Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Good radio shows & podcasts

Go down 
+4
Mafiosa
Spotts1701
Drabbler
Avari
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Avari

Avari

Good radio shows & podcasts Empty
PostSubject: Good radio shows & podcasts   Good radio shows & podcasts EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 8:54 am

I thought it would be neat to create a thread that compiles some good radioshows/podcasts, and that you can find on the internet.

What's on my Itunes:

- Big Ideas (website): also on TVO, it's dedicated to broadcasting lectures, "devoted to the art of lecture and the importance of ideas in modern life". I really like the diversity of the people invited and of the subjects.
BIG IDEAS offers a variety of thought-provoking topics which range across politics, culture, economics, art history, science.... The program has introduced Ontario viewers to the impressive brainpower of people like Niall Ferguson on American empire, Daniel Libeskind on architecture, Robert Fisk on the Middle East, George Steiner on the demise of literacy, Camille Paglia on aesthetic education, Tariq Ramadan on being a Western Muslim, Noam Chomsky on U.S. politics, Leon Kass on dying, Janice Stein on accountability and governance.

- More or Less : a great BBC radioshow (website) that explores the truth behind the statistics used in the media (and often exploited for political gain).
For example, this week, they analyzed an alarmist video on YouTube about the rapid "Islamification" of Europe, to see if there was any truth in the numbers used in that video.

- The Friday Night Comedy (website) from BBC Radio 4: Enjoy a satirical take on the week's news with the cream of UK comedy talent. What can I say? I find them funny and love their British accents.

- for those who understand French and love 20th century history, Rendez-vous avec X (website) is one my favs. Clear and well-documented, the show explores the facts behind official history, and casts an often unflattering light on events and actors. Their conversations on Bolivia, Tiananmen, or the rule of Indonesia on Western Papuasia are rather chilling.

Last edited by Avari on Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:24 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Drabbler
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Drabbler

PostSubject: Re: Good radio shows & podcasts   Good radio shows & podcasts EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 6:12 pm

There are a lot of great programmes on BBC Radio 4, as well as on Radio 7 (which functions like TV Land, but British and radio and not decaying). On the former, besides the topical Friday night comedies -- usually The News Quiz or The Now Show -- there are the Monday night shows, often the brilliant Just a Minute or I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue.
Back to top Go down
Spotts1701
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Spotts1701

PostSubject: Re: Good radio shows & podcasts   Good radio shows & podcasts EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 6:26 pm

A buddy of mine from school has a radio show on Washington, D.C. station WCTN:

Fat Man After Dark

It's a little of everything: a little off-beat music, a little politics, a little sports, a little entertainment, but it's pretty good stuff.
Back to top Go down
Mafiosa
You crack me up, little buddy!
You crack me up, little buddy!

PostSubject: Re: Good radio shows & podcasts   Good radio shows & podcasts EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 8:33 pm

This is the only correct answer.
Back to top Go down
EileenK98
Recovering Fanbrat
Recovering Fanbrat
EileenK98

PostSubject: Re: Good radio shows & podcasts   Good radio shows & podcasts EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 10:00 pm

Writing Excuses (website): "Fifteen minutes long because you're in a hurry, and we're not that smart." Well, actually they are, and funny, too. Hosted by novelists Brandon Sanderson and Dan Wells, and web cartoonist Howard Tayler, with occasional guests. I love it, and it's actually helped my writing.
Back to top Go down
Deutschtard
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Deutschtard

PostSubject: Re: Good radio shows & podcasts   Good radio shows & podcasts EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 3:30 am

World Peace Through Jackie Earle Haley (Website). World Peace Through Jackie Earle Haley is a podcast for the fans by the fans, made with the best intentions to have fun and encourage discussion on Jackie Earle Haley’s movies and characters, and the source material for both. Our number one rule (same as for all of our network sites and communities) is and always will be to respect Jackie Earle Haley above all else.
Back to top Go down
AulaCicero

PostSubject: Re: Good radio shows & podcasts   Good radio shows & podcasts EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 10:11 am

The History of Rome by Mike Ducan He makes Roman history very entertaining. Check it out, it is definitely worth it.
Back to top Go down
Saleha
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Saleha

PostSubject: Re: Good radio shows & podcasts   Good radio shows & podcasts EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 1:13 pm

The husband and I like Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me a lot.

ETA: Y HALO THAR MAFI [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://diva-urd.livejournal.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Good radio shows & podcasts   Good radio shows & podcasts Empty

Back to top Go down

Good radio shows & podcasts
Page 1 of 1