they're breaking into, but then I saw all the goddamn cat pictures and realized no one would give a shit. Go me!
Back to top Go down
KelinciHutan
Global Nomad
Global Nomad
KelinciHutan

PostSubject: Re: "It was bothering me", says burglar who killed family's kitten.   "It was bothering me", says burglar who killed family's kitten. - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 23, 2009 7:21 am

Psy-4 wrote:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "It was bothering me", says burglar who killed family's kitten.   "It was bothering me", says burglar who killed family's kitten. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

"It was bothering me", says burglar who killed family's kitten.
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next