Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Indigo children

Go down 
+36
Hawaiian Shirt
Reidmar
Kakashifan727
bleachedblackcat
Disco Stu
TheIan
SirDixonDongs
Grimley Fieendish
Alhazred
Sarin
XLT-100852.0
Exodia's Right Leg
Malganis
SlyChild
Seule
Jay/Cris
myeerah
TheHermit
gaijinguy
KJM
Rabid Badger
Reepicheep-chan
Psy-4
Mr.Doobie
Sheba
Verandering
grmblfjx
Tungsten Monk
Mikey Go WOOGA
Jesus.
Drabbler
Cyberwulf
Hot Cancer
VenusRain
Sutremaine
ZoZo
40 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

Indigo children Empty
PostSubject: Indigo children   Indigo children EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 8:08 am

Mr Doobie reminded me of an old thread we had in one of our many incarnations, which is necessary for revisiting.

So, first of all, what is an indigo child?

Quote :
The Indigo Children have been incarnating on the Earth for the last 100 years. The early Indigos were pioneers and wayshowers. After World War II, a significant number were born, and these are the Indigo adults of today. However, in the 1970s a major wave of Indigos was born, and so we have a whole generation of Indigos who are now in their late twenties and early thirties who are about to take their place as leaders in the world. Indigos continued to born up to about 2000, with increasing abilities and degrees of technological and creative sophistication.
Let's not worry about poison in vaccinations or government conspiracies stopping the birth of indigo children. It seems that these days they're crystal children, an indistinguishable breed of SUPER SPESHUL CHILDS.

Of course, indigo children are very SPESHUL indeed. Here follows a list of their characteristics.

Quote :
They come into the world with a feeling of royalty (and often act like it)

They have a feeling of "deserving to be here," and are surprised when others don't share that.
Self-worth is not a big issue. They often tell the parents "who they are."
They have difficulty with absolute authority (authority without explanation or choice).

They simply will not do certain things; for example, waiting in line is difficult for them.

They get frustrated with systems that are ritually oriented and don't require creative thought.

They often see better ways of doing things, both at home and in school, which makes them seem like "system busters" (nonconforming to any system).

They seem antisocial unless they are with their own kind. If there are no others of like consciousness around them, they often turn inward, feeling like no other human understands them. School is often extremely difficult for them socially.

They will not respond to "guilt" discipline ("Wait till your father gets home and finds out what you did").

They are not shy in letting you know what they need.
To translate: they are little brats with entitlement complexes.

Also, they have super speshul healing powers!
Quote :
Indigos have innate healing abilities that are usually already active; however, they may not know that they are using them! The most spectacular thing I observed was how they formed groups, adjusting and spacing themselves, especially around another child who might have been sick or upset — sitting and blending their energy field with that child's. Most often, they paired up one on one, but sometimes they formed groups and sat in either a triangular or diamond-shaped pattern. It wasn't done in an obvious way, but very subtly. When finished, they were off to something else.
With healing power like that, I'm surprised cancerAIDS still exists.

Anyway, the whole thing sounds frankly quite worrying. If you click around the various sites, you will find tons of parenting advice on how to make your already-bratty kid even brattier. I've yet to find any research about how they fare in life, but it doesn't seem that healthy to me.

Fuck it. I've yet to see any evidence that the indigos actually exist. Of course, like any good cranks, indigochild.com has this warning:
Quote :
Wikipedia is not a fair representation of the Indigo Children subject, and has volunteers who are biased and will not even allow for gentle editing from the author, to create factual informational updates. Based on our experience we feel it should therefore not be used as a source for anything meaningful. There are too many biased hands in the pot of editing, and the information is therefore suspect.

Last edited by ZoZo on Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:09 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : It's a really good idea to close tags.)
Back to top Go down
Sutremaine
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sutremaine

Indigo children Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indigo children   Indigo children EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 8:21 am

ZoZo wrote:
Or maybe they have autism and parents who don't want to accept that diagnosis (see the vaccination debacle), so they spin their child's condition into something positive for them instead of teaching the child how to cope with wider society. While it's a good thing per se that autistic children aren't crammed into current society, turning them all into Chris-chan is not the right way to do it.

