Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Harry Potter Antidotes.

Go down 
+24
mluckw
KelinciHutan
SlyChild
OzymandiasBowie
VampireNaomi
Thanos6
AulaCicero
Jocelyn
Jenny Islander
Aggie
La
The Unoriginal
Miss Prince
theweirdkind
InkWeaver
Zoe9
Somath Cegem
A_Note_Chaotic
Roo
Generic Thirteen
Lapin
Sparrow
Braigwen
Fairlight
28 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Fairlight
Keeper of the Gaffapedia
Keeper of the Gaffapedia
Fairlight

Harry Potter Antidotes. Empty
PostSubject: Harry Potter Antidotes.   Harry Potter Antidotes. EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 6:38 pm

A re-write of Deathly Hallows from someone who didn't like the way it worked out. Not amazing but pretty good and worth checking out if you want something long to read although the author does seem a bit full of himself (or herself but I think this one's male).

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Fairlight
Keeper of the Gaffapedia
Keeper of the Gaffapedia
Fairlight

PostSubject: Re: Harry Potter Antidotes.   Harry Potter Antidotes. EmptyMon Jun 29, 2009 3:16 pm

Couple of vids.

There's quite a few founders videos, some aren't very good but some are. This is probably the best one.

Dumbledore and Grindlewald. When you see the film they've used, it's rather clever.
Back to top Go down
Braigwen
Why yes, I am a Rocket Scientist!
Why yes, I am a Rocket Scientist!
Braigwen

PostSubject: Re: Harry Potter Antidotes.   Harry Potter Antidotes. EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Snape's Revenge a short funny fic by Oedipus Tex about how Severus Snape chose the name of his Potions book.
Back to top Go down
Sparrow
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Sparrow

PostSubject: Re: Harry Potter Antidotes.   Harry Potter Antidotes. EmptySat Jul 04, 2009 11:03 am

Pretty much anything written by Thanfiction

ETA because I just found this today: Mud, Blood & the Sound of Guns
Back to top Go down
http://sparrow779.livejournal.com/
Lapin
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Lapin

PostSubject: Re: Harry Potter Antidotes.   Harry Potter Antidotes. EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 6:14 pm

There was a Harry/Draco fic I really liked. In fact, it was the only one that ever convinced me and was genuinely funny and interesting. It was called "If You've A Ready Mind" and it was about Draco being sorted into Ravenclaw instead and how it changed him and his role in the books.

Only I've been looking for it and it says the author, Mistful removed it and wants it to never be posted/hosted/shared again. Anyone know what the drama was? (And where I can get a copy? Because that fic was awesome)
Back to top Go down
Generic Thirteen

Generic Thirteen

PostSubject: Re: Harry Potter Antidotes.   Harry Potter Antidotes. EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 11:01 pm

Lapin wrote:
There was a Harry/Draco fic I really liked. In fact, it was the only one that ever convinced me and was genuinely funny and interesting. It was called "If You've A Ready Mind" and it was about Draco being sorted into Ravenclaw instead and how it changed him and his role in the books.

Only I've been looking for it and it says the author, Mistful removed it and wants it to never be posted/hosted/shared again. Anyone know what the drama was? (And where I can get a copy? Because that fic was awesome)

She pulled it all because she was publishing a novel. I have no idea why that would require someone (*coughs*unless it's Cassandra Claire*coughs*) to remove their fan fiction but eh, at least she posted it for download on her LJ in a giant PDF. It's been ages, and I still haven't gotten around to reading any of it. It was here, but I was asked to take it down from my 4shared account. So if you wanted it, I dunno what to tell ya.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Generic Thirteen on Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Roo

Roo

PostSubject: Re: Harry Potter Antidotes.   Harry Potter Antidotes. EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 1:49 am

Tried to read Harry Potter at Seventeen, but the author's attitude was too much for me to handle (in my experience, any fic that claims to be better than canon is one you should run, not walk, away from), though the recommendation of Thanfiction's stories is heartily supported -- for those of you who don't already know, Thanfiction is the author who wrote Dumbledore's Army and the Year of Darkness, which is the fic about what was going on at Hogwarts while Harry was out on the Horcrux hunt. It's dark and often brutal and intense (and the sequels, taking place some years afterwards, are even darker), but really well-written. Fans of Neville Longbottom are doubly urged to read these stories.

I had a collection of fic recommendations back at the House, and it's always a possibility that someone didn't catch them, so... reposting some of them here. All of them are genfics, largely because I prefer genfics to ship-fics, though some of them have romantic pairings (usually canon pairings).

Harry Potter and the Nightmares of Futures Past by S'Tarkan is one of those "Harry travels backwards in time to relive his Hogwarts years, only with knowledge of what's going to happen, so that this time around he'll do a better job" stories that have grown so popular in the later years. Most of these fics are pretty awful, turning Harry into a hugely annoying, self-righteous and hypocritical Stu, but some of them do a really good job of presenting the concept -- and Nightmares of Futures Past is probably the best of them.

