Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Holy shit! This is actually a thing!

Go down 
+9
Lurv
tim gueguen
William Shakespeare
EileenK98
Somath Cegem
TheIan
Drabbler
teal deer
WD40
13 posters
AuthorMessage
WD40
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
WD40

Holy shit! This is actually a thing!  Empty
PostSubject: Holy shit! This is actually a thing!    Holy shit! This is actually a thing!  EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 8:12 am

I'm speechless!

Yeah, it's the loony tunes classics characters (plus Lola) cosplaying as as fucking X-men Evolution.

Thing is, my barely-hidden-beneath-the-surface-furry-self can't help but think that the actual character designs are really pretty cool... The only thing that ruins them is the fact that I know who the Road Runner is already. If these were original characters, I honestly don't think I'd have a problem...

I'm almost certain that this show never aired in the U.K. Did any of you guys ever see this? From what I understand the show itself wasn't that bad... It was just marred by the fact that it was trying to sell us as Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck as superheroes, and do it with a straight face.

Anyway.. I submit this show to the house.
Back to top Go down
teal deer

teal deer

PostSubject: Re: Holy shit! This is actually a thing!    Holy shit! This is actually a thing!  EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 8:36 am

I remember this show! iirc it was supposed to be descendants of the original Looney Tunes characters as superheroes.

it's an interesting concept I guess, but I feel like it takes the whole Looney Tunes universe way too seriously, which is never a good thing.
Back to top Go down
Drabbler
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Drabbler

PostSubject: Re: Holy shit! This is actually a thing!    Holy shit! This is actually a thing!  EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 9:07 am

teal deer wrote:
iirc it was supposed to be descendants of the original Looney Tunes characters as superheroes.
It was. The show was basically a "The Generation After the Generation Several Generations After Next" kind of thing. There was a whole big controversy when the show was first announced - and its infamy was pretty much assured before it ever aired - but that was more an issue of public idiocy. People looked at the picture, ignored the text, assumed that those characters were Bugs and Daffy and pals, and started wailing and gnashing their teeth accordingly. I remember it coming up on shows like The View, where there was, of course, nobody to point out their mistake. After that, the show was pretty much doomed to an eternity of "Worst Ever" lists regardless of its actual quality.
Back to top Go down
TheIan
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
TheIan

PostSubject: Re: Holy shit! This is actually a thing!    Holy shit! This is actually a thing!  EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 4:02 pm

Drabbler wrote:
teal deer wrote:
iirc it was supposed to be descendants of the original Looney Tunes characters as superheroes.
It was. The show was basically a "The Generation After the Generation Several Generations After Next" kind of thing. There was a whole big controversy when the show was first announced - and its infamy was pretty much assured before it ever aired - but that was more an issue of public idiocy. People looked at the picture, ignored the text, assumed that those characters were Bugs and Daffy and pals, and started wailing and gnashing their teeth accordingly. I remember it coming up on shows like The View, where there was, of course, nobody to point out their mistake. After that, the show was pretty much doomed to an eternity of "Worst Ever" lists regardless of its actual quality.
What Drab said.

I watched this show, one or twice, really kind of just glossing it over while waiting for Xiaolin Showdown (Another series on KidsWB in its waning years before it turned into CW4Kids...fucking hate you, 4Kids). For the most part, Loonatics Unleashed wasn't a bad show. I kind of saw what they were trying to do with it. The overall ignorant backlash the first concepts got seemed a little unjustified.

The series wasn't all that bad. It had an episode giving us a backstory for the characters, which was a cool thing trying to show us there was some attempt at character development. What I didn't like about it, as I recall, was the heavy-handed use of classic Looney Tunes slap-stick. It came off as SLAP-STICK JOKE SLAP-STICK JOKE EPISODE PLOT SLAP-STICK JOKE ACTION WOO SLAP-STICK JOKE END. Now, I'm drawing this from faded memories watching the show, so I could be wrong.

All in all, it was decent. It wasn't stellar. It borrowed too many elements from super hero shows and classic Looney Tunes shorts, and couldn't balance them completely. But it wasn't bad.
Back to top Go down
Somath Cegem
Wonderfully English
Wonderfully English
Somath Cegem

PostSubject: Re: Holy shit! This is actually a thing!    Holy shit! This is actually a thing!  EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 4:09 pm

WD40 wrote:
'm almost certain that this show never aired in the U.K.

Cartoon Network mate, had to be on, oh about 3-4 years back at least cause it's been a while since the parents chuck in having Sky, I think they ran it in place of teen titans when they got fed up of re running that.

It was literally Teen Titans but with Loony Toons as a basis for the characters, but odly enough not the villains as I recall, which is a shame, I would have fucking loved to see the Future-tech-gun wielding descendent of yosamity sam take on a teleporting daffy duck and a cross between Robin, Bugs Bunny and Cyclops.
Back to top Go down
EileenK98
Recovering Fanbrat
Recovering Fanbrat
EileenK98

PostSubject: Re: Holy shit! This is actually a thing!    Holy shit! This is actually a thing!  EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 8:27 pm

The second season had analogues of several classic Looney Tunes characters, among them Sam, Sylvester and Tweety, and Porky Pig.

Spoiler:

Overall it wasn't too bad. I prefer the first season to the second, where it seemed like they were trying too hard to please the folks who said it was too different. Oh, well.
Back to top Go down
William Shakespeare
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
William Shakespeare

PostSubject: Re: Holy shit! This is actually a thing!    Holy shit! This is actually a thing!  EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 11:36 am

I'll just leave This here.
Back to top Go down
tim gueguen
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Holy shit! This is actually a thing!    Holy shit! This is actually a thing!  EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 2:13 pm

If it had been called AniForce or something like that no one would have cared. I suspect no one would have watched it enough to generate a second season, either.
Back to top Go down
http://timgueguen.blogspot.com
Lurv
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Lurv

PostSubject: Re: Holy shit! This is actually a thing!    Holy shit! This is actually a thing!  EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 2:27 pm

I think I remember a topic about this way back, actually. And... I don't remember if I saw all of it, but what I can remember was alright.
Back to top Go down
EileenK98
Recovering Fanbrat
Recovering Fanbrat
EileenK98

PostSubject: Re: Holy shit! This is actually a thing!    Holy shit! This is actually a thing!  EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 6:42 pm

Lurv wrote:
I think I remember a topic about this way back, actually.

I know we bitched about it when the preliminary designs came out, and they were scary-looking. Then they softened them for the actual show, and it wasn't so bad.

At least it's better than the Looney Tunes Show, or whatever that pile of crap is on Cartoon Network. Talk about shitting on the legacy . . .
Back to top Go down
Exodia's Right Leg
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Exodia's Right Leg

PostSubject: Re: Holy shit! This is actually a thing!    Holy shit! This is actually a thing!  EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 5:34 am

Drabbler wrote:

People looked at the picture, ignored the text, assumed that those characters were Bugs and Daffy and pals, and started wailing and gnashing their teeth accordingly.
Or maybe it was because, when they were first unveiled, they looked like this:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
So extreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeme!
Back to top Go down
The Scientist
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
The Scientist

PostSubject: Re: Holy shit! This is actually a thing!    Holy shit! This is actually a thing!  EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 6:39 am

If you judge it only by the preview above, it's pretty horrible. I never really gave it a chance, it just looked too cringe-worthy.

I suppose that's not really fair, though.
Back to top Go down
Drabbler
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Drabbler

PostSubject: Re: Holy shit! This is actually a thing!    Holy shit! This is actually a thing!  EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 8:24 am

Exodia's Right Leg wrote:
Drabbler wrote:
People looked at the picture, ignored the text, assumed that those characters were Bugs and Daffy and pals, and started wailing and gnashing their teeth accordingly.
The look didn't help, but believe me, most of the complaints in the mainstream press were based off the mistaken assumption that these were the original Looney Tunes. The network news divisions wouldn't have cared at all without the "Look what they're doing to Bugs!" angle. Nor would they have responded differently if the designs had been closer to what we eventually got; these aren't people who recognize (or care about) gradations of "extreeeme"-ness.
Back to top Go down
Lurv
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Lurv

PostSubject: Re: Holy shit! This is actually a thing!    Holy shit! This is actually a thing!  EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 10:39 am

EileenK98 wrote:
Lurv wrote:
I think I remember a topic about this way back, actually.

I know we bitched about it when the preliminary designs came out, and they were scary-looking. Then they softened them for the actual show, and it wasn't so bad.
Ah yes, I had almost forgotten about those. Very unappealing. Once they got fixed there wasn't much of the show that really bothered me, but I'm sure it helped that I never had as much investment in Looney Tunes as many people do.

Then again, I wouldn't call it a must-see either.
Back to top Go down
WD40
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
WD40

PostSubject: Re: Holy shit! This is actually a thing!    Holy shit! This is actually a thing!  EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 2:20 pm

The show is gonna have to be seriously damn good if it's gonna shake of it's source material as far as I'm concerned.