But yeah, I bet a good portion of the current crop of indigo children are the offspring of bandwagon-jumpers who give their children entitlement complexes the size of Jupiter. 'Indigo Child' is just another fashionable label for them.
Back to top Go down
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

Indigo children Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indigo children   Indigo children EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 8:59 am

Sutremaine wrote:
ZoZo wrote:
Or maybe they have autism and parents who don't want to accept that diagnosis (see the vaccination debacle), so they spin their child's condition into something positive for them instead of teaching the child how to cope with wider society. While it's a good thing per se that autistic children aren't crammed into current society, turning them all into Chris-chan is not the right way to do it.

But yeah, I bet a good portion of the current crop of indigo children are the offspring of bandwagon-jumpers who give their children entitlement complexes the size of Jupiter. 'Indigo Child' is just another fashionable label for them.
I just don't understand the obsession with labelling children. I used to work in the special needs unit of a mainstream school. Of the kids with the label "autistic", only about half had had a diagnosis from a professional. The rest were, for the most part, normally functioning kids who just happened to be a bit odd. Then there were the kids with ADHD. I'd say about 30 kids in that school were on Ritalin. Only three actually required it.

It worries me. Why can't parents just say "my kid is a bit weird"? Or "my kid is a bit loud sometimes"? Or even "my kid acts like a right little shit sometimes". It's your kid. You love it, it doesn't make it perfect, and I'm sure most parents know this, yet still insist on using labels to justify behaviour.
Back to top Go down
VenusRain

VenusRain

Indigo children Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indigo children   Indigo children EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 9:14 am

...Wait, people are putting kids on stimulants as a first resort? Goddammit, humanity. *shuts up before going on a rant about stuff nobody cares about*

Anyway... This mostly sounds like an excuse to be a crappy parent. "Oh, my kid throws tantrums when I tell him/her to do things, s/he must be a Special Snowflake and I should let this behavior continue!" Because, you know, it couldn't possibly be that your kids a brat (or not neurotypical, but that's much rarer than spoiled brat).
Back to top Go down
Hot Cancer
Playwright
Playwright
Hot Cancer

Indigo children Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indigo children   Indigo children EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 10:19 am

I'm guessing there may be a higher propensity among "Indigo Children" to not go to college or get a job, but the ones that do probably get hit with such a slap of the reality shovel when they have to leave their coddled existence, where they're Sueified by their parents, at home
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

Indigo children Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indigo children   Indigo children EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 12:57 pm

"Indigo Children" sounds like something made up by a former spoiled brat who experienced a hard slap with the reality shovel once s/he moved out/got a job and realised hir nonsense wasn't tolerated in the grown-up world.
Back to top Go down
Drabbler
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Drabbler

Indigo children Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indigo children   Indigo children EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 1:00 pm

Slightly off-topic, but who else saw the header and thought this was going to relate to Indigo Girls fandom?
Back to top Go down
Jesus.
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Jesus.

Indigo children Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indigo children   Indigo children EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 1:11 pm

I was put on ritalin as a kid. Dad claimed that he never believed I needed it, but I was on it anyway, plus extended test times and whatnot. Don't remember much of my childhood, but I can tell you my life wasn't much better or worse when I came off it. Still odd, still hyper, still have a crappy attention sp
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

Indigo children Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indigo children   Indigo children EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 1:35 pm

ZoZo wrote:
Sutremaine wrote:
ZoZo wrote:

I just don't understand the obsession with labelling children. I used to work in the special needs unit of a mainstream school. Of the kids with the label "autistic", only about half had had a diagnosis from a professional. The rest were, for the most part, normally functioning kids who just happened to be a bit odd. Then there were the kids with ADHD. I'd say about 30 kids in that school were on Ritalin. Only three actually required it.

It worries me. Why can't parents just say "my kid is a bit weird"? Or "my kid is a bit loud sometimes"? Or even "my kid acts like a right little shit sometimes". It's your kid. You love it, it doesn't make it perfect, and I'm sure most parents know this, yet still insist on using labels to justify behaviour.

This is because whenever Little Timmy Sonvabitch acts like a seven year old, morons go "DRUG THE TURD." Even though he's, you know, seven years old. Heaven forbid teachers and parents have to actually properly discipline the kid.

