Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Early Christian writings...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
rae
Contributor
Contributor
rae

Early Christian writings... Empty
PostSubject: Early Christian writings...   Early Christian writings... EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 12:30 am

I need to track down scholarly books/articles/etc on the development of the concept of hell in early Christian writings, OR on Origen's view of hell, preferably contrasted with Tertullian or other early writers. By early, I mean pre-Nicea. Have any of you seen something that might fit the bill?
Back to top Go down
KelinciHutan
Global Nomad
Global Nomad
KelinciHutan

PostSubject: Re: Early Christian writings...   Early Christian writings... EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 7:56 pm

Are you wanting only extra-Biblical sources? There are Biblical references that cover hell, there just aren't a whole lot of them.
Back to top Go down
rae
Contributor
Contributor
rae

PostSubject: Re: Early Christian writings...   Early Christian writings... EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 11:20 pm

No, it need to be extra-biblical, since all I can do with that is my own interpretation, and the only part of the Bible we've been concerned with is the New Testament.
Back to top Go down
Sakurelf
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sakurelf

PostSubject: Re: Early Christian writings...   Early Christian writings... EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 12:02 am

?????

I don't know what's in it, I just remember a watching a documentary on it, and how it was fanfiction all written by one single autistic monk. By candlelight. His whole life.
Back to top Go down
rae
Contributor
Contributor
rae

PostSubject: Re: Early Christian writings...   Early Christian writings... EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 4:52 pm

I may end up looking into that later for funsies! It looks nifty! Sadly, it's from the 13th century, so I can't really use it, unless I end up someday taking a 'middle Christianity' class. If there's such a class. There should be, if there isn't!

Thanks for the link!
Back to top Go down
Sakurelf
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sakurelf

PostSubject: Re: Early Christian writings...   Early Christian writings... EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 5:10 pm

rae wrote:
I may end up looking into that later for funsies! It looks nifty! Sadly, it's from the 13th century, so I can't really use it, unless I end up someday taking a 'middle Christianity' class. If there's such a class. There should be, if there isn't!

Thanks for the link!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It's quite the work of art.
Back to top Go down
textrix

textrix

PostSubject: Re: Early Christian writings...   Early Christian writings... EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 8:25 pm

Have you read the Gospel of Nicodemus? I've read it in Latin but I think some parts originated in Greek. It's apocryphal and scholars aren't sure of an exact date, but I think it's early 2nd/3rd Century. It's pretty much all about hell (and it's corny and fun).

Also, how early does it have to be? Contemporary with Origen, or can it be a little later? If you're allowed to do stuff from the Latin West you could check out Jerome. He has some interesting things to say about hell, from what I've read.

Back to top Go down
textrix

textrix

PostSubject: Re: Early Christian writings...   Early Christian writings... EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 8:30 pm

Eep, sorry, just noticed it had to be before the Nicaean Council.

If you're looking for Origen's arguments, read On First Principles. He makes the case for universalism. So that would probably be the major difference between him and Tertullian.
Back to top Go down
rae
Contributor
Contributor
rae

PostSubject: Re: Early Christian writings...   Early Christian writings... EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 12:31 pm

I haven't read it, but it's definitely on my list now, if I can find it, even if it doesn't help with the paper. ^_^

On First Principles will DEFINITELY help for this paper. Now to see if I can find it for free online. :D Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Early Christian writings...   Early Christian writings... Empty

Back to top Go down

Early Christian writings...
Page 1 of 1