The story takes place in an AU where Harry doesn't manage to defeat Voldemort until the age of thirty, and by that time Hogwarts is in ruins and everyone is dead. Almost succumbing to depression, Harry finally hits upon a way to send his adult mind and memories back to the past, giving his eleven-year-old self all the knowledge of the years to come, so that he can change history and avoid the biggest disasters.

The rest of the fic sees Harry discovering that trying to change everything for the better isn't all that easy, and sometimes it seems like Fate insists on things happening the same way nio matter what he does while other times he changes too much and renders his foreknowledge useless because things go differently. Suffice to say, you can't have an eleven-year-old with the mind of a thirty-year-old running around knowing too much about everything and manipulating people and events without someone eventually getting suspicious... and it's amazing how certain people won't automatically take lip even from the Boy-Who-Lived. Smile

It's not a perfect fic, and it hasn't updated for months now, but S'Tarkan hits more targets than he misses, and just about every single chapter has at least one completely awesome moment. It also features the best-written Horace Slughorn I've seen in any fanfic.

Hogwarts Houses Divided by Inverarity is probably the best "Teddy Lupin goes to Hogwarts" story I've read, largely because it's so much more than just "Hogwarts, the Next Generation." It has its own story to tell, its own secret plots and its own problems and dangers -- because the wizarding world's problems didn't all die with Voldemort.

It's Teddy Lupin's first year at Hogwarts, and inter-House relations are worse than ever before -- Slytherin in particular is more loathed than even in Harry's day, and the competition between Houses is one step short of open war. The Sorting Hat is sick of it, and after the year's Sorting gives the following ultimatum: Either you people learn to get along, or I quit the entire Sorting business.

The following story becomes a struggle for everyone involved, as teachers and students try to better House relations, and the inevitable backlash makes everything worse. Since Inverarity has wisely decided not to just stick to Teddy Lupin's POV, we get thorough descriptions of life in all four Houses -- Hufflepuff and Slytherin especially. All the students --apart from Teddy -- and a few of the teachers are OCs, of course, but most of them are pretty good characters in their own right (and all the major canon characters get at least an appearance; Neville and Slughorn are the most prominant, but Harry, Ron and Draco Malfoy turn out to play important roles towards the end).

Inverarity has also written the two Alexandra Quick stories -- Alexandra Quick and the Thorn Circle and its sequel, Alexandra Quick and the Lands Below -- which are completely OC-dominated, given that they take place in the American wizarding world around the time of the epilogue of Deathly Hallows. Canon events are only mentioned briefly (most importantly Voldemort and, surprisingly, SPEW), although it gets obvious that Voldemort's short reign in Britain has had definite influences on other countries as well, which has huge consequences for this story.

Alexandra Quick is an American eleven-year-old Muggleborn (or so she thinks) who gets accepted into Charmbridge Academy in order to learn magic -- and just like Harry before her discovers that there's more to her past than just being born a witch, and more to her future than just learning magic. What makes Alexandra different from all the Mary Sue OCs out there is that she quickly discovers that she can't do anything she wants and get away with it; her headstrong stubbornness lands her into trouble more often than not (even earning her the nickname "Troublesome") and she falls flat on her ass more than once for thinking she can handle things when she's actually completely outclassed. And it's all written with such wit and charm that both Alexandra and her friends come across as likeable in all their folly and bad decicions.

Thankfully, Inverarity doesn't try to turn Charmbridge into Hogwarts, and the American wizarding world has enough of its own unique quirks to make it plausible as a different country and culture, but enough familiar things to place it in the same world. If you don't mind OCs, you can't do much better than these stories.

Back in the "canon characters" type fanfics; one of the most intriguing -- and creepiest -- HP fanfics I've read is The Very Secret Diary by Arabella. The entire fic happens during Chamber of Secrets and consists of Ginny's diary entries and Tom Riddle's answers. The fic is pretty old -- it was written even before Order of the Phoenix came out -- and there are some very minor inconsistencies with canon as a result... but the only really notable thing is that Ginny's full name is given as "Virginia" instead of "Ginevra." If you can swallow that, the fic is really excellent reading material, though also extremely disturbing in how Voldemort manipulates and uses the poor girl, and how she gradually realizes what's happening but finds herself powerless to stop it -- even if she does put up a fight.

If you want a really evil Voldemort, this is where to find him.

