Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The History Channel

Go down 
+23
Reepicheep-chan
Sakurelf
TheIan
Chris91
Owlish
Freezer
Exodia's Right Leg
Dixie
grmblfjx
Penguin
Azzandra
Mikey Go WOOGA
Cyberwulf
Lexin
Lady Anne
Aggie
Quijotesca
Drabbler
Mr.Doobie
4shadowedice4
KJM
Rabid Badger
I_Lam_Edhellen
27 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
I_Lam_Edhellen
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
I_Lam_Edhellen

The History Channel Empty
PostSubject: The History Channel   The History Channel EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 9:45 pm

Good god, History Channel, what happened to you?

You used to produce interesting shows about the latest, coolest discoveries in archeology, and historical documentaries. You used to be in awe of what humanity is capable of. Now, you give all credit to the aliens.

First off, humanity is very intelligent. Look at what we have accomplished in the past 500 years. Why wouldn't we be capable of creating fantastic sculptures and buildings of enormous size 7000 years ago? It's not as though our current innovative nature and intelligence comes from nowhere.

Second, how did you get away with putting together such lousy lines of reasoning? Perfect circles with stones lined up with the solstices and equinoxes sounds like an ancient calendar. I'll buy that. But that if you squint, three of them kinda look like a right triangle, which means they somehow knew trigonometry is an insane leap. That they could possibly could have known trigonometry because aliens taught them, is even insaner.

Third, yes, aliens could exist. Don't blame all religion on them. We're plenty good at inventing it ourselves. Look at any of the insane cults. Why is it so hard to believe that our ancestors also just wanted to get laid?

Fourth, weird shit happens. You can't say that all of it is because of aliens. It's as logical as blaming it on gods.

Quit dressing up this crappy conspiracy theory bullshit as science.

The History Channel 927788

Thank you.
Back to top Go down
http://www.realelvish.net
Rabid Badger
And This is Why I Need Medication
Rabid Badger

PostSubject: Re: The History Channel   The History Channel EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 10:09 pm

It makes me long for the days my boys and I used to refer to it as 'The Hitler Channel' because all they ever ran was documentaries about WW II. But honestly, I'd sooner watch several hundred documentaries about Nazi's than the whole stupid 'aliens are responsible for everything marvelous ever discovered' crap. Give humanity a break, huh? I'm pretty sure the Egyptians built the pyramids all on their own, with no help from space men.

Also, it's a disturbing example of ethnocentrism; the belief that non-white cultures couldn't have conceivably possessed knowledge of complex mathematics or physics of astronomy. Obviously, they had to learn it from space aliens, because everyone knows only white people are smart enough to understand that kind of stuff.
Back to top Go down
KJM
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: The History Channel   The History Channel EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 10:45 pm

Didn't you know? All of history has been a war between aliens and time-traveling Nazis.
Back to top Go down
http://kennethmrrw502.blogspot.com/
4shadowedice4
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
4shadowedice4

PostSubject: Re: The History Channel   The History Channel EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 3:48 am

I think it's only the one show that does that but I haven't watched that channel since Rodeo became nothing but re-runs, so I might just be behind in the times.

I do agree with you though. A lot of the documentaries were actually interesting to watch whenever I actually had the time to watch them but now... you just stare blankly at the screen for a few seconds before going to another channel. (It's doesn't help that the narrators sound as boring as fuck, either...)
Back to top Go down
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Mr.Doobie

PostSubject: Re: The History Channel   The History Channel EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 6:58 am

That's weird, usually when I turn it on it's some bullshit about hell, not aliens.
Back to top Go down
Rabid Badger
Rabid Badger

PostSubject: Re: The History Channel   The History Channel EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 8:59 pm

Mr.Doobie wrote:
That's weird, usually when I turn it on it's some bullshit about hell, not aliens.

