Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

When the radio station and it's song selections don't mix

Go down 
+6
Drabbler
Mr.Doobie
Penguin
Just Chipper
EileenK98
Bad Luck Charm
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Bad Luck Charm
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Bad Luck Charm

When the radio station and it's song selections don't mix Empty
PostSubject: When the radio station and it's song selections don't mix   When the radio station and it's song selections don't mix EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 10:20 pm

As the title says, have you ever found yourself listening to the radio station, and you hear a song that you wouldn't usually hear on it? Like say that the station you're listening to plays classic rock mostly, and something totally left-field would be a song by Duran Duran, or Soft Cell.

Well the other day, I had my radio on JACK FM, and the next song they played was "I Kissed A Girl" by Katy Perry.

When the radio station and it's song selections don't mix 203843

Yeah, that was right outta left-field considering that JACK FM plays mostly rock and New Wave from the 70's, 80's, 90's and some stuff from 2000 onward. What next? "Poker Face" by Lady GaGa?
Back to top Go down
EileenK98
Recovering Fanbrat
Recovering Fanbrat
EileenK98

PostSubject: Re: When the radio station and it's song selections don't mix   When the radio station and it's song selections don't mix EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 9:50 pm

When did the definition of "oldies" begin to include songs from the 80's?
The oldies station used to play doo wop and protest rock; now it plays New Wave and hair metal. Wha? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Seriously. Any song that I listened to after puberty is NOT an oldie! It may be a classic (that would depend on your definition of classic), but it isn't an oldie.
Back to top Go down
Bad Luck Charm
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Bad Luck Charm

PostSubject: Re: When the radio station and it's song selections don't mix   When the radio station and it's song selections don't mix EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 12:52 am

Ugh. It's still to early for 80s music to be considered oldies. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Just Chipper
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Just Chipper

PostSubject: Re: When the radio station and it's song selections don't mix   When the radio station and it's song selections don't mix EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 4:33 am

I remember a Classic Rock station I used to listen to playing Metallica's Sad But True. \o_O/
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: When the radio station and it's song selections don't mix   When the radio station and it's song selections don't mix EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 4:54 am

"Old" is always at least 15 years older than I am.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Mr.Doobie

PostSubject: Re: When the radio station and it's song selections don't mix   When the radio station and it's song selections don't mix EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 6:17 am

Bad Luck Charm wrote:
Ugh. It's still to early for 80s music to be considered oldies. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Most of the 80's music they play was made before I was born or when I was too young to remember it. Hence, it is old.

Hence, you're old for growing up during the time period when it was new.

I'm still a sprightly young buck. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
EileenK98
Recovering Fanbrat
Recovering Fanbrat
EileenK98

PostSubject: Re: When the radio station and it's song selections don't mix   When the radio station and it's song selections don't mix EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 6:45 am

Mr.Doobie wrote:
Bad Luck Charm wrote:

Most of the 80's music they play was made before I was born or when I was too young to remember it. Hence, it is old.

I'm still a sprightly young buck. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Shut up or I'll whack you with my cane!
Back to top Go down
Drabbler
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Drabbler

PostSubject: Re: When the radio station and it's song selections don't mix   When the radio station and it's song selections don't mix EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 7:45 am

EileenK98 wrote:
The first I'd heard about this was when I replied to a phone survey about radio formats. Oldies stations played 80s songs, and the older stuff had been reclassified as Classic Rock. My immediate response was pretty much the same question. Now for the depressing part: This was about ten years ago (give or take a year). So not only is it old news that 80s songs are oldies, but we're now at the point when 90s songs will be joining them.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Mr.Doobie

PostSubject: Re: When the radio station and it's song selections don't mix   When the radio station and it's song selections don't mix EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 7:57 am

Drabbler wrote:
EileenK98 wrote:
The first I'd heard about this was when I replied to a phone survey about radio formats. Oldies stations played 80s songs, and the older stuff had been reclassified as Classic Rock. My immediate response was pretty much the same question. Now for the depressing part: This was about ten years ago (give or take a year). So not only is it old news that 80s songs are oldies, but we're now at the point when 90s songs will be joining them.

My local radio stations' "Retro Cafe" plays (almost) exclusively 90's music.
Back to top Go down
Mary Sue
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Mary Sue

PostSubject: Re: When the radio station and it's song selections don't mix   When the radio station and it's song selections don't mix EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 9:17 am

Well, if sonhs from the '70s could be considered "oldies" in the '90s (as I remember they were) it only makes sense that songs from the '80s could be considered oldies in the 2000s.
Back to top Go down
Bad Luck Charm
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Bad Luck Charm

PostSubject: Re: When the radio station and it's song selections don't mix   When the radio station and it's song selections don't mix EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 10:50 pm

Mr.Doobie wrote:
Bad Luck Charm wrote:

Then do me a favor and get me a cup of tea would you sonny? The ol' bones don't work as well as they used to.
Back to top Go down
Verandering
The Gender Offender
The Gender Offender
Verandering

PostSubject: Re: When the radio station and it's song selections don't mix   When the radio station and it's song selections don't mix EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 12:37 am

Fuck staying within the lines.
Back to top Go down
myeerah
Contributor
Contributor
myeerah

PostSubject: Re: When the radio station and it's song selections don't mix   When the radio station and it's song selections don't mix EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 10:15 am

A "classic" song is twenty years old. Brace yourselves, buckos, because the '90s are about to become classic.
Back to top Go down
Lapin
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Lapin

PostSubject: Re: When the radio station and it's song selections don't mix   When the radio station and it's song selections don't mix EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 3:03 pm

Considering I was born in '89, and I'm 21, then yeah, most songs from the 80s are considered old to me.

Hell, Kurt Cobain died when I was 5.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: When the radio station and it's song selections don't mix   When the radio station and it's song selections don't mix EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 5:58 pm

You know, I used to listen to an alternative rock station called The End back in Washington. But they had so much genre dilution going on that by the time I left, they were playing pretty much stereotypical stoner music most of the time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When the radio station and it's song selections don't mix   When the radio station and it's song selections don't mix Empty

Back to top Go down

When the radio station and it's song selections don't mix
Page 1 of 1