More lighthearted, but with the same narrative technique, is the Hermione, Queen of Witches series by the same author, where the premise is that Hermione too has a diary that answers back when she writes in it -- but Hermione's diary (Guenivere, nicknamed "Gwen") is not evil and doesn't try to take her over. So we get the canon events from Hermione's point of view (and Gwen's often quite amusing commentary) through year one, two, three and four, with the beginning of year five written before the author seems to have vanished off the face of the Earth. It's pretty fun to see the canon story from a different point of view, espesially when year four also includes the companion piece Ron's Rants -- where Ron gets to tell his side of the story.

Arabella captures the voices of Ginny, Ron and Hermione perfectly, and you have no problem believing that yeah, this could very well be how things were even in canon.

Finally, for this round at least, there's the utterly hilarious Harmless and Easily Domesticated by Angie Astravic. Taking place in a slight AU that's formed by the author's own stories (though you don't need to read any of them for this fic to make sense), the story has the Ministry of Magic deciding that Hagrid's Care of Magical Creatures class is too dangerous and forbidding him from teaching the kids about any creature that's classified higher than XX -- Harmless and easily domesticated.

Needless to say, things don't go completely smoothly, even if we do get to see a number of the various magical creatures that populate the HP world and the various problems you can have with them, even when they're not actively trying to kill you. Also includes a "You Might Be a Redneck Wizard If" test, and Snape's "substitution potion ingredients."
Back to top Go down
http://hyaroo.livejournal.com
Lapin
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Lapin

PostSubject: Re: Harry Potter Antidotes.   Harry Potter Antidotes. EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 9:02 am

Generic Thirteen wrote:
Lapin wrote:

She pulled it all because she was publishing a novel. I have no idea why that would require someone (*coughs*unless it's Cassandra Claire*coughs*) to remove their fan fiction but eh, at least she posted it for download on her LJ in a giant PDF. It's been ages, and I still haven't gotten around to reading any of it. You can get it and the table of contents here at my 4shared account. :whisper:

(If the link goes dead, send me a pm and I'll reupload it somewhere else.)

Aren't you just the most awesome? Harry Potter Antidotes. 777742
Back to top Go down
A_Note_Chaotic
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Harry Potter Antidotes.   Harry Potter Antidotes. EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 7:18 pm

I enjoy pretty much anything by Mirabella - her website is House of Hobbits, she's done a bunch of shorter stuff and then a long story that's currently unfinished called Shadow of His Wings, which I love.
Back to top Go down
Roo

Roo

PostSubject: Re: Harry Potter Antidotes.   Harry Potter Antidotes. EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 12:23 am

Link, please? Smile
Back to top Go down
http://hyaroo.livejournal.com
Fairlight
Keeper of the Gaffapedia
Keeper of the Gaffapedia
Fairlight

PostSubject: Re: Harry Potter Antidotes.   Harry Potter Antidotes. EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 3:55 pm

This is one of the first fics I ever read.
It was originally published on HPFanFiction but later removed and I thought it had vanished from the Internet altogether until recently when I did a Google search on the offchance it still existed and found it on another site.

It stars the four founders of Hogwarts and is the author's take on how they first met as teenagers and teamed up to defeat an evil witch (whose home was later turned into Azkaban prison). The founders are all turned into fleshed-out characters with differing back-stories, rather than the one-dimensional stereotypes they could have been and supported by several well-written OCs such as Rowena's little sister.

It was originally planned to be part one of of a trilogy and Hogwarts itself would appear in parts two and three.
The author never got around to completing part two and only part one is re-produced here but it works fine as a stand-alone fic.

Last edited by Fairlight on Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
A_Note_Chaotic
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Harry Potter Antidotes.   Harry Potter Antidotes. EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 4:08 pm

Roo wrote:
Link, please? Smile
Doh!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] < Main site.

Her LOTR stuff will probably always remain unfinished, just FYI. Her HP stuff she works on rather regularly, ditto with any anime-related stuff. SOHW has been giving her trouble, so it's on semi-permanent hiatus, but it's still worth a read to date. My favorites of her non-H/D stuff (I like Harry/Draco. It's ridiculous, I know.) are The Lubberkin Dancing, Missa, Perfectionism, Desparate Measures, and The Malfoy Guide to Productive Extortion.
Back to top Go down
Somath Cegem
Wonderfully English
Wonderfully English
Somath Cegem

PostSubject: Re: Harry Potter Antidotes.   Harry Potter Antidotes. EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 1:06 pm

Harry Potter THBP movie in 15 minutes
Back to top Go down
Zoe9

Zoe9

PostSubject: Re: Harry Potter Antidotes.   Harry Potter Antidotes. EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 10:47 pm

I really like the fic Secrets by Vorabiza. I love you It is scarily well done and is worth the read. You should check it out!
Quote :
Summary: Beginning with Draco's unexpected arrival at the Dursleys, Harry's summer after sixth year becomes filled with activity and many secrets. As his summer progresses, Harry generates several unexpected allies as he finds himself actively becoming the leader of the Light side. H/D post-HBP ~~Complete~~
Back to top Go down
InkWeaver
Harriet Tubman
Harriet Tubman
InkWeaver

PostSubject: Re: Harry Potter Antidotes.   Harry Potter Antidotes. EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 10:51 pm

...so am I the only creepy Snape/Hermione reader? I mean, if the Harry/Draco readers are crawling out of the woodwork...

don't judge meeeee
Back to top Go down
theweirdkind
Bastion of Sanity
Bastion of Sanity
theweirdkind

PostSubject: Re: Harry Potter Antidotes.   Harry Potter Antidotes. EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 10:57 pm

InkWeaver wrote:
...so am I the only creepy Snape/Hermione reader? I mean, if the Harry/Draco readers are crawling out of the woodwork...

don't judge meeeee
:wurmple:
Back to top Go down
A_Note_Chaotic
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Harry Potter Antidotes.   Harry Potter Antidotes. EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 2:06 pm

InkWeaver wrote:

don't judge meeeee

No.

I ship so many terrible pairings...
Back to top Go down
InkWeaver
Harriet Tubman
Harriet Tubman
InkWeaver

PostSubject: Re: Harry Potter Antidotes.   Harry Potter Antidotes. EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 2:10 pm

Well, in that case!

Here is a livejournal with lots of lists of good/semi-good SSHG fics in an ordered timeline. Like pre-OotP, post-HBP, then organized by Drabble, Short Story, Novella, Novel, Epic.

You might enjoy picking through that.
Back to top Go down
Miss Prince
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Miss Prince

PostSubject: Re: Harry Potter Antidotes.   Harry Potter Antidotes. EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 4:09 pm

InkWeaver wrote:

don't judge meeeee

I used to read boatloads of Harry/Snape, so I think I'm worse D:
Back to top Go down
The Unoriginal
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
The Unoriginal

PostSubject: Re: Harry Potter Antidotes.   Harry Potter Antidotes. EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 5:57 pm

Snape/Hermione is something that I could force myself to believe might happen (with a probability not much higher than the spontaneous formation of self-replicating organisms from inanimate matter), contrarily to HP/DM or HP/SS.
"In annulo" was a Seventh Year HG/SS fic, with some clever ideas for hunting and destroying Horcruxes, with enough smut to cover the entire Great Hall in bodily fluids à la Reunited. Very graphical.
Back to top Go down
InkWeaver
Harriet Tubman
Harriet Tubman
InkWeaver

PostSubject: Re: Harry Potter Antidotes.   Harry Potter Antidotes. EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 10:50 pm

See, now, I've never gone near In Annulo because it looks so fucking long, and that just puts me off, and I've never been one for ten thousand pounds of smut. Also... you did not make that sound appealing at all.

Is it actually good, or are you just being snide?
Back to top Go down
The Unoriginal
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
The Unoriginal

PostSubject: Re: Harry Potter Antidotes.   Harry Potter Antidotes. EmptySat Aug 08, 2009 3:01 am

Uhm, perhaps I should've made myself clearer. It was a good read, but I skipped the sex scenes after the first two. They're not badly written, there's just too fucking many of them. On the whole, recommended - and I'm not even a fan of the pairing.
Back to top Go down
InkWeaver
Harriet Tubman
Harriet Tubman
InkWeaver

PostSubject: Re: Harry Potter Antidotes.   Harry Potter Antidotes. EmptySat Aug 08, 2009 8:23 am

Ah, okay, thanks. I just wasn't sure if my sarcasm detector was broken or what =D. I'll have to give it a go.
Back to top Go down
La

La

PostSubject: Re: Harry Potter Antidotes.   Harry Potter Antidotes. EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 3:48 pm

I like Grangersnape a bunchizzle, yo-yo-doodz! It's strange, but I just accept the fact that I'm a goober-weirdo. (I mean, I want a pedo-bear plushie, so I guess this isn't too far off, amirite.)

Anyhoo, this is my favorite story in the Harry Potter fandom - Pet Project. It has some technical errors littered throughout the story (I've heard it's fixed up on Ashwinder, but I've never checked), but the reason I really enjoy reading - and rereading, and rereading, because I have this habit of reading the entire thing over every few months to be able to fully understand and enjoy each update - is because it's a story where I mix up my fanon and canon. Umm, I don't want to go on a fangirl rant, but I really enjoy it. :3
Back to top Go down
Aggie
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Aggie

PostSubject: Re: Harry Potter Antidotes.   Harry Potter Antidotes. EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 5:47 pm

I love Silver Phoenix's parodies of the first 4 books which can be found here.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Harry Potter Antidotes.   Harry Potter Antidotes. Empty

Back to top Go down

Harry Potter Antidotes.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next