They also do a lot of shows about the 'paranormal." You probably stumbled across one of those before they started airing the next 'Space Aliens are responsible for life on Earth' documentary. From interesting, thoughtful coverage of important historical events from all over the world to aliens, ghosts, demons and hell. Lo, how the mighty have fallen.
Back to top Go down
Drabbler
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Drabbler

PostSubject: Re: The History Channel   The History Channel EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 9:33 pm

Mr.Doobie wrote:
I usually see stuff about pawnbrokers, lumberjacks, or truckers.
Back to top Go down
Quijotesca
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Quijotesca

PostSubject: Re: The History Channel   The History Channel EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 10:13 pm

KJM wrote:
Didn't you know? All of history has been a war between aliens and time-traveling Nazis.
Mr.Doobie wrote:
Drabbler wrote:
That's it. Someone combine all these things and write something awesome then try to sell it to the History channel. Excitedplz
Back to top Go down
Rabid Badger
Rabid Badger

PostSubject: Re: The History Channel   The History Channel EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 12:58 am

Drabbler wrote:
Mr.Doobie wrote:

Are you sure you're not on the Discovery Channel by mistake? Because their programming has gone downhill as well. The only Discovery shows I watch anymore are Mythbusters and Deadliest Catch. I actually MISS 'How it's Made,' and I'm still convinced the target audience for it was kids in grade school. But you actually learned something by watching it.
Back to top Go down
Drabbler
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Drabbler

PostSubject: Re: The History Channel   The History Channel EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 5:24 am

Rabid Badger wrote:
Drabbler wrote:
Are you sure you're not on the Discovery Channel by mistake?
No, Pawn Stars, Ax Men, and Ice Road Truckers are all History shows.
Back to top Go down
Rabid Badger
Rabid Badger

PostSubject: Re: The History Channel   The History Channel EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 8:41 pm

Drabbler wrote:
Rabid Badger wrote:
Drabbler wrote:
Are you sure you're not on the Discovery Channel by mistake?
No, Pawn Stars, Ax Men, and Ice Road Truckers are all History shows.

My mistake. I don't watch that much TV, and after a while, all the shows just kind've blur together. I was probably mistaking Ice Road Truckers for Swamp Loggers.
Back to top Go down
Aggie
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Aggie

PostSubject: Re: The History Channel   The History Channel EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 10:47 pm

I_Lam_Edhellen wrote:

They decided to quit living in the past and instead reach for the stars.
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: The History Channel   The History Channel EmptySun Jul 03, 2011 6:46 am

Aggie wrote:
I_Lam_Edhellen wrote:

They decided to quit living in the past and instead reach for the stars.
And hilarity ensued.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Lexin
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Lexin

PostSubject: Re: The History Channel   The History Channel EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 4:17 am

The UK's version of the History Channel is called Yesterday and they're still stuck on the Nazis.

I mean, the Nazis were evil. We get it. Move on.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mpmrommel.co.uk
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: The History Channel   The History Channel EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 5:37 pm

Rabid Badger wrote:
Drabbler wrote:
Mr.Doobie wrote:

Are you sure you're not on the Discovery Channel by mistake? Because their programming has gone downhill as well.
NO WAI, Fatal Attractions is brill. Last week: An ex-marine dies of infection after being bitten by one of his uncaged monitor lizards, who then eat him. This week: Pet chimps who clawed off their owners' faces. Next week: A woman is mauled and eaten by her malnourished tiger.
Back to top Go down
Rabid Badger
Rabid Badger

PostSubject: Re: The History Channel   The History Channel EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 11:45 pm

Lexin wrote:
The UK's version of the History Channel is called Yesterday and they're still stuck on the Nazis.

I mean, the Nazis were evil. We get it. Move on.

When the ex and I were still married, that was virtually all he ever watched (it's how my sons and I came to nickname it 'The Hitler Channel'). I always wondered how many times one could watch, say, the Battle of the Bulge or the storming of Normandy before you got tired of it. In the case of the ex, the answer was apparently 'Never.'