I'm all for medicine and pills solving problems and whatnot. But they have to be problems that pills and medicine actually solve.
Back to top Go down
Tungsten Monk
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Tungsten Monk

Indigo children Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indigo children   Indigo children EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 2:28 pm

Quote :
After World War II, a significant number were born, and these are the
Indigo adults of today. However, in the 1970s a major wave of Indigos
was born, and so we have a whole generation of Indigos who are now in
their late twenties and early thirties who are about to take their place
as leaders in the world.
Indigos continued to born up to about 2000,
with increasing abilities and degrees of technological and creative
sophistication.

Re-quoted for emphasis. You know what this means--the definitive "Indigo Children" were baby boomers. No prizes for guessing that they were probably hippies. Unfortunately, hippies embraced the "youth culture," and you can't be part of that if you're hitting Social Security age. So along come the children of the free-spirited '70s to symbolically take up the gauntlet--not hippies, but almost as wacked-out, so close enough. I'd bet good money that this whole mess is just another leftover product of the Age of Aquarius.

Why aren't there any more Indigos being born today? Probably because the kids of today aren't getting off the hippies' lawns. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

Indigo children Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indigo children   Indigo children EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 4:26 pm

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:

This is because whenever Little Timmy Sonvabitch acts like a seven year old, morons go "DRUG THE TURD." Even though he's, you know, seven years old. Heaven forbid teachers and parents have to actually properly discipline the kid.

I'm all for medicine and pills solving problems and whatnot. But they have to be problems that pills and medicine actually solve.
Bloody hell, I missed the memo that it was the annual Mikey Has A Very Good Point Day today! Spot on, my love, spot on.
Back to top Go down
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

Indigo children Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indigo children   Indigo children EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 4:42 pm

ZoZo wrote:
Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:

Bloody hell, I missed the memo that it was the annual Mikey Has A Very Good Point Day today! Spot on, my love, spot on.

God, yes. "My kid is hyper. No, it doesn't need less TV and Pixie Sticks, it needs meds. Otherwise I might actually have to talk to it and stuff."
Back to top Go down
Verandering
The Gender Offender
The Gender Offender
Verandering

Indigo children Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indigo children   Indigo children EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 5:44 pm

My mother procclaimed I was an "Indigo Child" and tried raised me as an entitled brat (except when I dared not agree with and obey her).

All it did was make school life incredibly tough, and nurture some truly terrible social skills that it's taken years to work myself out of. I had something of an epiphany in middle school, thank god, about what a dickbag I was. Adjusted, but without guidance or support.
Back to top Go down
Sheba
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sheba

Indigo children Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indigo children   Indigo children EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 11:21 pm

I kind of wonder how many of these 'indigos' would benefit from a good spanking.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

Indigo children Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indigo children   Indigo children EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 12:47 am

Sheba wrote:
I kind of wonder how many of these 'indigos' would benefit from a good spanking.

Thank you so much for this. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

Indigo children Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indigo children   Indigo children EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 2:50 am

Verandering wrote:
My mother procclaimed I was an "Indigo Child" and tried raised me as an entitled brat (except when I dared not agree with and obey her).

All it did was make school life incredibly tough, and nurture some truly terrible social skills that it's taken years to work myself out of. I had something of an epiphany in middle school, thank god, about what a dickbag I was. Adjusted, but without guidance or support.
No way!

Well, you turned out all right, mate. Better than all right, you're cool. Tell us more about your experience of being super speshul. Could you read minds? Fly? Heal?
Back to top Go down
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Mr.Doobie

Indigo children Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indigo children   Indigo children EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 5:39 pm

ZoZo wrote:
Mr Doobie reminded me of an old thread we had in one of our many incarnations, which is necessary for revisiting.

D'awwwwww[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] This makes me feel important.

Quote :
They come into the world with a feeling of royalty (and often act like it)

They have a feeling of "deserving to be here," and are surprised when others don't share that.
Self-worth is not a big issue. They often tell the parents "who they are."
They have difficulty with absolute authority (authority without explanation or choice).

They simply will not do certain things; for example, waiting in line is difficult for them.

They get frustrated with systems that are ritually oriented and don't require creative thought.