Quote :
I remember this show! iirc it was supposed to be descendants of the original Looney Tunes characters as superheroes.

That makes it worse for me! I'd prefer it if they were in a completely different dimension, or an alternate timeline or, you know, completely fucking unrelated characters.

Having them as descendants just raises too many questions and problems. For starters, it puts them in the same universe as the Loony Tunes, as well as, presumably, Acme Looniversity and all the rest... Which means that the threats of death and destruction completely loose all sense of threat.

Secondly, it proposes that the loony tunes have ages, and a lifespan. That they're capable of reproduction, and, most importantly, that they're dead.

Back to top Go down
The Scientist
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
The Scientist

PostSubject: Re: Holy shit! This is actually a thing!    Holy shit! This is actually a thing!  EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 11:17 pm

Worse things have happened to humanity.

Cool
Back to top Go down
EileenK98
Recovering Fanbrat
Recovering Fanbrat
EileenK98

PostSubject: Re: Holy shit! This is actually a thing!    Holy shit! This is actually a thing!  EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 8:27 am

One thing I noticed was that they were the only furries in Acmetropolis, yet no one treated this as anything out of the ordinary. Go figure.
Back to top Go down
The Scientist
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
The Scientist

PostSubject: Re: Holy shit! This is actually a thing!    Holy shit! This is actually a thing!  EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 3:20 am

Maybe in the future people are just really, really tolerant? Cool
Back to top Go down
Exodia's Right Leg
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Exodia's Right Leg

PostSubject: Re: Holy shit! This is actually a thing!    Holy shit! This is actually a thing!  EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 6:06 am

Drabbler wrote:
Drabbler wrote:
The look didn't help, but believe me, most of the complaints in the mainstream press
The mainstream press is made of stupid geezers who never know a thing. If I had a penny for every time I saw misinformation about kids' shows in the mainstream press, I'd be a fucking millionaire. The ugly bunny in the middle was called "Buzz" and stated to be a descendant since day one.

The fans' reaction was something like this.
Back to top Go down
Sutremaine
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sutremaine

PostSubject: Re: Holy shit! This is actually a thing!    Holy shit! This is actually a thing!  EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 1:12 pm

WD40 wrote:

Secondly, it proposes that the loony tunes have ages, and a lifespan.
Like Maggie Simpson.
Back to top Go down
WD40
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
WD40

PostSubject: Re: Holy shit! This is actually a thing!    Holy shit! This is actually a thing!  EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 1:24 pm

Sutremaine wrote:
WD40 wrote:

Secondly, it proposes that the loony tunes have ages, and a lifespan.
Like Maggie Simpson.

Oh you know what I mean...
Back to top Go down
Sutremaine
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sutremaine

PostSubject: Re: Holy shit! This is actually a thing!    Holy shit! This is actually a thing!  EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 2:27 pm

I don't think I do...

I never thought much about the chronology of short cartoons when I was younger, but since there was romance (or humourous cross-dressing, at least) and children I just assumed that what I was seeing was what was going on at a particular point in time. That it was always the same point in time no matter how much time seemed to be passing never entered my mind.
Back to top Go down
Drabbler
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Drabbler

PostSubject: Re: Holy shit! This is actually a thing!    Holy shit! This is actually a thing!  EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 4:36 pm

Drabbler wrote:
The look didn't help, but believe me, most of the complaints in the mainstream press
The mainstream press is made of stupid geezers who never know a thing.
Well, duh, but that's beside the point. They're still much bigger and much more visible and much better remembered than the tiny backwaters in which we travel. So yes, their misinformed whines trump all the nerdrage in the world when it comes to whether or not something is controversial.
Back to top Go down
The Scientist
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
The Scientist

PostSubject: Re: Holy shit! This is actually a thing!    Holy shit! This is actually a thing!  EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 3:49 am

What are you talking about? Nothing trumps my nerd rage! Angry
Back to top Go down
Reepicheep-chan
Important Person
Important Person
Reepicheep-chan

PostSubject: Re: Holy shit! This is actually a thing!    Holy shit! This is actually a thing!  EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 10:08 am

Sutremaine wrote:
I don't think I do...
If Tiny Toons is canon then the Looneys explicitly do not age or have 'lifespans' in the normal sense. They are straight up immortal as long as they have fans. Bug is stated to be over 60, IIRC.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Holy shit! This is actually a thing!    Holy shit! This is actually a thing!  Empty

Back to top Go down

Holy shit! This is actually a thing!
Page 1 of 1