I will admit they did occasionally throw in a documentary about WW I and, around July 4th, you could generally count on an entire day of re-enactments of the great battles of the Revolutionary War. But beyond that, you'd have thought the last War the US fought in was Korea.
Back to top Go down
Rabid Badger
Rabid Badger

PostSubject: Re: The History Channel   The History Channel EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 11:50 pm

Cyberwulf wrote:

NO WAI, Fatal Attractions is brill. Last week: An ex-marine dies of infection after being bitten by one of his uncaged monitor lizards, who then eat him. This week: Pet chimps who clawed off their owners' faces. Next week: A woman is mauled and eaten by her malnourished tiger.

This reminds me disturbingly of when I was in the hospital for my gall bladder surgery and made the mistake of watching The Animal Channel's "Extreme Rescues' marathon. Had nightmares related to that for a good week.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: The History Channel   The History Channel EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 2:46 am

Rabby wrote:
It makes me long for the days my boys and I used to refer to it as 'The Hitler Channel' because all they ever ran was documentaries about WW II.

To be fair, they could probably run a week's worth of shows covering everything involved in WWII, not repeat themselves, and still not cover everything.

Rabby wrote:
Also, it's a disturbing example of ethnocentrism; the belief that non-white cultures couldn't have conceivably possessed knowledge of complex mathematics or physics of astronomy.

I have a question, when was the last time you disagreed with someone where you didn't accuse them of racism or "homophobia" right off the bat? Colbert
Back to top Go down
Azzandra
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Azzandra

PostSubject: Re: The History Channel   The History Channel EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 12:16 pm

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:

Rabby wrote:
Also, it's a disturbing example of ethnocentrism; the belief that non-white cultures couldn't have conceivably possessed knowledge of complex mathematics or physics of astronomy.

I have a question, when was the last time you disagreed with someone where you didn't accuse them of racism or "homophobia" right off the bat? Colbert
To be fair though, it reeks of ethnocentrism to me too.

Another interpretation is that these people genuinely think "nobody who ever lived before I was born could possibly have been as smart as me, because I know how to use an iPod and that automatically makes me awesome".
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: The History Channel   The History Channel EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 12:22 pm

Azzy wrote:
Another interpretation is that these people genuinely think "nobody who ever lived before I was born could possibly have been as smart as me, because I know how to use an iPod and that automatically makes me awesome".

That seems the more likely explanation. As we built most of our knowledge on what knowledge we inherited from past generations, and we only recently figured some of this shit out.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: The History Channel   The History Channel EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 1:13 pm

Rabid Badger wrote:
When the ex and I were still married, that was virtually all he ever watched (it's how my sons and I came to nickname it 'The Hitler Channel').

Believe you me, that's a common nickname.
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: The History Channel   The History Channel EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 1:41 pm

Rabid Badger wrote:
Cyberwulf wrote:

This reminds me disturbingly of when I was in the hospital for my gall bladder surgery and made the mistake of watching The Animal Channel's "Extreme Rescues' marathon. Had nightmares related to that for a good week.
The best one was the one about the little old lady who lived in a log cabin in Colorado and fed the bears from her fucking window. Because nothing bad could ever come of that.
Back to top Go down
Azzandra
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Azzandra

PostSubject: Re: The History Channel   The History Channel EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 4:40 pm

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Azzy wrote:

That seems the more likely explanation. As we built most of our knowledge on what knowledge we inherited from past generations, and we only recently figured some of this shit out.
Well, some of the older societies had figured out how to do things that our scientists are just now starting to puzzle out, or aren't even close to understanding. And they had arguably less information and resources at their disposal. A lot of things were lost from one generation to another. So I guess that makes us the dumbasses.
Back to top Go down
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

PostSubject: Re: The History Channel   The History Channel EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 5:12 pm

There was so much knowledge and development that was lost -it's called the DARK AGES for a reason- and had to be re-gained afterwards, I'm willing to believe they knew a lot of stuff that would surprise us.
Back to top Go down
Rabid Badger
Rabid Badger

PostSubject: Re: The History Channel   The History Channel EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 10:33 pm

Cyberwulf wrote:

The best one was the one about the little old lady who lived in a log cabin in Colorado and fed the bears from her fucking window. Because nothing bad could ever come of that.

I foresee a Darwin Award in this woman's future.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The History Channel   The History Channel Empty

Back to top Go down

The History Channel
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next