They often see better ways of doing things, both at home and in school, which makes them seem like "system busters" (nonconforming to any system).

They seem antisocial unless they are with their own kind. If there are no others of like consciousness around them, they often turn inward, feeling like no other human understands them. School is often extremely difficult for them socially.

They will not respond to "guilt" discipline ("Wait till your father gets home and finds out what you did").

They are not shy in letting you know what they need.

This sounds like every normal young child in existence.

Except, I guess, Indigo Children have parents that encourage their immature behavior.

Edit: As I said before, we had a thread dedicated to one of these Indigo Children back on GAFF. She was about 16-18 years old and had her own website where she said things like "MEDICINE is for people who BELIEVE in PLACEBO".

I remember talking to her via email, and she was just as arrogant and clueless as you'd think these kids would be upon becoming teenagers. Her arguments didn't go well with me. She really didn't like when I schooled her on medicine and race relations.
Back to top Go down
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

Indigo children Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indigo children   Indigo children EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 5:52 pm

Ohmygod I remember her! Any internet archaeologists remember her site's name?
Back to top Go down
Psy-4
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction

Indigo children Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indigo children   Indigo children EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 6:13 pm

The site is no longer there.
Back to top Go down
Psy-4

Indigo children Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indigo children   Indigo children EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 6:45 pm

Nihilist wrote:
Is it accessible through the Wayback Machine? Or have you tried that already.
Dunno. All I remember is that I saved the website's title image(which had the url). Then I used it to make a fake troll post on /b/ pretending to be her, then I forgot about it. Later, I remembered it and checked the website to find it gone. So I deleted the image, not having any further use for it.

Wait... oops.
Back to top Go down
Sutremaine
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sutremaine

Indigo children Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indigo children   Indigo children EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 6:59 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The 'opinions' page with the PLACEBO quote is coming up blank for me, but there are other pages available.

Quote :
If you don't want to read about each and every one of my personalities (I don't blame you), you can go here for a summary: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] But just to let you know, that's not short either. Nothing about me can be described in a short paragraph or two. I'm too unique and different. I'm the most different person you will probably ever meet (even if it is only online).

On with the show: I call my personalities "brains" as a nickname because "brains" is shorter and sounds less crazy. '_' Or maybe not. I don't have schizophrenia or dissociative disorder. I just say that I have different personalities because I act like completely different people sometimes. So they're more like moods than personalities, but I like to just call them brains.
Aren't you glad?

Oh wait, it isn't blank, it's just white-on-white for some reason even though the text is apparently blue.

Quote :
CHANGE is for people who DON'T KNOW WHO THEY ARE.
ETHNIC PRIDE is for people who are RACIST.
HOT PLACES are for people who LIKE HOT WEATHER.

MARRIAGE is for people who need to spend money in order to make a COMMITMENT.
MEDICINE is for people who believe in PLACEBO.
NATIONAL TRADITIONS are for people who only want to celebrate on HOLIDAYS.
NATIONALISM is for people who are BIASED.
RELIGION is for people who can't face REALITY.

Last edited by Sutremaine on Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : LIGHT BULB MOMENT)
Back to top Go down
Psy-4

Indigo children Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indigo children   Indigo children EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 7:14 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] gogogo
Back to top Go down
Reepicheep-chan
Important Person
Important Person
Reepicheep-chan

Indigo children Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indigo children   Indigo children EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 7:16 pm

Quote :
HOT PLACES are for people who LIKE HOT WEATHER.

LOL I REMEMBER THAT.
Back to top Go down
Sutremaine
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sutremaine

Indigo children Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indigo children   Indigo children EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 7:22 pm

What was her thinking on that one? Are the failings of people who like hot weather so obvious in her mind that merely pointing out their existence is enough for people to start nodding knowingly and smiling in memory of all the heat-lover jokes they've heard?
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

Indigo children Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indigo children   Indigo children EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 8:26 pm

The Best Moment Ever was the when someone responded to "MEDICINE is for people who BELIEVE in PLACEBO" with "REAL MEN cure wound by HITTING them with ROCKS!"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Indigo children Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indigo children   Indigo children Empty

Back to top Go down

Indigo children
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Why God, Why? :: The Sporking Table :: GodAwful Bullshit-
Jump to: